Rhinoplasty- regret having it done by a doctor who did not have experience with short noses

I know this isn't technically a review but......

I know this isn't technically a review but... I figured I share my "before" experiences with you before going under the knife.

I am scheduled to have my rhinoplasty next week and I am very nervous about it. Below I provided a few photos of my current look. Basically I have wanted a more slender/aesthetically pleasing nose all my life. As a child, I was often called Miss Piggy because of my upturned, pudgy nose (as well as for my very full face which doesn't seem to be getting thinner as I age even though I am of normal weight!). Yes I know my nose isn't THAT bad but this is still something I've wanted for a very long time. I call it a "tweaking."

So the objectives of this surgery are to 1. slim my nose down (bridge and tip), 2. round out my bridge at it is completely flat (almost a square) since at a 3/4 view it will make my nose look like it has a bump when it doesn't! and 3. lower the tip as it is upturned a little too high.

I will reveal my doctor after the surgery... So wish me luck! Please positive comments as I am nervous enough as it is haha

Sorry for the circles over my eyes in the photos...

Sorry for the circles over my eyes in the photos but for now I am concerned with privacy issues! I didn't mean to make myself look so creepy haha but hopefully this way you can just take my nose as it is....

6.30.11 Ah I am done! Had to wait a looong time...

6.30.11

Ah I am done! Had to wait a looong time for my relative to pick me up but whoohew! I feel pretty great except for massive dry mouth... So realize when you come to you will be very raspy and craving water immediately. I was told my procedure went very well so I am hoping I will love my results!

Looking at my face now... I have prominent bruising under my eyes and the area between my eyes is so swollen that it's pushing against my eyes a little and making them look a little smaller... No biggie though. I attached a picture of myself in the car on the way home. Excuse my appearance. Thank goodness I have Arnica and my vitamin C at home waiting for me!

7.1.11 So this is my technically my "next day"...

7.1.11

So this is my technically my "next day" following surgery post. I feel fine. As said before, I do have prominent bruising under my eyes... like dark dark blue and purple. I hope it goes away within 10 days since I am going back to work on the 11th haha. I don't want to be asked questions!

As far as pain goes, I do not feel any. As a precaution I took a painkiller before bed last night to prevent any waking up at 3 am with a throbbing face. I have not felt a need to take anymore though yet. I am still oozing into the gauze under my nose a little but it's less bloody than it was right after surgery obviously. I can already see a difference though in my nose when I change my gauze out! It's definitely more slender. I can't wait to see it when the cast comes off even though I've heard it swells like crazy.

So I guess that's it for now! I am still taking my Vitamin C with bioflavinoids as often as I can as well as Arnica every few hours... and of course my antibiotics.

Wish me luck for a speedy recovery and for the results I want! Don't hesitate to ask questions either :)

Ok I caved and posted two pictures that were taken...

Ok I caved and posted two pictures that were taken 10 minutes following my cast removal.

As I said in a post earlier, it's hard to see a difference in my before and right-after-my-cast-was-removed pictures. I am told my nose looks very swollen at the moment and that it will take months before my final nose shows. I know people keep saying that... but I really hope so! As of now, I see small changes (all good but still small) so I'm holding out for now on making my decision on whether it was ultimately worth it or not (to spend the money really).

My nose didn't need a hump removed or to be shortened etc. so like I said it's hard to tell I had anything done. Both my BF and aunt said they couldn't see a difference as of yet but both said it's obvious to them that it is a little swollen. Still they see my face all the time and know what is different. I feel like my nose still looks big for my face haha but again I am told it is all swelling and it will get thinner. As of now that's hard to imagine since I just don't know how thin it can get! I'm wondering now if I didn't stress enough that I wanted it smaller too... I would have that thought that would have been implied but maybe not.

Anyways, that's my update for now on the situation. Now I'll just spend the next few months hoping it becomes smaller, slimmer and more angled! I will update with photos at each month interval. Hopefully I will be able to see a more significant progression this way. Wish me luck! :)

7.21.2011 Exactly 3 weeks post op. My bruising...

7.21.2011

Exactly 3 weeks post op. My bruising is totally gone. Woohoo! As of now, still big and swollen and, of course, hoping it will get smaller and smaller day by day. I also hope the swelling is uneven because one side seems bigger than the other and it makes my nostrils look funky haha. Those in my family who know about the procedure are still saying it looks the same size as before... which can only mean it will get smaller as the swelling goes down, right? That's my reasoning.

Another observation.. My nose skin right now is really oily which sucks because I would love to use my Clarisonic device on it but was advised not to do so for at least a month. Using Biore nose strips seem to be helping. Darn black heads. Hopefully that will improve with time as well!

That's all for now. Please note that I am documenting my experience as it is happening so I can't really reflect back on this yet since I do not have my final results obviously! :)

Still disappointed and wished I would have gone to someone else who has experience with short noses...

Almost 3 years later and I'm still very disappointed with the outcome... I will have to have a revision to address my breathing concerns and the unevenness with my tip. Also hoping that the crookedness can be sort out plus lengthening as well since that's what I wanted in the first place. If anyone knows of a doctor with experience with lengthening short noses please let me know. I wish I had waited to go to an expert with short noses and I will have to pay the price with my impatience. Please do not make my mistake!

Very angry! Found out I have nasal obstruction and cartilage contraction because of shoddy primary with this man!!

Just saw a specialist about my nose Friday since I am tired of being unable to breathe or smell properly anymore. Lo and behold because of Dr. Ciardullo's horrible work I was confirmed to have nasal obstruction on both sides as well as cartilage contraction in my tip "due to lack of proper support that should have been addressed and taken care of in primary surgery." Oh plus my nose is crooked, uneven nostrils, bridge is scooped out like a ski slope...may I go on?

