Rhinoplasty - 2 months into recovery

I had an open rhinoplasty done 3 weeks ago....

I had an open rhinoplasty done 3 weeks ago. Recovery has been a bit more annoying and uncomfortable than I expected. I had a lot of swelling, bruising, aching, sinus pressure and stuffiness. Those issues are very gradually dissipating. I'm only just now regaining my energy and feelings of well-being. If I had it to do again, I would take 2-3 weeks off work, so I could really have a chance to rest and recover, rather than only one.

I'm still very early in the healing process and I know I have a long way to go before I'll see the final results. I still have a LOT of swelling and even a little bit of lingering bruising under my eyes. My nose definitely looks much better than before, but I still have a hard time not standing in front of the mirror, obsessing over every slight or imagined imperfection. Fortunately I chose a skilled, caring doctor that I trust, so I know I don't need to worry as it will all work out well.

it appears that I have Hemosiderin Staining under my eyes.

I've seen no improvement in the bruising under my eyes in the past week and it suddenly occurred to me that it's likely Hemosiderin Staining. I've had this problem every time I've had sclerotherapy on my legs and it lasts a full year every time, but it never occurred to me that this was a possibility with rhinoplasty. Black eyes for a year? I'm not happy about this development.

The good news: the stuffiness, numbness, tingling and movement in my nose is improving every day. It's actually starting to feel like part of my body.

The stiffness/poking/moving columella strut has also improved dramatically. I can only feel it now if i talk a lot or eat something that requires a lot of chewing. I guess it just needed a little time to soften and settle.

I added a few before and after pictures.

It's been about 6 weeks since my surgery. I still have a bit of swelling, especially in the tip, and I still have a bit of lingering discoloration under my eyes, but I think my nose is looking pretty good.

My skin is still oilier and rougher looking than normal. I'm glad I'm finally to the point where my nose isn't so sensitive and I can properly wash and exfoliate my face. I've missed my Clarisonic.

At 2 months post op, the columellar strut is still a source of constant discomfort.

For a short time I thought this issue was improving, but unfortunately that didn't last and now it's worse than ever. It appears that the columellar strut is too long. Talking, chewing, smiling, laughing all make the cartilage graft scrape uncomfortably against the bone above my front teeth. It also gets stuck to the side many times a day and must be manually manipulated back to the center.

This is a constant source of discomfort and annoyance and it's having a major impact on my quality of life. This is particularly true when it comes to my job, which requires me to give frequent presentations. After talking for only a few minutes, the scraping, clicking and resulting pain become unbearable.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any chance it will resolve on its own? I assume I will probably need to have the cartilage shortened, but I want to avoid more surgery if I possibly can.
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

You say you had a collumer strut cartilage graft? What exactly is that and why did they do that?
It's a little piece of cartilage that holds the tip in place. Do a website search or a google search and you'll find lots of information.
looking good thanks for sharing.
Looking really good! Your tip looks amazing now! Ahhh I'm currently missing my Clarisonic! :) Lucky you. When exactly did you start using yours? I need to buy some new brushes anyway.
I just started using it yesterday, after my most recent visit with my surgeon. He said the bone is healing well and, other than a hard punch in the nose, there isn't much I can do (within reason, obviously) that will have a permanent affect on my results.

Oh gosh! I'm sorry you're dealing with the ongoing black eyes. Here's a thread in the facelift community about makeup for covering bruises. You might check it to see if there's something that might help you make it through this time.

Please keep us updated!

Thanks. I'll check it out.
What's hemosiderin staining?
It's staining from the iron in the blood. Hopefully that's not what I have, but I suspect it is since I've had it a few times before. That's the problem with having surgery; there are so many possible unexpected effects.
I hope you feel better.
I wish you a speedy recovery. Would love to see ur photos. Thanks.