what a disaster! - Westchester, NY

I got Artefill done as my doctor said it was very...

I got Artefill done as my doctor said it was very long lasting....in fact, semi-permanent.
Well, as soon as I got it done I noticed a difference and was very pleased. The are was indeed more plump.

Well....fast forward to 1 1/2 month later...the substance begins to break apart and travel to all areas of my face and create lumps....lumps on my temple, lumps on my cheeks, lumps on my nose, lumps on my chin---I even got one right under my eye!! These lumps range anywhere in size from a big pimple, to a tiny lump. They are like pimples, except there is no head. The only way to get rid of these lumps is to prick them with a lancet and push out the substance. It has created a COMPLETE DISASTER of my previously nice complexion. This may or may not happen to YOU---but please keep in mind it IS A POSSIBILITY. It is now months later and I am still trying to extract these horrid things from my face. A complete disaster

Artefill Lumps--Photos added

I have added photos.
This has been just an awful experience!

Still Battling Artefill Migration Lumps and Bumps

Now 4 months after having Artefill injections, I am still battling the lumps and bumps that have migrated to all different areas of my face. I even got one right under my tear duct. The doctor had to use a lancet and remove the substance. That was very painful. The fact that so many dermatologists say "I never heard of fillers migrating" and stating that fillers "do not migrate" I think is ludicrous. All you have to do is a little digging to find out that I and many like me have had this adverse reaction. Do your homework!!!