UGH. I'm so upset and angry about this. This doctor Ciardullo took a short nose and made it even SHORTER. You know what kills me? If I hadn't let this quack touch my face in the first place I could have gotten my congenital upturned tip corrected properly. Now I'm told that my nose will not have the ability to be lengthened at all due to the way my cartilage was brutally hacked by this man. My skin already has shrunken around the shorter structure and because of my lack of elasticity to stretch it back out, I'm screwed.

Stay away from this guy... He doesn't do 3D consults (at least he didn't when I went in 2011 and he said something along the lines that he "doesn't need those as they aren't always accurate "... Wtf what rhinoplasty surgeon says that?! You think your image and my image of how I want to look is the same in your head? That's why we need SIMULATIONS to discuss!) and honestly never trust a doctor who doesn't offer them.

I wish I had never gone to this man. It absolutely breaks my heart. I'm happy that insurance will cover most of my revision due to these problems but still... It's not worth it. I wish I had gone to a better surgeon. This man should have had the decency to tell me he couldn't handle my short nose case and instead, took my money and left me with a mutilated tip.

Thanks for nothing.
White Plains Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Ciardullo in White Plains provided the surgery... and almost 3 years later, I will have to say I am still very disappointed in the outcome. Not only is my breathing still worse than before (everyone says I sound super nasal and it's hard to breathe out of my nose) but I have a lot of extreme unevenness in my tip cartilage and with the way he operated my nose looks more crooked... and fat at the tip since he narrowed my bridge but left the tip fat and gave me a noticeable ski slope with my profile. I will be looking to get a revision with a doctor who has actual experience with short noses.

I'm so sorry for what you're going through. :( I hope you can find a way to right the wrongs
Read my latest update for this doctor!
I will be looking to have a revision performed by a doctor who has a lot of experience with lengthening short noses... Any suggestions or recommendations would be highly appreciated. Thank you.
Hi LilPez88. I recommend Dr. Kofi Boahene. He did my revision and I believe he can fix your nose. Good luck.
Dude, there was nothing wrong with your nose before! People get nose jobs to have that before nose! But the After looks great either way
From what i can tell of the early recovery pictures, you and your new nose look great. Can you please post some recent front and profile pictures? I am considering Dr. Ciardullo and really want to know how his work does in terms of the recovery process. Thank you so much for sharing your story.
did your swelling go down yet??
I can't tell if it's swelling or just unevenness now. Either way, it's still thick and uneven.
How is your nose now? I feel like my nose is upturned a little too much. Did your nose change at all, are you happy with it? What did Dr.C say? Is he doing the revision for you? Can you post some updated pics?
I emailed Dr. C's office about a year ago but no response. And they have never called or checked on in me except for the few months after it happened. Oh well. It will be 2 years in June since I've had it done and I can't say it's THAT much better. My nose is still overly greasy and the tip is still stiff and uneven. Maybe it's bad scar tissue? I'm not happy with the outcome and I'm going to look into getting a revision done with a specialist who is experienced with lengthening upturned noses. I might even go to Korea since everyone in the US wants to charge me $20,000 for the procedure!!! I can't afford that plus they don't have any good examples of a nose similar to mine. Sigh. What a waste.
Hi LezPez87,
How are you going? Are you happy with your nose result 4 month after the operation?
Is your nose still swollen? How is the healing process?
I think it's still really swollen.... my nose tip is really hard still. I hope it gets thinner over time. I'm not going to really judge it until a year has passed. If I feel like it can be improved more, I will get a revision and possible some alar base reduction to narrow out the base. Healing process seems to be going alright... my nose is still ridiculously shiny haha I hope that goes away soon. I feel so oily!
Lez, Wanted to know if you are happy with your results? It's been a month since your last post and am considering a rhino with Dr. C.
I see my doctor on Friday for my post op... I have a few questions to ask him. I'll update and get back to you then. Thanks
Great...thanks. Would love to know how it goes - good luck!
Hi there,

I'd love to know how you're feeling and what you think about your surgery now. I have a good feeling I know who you went to and I'm planning on having him do mine sometime next year. So if you don't mind I'd love to get your feedback on the whole thing...if you feel up to it of course:)
Good luck ladies!! Make sure you know EVERYTHING that is being done and NOT being done. I'm sure you'll be fine. :)
I feel the same way ladies at 1 month post I still have doubts on this new nose. I had wide nostrils and a wide tip so my case was different but now I have an uneven nose all together and like u running out of patience. It's really round and yes shiny all the time. Every morning I wake up hoping it would be nice and tiny the way I wanted it. I too like u would love to have been born with a nice tiny nose not this bulky thing in the middle of my face.
Hang in there, one side always heals better than the other..Did you have your surgery with Dr.C as well?
Did you go to Dr. C?
Aw thanks Karlita! I am really impatient too... only because this is my face and it's front and center you know! lol

Are you having a rhino anytime soon?
I am hoping to if all goes well with my meeting with Dr. C next week.

I know exactly what you mean!!!...It's totally front and center and I am constantly freaking out because of that. I'm one of those instant gratification people...I need to see results like yesterday...lol. It can only get better in your case though. Your body is trying to heal from trauma so it will definitly take time. And everyone's body heals at a different pace. You will be looking fabulous in no time. You can already see with the changes that your face looks more symetrical. =)

xo
Karlita
My consultation is next week as well Karlita..Next monday August 1st !
Me too! Wooohoo! What time is yours? Mine is at 3:30.
hahah Mine is at 4 !!...I will definitely see you and we'll keep in touch...My nose is not too serious...It's actually nice, I just don't like my profile, feel that it is a little long..