Update -11 months post Tummy Tuck

It's nearly been a year ago since I had my tummy...

It's nearly been a year ago since I had my tummy tuck done. In the beginning I was not prepared for what I had gotten myself into or had realized I had tubes inserted into my skin just below my incision for draining. Or that staples where holding me together. Let me not forget how much pain it was to laugh or cough. Not being able to sleep on my stomach or not having sex for a while or if so being really careful. But all that's in the past now. I do not regret going forward with having this procedure done at all. All the discomfort was sooo worth it to me. I am still a tiny teny bit swollen in the lower abdomen region and still trying to work on helping lighten my scar. I can also tell that not all the feeling is fully back but I heard the swelling and feeling can take a year to 18 months for complete healing. So again this is just an update and will post another update when I visit my PS in December for my year check up. I would like to add that my PS came highly recommended. I paid a little more for his services but having a TT is a major surgery that I wouldn't risk my results or life for a cheaper price.

1 year update with PS in December 2013

Saw my PS in December and he thinks all is healing well and looks great. My major concern was the center of my scar going horizontal. The scar is hard there and I wish I didnt but cant help but nick it with the razor when I shave. So he suggested scar revision about an inch long to remove the hard scar tissue and possible give it a smoother feel as the rest of the scar. However I was only home for a short visit (temporarily living in Shanghai) so I will have that done in July 2014 when I am home for a longer time.
I did however see a dermatologist here (in Shanghai) to lighten the scar and found out some information that was new news to me. I was hoping to have laser scar surgery, but my dermatologist told me that cause of my skin tone being darker (Im hispanic) laser scar wouldnt benefit me and may make the area darker. So she prescribed me a new scar oil that I did apply for over a month and was able to see a slight difference especially only on the sides of my scar where they were the shade of the scar wasnt that bad to begin with. She suggested I can try a skin peel and Im thinking I might go back and take her up on that. Just wanted to post my new info. Although I am 14 months post-op I want to say that 90% of the feeling in my lower abdomen has come back. I can pinch my scar area and not feel a thing. Will post again hopefully if I decide to do the skin peel and more than likely will post back in July after seeing my PS for a small scar revision
Dr. Kirsch

My doc was great. I have noting negative to say about him. Wait times where a little lengthy at times but I never felt rushed during my visits. His office and staff made me feel comfortable and he does surgeries at his private office which I liked not having to go to the hospital. He's great.

You look so amazing, and thank for sharing 1 po. I hope I look that good too! I will also be paying a lot more for my surgeon, and he did my facelift, so don't have the jitters as many might. I am glad to hear your feeling is coming back, as that is one thing I am jittery about (staying numb). Did you have much itching with the nerve regeneration. I've heard/read that can be unnerving.
Nerve regeneration can take up to a year, and can feel like itching and sharp jolts of pain or electricity. In most TT patients, they are left with an area of permanent numbness in a triangle from belly button to scar. But really, an area of numbness is so worth the results! I had mine done in July, and the area of numbness doesn't bother me at all! It's not like it's painful...it doesn't affect my daily life whatsoever! Numbness in the tummy is fairly irrelevant...a numb hand or foot would be an entirely different matter! Lol!
Thank you so much! It is nice to know where and how to expect the numbness, since my face regained all feeling, but I think the tt is worth the triangle. I've scheduled my tt for April 16!
I too paid extra for my surgeon knowing that I would be in fantastic hands. You look amazing! Questions for you: When were you able to fit again into your pre-op clothes? Did you take measurements at all after the surgery and see if they were in fact bigger or smaller than before the surgery? When were you able to walk upright again? :-)
Thank you for the comment :) I would say I did fit back into pre- op clothes but maybe after 2 months. I stuck to the comfort of jogging pants and large t shirts cause my surgery was in December (cold weather). By 4 -6 months I definitely fit back into my normal size. I wore the compression garment at night to sleep and spanxx during the day. I did not take measurements :(. But that's cause I know swelling can take a year to completely subside. Somedays I had more swelling than others so the swelling really plays at major part in size. I was able to walk upright at 3 weeks. I hope I helped. I hope I helped answer your questions :)
I just realized that I asked you the same questions on MY review. Good grief. I'm losing it! The Spanx are too tight! LOL You have been so helpful, thank you. And PS - You look WONDERFUL!
Lol....no worries. Must be the spanx ;).... You gave me a good laugh with that. :) Thanks again.
That was very encouraging to me thank you
You r welcome. Are u considering getting a TT?
Yes my surgery date is Dec 12. I'm scheduled for a TT bbl and lipo. Im really nervous bc I'm a diabetic and I keep reading the horror stories about necrosis
First Congrats!!! on committing and already having a date scheduled to a new you :). Second... BBL... Im jealous :) lol. And my only advice or suggestion for nerves is no more horror stories. Look up more positive information from patients that have diabetes as well and have gone through similar procedures. Maybe your Dr. can provide you with contact info of previous patients of his/hers who also have diabetes and can share successful stories. I'm a smoker and quit 3 months before TT, cause smoking also affects blood flow. which necrosis scared me too. I never got it. I also had a BA and I was really worried after reading horror story after horror story. I almost backed out. Nerves are normal. I am here for your support and I wish i had more knowledge to shed light on your concern :) You're definitely at the right sight to seek and read stories from all kinds of people sharing similar experiences. You are not alone. Okay remember positive knowledge for your nerves, read up on the success stories :) Good luck to you now and then :) Please post after your surgery date so I know all went well. You're in my prayers :))
Strict, strict, strict control of your blood sugars from now until like summer will be key for you and your healing. Watch it very closely, and you should be fine! I would check my sugars 5 or 6 times a day for the next few months...fasting, 3 2-hr post-prandial (after every meal), and occasionally one in the middle of the night. So you can identify patterns or problems quickly and treat it accordingly. Best of luck to you!
Oh thank you so much xoxoxo to you
Yes I'm trying. Its so hard I'm scared to eat :)
Wow u look brilliant :-)
You do look great!! May need to ask ps about laser to lighten scar
Thank you. Yes I have considered laser surgery for the scar :). I'm guessing without it that it may take years before it fades.
How long does it take before you can get back to work?
Work wasn't a topic with my PS since I dont work. I didn't drive myself around until 3 weeks post op if that says anything. This is definitely a ? for your doctor.
I have a semi-physical job as a Labor and Delivery nurse, and 7 weeks was almost too soon. LONG recovery. Months. Not enough people research the recovery very well beforehand and are surprised. Very long, difficult, and also worth it. 16 weeks out, now, and still not back to normal but doing well and pleased with my results.
You are exactly right about the research on recovery. I read only what I wanted to know not what I didnt know. Its an abrasive procedure and recovery is long. 16 weeks... I remember that stage too. I still wore my compression garment at night. Good luck to you in your recovery. This site is filled with info and great advise.
You look awesome!!!!
You really look great.  Have you lost weight since TT and how much.  I had mine 4 months ago n I have the same issue with scars being dark.  Also working on lightening them.