Calf Implants for CMT Muscle Loss - Wilmington, NC

I did a lot of research before making the plunge!...

I did a lot of research before making the plunge! The total cost was around $6400!! My calf muscles had wasted away due to the neuromuscular disease CMT (Charcot-Marie-Tooth.) I did not expect a huge change, but I admit that I was hoping for a more desirable result. There is only a small change. The first 2 weeks or so were very painful. I couldn't bend my legs to stand for a while. However, I chose not to use pain meds. That would help. The surgeon used 2 small silicone implants and placed 1 in the back of each leg. The incision goes behind the knees, so that's why it's more painful. Although my legs are still small, I do feel somewhat less insecure about them now. I am more inclined to wear shorts or a dress. My friends/family were very supportive. I realized that no one really cared about changes to my body! They all still see me as the same person...with or without muscles! That's what I personally gained from this experience!

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, UNCWGirl. It sounds like quite a painful surgery.

Having an impact on your mental outlook is as important as anything physical the doctor could have done, IMHO. I'm glad you at least got some results from it, and that you're feeling better now. :)

Wilmington Plastic Surgeon

The doctor and staff are very helpful. They answered questions thoroughly and tried to make me feel comfortable along the way. There were wait times, but not too bad. It would be more helpful if the doctor offered to take photos post-surgery. The nurse took some pre-surgery. Maybe I should have recommended or asked for that. It should be done with all patients, in my opinion. I put the charges on a CareCredit card with 18mths no interest. After 18mths, it must be paid of transfered to some other card, or VERY HIGH interest will be charged for the prior 18mths and then on! The high interest is ridiculous, and is not explained well to patients. A lot of naive people get tricked, and end up paying that high interest. This card is not issued by the doctor/clinic.