Decision in the Making - West Covina, CA

I have been wanting to get a nose job for a really...

I have been wanting to get a nose job for a really long time but I have lacked the money to do it (to be honest, I really don't even have the money now). I have made 4 consultation appointments for the month of June; my first one being this Friday, June 1st. I am a little nervous because I don't know what to expect at one of these things.

Throughout my childhood I always got made fun of because of my nose and had so many "nicknames" if you want to call them. It took its toll on me...BAD..ever since then (and it continues) I have had very low self-esteem when it comes to my appearance. I feel like my nose is the first thing people see, they end up judging me; i feel like a freak. I catch myself hiding my face/nose sometimes because I'm afraid that someone will make a comment. I am 25, I will be 26 in August; it's time for a change. I need to feel good about myself, some may say that I am doing this procedure to satisfy others, and that may be true to an extent but once you have lived with the name calling, the taunting your entire life....you end up believing it and those names become apart of you; having no love for yourself. That is what it's done to me, this is something I need for ME!

I have done a lot of research regarding this procedure, honestly, I'm a little hesitant but very determined at the same time. Although I have not made a surgery date, I am preparing myself mentally for ALL of the things that I need to do before and after the procedure. Reading stories/comments on this website has really....helped me prepare for what might be coming. I stumbled upon this site and it has made me get rid of any doubts that I might be having. Of course, I will have some sort of doubt, probably more fear and nervousness then anything, but nonetheless reading the stories especially AM's, have comforted me a lot. I figure if I take this step of getting my nose done, I can do accomplish the goals that I made myself believe that were/are impossible. Getting this done would probably be the most gutsists thing I have ever done (besides belly button piercing and tattoo lol). I need confidence ALOT of it and I'm hoping that this will steer me in the right direction.

Enough of this.... I will update and inform what my first consultation was like and if I will continue with the goal,
until then....

Thank you so much Jessie. With regards to the carecredit....when you decide on a doctor do you apply before you make the appointment? Then when you make a date do you pay for whatever fee to secure that appointment with carecredit?
Good luck with your consultations Katrina! I am using CareCredit, it is super easy to apply for. I was approved in under 10 seconds online. My card came in the mail a few days later. Go with one of the no interest options if you can and pay it off within the promotional period. I'll be following your journey!
Lol noooo worries =]

Well today was my 1st consultation with Dr. Cohen....

Well today was my 1st consultation with Dr. Cohen. Once i started getting closer to the office and even waiting to be called back/waiting for the doctor to see me I was nervous as ALL hell! The anticipation was killing me! I was a half hour early and he was about 45 mins late but considering how my visit went with him I didn't let that bother me anymore.

Dr. Cohen is a very sweet and straight doctor. He pointed something out to me that I would have never thought of up until now.
He flat out told me that my nose was NOT big, what makes it bigger than what it seems is because I have a very small chin which causes my nose to stick out more than it should. If I indeed went with this doctor I would have to get rhinoplasty, a chin implant, as well as fixing of my septum(which would help me breathe better). I was SO not expecting to hear that, I almost freaked out how much more money would be tacked on but I have to keep reminding myself that cost/price should not be a factor. The cheaper the procedure, the crappier it could be. He used "facial harmony" a lot when he was explaining how he wanted/would do during my procedure. He kept emphasizing that if i am ONLY focused on my nose, i will never be satisfied, no matter what nose he did (he used an irish nose an example) it will always look big to me due to my chin. Dr. Cohen said that my face was not balanced, when thinking about getting my nose done, I have to focus more on facial harmony rather than just one thing. He also said that he doesn't do this just for the money, it's not about that, it's making his patients feel comfortable and happy with themselves as opposed to other doctors who will just do what the patients want rather than looking at the bigger picture.

He was very easy going and up-front with me and I really liked that. All of my questions got answered (minus 4...out of 31 questions), i felt bad because i asked so many but he let me ask as many questions as I wanted and answered them all in detail.
I can say this much, if the 3 other doctors I have consultations with DO NOT mention what Dr. Cohen did, I am definitely going with Dr. Cohen. He just actually saved me... I have never noticed that my chin was really small, he might have saved me from any misfortune on doing this procedure. He highly recommends that I do the chin implant in order to fill my needs.

Soooo....we will see what the next doctor says and i will go from there! (Next Friday the 8th)

Until then..... =]
I never really noticed that until he pointed it out. More than what I wanted to get done but hey.... whatever works i am fine with at least he was honest in his observation rather than just giving me what I wanted ya know?! We'll see how it goes with the other doctors though... if they don't mention it then Dr. Cohen it is...
Katrina I can completely see what he's saying now that I look at your pic again. You do have a little chin, that's good then you wont have to get has much work on your nose as I did and be so swollen =) I'm glad it went well for you!

