Panniculectomy - Winston Salem, NC

Hi everyone! My name is Lori and I had a lap band...

Hi everyone! My name is Lori and I had a lap band in 2009 and have lost approximately 60 lbs. I have a Grade 4 (hangs mid thigh) pannus that I plan on having removed. I am having to write to my insurance company Cigna to see if they will grant prior-authorization, if not I will have to pay ~$10,000 out of pocket. I plan on mailing my letter and all of my supporting documents by the end of this week or early next week. Has anyone here had any experience with Cigna? Also, I would love to hear your experiences. I love reading all of the posts on here!

Thanks,
Lori

My insurance paid for the panni part and I paid the rest. I didn't have muscle repair but did the rest of a tt. Without a doubt I think your insurance will approve you. I had lap band too. And lost 80 pounds. You are gong to feel like a new woman. I am very excited for you and can't wait to see your updated after pictures.
Hope all will work out for you. My apron covers my mons pubis and I was approved by BCBS. Wshing you luck!

Hi there, welcome and thanks so much for sharing your journey with us!

Congratulations on your weight loss, that's a huge achievement and something you should be really proud of! Good luck with your insurance, I hope you get quick approval. Please do keep us updated with your progress!

Now the waiting begins...

I mailed my paperwork to Cigna on Friday (9/20/13) now I just have to wait patiently for an answer. I have faith that this is going to work out in my favor!

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

I pray it's only a road block ....

I spoke with my insurance company today (Cigna) and they told me that they do not accept clinical notes from patients that they will only accept it from a doctor ... not sure how to proceed now. I guess I will have to let my plastic surgeon know and see if he will be willing to submit it on my behalf.

Hi! I've lost 123 pounds and I'm undecided about getting a panniculectomy or a lower body lift. I believe I'm a grade 3. I also have had trouble getting a straight answer about a panniculectomy. I talked to my insurance and they told me to talk to my doctor. My Internal Doctor told me to talk to my Family Doctor, he didn't know of any plastic surgeons so I should talk to my vertical sleeve surgeon. I also talked to my Dermatologist and he suggested I speak with my Family Doctor. I then talked to a plastic surgeon and said I should get a lower body lift, a panniculectomy will leave me with dog ears and he wanted to charge $23,000! I don't know what to do?
Oh my goodness it sounds like you are getting the run around. I pray that you find a good surgeon soon. Try to make sure you get one that is board certified in plastic surgery. If they know what they are doing they should be able to prevent the dog ears with a panniculectomy.
My plastic surgeon is submitting it now. I assume he didn't offer to do it in the beginning because from his end he is considering it cosmetic.

Just Waiting...

I talked with Cigna today and they have received the paper work from my plastic surgeon. The said it will be a 30 day turn around time. I am hoping it is less than that, but at least I have a time period!

Did you get approved?
I just found out yesterday that I WAS approved!!!!
I just got approved by CIgna on the first try. Also with a grade 4 panni. Waiting to schedule a date before the end of the year (since my out of pocket max has been reached)

APPROVED

I just found out yesterday that I was approved for my panniculectomy! I am so elated! I will keep everyone up to date as things happen.

Congrats!!! I can't wait to see your journey :)
I had a gastric bypass and have lost 170 pounds. I spoke to my primary doctor today. He is sending me to a plastic surgeon this week. He confirmed it was medically necessary. Has anyone used Medicaid/Medicare for their insurance coverage regarding a panni
I have medicare as my primary insurace and humana as my second . with me medicare approved my panni and  they did pay a flat fee of 1100.00 to my ps.. As far as I know thats all they pay.  If you want a belly button redo and skin pulled down above the bb, you have to pay the  difference.  I did pay it to  get better results. And it was so worth it. Good luck.

I Have A Surgery Date

So, I have a surgery date of December 4th! I am so excited, but also know that I have a lot to do at work and home to make sure I am ready for my absence from work and my weeks at home recuperating.

Does any one have any last minute advice?

So happy for you.. Keeping you in my prayers. Dec 4th is my preop day.
CONGRATULATIONS! You will love love love your results! I can't wait to see you after your panni. Which happens to be on my husbands birthday :-) Make sure you have plenty of cheap pillows, they were my best friend for a couple weeks after. You can put them behind your back, under the knees anywhere that starts to feel weak and needs a little extra support. Listen to your doctor to the letter. I had no complications like infections or anything like that. Just let whom ever is around you do everything. You will need lots of rest. After a few weeks you will be ready to start getting back into life. Best wishes. I will be watching.
I got my surg date today...Dec 13th. Wouldn't you just know it is Friday the 13th lol.

