Should I Do Fraxel Laser for These Scars - Winnipeg, MB

I'm indian and my skin tone is olive kind of.I...

I'm indian and my skin tone is olive kind of.I have some ice pick acne scars and i went to a dermatologist in my area where the doctor told me to do fraxel but as i have darker skin tome the laser might damage my skin.Now what should i do?

Manitoba Dermatologic Surgeon

i did 3 fraxel treatments for acne scarring and I am worse for the wear.. beware.. scars will harden and not just go away as they say.. 8 years since I did it, and I don't like the results.. pain and frustration..

I do not advice you to do any lasers because as someone said it might makes your skin worse. Talking about my self, I did 1 session of fraxil and I did not see any difference then I went to Vancouver, Canada and after 6 months of fraxel I did something called laser genisis or silk peel and now you do not want to look at my face ); after the third session I had hundreds of pimpile and I had to take accuatane to stop acne and I had more scars. So I advice you not to do it coz your scars are not bad

I was sold that fraxel lasers would help.. paid about 2500.00 dollars for 3 treatments and I am worse after the fact.. scars have hardened and now hurt.. 8 years later, and I hate doctors for recommending it..
Jpnunn, how long after your procedures you noticed hardening? Is it only existing acne scars hardened or the entire treated area? I'm am worried of this complication on top of my texture issues after fraxel I hate what this " safe" treatment has done to my face. I never expected perfection only slight improvement of scars but what a shock when my entire face was scarred from fraxel, after I was told it was impossible for fraxel to harm me. How are you managing your hardened areas now?
these scares looking very bad on face...go for doctor to take advice for scares....
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Hi, Fraxel is safe in Indian skin as long as you follow the recommendations for skin care and use your sunscreen religiously.
if you have real cystic acne scars, fraxel laser is bad.. it will harden the scar tissue and cause more pain and frustration... it may work for wrinkles and very small acne scars, but.. beware.. doctors are selling stuff as much as car salesmen..
Please do a lot of research before you mess with lasers. I am a 47 year old RN who struggled with acne in my teens and continue to struggle with the acne scarring. I have had 2 dermabrasions, of which the results were impressive but the results included some hypopigmentation, fraxel and fillers. My experience with the fraxel has been a disaster. I know they say the results are impressive but the side effects can be devastating. I am very fair and considered a good candidate for laser treatment. Unfortunatley, after my 4 fraxel treatment I was left with tons of pigmenation and dx with melasma. My dermatologist suggested it might be a side effect of the fraxel. In addition, the scars did not improve and there are areas on my face that have a rough texture in addition to the discoloration. The dermal fillers, while more expensive, have worked very well for me. The good news is they are not permanent and if you don't like the results they can be reversed. If you do choose the laser treatment I hope it works and you do not have the repercussions I did. No one should have to live with acne scars.
agree.. I paid for 3 fraxel's and my scars hardened up and got worse for the wear.. I lost trust in dermatologist after that..
Visit and/or google ipl laser damage support before you do. Be careful, lasers are like playing roulette with your skin. It can make things worse.

I'm so glad you are researching this out before moving forward with treatment!!

I would encourage you to post your question, along with the photos in our Q&A section. That way you can hear opinions from the board certified doctors who volunteer on RealSelf.

Here are some other Q&A's that may be of interest to you:

Fraxel Laser or Repair on Olive Skin?

Olived Skin Hispanic with Acne Scars (Boxcar/rolling) - Best Treatment?

What is the Best Laser to Use on Acne Scars (Pitted) on Light Olive, Hispanic Skin?