25 Year Old Male, Wide Nose, Septal Bump and Bulbous Tip - West Des Moines, IA

Large noses run in my family and I am a small guy,...

Large noses run in my family and I am a small guy, only 5'7 and about 120. I had a bulbous tip and septal bone that made my nose arch downward and projected too far out from my face. Also too wide from the front. I have contemplated rhinoplasty for years and now that I am graduated from college I decided to go through with it. I will update this post throughout my healing process.

Two days post op

Not looking too bad today, after heavily using ice packs to reduce swelling around the eyes. Have experienced some mild oozing still but is very intermittent. Would say it is more discomfort than pain at this point at the internal stents come out tomorrow at 10 AM. Both sides are full of dried blood so I'm curious as to how painful this removal will be.

3 days post op - internal stents removed

So I just had the internal stents removed and it was extremely painful. There was so much dried blood he basically had to get a good grip on them and just yank them. That in turn released a decent amount of backed up blood but otherwise he said I'm healing well. Next appointment is Friday to get the external splint off and the remaining stitches. Definitely happy I can breathe through my nose again!

Night of stent removal

Experienced a bit of congestion and discomfort in the afternoon and evening after the internal stent removal. Looking up my nose with a light confirmed it was just chunks of coagulated blood from the removal earlier that day. Cleaning my nostrils 2-3 times into the evening allowed me to breathe through both nostrils again. The worst part was trying to separate the clotted blood from nose hair and not going very far into the nose to get a grip on it. Was very surprised he did not shave the inside of my nose. If I still have persistent clotting on Friday I will see if he can loosen it with a saline solution and remove them.

5 days post op

As you can see my bruising has really cleared up! Hoping my swelling won't last as long as the doctor anticipates! Will post another pic on Friday after I get the cast off.

1 week post op

Finally!! I do have to say, I could not be happier with the work that Dr. Robbins did for me. If you compare this with the two before photos, the one in the car and the one in the house you can see that my nose is now narrower and the little dip of skin at the tip of my nose/between my nostrils is now gone as well. The tip itself is still a bit swollen so I will wait to post a side profile until the swelling goes down.

One month post op

Sorry for the lack of updates, had my first post-op photo from the surgeon.

Final post op photos

Post photos

West Des Moines Plastic Surgeon

My procedure was performed by Dr. David Robbins of Des Moines Plastic Surgery in West Des Moines, IA. He is Iowa's only quadruple board certified plastic surgeon and specializes in face. His practice is also in the Black Diamond Club.