Why Did I Wait This Long? Well Worth the Pain and Discomfort.

I had a full Tummy tuck with lipo on March 4, 2009...

I had a full Tummy tuck with lipo on March 4, 2009. I am 16 days post op in the picture and there is tape over my incision line. I am absolutely thrilled with the results so far although I still have a bit of swelling mostly on my lower abdomen. My cost included the surgeon's fee, operating room fee and anesthesia doctor fee and included a full tummy tuck with lipo of the flanks and back. I am 37 and 5'3", weigh about 150 and I'm sure I'll be even more excited when I get to my ideal weight of about 130. I had two children and although not a lot of loose skin I wanted to get rid of stretch marks and not have that roll when you bend over.

The pain was very severe the first four days and it was difficult to sit up without having someone push or pull me up. The worst pain was from the lipo on my back and where the drains were inserted. I was able to shower on day three and walked as much as I could. On day five I felt completely different and didn't even have to take Tylenol. They also removed the first of three drains on day five. One week after surgery my last two drains were removed as well as the stitches around my belly button and the incision spots from the lipo on my back. I wore both a compression girdle and one for my abdomen for a few days after that and now just where the girdle except when showering. I will wear that until six weeks post op. I have an incision from hip bone to hip bone but asked that it be placed as low as possible and that I wanted as many stretch marks as possible hidden or gone. The scar is nothing compared to having a flat abdomen and the stretch marks gone. I can hide it completely under my bikini line. I can feel the swelling and it is very sore where my stitches are all the way to between my breasts but that goes down everyday.

Here are some of my recommendations for anyone considering a tummy tuck or about to have one:

Get a few consultations and check out each doctors history. I knew as soon as I met my doctorA I would go with based on my research and how comfortable I Once you decide on a doctor, ask your doctor a lot of questions even if the questions seem silly or trivial. I made a list and asked stuff about the procedure, his background, what his favorite surgeries were, how many he had done, how long he had worked with that particular facility, how much pain there would be, what pain medications he typically prescibed for the procedure, what kind of complications, where the surgery would be performed, and many, many more. I also made sure he was board certified and checked with the medical licensing board for his status and any complaints, etc.

I was very concerned about getting sick from the anesthesia from past experiences and there was no way I wanted to throw up after having a tummy tuck. Talk to your doctor about it and the anestheologist too. I took motion sickness pills and they also put a patch behind my ear prior to surgery that I wore for three days. Also, I got a prescription for nausea once I got home but never had to take it.

Get up and walk as much as possible as soon as you are given the okay afer surgery. I was amazed at how much better it made me feel and it eased my worries about blood clots or anything like that. Of course don't do any other excercises or straining. I feel better like I can do things but have to remember that I am still healing underneath.

Shower as soon as your doctor says it is okay. It was hard to stand up and to reach different parts but you will feel so much better after getting cleaned up. Your skin will thank you too.

If you don't have one already, save extra money and buy a recliner. I slept on the couch for a week so I could have my back elevated as well as something under my knees. I could lay a little flatter each day that passed but it would help so much to have had a recliner to help me get up. I also bought a long, body length, soft fuzzy pillow which is great because I can wrap it around my back and have arm rests or I can put it under my legs or fold it in half behind my back so I don't sink into the couch as much when I sit down. I will buy my girlfriend a recliner as a gift if she ever decides to have a tummy tuck.

Make sure you buy your compression garment before surgery if you need one and try it on. I am very short waisted and the band on one of mine came up above my breasts. Buy two if you can so one can wash why you are wearing the other.

So far I am so happy with the tummy tuck. I will post more pics after some more healing.

Dr. Scott Green

Would definitely recommend based on my personal experience and results as well as my experience with the entire facility and other staff.

Can someone tell me the difference between pain that is uncomfortable and paint that is intolerable and miserable? And which one of the above happens most often?
What did you look like before the operation?
my tummy tuck is 8 days and I know I am very nervous. I am cleaning the house and shopping for 'granny Pants, draw string pants, warm socks, pillows, pillows, pillow, soft wash cloths and an box filled with items that were recommended - I was shocked that I as prescribed morphine for my post-up pain tolerance - had had myself believing that this was going to be a whole let better than it's sounding. Any one want to add to this?
You look gr8t I'm looking into getting a TT.. I might check into your Doc..
HI, i just had a TT.. You look great by the way. What kind of type do you have over that helps flatten scar?

You look amazing!! I plan on having a consult with the same Dr. I hope my results will be as great as yours.

I would like to know if you always need to have a tummy tuck with lipo of the flanks or just the TT . Is this an option?

Oh my gosh! You look awesome!!. I had a consult with Dr. G a few months back and am working up the courage to book the surgery. I had twins a few years ago that were 8 lbs each and my tummy is a mess. I have been terrified about finding the right surgeon because there are so many horror stories out there. I got such a great vibe from Dr. G and have thought all his results looked good too. So good to see someone post on here who went to him! Congrats!

You look great. I am scheduled for a TT on Monday, April 13, 2009. With only 2 days remaining, I am getting nervous.
hi. are you using scar strips? if so what kind? im using scarguard. seems good so far.. anyone have feedback on either?
I have 3M micropore tape over the incision and change it every three or four days. It is actually pretty nice because it is skin colored and helps it from not rubbing against my compression garment. Doc told me to use this for the next month to help flatten the scar and kind of protect it. When I go back in I am going to ask him about maderma or silicone sheets to start making it softer and hopefully even flatter. I know it will take about a year to fade.
You have made me a little less fearful of my surgery to come .. I am having a full tummy tuck with lipo of the flanks on April 16, 2009, I am so excited and afraid at the same time. I have been thinking about this for 5 yrs and finally got the nerve and my finances in order. My worst fear was of the pain to come, but as you explained it makes it a little easier to bare. Thank you ... By the way you look great .. congrats ..
You look fantastic! I can't believe you picture is 16 days post op. Amazing! I am scheduled for a TT/BA and lipo of the flanks and back on April 16th. I am 36, 5'5" and 150 lbs. I hope I look as great as you when it is done! I'm looking forward to seeing more pics. I'll post mine after surgery next month. Take care!