Where did you get theinjection?
How many serynges did you have?
Can you please tell me the name of the doctor that did the procedure? I am thinking of using Artefill but now am hesitant after hearing these horror stories.
Hi All - good discussions on this thread...for anyone still following or those new, please see a review I posted in Artefill section titled, "Do Your Research" (Aug 2014) - it outlines a brief history of Artefill and where we stand today. Thank you for the article above referenced by deen in 2013 on possible corrective actions to adverse reactions. May I recommend everyone can consult JAMA (Journal of the American Medical Association - you don't have to buy a subscription, you can purchase individual articles ) It is concise, informative and is often the final word on anything medical in the US. Good luck and thank you for all your contributions!
I am a 60 year old woman in good health. I take care of my body well. I look younger than my age and image is important to my field of work. I selected an excellent, experienced Dr. who performed a patch test prior to my Artefill injections My injected sites are on my forehead and cheekbones and was done approximately six- eight months ago. At first it was plump and beautiful, nothing short of amazing! I came to this website to see if other women were noticing that it doesn't seem to stay plump very long? As the plumping diminishes, it centralizes to where you feel the nodule or lump which once was the injection site at this point only to the touch not site. I ALSO experienced at the moment of injection underneath the eye, it traveled toward one of my tear ducts, which is where it stayed, even after trying to mold or manipulate it the following days when I awakened, it would not stay. Thankfully I have not experienced any pain from this experience. It is not unsightly... but if I sleep on my face or am bloated that morning, looks a bit inquisitive. This is not at all, what I had in mind, when spenting a small fortune to look better, simply to have a new problem to contend with. After reading these posts, I am not going to purchase more. PS I am an Aesthetician. (For those who wonder what that is, it is a specialist in the skin care field.) Thanks for reading and good luck to ALL the ladies, the ones that are completing their homework as well as others like me, who share their experiences. I think we all feel it will never happen to us. Choose wisely and best wishes... Jeanie
Thank you so much to be kind enough to forewarn those of us looking to get Artefill. I had outstanding results with juvederm? and Restylene, that lasted almost 2 years. I noticed there is a new push for Artefill. I am SO GLAD I read this. I never knew fillers migrated up but I know that its true because of where I feel some of the filler that is still let. It is sad, but true, that much of what we feel about ourselves is what we see reflected in other peoples eyes. I truly wish you the best.
Los Angeles 8432, I am battling the same issue. I had artefill in 2011. 14 months later I started getting lumps at the injection sites. I was on prednisone for about 9 months and the lumps went away. In the past few weeks they have started coming back. I can "feel" them forming as the skin starts tingling and is slightly itchy and also becomes discolored at the area. I am not sure if I should just leave them since they seem to come back or go back for more treatment. Have you considered removal or do you know if this is even an option? Also, do you have any knowledge if left alone if the lumps will continue to grow or if they will form and just be there? Mine aren't visible right now fortunately, I'm just concerned for the long term. I'm 41 and would dread having to battle this bad decision for years to come. Many thanks for your help and hoping your doing well!
I just have a question. First of all I believe you. I don't need photos or proof as some have posted saying its acne. I am sorry this is happening to you. were you skin tested to see if you are allergic?
Thank you for the kind note. No one has to believe what Isay, it is up to the individual to make an informed decision, so I don't feel compelled to have to post pics. For one, I am luck, my granulomas are barely visible. But, that's not to say they will not get worse. Also, it is uncomfortable and there is a psychological distress that this situation takes on you. It's very upsetting not understanding or being able to control something that is happening to you. Especially, when it's your face. Anyway, that aside. :) I honestly don't know if I was or not. I have to think I was, but I can't recall. Also, I didn't feel it necessary to follow up on it, because at this point it would serve me no good. Since this is my second go-round with the granulomas, the clinician I've been seeing feels that I have some type of bacteria that causes the flair ups. I fear this may be an ongoing battle for me. I hope this is helpful and best of luck!
I too have horrifying tales of granulomas and migration from Artefil. It was paced in my laugh lines as part of a study. Most participants( I was told) have not had any complications. The first year was fine them I developed large granulomas to the point my face was disfigured. After 8 months of steroid injections and oral steroids and antibiotics the situation was corrected. They returned about a year ago and I have been back on treatment for 8 months . If I knew then what I know now I would not do it!
I am so sorry this is happening to you. There is a big push where I go for botox for migraines to get this stuff. I was curious. Were you allergy tested to see if you are allergic to the bovine product? I have a medical background and I was just wondering how many people were never skin tested. It would make sense that it would be fine in the beginning because it takes the body a while to react. it sounds just like it is trying to wall off a foreign substance just like silicone. Very scary. So glad I found your posts. And I'm also very sorry for all of you going through this. What makes me mad is they are really pushing this big time.
I was tested on my arm and had no reaction. It seems to be the actual filler that breaks apart and move around. I can't believe 40 comments on here and my dr. still says he hasn't heard of it migrating. Thank God for this site or we would just think we were the only ones!
Isn't that incredible! Mine did as well. She was telling me that this was so unusual and she could write a case study about me... until she let it slip she was treating another patient for the same issue. She even had the nerve to tell me I looked good! I was shocked and then furious. It does not look good! I have what looks like a raised "vein" by my mouth, and my skin is discolored in the effected areas. Not sure if you have this too, but where the lumps are the skin is noticeably lighter in the area. If I can figure it out, I'll post a pic. :)
I was part of an Artefil study. I had it injected in may laugh lines. The first year it was beautiful. After thst i developed very bad granulomas.i was treated with the with oral and injectable steroids. They eventually went away. Six month later the granulomas returned worse than before . I have been under treatment for a year and my face is not back to normal. Do not use in your face.
Be careful with steroids if you can help it. The military gave me steroids for a back problem. I gained a ton of weight and it takes about 6 months per shot for it to wear off. Also you can get an artificially acquired cushings because it affects the adrenal glands. It also thins the skin on the hands other things. Please read up on steroids. For me the short term benefits didn't out weigh the long term side effects. I read up on them after I was injected about once every 6 months for year. And I discovered Steroids were almost banned after they were invented due to the adverse after effects. Best of luck
This happened to me too, in my lips. Read the articles below for some other ideas, like injecting it with cortisol or triamcinolone acetonide. Call a lot of doctors and find someone who knows how to treat this or improve it. Until then, just know that it always seems WAY worse and more noticeable to you than it does it other people. There are some ignorant comments on here, like the one asking for before and after pictures and suggesting it this is made up or something. I can only imagine that someone who would think to say something like that is invested in the company or something. Why is a before picture needed or at all helpful? We all know what skin looks like without a bump on it. I will never use Artefill again. Here are a few more articles about it. Links aren't allowed but use these search terms and you will find them skinandallergynews + ask about filler use before injecting new patients escholarship.org + triamcinolone acetonide openi nlm nih + Lumps in the vermilion
skinandallergynews + ask about filler use before injecting new patients...... escholarship.org + triamcinolone acetonide...... openi nlm nih + Lumps in the vermilion
I"m so sorry this is happening to you but I also wonder if this is really from the artefil because we can't see any before and after pictures. I am sorry if it sounds like I am doubting your experience but it is very confusing that some people have fabulous results and others tell about migration. I too will have to really do more research as I've often have wondered if somedoctor's don't want us to have something more permanent like the artefill and fat transfer simply because there is not the ongoing maintenance required like with juvaderm, etc. Are you having to pay the doctor to have these lumps lanced? Do you have any pictures showing your skin prior to this tx?
Not sure why you need pictures. This is well documented complication of permanent fillers. And yes, Artefill is permanent no matter what you have been told.
I agree.. These women have no motive to take the time to warn us, and I think we all know the difference between acne and something foreign under the skin. Its a slap in the face to ask for photos.
Why would I have posted a before?? I didn't expect this to happen. What benefit would I have? No one needs to believe me. This may OR may not happen to others. Just good to read and know the possibilities.
I am going to have to research this further, because I have seen several people with this product in their face and they look flawless. I'm not there in front of you, but from your pics you posted, your skin looks like you are having a problem with acne not the artefill. It sounds like the Doctor you saw told you the same thing, that it is acne.
thank you so much for sharing this experience. I am so very sorry that you are going through this! But I really appreciate hearing your experience as I was seriously considering having this done. Not anymore! Thank you, thank you, and good luck!
In theory, PMMA, the primary ingredient develops scar tissue and a blood supply. On the other hand silicon has an oil-base. With gravity and aging PMMA is expected to move, but not significantly. Yet I believe those who contest the product move. I am sure there are considerations and variables that the manufactures either do not know and/or share. As a cosmetic filler it is relatively new.
Barbara,,,just do a little research and you will see that Artefill is not relatively new at all. I can't remember all the details but there is a lot of history but I'm wondering if the product has been refined or improved as seems like more doctors are willing to use it whereas before, like the fat transfer, many were hesitant because of uncertain outcomes. Until more people willing to share their BEFORE and AFTER PICTURES, all we can do is keep asking questions as you never know for sure what a person's motivation is online particularly when they don't show pictures and that is whether for positive or negative results.