I Had Rhino Revision and S-lift Done, Same Time - West Palm Beach, FL

My surgery was around 8 hours. I am now 3 weeks...

My surgery was around 8 hours. I am now 3 weeks post op. Nose and face still swollen, but bruises are gone. You really will need to be off work for at least 2 full weeks if not longer. I still look like if someone punch me in the nose - swelling. What concerns me however is my right eye. Since the surgery I can NOT fully close right eye, my lower lid is droopy, eye watering causing me blurred vision. During the surgery the damage or stretching/bruising of facial nerve must have occurred. Therefore I do not look myself, looks funny and abnormal. It caused me stress at work, people starring at me and asking questions... embarrassing. I am waiting for the nerve to heal. The Doc did not let me know that this can be happening. When I went back and "Googled" info. I found out that this is not uncommon due to mid face lift. I wish I knew. I am only 46 and my face was not that saggy. I hope to look normal soon, but for right now I am still just WAITING. The office staff is awesome, and all my appointments were on time with no waiting. Karen and Maday were absolutely awesome!

Before and after 4 weeks. Cost $15,000.00

Before and after 4 weeks

Rhino and S-lift

Other profile, looks very good. The front still looks "swollen", and wide. Hoping that is not the final look.
Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Still just 3 weeks post op. Can NOT comment due to nose still swollen and right eye lower lid drooping, eye watering. I will post before and after photos in about 4-6 weeks to give you a detailed idea. I will give an overall rating then.

I had my neck, face lift on sep 12/13. I took 2 weeks off from work, I had general anesthesia. I'm doing well it looks fine but is only 21 days as today. My stitches are not noticeable , he went almost inside the ear. It bothers me the numbness. About your nose the tip is very difficult to fix , should be done open to trim cartilage at the tip and cut and suture the nostrils to give that good fine tip. My daughters results are awesome, and that is exactly what the dr did. She had minimal bruising and minimal swelling . Now , your eye is what's worries me , maybe an especially dr like occuplasty surgeon can help you with your questions and they are also ophthalmic (vision-eye) . You look very pretty lady to me and I'm hoping for the best for you, I posted my review , it will be ready tomorrow , please read it
Hi Elsita, Thank you for your post. My eye slowly gets better. I can close one eye (right one) fully. It takes forever. Dr Schwartz did my nose via open way, but the tip is still wide, like somebody punched me in it. I am afraid this is it as far as looking like that. It was not worth $15,000.00 and he is NOT as skilled as he advertises. I will not do endless revisions eighter, to make it possible even worse! Hope you are doing better. Numbness is NORMAL! I still have some of it near the ears (up front), but it settles down just right and it will go away.

