Botox Caused New Bags and Wrinkles - Woodcliff Lake, NJ

Very disappointed in my most recent botox...

Very disappointed in my most recent botox experience. 17 days ago I received 30 units in my forehead and between brow. It seemed to set in right away and by the next night my forehead was almost completely frozen. By day 5 I could not move my eyebrows at all. One eyebrow has lost its arch but the other has not, so I look very strange. When I smile I have bags and wrinkles under my eyes. My once big and expressive eyes look small, red and irritated. I've been having anxiety attacks and terrible headaches. This has aged me instead of making me look refreshed as it has in the past. I've been hiding behind dark rimmed glasses so that the bags aren't as noticeable and I'm trying not to smile. I just pray that when the botox wears off my eyes will go back to normal. Overall this is a terrible, depressing experience and I will never use botox again. I don't know how I will get through the next few months.

I am 5 weeks out and I am seeing a slight...

I am 5 weeks out and I am seeing a slight improvement. My eyes have come back to life which is a big relief. Still have the bunching/wrinkles under my eyes when I smile which is upsetting but I am hoping it will ease up as the botox wears off. I'm slathering on eye creams and gels and praying that the new wrinkles aren't permanent. Beginning to see some movement in the outer edges of my forehead, although one eyebrow raises higher than the other. This past weekend was the first time I ventured out without the dark rimmed glasses but was a little nervous that people would notice that my face looks strange. Hoping that in my next update I will be able to say this nightmare is behind me.

I am happy to report that I am almost 8 weeks out...

I am happy to report that I am almost 8 weeks out and seeing a lot of improvement. I have movement in my forehead, my eyes are back to their wide bright selves. I still have the new wrinkles under my eyes (even when I don't smile). There are slight bags under my eyes when I smile, not sure those will ever go away. Some days are better than others but I feel that I am out of the woods.

Almost a year...bad botox has (I think) finally worn off...I have eyelids again, frown wrinkles are back (don't care!) ...but deeper wrinkles over outside of eyebrows seem to be permanent now and there are still days when my left eyelid droops :(

Frozen - soooo happy to hear your update!! The Botox ran through your system pretty quick if you are starting to see recovery after just 8 (although I'm sure it felt like forever to you) weeks. I'm really, really glad things are going back to normal for you. My guess is the bags will go away as it continues to wear off. Please keep us posted.

Thanks again, Megan :) I buy my galvanic gels from a company named Rankines Remedies out of Canada. They're much more affordable than the tiny NuSkin vials, and you get a big tube. I have written them an email asking if they know whether treatments will help reverse the botox and/or if they have any suggestions for anything that might. I don't want to be doing galvanic treatments if they are going to EXTEND the effects! ~Sagging in Seattle
I have a Galvanic Spa from NuSkin. I used to use it regularly, but fell off the wagon. Am definitely going to get it out of the drawer. I read a bit about the Facemaster, and I think it's sort of the same thing...micro-currents?

OH...*frozen*...I just now found another site! I don't know if we can include links here, so I'll spell it out:
cosmeticsenhancementsforum dot com And the article is titled "How I got rid of Botox eyebrow drop in 2-5 weeks" ...sounds promising! I'll sign off so that you get this right away and can check it out! ...stay in touch!!!

Is anybody else out there following this thread, who knows whether or not galvanic treatments will speed recovery from bad botox?????? (I don't know that much about posting on RealSelf...should I post a separate comment?)
~Desperate in Seattle

I don't know for sure, but it seems a lot of the people who tout its benefits also sell them...so I'm a bit skeptical. I have heard other community members mention exercise, lots of water, green tea, and vitamins as ways they have helped Botox move through their systems faster.

Here are some other threads that talk about Galvanic Spa

Galvanic spa treatment worth it?

Can I Use a NuSkin Galvanic Spa After Botox Injections?

Does Galvanic Spa's Olive Oil Really Work?