Pre-Op Appointment this Week

So it is getting closer & closer .... I have my pre-op appointment this Friday! Only 16 more days til surgery day!!!!

Does anyone have any advice on clothing to wear the first few weeks? When were you able to return to work?

Keep us posted.
the drains were a pain until I figured out something that worked great for me. I put on 2 pair of loose underwear, of course all your old undrewear will be loose when this is done. I put the drain bulbs in the front above my pubic bone, it kept the drains out of the way and secured so they wouldn't pull. My ps had a good idea too, I will tell you how they did it but I still liked my way better. they had a long piece of flat rope like material and made a necklace type thing, then they had a large safty pin on each drain pinned to the rope. Ther is a small area at the top of the drain bulb that you can put the pin in and it not affect the function. Either way will work well. Just need to make sure the bulbs and the lines that go to them are not in the way of getting sat on or pinched off. There was a couple stitches in the drain on me that helped to keep them in place too. However I didn't know that until he went to remove the first one. It would be really hard to pull one out because it is in deep, really deep. I have heard all kinds of things here about getting the drain out from good to not so good. for me it was fast and very little pain. It only took a couple seconds anyway. Hope this helps a little.
As far as what to wear, you will have on a binder and I just wore like sweat type pants and T shirts over the binder. If I remember right seems like the first couple of days I had a house dress, kinda like a thin robe with short sleeves and snapped all the way up that I wore. As far as return to work, if your having a panni without muscle repair your recovery will be more like mine, and I was weak for a couple weeks after that. If I did have a job I would think I would have been ok for light desk type work at three weeks. The recovery is not really bad if you listen to your ps and do nothing but rest the first couple weeks. The key is don't try to do anything except go to the restroom. That's it. It will be worth it. Best wishes!

Tomorrow is the BIG Day

Well tomorrow is the big day. I am excited, nervous, anxious and all those other normal emotions when getting ready for something this serious. I know I will do great. I will try to post pictures throughout my recovery.

I had my preop apt today. 9 days til surgery. Waiting to hear about your experience. Hope all went well!
I am so very excited for you. Hope to hear from you soon to see how things went!
Good luck to you! Hope to hear from you soon!!

Surgery Went Well

My surgery went as expected. I hope to post some pics in a few days. Thanks to everyone for all of your prayers.

Happy to hear all went well!!! Hope you're healing well
Glad you made it out of surgery fine.. be blessed
Glad to hear all went well. You must be doing great to have been online already. It makes me optomistic

1 week postop

Today is 1 week since I had my procedure. I have had very little pain, just a little tenderness. My biggest complaint is itching from the irritation of the tape on the bandage, which I have been given permission to remove!!!

I am not totally sure if I am happy with my results yet or not. I am happy that I can now see my lap, but the surgeon didn't do exactly what we talked about in my first visit. I am thinking he changed his approach because I was able to get insurance to cover so he just did what is text book per insurance. I hope to have some pictures soon.

I am 3 months post op from breast reduction and am still super swollen, its so odd, but now that it is all off my insecurities have just moved to other parts of my body like my thighs look sooooooo huge to me...it is what it is....i can see why people do get obsessed with plastic surgery...it is like magic in a way..instant gratifacation....im very happy i did have the procedures....and now the hard thing to do is get to the gym and get motivated
Oooops also had panniculectomy
Good to know that you have done so well. Makes me optimistic! You won't really be able to tell whether you are happy til the post op puffiness goes away. My procedure is TOMORROW!

10 Day Post-Op

Here are some 10 day post op pics....

good pics. I came home from the hospital yesterday and so far so good. I am itching like crazy under this binder though.
Glad you are doing well. The pain is unbearable at times.

12 days Post Op

Today has been a good day, starting to feel like normal again. Still have 2 drains in my pubic area that are starting to get irritating. I am hoping to have them removed tomorrow and hoping to return to work later this week!

Great post op pics. Did they tell you how many pounds they took off?
They took off roughly 17 lbs.!
I would bet you feel so much better now that your pannus is off. And you get to go shopping for new clothing. That was the fun part for me. You look so much better, I am sure you feel that way also. Congrats!!!

Post Op Day 14 - 2nd post op visit

They only removed 1 of the 2 remaining tubes. I have to return on Friday in hopes of having the last one removed. I won't be returning to work this week as I had hoped because I work at a hospital and can't go back with tubes and open surgical wounds. So hopefully I can return on Monday!

