what a disaster! - Westchester, NY

I got Artefill done as my doctor said it was very...

I got Artefill done as my doctor said it was very long lasting....in fact, semi-permanent.
Well, as soon as I got it done I noticed a difference and was very pleased. The are was indeed more plump.

Well....fast forward to 1 1/2 month later...the substance begins to break apart and travel to all areas of my face and create lumps....lumps on my temple, lumps on my cheeks, lumps on my nose, lumps on my chin---I even got one right under my eye!! These lumps range anywhere in size from a big pimple, to a tiny lump. They are like pimples, except there is no head. The only way to get rid of these lumps is to prick them with a lancet and push out the substance. It has created a COMPLETE DISASTER of my previously nice complexion. This may or may not happen to YOU---but please keep in mind it IS A POSSIBILITY. It is now months later and I am still trying to extract these horrid things from my face. A complete disaster

Artefill Lumps--Photos added

I have added photos.
This has been just an awful experience!

Still Battling Artefill Migration Lumps and Bumps

Now 4 months after having Artefill injections, I am still battling the lumps and bumps that have migrated to all different areas of my face. I even got one right under my tear duct. The doctor had to use a lancet and remove the substance. That was very painful. The fact that so many dermatologists say "I never heard of fillers migrating" and stating that fillers "do not migrate" I think is ludicrous. All you have to do is a little digging to find out that I and many like me have had this adverse reaction. Do your homework!!!