Dear soon-to-be-UN*frozen*...I feel so much better having heard from you (misery loves company!). I remember reading that you had Botox once previously with no negative effects? How long did it take to wear off, then?

My Dr. said, AFTER she ruined my face, that this can happen to *some people* and that it all depends upon their facial muscles (obvious from reading this blog). But from your experience, it's obviously more random than that! I am also wondering/hoping/praying that since my reaction was so extreme, maybe it will wear off quicker too? Wishful thinking, I know.

I am outraged and feel victimized, because if the Dr. had told me that there was even a remote chance that this could happen, I would NEVER have gone ahead with it. I'd never considered Botox before, because I didn't like the way it made people's faces look (and my husband HATES it) but she said it wouldn't look like that, and it would only soften the frown lines!

She really feels bad, but this could have been avoided! After all the reading I've done now - too late - I am going to tell her that she needs to be warning her patients of the possible side effects in the future so that they can be spared this this horror, however temporary. Even a couple of days would be bad...but months? OMG. And I, like you, am so scared that all these additional bags and wrinkles are going to remain when the stuff wears off!

Imagine how you or I would feel if we had done this to someone!!!??? (Libras are such sensitive souls...we'd just DIE).

We have some very special VIP events coming up over the next few months. I'm at only 3 wks/2 days post. I guess I'll be going with long bangs and big glasses, and will look very strange. :*(

At this point in life, time generally speeds by, but it's crawling for me now. Per Megan's input (links to what people did that appeared to help it wear off sooner), I am working out every day, drinking a lot of water, and am going to pick up a liver cleanse today (can't hurt). I also saw a facial muscle toner on Hammacher Schlemmer (I get their emails) and am wondering if it might help. I'm going to check reviews first before I buy it. It's $219, but I gave a doctor more than that to RUIN my face and age me 15 years!

I remain sick about this...it's like going to the dentist and getting Novocaine that never wears off (I always went nuts even for those few hours!). When I am out in public and have to talk to people who know me, I am sure that they are wondering why I have little hooded pig eyes now, but I don't want to go into embarrassing explanations!

So...glasses/sunglasses, definitely. I already cut bangs (have a round face and don't usually wear them, so now I look like a little Dutch boy).

SIGH. I know that *this too shall pass,* and one day be just an unpleasant memory, and that I will have learned a very valuable lesson. Sad to think I didn't know better by this age, but she made it sound like it was nothing at all, and that there were no risks. What a world this has become where honesty is such a rare commodity.

Please keep me posted about anything you're trying that might be helping. I did read a plastic surgeon's post on some blog that said massage would NOT help.

Long comment, I know...you'll be on my heart...sending love and encouragement. :-)
thanks for your nice post! I have had botox before with great, very subtle results. Like you, I was never told that this was a possibility and my MD acted shocked when I called and told her how unhappy I was this time. Before I was always able to raise my eyebrows and never had any droop - and NEVER had bags or wrinkles under my eyes. I am very young looking and routinely get mistaken for being 10 yrs younger than I am. No more. I am so upset that I did this to myself. I am really afraid that the wrinkles are here to stay and that I have prematurely aged myself :(

the botox usually has lasted about 4 months for me but it wears off slowly so you should see improvement before that. I hate the fact that I am wishing away the next several months!

I also have events coming up, this weekend. I would otherwise be looking forward to them but now I am dreading them.

I have read here that some have tried acupuncture. I've also read one poster that bought Suzanne Somers Facemaster - google it, it may be something that could help. In the meantime I am slathering on eye cream, drinking lots of water and trying not to panic.

Hang in there, we'll get through it together. I look forward to the day I can freely laugh about it - without the eye bags and wrinkles!
Hi *frozen* (and Megan :)… Update re: my BOTOX NIGHTMARE: I’ve been doing treatments with my NuSkin Galvanic Spa after a hot shower, and can say that it definitely does make a difference. I bought one several years ago after a dramatic demo where they treat half your face and you can see the difference, between the two -- an obvious “lift”. I was faithful for awhile, but then fell off the wagon because the gels were so expensive. I later found gels from a Canadian company (Rankine’s Remedies) that are much more affordable, and work fine. But as these things go, it was hard to find time for the treatments, so I hadn’t done them for the past year or so. I’ve emailed RR to ask if the gels retain their potency for that long, but haven’t had a response, so decided to start doing treatments anyway.