I also work at a hospital and fear of returning with an incision. Take it ease don't over do it.
Lori that's great. The 27 pounds my PS removed isn't missed.
You will still get to shop because the part that is now gone is going to make everything looser. And clothing is going to fit so much better. But yes wait for swelling to go down.

I can wear jeans again!

I haven't been able to wear a pair of blue jeans in years! It was such a good Christmas present to myself to be able to fit in a pair!

Guess you're having a Merry Christmas after all, huh? Congrats again!
Congrats on the jeans! I haven't worm jeans in so long...cannot wait to try some on. I got 1 drains out and still have 2 for at least another week. Other than that things are good! Merry Christmas to you!
Look at you hot MAMA!

3 Weeks Post Op

I am now 3 weeks post op. I returned to work on Monday and was only able to make it half of a day, I was so exhausted. On top of being 3 weeks post op I have a cold which I know isn't helping things. I took Tuesday and Wednesday off for Christmas and am back at work today. Still feeling very, very tired, just hoping I can make it a little longer today than Monday.

My incision is looking great, still waiting on my stitches to dissolve. I do still have some swelling; worse at times than others. I have my next post op appointment next week.

I hope everyone is well and had a Merry Christmas!

So glad you are doing well. Take it easy. Don't work to hard. Most importantly, listen to your body. God bless.

4 Weeks Post Op

So 4 weeks today I took a plunge and had a surgery to improve my quality of life. I do not regret that decision one bit and will work every day to make my life even better. I have attached some pics both with clothes and with my abdomen exposed and some close ups of my incision. I go for my 4 week post op appointment tomorrow and plan to ask how much swelling I have or if he thinks all of the swelling is gone. I have been having some burning sensations in my belly button, which wasn't touched during surgery, and under the incision on both the left and right sides. Nothing appears to be infected so I think maybe it is just some stretching or the sutures maybe on the inside ... Anyone else experienced this?

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

More pics

Sorry these didn't post earlier...

My appointment went great. He said I do have a little bit of swelling and that should be mostly gone in about a month or so. He said my incision looks great and I go back in a month. Oh and the burning pulling sensation is completely normal! Hope everyone had a wonderful New Years!
I have a pulling pain in my left side I just experienced it lastnight :( oh what fun it was... not really but u look really good I'm sure your Dr will tell u that u have a lot of swelling but it's ok we will get thru it soon
Looking good. I am having burning and spam pain. I think the nerves are waking up. Wish they would wake up a little less painful...lol..

2 Months Post Op

So today I am 2 months post op. It has been a good two months. Prior to surgery I was wearing a size 28 pants and can now comfortably fit in a size 22 and even a size 20 a little snug. I also feel more confident wearing shorter, tighter shirts. I do still have a good size abdomen that I am going to begin working on. Can I say that I don't still suffer from body image issues, no I can't but that is just part of it. I know my body will never be perfect no matter how much surgery I may or may not have and I just have to learn to accept it and love it just the way it is. I go for my 2 month post op appointment next week and will update again then.

Hope everyone is doing well!

You're looking really good.
I bet you feel amazing... I'm ready to work my abdomen off... hope I get my confidence back I feel like I'm gaining weight not losing
I do feel a lot better than I did. After my surgery I weighed 243 and for the past month I have been ranging from 249-252. I have gained some confidence back but know that there is more in there somewhere.

Final Visit

I had my final visit with the PS today. He took some pictures and said that I looked good. He told me to lose the weight I needed to lose and come back to see him and we would go from there!

Hey sweet. congrats on your surgery. is the doctor planning on removing anymore of the skin or is that the end of it for you? Is you belly button off center? will they fix it? thanks hun xoxo happy healing sweetie and best wishes
The doctor wants me to lose some more weight and come back to him when I was ready. However, we would have to go through the whole insurance process again. Due to the way my remaining skin hangs my belly button looks off center. I was really hoping that he would have moved it when he did surgery but he didn't think that was the best option for me at the time. When/if I have additional surgery it will be moved to its proper place.
You do look great. Congrats! How are things going now?

Six Months Post Op

I am six months post op now. My self esteem & confidence levels are really great and I feel a lot better than I did prior to surgery. Working on my additional weight loss must become more of a priority for me though ... I just can't get motivated. Any suggestions???

OK that sounds like a good idea. i know sometimes they do two stage procedures for safety. it sounds like your surgeon has his head screwed on. I hope you are successful in your endeavors and everything works out for you sweet. sending hugs from australia
Winston Salem Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Schneider has been awesome so far. He is always there to answer questions and very promptly. I look forward to him doing my surgery!