Hi All - good discussions on this thread...for anyone still following or those new, please see a review I posted in Artefill section titled, "Do Your Research" (Aug 2014) - it outlines a brief history of Artefill and where we stand today. Thank you for the article above referenced by deen in 2013 on possible corrective actions to adverse reactions. May I recommend everyone can consult JAMA (Journal of the American Medical Association - you don't have to buy a subscription, you can purchase individual articles ) It is concise, informative and is often the final word on anything medical in the US. Good luck and thank you for all your contributions!
I am a 60 year old woman in good health. I take care of my body well. I look younger than my age and image is important to my field of work. I selected an excellent, experienced Dr. who performed a patch test prior to my Artefill injections My injected sites are on my forehead and cheekbones and was done approximately six- eight months ago. At first it was plump and beautiful, nothing short of amazing! I came to this website to see if other women were noticing that it doesn't seem to stay plump very long? As the plumping diminishes, it centralizes to where you feel the nodule or lump which once was the injection site at this point only to the touch not site. I ALSO experienced at the moment of injection underneath the eye, it traveled toward one of my tear ducts, which is where it stayed, even after trying to mold or manipulate it the following days when I awakened, it would not stay. Thankfully I have not experienced any pain from this experience. It is not unsightly... but if I sleep on my face or am bloated that morning, looks a bit inquisitive. This is not at all, what I had in mind, when spenting a small fortune to look better, simply to have a new problem to contend with. After reading these posts, I am not going to purchase more. PS I am an Aesthetician. (For those who wonder what that is, it is a specialist in the skin care field.) Thanks for reading and good luck to ALL the ladies, the ones that are completing their homework as well as others like me, who share their experiences. I think we all feel it will never happen to us. Choose wisely and best wishes... Jeanie
Los Angeles 8432, I am battling the same issue. I had artefill in 2011. 14 months later I started getting lumps at the injection sites. I was on prednisone for about 9 months and the lumps went away. In the past few weeks they have started coming back. I can "feel" them forming as the skin starts tingling and is slightly itchy and also becomes discolored at the area. I am not sure if I should just leave them since they seem to come back or go back for more treatment. Have you considered removal or do you know if this is even an option? Also, do you have any knowledge if left alone if the lumps will continue to grow or if they will form and just be there? Mine aren't visible right now fortunately, I'm just concerned for the long term. I'm 41 and would dread having to battle this bad decision for years to come. Many thanks for your help and hoping your doing well!
I too have horrifying tales of granulomas and migration from Artefil. It was paced in my laugh lines as part of a study. Most participants( I was told) have not had any complications. The first year was fine them I developed large granulomas to the point my face was disfigured. After 8 months of steroid injections and oral steroids and antibiotics the situation was corrected. They returned about a year ago and I have been back on treatment for 8 months . If I knew then what I know now I would not do it!
I was part of an Artefil study. I had it injected in may laugh lines. The first year it was beautiful. After thst i developed very bad granulomas.i was treated with the with oral and injectable steroids. They eventually went away. Six month later the granulomas returned worse than before . I have been under treatment for a year and my face is not back to normal. Do not use in your face.
This happened to me too, in my lips. Read the articles below for some other ideas, like injecting it with cortisol or triamcinolone acetonide. Call a lot of doctors and find someone who knows how to treat this or improve it. Until then, just know that it always seems WAY worse and more noticeable to you than it does it other people. There are some ignorant comments on here, like the one asking for before and after pictures and suggesting it this is made up or something. I can only imagine that someone who would think to say something like that is invested in the company or something. Why is a before picture needed or at all helpful? We all know what skin looks like without a bump on it. I will never use Artefill again. Here are a few more articles about it. Links aren't allowed but use these search terms and you will find them skinandallergynews + ask about filler use before injecting new patients escholarship.org + triamcinolone acetonide openi nlm nih + Lumps in the vermilion
skinandallergynews + ask about filler use before injecting new patients...... escholarship.org + triamcinolone acetonide...... openi nlm nih + Lumps in the vermilion
I"m so sorry this is happening to you but I also wonder if this is really from the artefil because we can't see any before and after pictures. I am sorry if it sounds like I am doubting your experience but it is very confusing that some people have fabulous results and others tell about migration. I too will have to really do more research as I've often have wondered if somedoctor's don't want us to have something more permanent like the artefill and fat transfer simply because there is not the ongoing maintenance required like with juvaderm, etc. Are you having to pay the doctor to have these lumps lanced? Do you have any pictures showing your skin prior to this tx?
Not sure why you need pictures. This is well documented complication of permanent fillers. And yes, Artefill is permanent no matter what you have been told.
I am going to have to research this further, because I have seen several people with this product in their face and they look flawless. I'm not there in front of you, but from your pics you posted, your skin looks like you are having a problem with acne not the artefill. It sounds like the Doctor you saw told you the same thing, that it is acne.
thank you so much for sharing this experience. I am so very sorry that you are going through this! But I really appreciate hearing your experience as I was seriously considering having this done. Not anymore! Thank you, thank you, and good luck!
In theory, PMMA, the primary ingredient develops scar tissue and a blood supply. On the other hand silicon has an oil-base. With gravity and aging PMMA is expected to move, but not significantly. Yet I believe those who contest the product move. I am sure there are considerations and variables that the manufactures either do not know and/or share. As a cosmetic filler it is relatively new.
Barbara,,,just do a little research and you will see that Artefill is not relatively new at all. I can't remember all the details but there is a lot of history but I'm wondering if the product has been refined or improved as seems like more doctors are willing to use it whereas before, like the fat transfer, many were hesitant because of uncertain outcomes. Until more people willing to share their BEFORE and AFTER PICTURES, all we can do is keep asking questions as you never know for sure what a person's motivation is online particularly when they don't show pictures and that is whether for positive or negative results.
It is hardly new. PMMA has existed for decades through several iterations and different brand names. In Europe it was called Artecoll.
thanks for sharing your experience. I hope things work out for you and you "see" your old self in the near future. I was considering Artifill, but after seeing what you went through I think I'll stick with the Radiesse. There aren't too many doctors in my area who offer Artifill (and I live on Long Island in New York), Perhaps the side effects and complications associated with this particular filler are why...
i am so sorry to hear such an awful thing happened to you. I would be horrified. I was wondering if the doctor conducted an allergy test prior to administering the artefill?
Yes he did, on my arm. I am not allergic to it--it's just that for me--it broke apart and went to other areas. I only have bumps now on my temple/cheek area and slowly been having them removed. I am hoping the worst is over.
here's a paper that looks at treating bumps from pmma fillers with the drug allopurinol: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3544257/ allopurinol is a (now generic) drug used to treat, i think, kidney stones. there's a lot of medical experience with these issues in south america and brazil, where the pmma products that came before artefill were used years ago, and people are now experiencing problems.
Thank you-yes that makes sense because it would break down substances (like stones) but I rather not take drugs.
artefill does not migrate. it must be something else, like silicone, or some other condition.
Artefill as well as other fillers can migrate for some people. I have not had silicone injections---just because it has not migrated for you or cases you know of, please don't make that invalid statement. People considering this should know of all the reactions possible.
I had a tiny bit of silicon 1000 in my lips in 2009 (when I didn't know one thing about it) ...I barely noticed any change and was very upset at the time. Over the years, I think my lips may look a tiny bit fuller and thankfully nothing has migrated. I'm going to see a doc today about the artefil and ask him what he thinks about it. I think I might have shared the pictures somewhere but I don't have time to check at the moment...
I just wanted to let you know that I had Juvederm Ultra, under my eyes, without my permission. I had only wanted it is my nasolabial folds, and the doctor injecting the leftovers under my eyes. It migrated into my lower eyelids, and slid down my cheek. It moved everywhere, so fillers do move all over if not injected properly, and sometimes it is the filler itself. I found out the Juvederm was well expired that my doctor used as well. I really hope you are almost if not completely better now. I was considering Artefill, but too many have claimed about the same type of complications that you have.
Nothing is worst, then to be harmed by someone who is supposed to heal and help you. What place did this to you?
Painful or not, I am just happy to hear it can be removed..