After a treatment, focusing on the brow, eye area, and pushing up the brows with the instrument, my eyes are more open and I look a little bit more like my pre-Botox self. Not 100%, by any means, but better. My forehead also feels less leaden after a treatment. The “lift” lasts for most of a day, and makes me feel a lot better.

I’m also hoping that doing the Galvanic treatments regularly will prevent the new wrinkles created by the Botox (especially in the morning…OMG) and the flaps of sagging eyelid skin -- which I also never had before -- from becoming permanent. I am sure a younger face (42…no problem!) would recover, but at 63, when eyelids are starting to sag anyway, I really am fearful that I will not regain elasticity in that delicate skin (the left eye is terrible). If I don't, I will have to figure out how to afford eye lift surgery, which, after this debacle, terrifies me.

I can't speak to whether other at-home devices would do the same thing as the Galvanic Spa or not.

You can usually find one on eBay cheaper than from a Dealer. You don’t need a new deluxe model. Mine is the first model they made, and works fine.

BTW, *frozen,* I did pick up a pair of glasses, and with those and bangs, feel okay about talking to people now. I’ve also been massaging my forehead (pushing up and out, lifting the brows), and it feels better afterward.

Every day post injections is one day closer to us feeling okay again. How did your event go last weekend? Sending love…
Hi forever libra - good to hear that you are seeing improvement and that the dark rimmed glasses are helping you.

I ventured out this weekend for the first time in 5 weeks without my glasses on. I was a little self conscious but it was okay. As I wrote in my update, my eyes have finally come back to life. They are starting to look like my eyes again, and that is making a huge improvement in the way Iook and feel. Still have the bunching under my eyes when I smile and some new wrinkles under my eyes that definitely weren't there before. I am afraid those are here to stay :(. I think my eyelids will be okay, its under my eyes that I worry about. I have that "starburst" effect when I smile. Ugh.

Still have the wonky eyebrows but my forehead is loosening up a bit so I am hopeful that in a few more weeks I'll have more movement and my eyebrows will go back to normal.

I caved and bought a Facemaster. It arrived today. I'll let you know how it goes. so glad that the Galvanic is helping you - I had never heard of that before. Well, it seems I'm learning a lot of things I never knew before this botox debacle.