-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Hi Richard. Thank you for your comment. My right eye is still not OK. I am now 6 weeks post op. Nose still wide at the tip. Not worth $15,000.00 that is for sure. At this point I do not want any revisions, I am disappointed. My nose is not any smaller!!!
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Thank you Grace60. The Doc never told me why it took so long. There was no complications, so I am really not sure. I thought that time was normal... Well I am slowly recovering hoping my eye will be fine soon, and my nose will not look like "someone just punch me in the face". So far my husband does not like it. In his opinion my nose is very wide at the tip. Hope it is just still some swelling... but would that go down more by now?
Monika, Nose feels rigid long after noticeable swelling ...or at least noticeable to others so it is probably on the mend. And I only focused on your face lift being an S lift and not a mid face lift so that is contributing big time to the concentration of swelling in the cheek and nose. Were you under general or IV anesthesia? You have age on your side when it comes to healing so the fact that the eye is improving is a real plus and a sign that there is no long term issue. You are a beautiful lady and you had, as you said, very little in terms of the obvious aging that brings most of us to plastic surgery. As I mentioned when I posted to you Sept 6 I wish you all the best...grace60
Monika, This was revision rhino, correct? So you've been thru the surgery and probably remember that rhinoplasty isn't painful but it is a slow healing surgery. I was in a very minor car accident years ago that caused a midline shift in the nose. I remember the swelling went on forever, always worse in the morning and always in the tip. But after the first couple of months no one but me noticed anything. And the fact that yours was a revision doubles down on the whole thing. Did they have to do any grafts from ear cartilage or rib? If you had enough septal cartilage then you were spared the extra trauma and time of harvesting graft material from either of those two places. Anyway, It looks great...well proportioned and so the good news is that you won't need to do anything else to it. And i'm sure it's less about your husband not liking it than it is him wanting you to be happy with the results. Lucky you; you've been blessed with great looks and you have a great spirit and attitude AND you have a keen desire to understand the process you are passing through. All of those should make for eventual complete healing and a great result....grace60
Yes, thank you Grace60. I am 46, and I had IV anesthesia. My nose is expected to be rigid, but it is wide, swelling still?
Grace60. Thank you for all your support. I means a lot. I want others to know what to expect if they decide to do a procedure. Face is very important, and honestly for anyone out there: ask you Doc if they did surgery on any famous people. For some reason they have better results: Jennifer Aniston - nose, Joan Rivers-probably everything and she looks stunning!, Kim Kardashian -nose, etc, etc.etc. When you take a closer look at my picture showing right ear lobe you will also see how different it attaches not to the ear. I still hope it will go down, because it does look ugly now, and I cover it with the hair. I am patient, but all this takes a lot longer than I expected. A lot longer.
M, It is hard to believe that it takes 8 hrs for 2 procedures.The longest FL, b/c it is the most complex and riskiest (not an s-lift but a deep plane/composite), takes no more than 5 and revision Rhino should be a little over 2. And you had so little excess tissue to deal with....do you have any idea why it took so long? Your before photo was very pretty and you had very little of the issues that necessitate a full face lift so I am surprised a PS didn't try to talk you into holding off for a while. And who would think that an S-lift would cause a lower lid problem. As you said it would have been nice to get that info ahead of the surgery. Your after photo looks great and for anyone who never saw the before, it is a great result; you simply look like your cousin not your "refreshed twin" grace60.
Be careful. My facelift. Etc took 7 hours. You have done a lot of research but haven't had surgery yet. Never tell someone who has already gone under the knive you're surprised it was done at all.
SL, What usually adds hrs is the combined procedures and the starting point of the patients saggin, baggin and draggin as Dolly Parton once said. And that is why i commented that 8 hrs seemed long. Having just the 2 procedures and the fact that she is a beautiful lady to start with usually, not always, mean less time. But I totally see your point about not having gone under the knife and how that limits my understanding of this process. I didn't realize that your surgery had taken 7 hrs but I can see now how that seems perfectly reasonable...grace60
So sorry for your difficulties post surgery.  I agree with Silverlegend that you were lovely before and look beautiful afterward as well.  Perhaps time will help and things will settle in to resolve for you.  Good luck!
Thank you so much Financegirl. I appreciate you support. I am being patient.
So sorry. The more time I spend on this site, the more I see of things that do not go right. I was lucky. But my eyes are perpetually drier than they were and I think my vision is worse. You were beautiful before and still are. Good luck solving this.nerves take a while to heal, the top of my pointy head is still numb after 5 months!
Hi Silverlegend. I can not agree more about the stuff that goesw wrong, or not expected. I started reading posts of others more now. My right eye is still sooooo dry. I had my eyes re-checked last week due to all of it, because of dryness and blurred vision it causes. I am still using eye drops. I am sure being numb for 5 months is also unpleasant. Who did your surgery if I can ask? Please, stay well, and thank you for your warm words. It truly helps.
My dr is Timothy miller of San Clemente. My eyes also became more prone to allergies. I learned some things, Never rub your eyes keep yr hands away. Keep makeup away if u hurt at all. Even now if I use any makeup, concealer mascara, eyeliner I get it off as soon as I can. I have a review under facelifts. If u go to my profile u can go to the link.
Hi Silverlegend. Thank you for you post. Mine is not allergy related, but nerve issue and decreased motor control over right eye resulting in lower lid drop and dry eye. It is getting much better, but it was scary and not very good looking for a while. Thank you again, I will look at your review, hope you had more luck.
Now it has been 4 weeks and my left eye is getting better. I still can not fully shut it when I wink, but at least it is not that obvious. My nose still looks WIDE, but profile pictures and look is good - but not so much different than before. My ear lobes look stretched, hope this is going to do down some more. I am posting pictures so you can see: before and 4 weeks after and judge yourself. I am still not positive that spending $15,000.00 was worth it.
IMHO one month is nothing swelling wise. Trust your surgeon. From what. I've read a nose job swelling takes the. Longest.
Monika, Sorry to hear that your healing is delayed with hopes that you will have a full recovery and the results you expected. I assume your doc has instructed you on things to do to keep your eye healthy while the healing progresses. If this happened to only one eye what does your PS say caused this and what timeframe does he give for significant improvement. The experience of others is what helps us all more realistically anticipate our procedures and post op. Best wishes..grace60
Dear Grace, Thank you for your response. My doctor actually did not say much, just not to worry. I am now just past 3 weeks post op and my eye is still not ok. Unfortunately everyone notices that. My right eye blinks on delay comparing to left one, gets dry, causes blurry vision and it gives me that "droopy eye or "scared of something" (per my friends and coworkers) look. I put eye drops daily and try to gently massage under the eye area and try to be very patient. I just wish someone would at least mentioned that this may sometimes happen. I would have taken more time off just in case to fully recover, and not embarrass myself at work. I have no idea about the time frame of this recovery except what I read on "Real Self" from others and I also "Googled" the subject giving me much more knowledge. I am full of hope. My nose is also still stiff and swollen, especially the tip, but that was fully explained to me by my Doc. I will post my pictures at 4 weeks and pre and post so you and others can see. I am 46 years old by the way.

Oh gosh, I hope your watering, drooping eye heals SOON so you can enjoy your results. Thank you for sharing on RealSelf and please keep us posted as you continue to fully recover!