Not As Bad As You Think. - Westmead, AU

I had 2 jaw surgery and all wisdom teeth removed....

I had 2 jaw surgery and all wisdom teeth removed. My top jaw was moved forward 7mm and my lower jaw moved backwards 2mm to form an over-jet.
I came out of surgery about 4 hours later. I didn't feel much pain due to the anesthetic.

I was in hospital for 2 nights, on a full liquid diet, with morphine. I vomitted blood a few times but that was normal. My blood pressure & heart rate was quite low. But it stabilised after a while. I was at Westmead Hospital in high dependency, I found all the nurses were lovely and very helpful.

My first day home was quite horrible as I came to terms with what I have to go through, I was hungry all the time, I was uncomfortable, very swollen. The first week I did not sleep more than 2 hours a night due to the pain. I took panadeine forte and mersyndol at one point, which all didn't work because the pain was from my teeth being clenched together by the elastics on my braces. It was very painful and uncomfortable. I wished I could go back to Monday and not walk in that hospital at all..

BUT, after the first week, the pain subsided, I was still uncomfortable, I still am..
I got used to the fact I could only have liquids, barely any pain in the jaw, it was just pain in my teeth/gums, and itching from the stitches.

I have been recovering for 3 weeks now, I've had barely any pain, it's just more annoying and uncomfortable. I have lost a fair bit of weight and I am really over having liquids, as I am meant to be on soft foods but for some reason I'm not.
The main problems I have is not wanting to go out because I feel ugly as I'm still swollen, not being able to talk clearly/properly as I'm a big talker.. I still talk.. and not being able to even eat pasta or soft foods.

I have read many reviews on here and other sites and all the reviews seem to talk about "excruciating pain" and "weren't prepared for what was coming". I wasn't prepared that first week, feeling abnormal and uncomfortable and the pain, but it did get easier. I feel more jaw pain now as the swelling has gone done a lot but its not unbearable. I hope people read this review and not completely freak out about the surgery they are about to have.
If you have to have this surgery, you need to deal with the consequences. It's a major surgery, and you won't be sore forever.

I see my surgeon tomorrow for a check up and I am praying these elastics come off and I will be able to try and open my jaw and eat and brush my teeth even!

My surgeon did an amazing job. Right now I don't have photos but I will post some later but I have had many compliments already.
What happened when you vomited? Your mouth was wired shut right? Did you ever feel like you were drowning or choking?
Hey, I never did vomit actually except the day after surgery but it just went through my teeth. Wasn't wired shut, it was wound together with tight elastics through my braces! Never felt like I was drowning or choking !
Hi there, thanks for posting. How much did the whole thing cost you. It'd be great to see some before and after photos, I'm so curious to see the results!! I Hope there were no complications for you.

Nearly 4 months later

I have two conditions called dystethia and parastethia.
Dystethia is when all my nerves feel pain only, no good sensations. Even just sitting here I am in pain.
Parastethia is where I feel all symptoms - ants crawling, numb, pain, tingling, stinging, burning etc etc.
I was diagnosed with these conditions a month and a half ago, so I'm still trying to deal with it. My surgeons told me that it's rare to have both these conditions at the same time, and it will take up to 12 months for it to be cured - can't be cured with medication, only the pain can be reduced with medication.
I've had many surgeries and dental work on my mouth and have always had good outcomes, and now my last surgery turns out to be the worst.
It's difficult to eat a lot of things,
I'm so sorry you are going through this.  I wonder if you have ever taken a look around the community before?  A few people have dealt with very difficult outcomes and would likely be very able to empathize with your situation.  carol jake and Chelie come to mind.  Eva Hopeful doesn't have a review of her jaw surgery at this point but she's also very helpful.

Also, you listed the surgery as Worth It--is that still the case?
I'm okay, like it's just something I have to get used to until it goes away I guess. And yes it definitely was still worth it despite the pain I am in now, most days it's okay, then others it's unbearable. But yeah I still definitely consider the surgery as worth it! Thank you as well!
Okay…well, I hope it goes away sooner rather than later!
Dr. Lydia Lim.

Dr. Lim is a lovely surgeon, I had students doing my surgery too I think and they were all lovely when I met them, and my healing process has been good, and the pain is bearable therefore I give the credit to the surgeons for doing a great job.