Hang in there, we'll make it.
Hi Frz...So glad to hear you're seeing mini-improvements. Give me an update after you've used the Facemaster? Also, does it say in the info that it uses Galvanic currents? I'm curious...can't find that info online.
From here on out, I'm only doing Galvanic (and maybe, if it does different stuff, I'll get a Facemaster, too?) treatments to this face. Nothing else artificial!
Keep in touch! FYL
Hi :) I've used the facemaster twice so far. Pretty easy to use. Not sure about the galvanic currents - I can't find anything about that. I assume I will have to use it for a few weeks before I see if it is beneficial. I think my eyebrows are starting to go back to normal - My right eyebrow was totally flat and it has a bit of an arch now. My main concern, and where I see no improvement, is the bags/wrinkles under my eyes when
I smile. I am really afraid that these are here to stay.
Me Again...Just now saw your April 20 reply...Didn't realize I have to log on to see the thread...for some reason I don't always receive email notices of your posts? I'm still doing Galvanic treatments almost daily. If I don't, my left eye is still very droopy. They make a noticeable difference. It feels like I can raise my eyebrows a tiny bit more these days, but my forehead is still very "dead." I suspect that what I believe to be"improvement" is just that I have adapted to seeing myself look like this :( I, like you, am still praying that the new wrinkles won't be permanent (the vertical ones on my forehead, which I never had before, are worse every day)...and that the delicate eye-lid skin which now droops in folds (and never did, before), will somehow magically regain its elasticity once this POISON wears off. I am still (and will forever be) mad at myself for being spontaneous and for trusting a doctor's words without checking IN DEPTH beforehand. Now I'm scared I'll need eyelid surgery if the droopy, loose skin remains...and what might go wrong with THAT? If something did, it would be IRreversible! Got a cute new haircut and color to feel perkier. The bangs cover my left eye (the worse). I also outline my eyes and wear lots of mascara to try to make them look better. Saw hints for making up "hooded eyes" in a Cosmo mag at the salon :)
Hi - sounds like the Galvanic spa is working for you, I'm glad! I know what you mean about confusing improvement with getting used to the new "normal". I have more movement in my forehead now - no more cement. Its a relief. Still have the bags and wrinkles under my eyes when I smile. I am 6.5 weeks out from being injected. Hard to imagine how new wrinkles can be erased, you know? I think I need to get over myself and accept the fact that I am 40 something and I will get wrinkles. At least now I am smiling more freely, and it feels good. Hang in there, keep me posted on your improvement. I'm glad I found you :)
Hi forever - I am also a Libra :). I did read your post and I think I commented on it! I'm sorry that this happened to you too. I am so upset and frustrated. I am at 4 weeks today. I would say that it peaked at 3 weeks, and I think (I hope) that I am seeing tiny improvement in my eyes. They are no longer red and irritated and seem to not look as small. after a week they were beady, red and looked sunken, horrible! The bags and wrinkles under my eyes when I smile are still in full force. That is the worst part for me - I can handle the weird spock eyebrow (only one is like that - the other is flat!) but the bags and wrinkles are just too much - it has aged me by years. (I am 42). I pray that my face can recover from this but when I see the bags and wrinkles I am afraid that I am stuck with them. I hate the cement feeling in my forehead, and I can only raise one eyebrow. I look really strange.

From what I have read here, it seems that most people start to see improvement around 8-10 weeks. We'll have to help each other through the next month or so until we get there too. In the meantime, my dark rimmed glasses have been a lifesaver. They help hide my uneven eyebrows and the bags under my eyes. Definitely pick up a pair.
Dear *frozen*...My post of yesterday is almost exactly the same as yours (I don't know if you can search for it or not, but my name is: foreveryounglibra) If it helps to know that another woman is suffering the same as you, I am. Did Megan send you the link to the ways that seem to help Botox wear off sooner? If not...ask her. It sounds like we're both at about the 3-week point. have high BP, and the extreme stress of this is very bad for me. I am sure you are thanking God, as I am, that this is only temporary. I will NEVER, EVER do anything to my face again! It's actually a pretty decent face for my age, but now I look 15 years older! >:( In my case, I'd bought a coupon for spider vein treatment, but the doctor does botox and fillers, too. When we determined that I wasn't a candidate for the vein treatment, I'd already spent the money on the coupon, so it was a spur-of-the-moment decision to do the Botox, which she said would do no more than relax the frown muscles. My entire forehead feels like a board, eyebrows sag (except on the outside ends where they arch like Spock's), my eyelids droop, my formerly large, expressive eyes look pig-like and bloodshot. I wear sunglasses everywhere (and this is Washington State...not much sun!). I am going to pick up some regular glasses with clear lenses just to hide my eyes. Sending comfort & hugs...
Hi Megan - thanks for your nice words. It was the same injector who previously had given me great results. I'm not even 3 weeks out yet and praying that it doesn't get any worse before it starts to get better. I am done with botox.

Oh my gosh, I am so sorry to hear what is going on for you. The good thing is Botox is not permanent, so it should all wear off. I'm sure the next few months will be trying, but please keep in mind as each day passes it is that much closer to it being out of your system.

Do you mind me asking if this was a different injector or the same one you have used in the past?