After reading some stories on chin impacts....I'm...

After reading some stories on chin impacts....I'm getting nervous on if I should go through with that or not. =\ the doctor said I i have a small chin and in order to get the results i want as far as the nose job I would need to get a chn implant. Without it....id be doing myself a disservice .... nomatter what I do to my nose, it'll always look big. I've read on websites that that's true...but considering the stories I've read about chn implants =\ its making me nervous. People being dissatisfied with it and end up taking it out, being crooked and what not. =\ I'm getting more nervous on having all if this done =\ help??

Question to anyone whose gotten a chin...

Question to anyone whose gotten a chin implant:

Did you have more than 1 consultation with different doctors to get different opinions? or did you settle for the first or second
doctor you saw?
=[ I'm sorry that that has happened to you. Ive been doing my research, having multiple consultations and asking A LOT of questions. I think a lot of prole on this site did not research like they should've been...no offense to those who did, its just something I've noticed. They are not satisfied because they didn't take precaution....like you Tee, and its unfortunate you had to learn the hard way.

But then again....doing your research may not make any difference, these procedures don't always guarantee perfection. I'm my part and doing all that I can. Whoever I decide on...I will have a second consultation and go into depth on what will be done, get a morph image and make my appointment. I'm really sorry for anyones misfortune =[ I hope mine doesn't have the same result...that's what I'm nervous about. But like I said...I've only seen 1 doctor, I have 3 more to see. Hopefully by the end of this month or even July I will have an answer, until then its just weighing everything out
People* not prole....stupid phone
I wish I would of came to this page like Katrina did, think I would have waiting till I went to more consultations. I went to the place I got mine done because my friend recommended me to them but she got her breast done, big mistake on my part for by doing alittle additional research on him an being lazy, now I have to have a third surgery eventually because my nose is not an acceptable and now I have to somewhat fight for what I want.. Too Long of a story to explain but believe me when I say that it's all a mess :/ hopefully everything goes smoothly but no way in hell I'm letting the same dr mess with my face for a third time! Just make sure you do research Katrina don't get lazy like I did, being double board certified in plastic surgery is obviously not enough. Really I wish you the best of luck with your rhinoplasty :)

Looked on the CareCredit website and made a...

Looked on the CareCredit website and made a guestimate of how much I wanted to finance for with the cost that my first doctor gave me and DAMN! I am going to have a difficult time paying this off when I get this procedure done. People tell me to get CareCredit without the interest rate, but...umm...did ya look at the payments per month?! HELL NOOOO!!! Max month with no interest is $500 payment per month, i don't think so. It's going to be very difficult to pay this off when I have no job =/ I have no choice but to include the interest rate and have to pay $200 a month.

I am NOT going to let lack of money keep me from this doing, I have to keep reminding myself that this is something I want to do and the price is worth it. The cost of the procedure doesn't bother me, i know it's going to be a lot of money, but the payments per month? I SO was not expecting that at all. I saw that last night (and put in different amounts) and the payments are ridiculous; it discouraged me a lot! But i can't let that get me... i really can't. This is something I have wanted my entire life, i will not let this get to me and i WILL do this! I know how to budget the money that I get and i can make it! This just means that I need to get a job within that time frame to help me.

Does anyone know when you start making the payments? Is it the day after the surgery???
Oh i know you're not, it's just being smart about it that I have to pay attention to. I know you guys aren't telling me NOT to do it, even if you were, i wouldn't listen anyways lol (just kidding!)

As far as using CareCredit just something "elective" i mean my mom worked in a cosmetic surgery environment and that's what the doctor used in order to help the patients pay off their procedures. I mean yea there's it's downfalls...but it's no different than anything else in the world...like credit cards. People get the MAX they want and once there's nothing left a certain amount is required monthly. I may not be like some people who have saved an X amount for this procedure, have that good paying job and not have to worry about struggling, or even have that significant other to help me out because I have none of that. I am smart enough to do my research and know what's involved. I did know eventually that I would be pushed up against the wall and have to get a job in order to pay for this. I am grateful that I have this support group to go to when I have doubts or questions about what i am considering doing, i appreciate EVERYTHING you guys tell me, i take every bit of advice seriously and into consideration when I approach this so don't think that I take what you guys say with a grain of salt and ignore it. I have learned what to do and what not to do DUE to being on this site whether it's from advice that's been given or things i've observed on my own.

I have different scenarios in my head on what I can do regardless if I get a job or not. It kind of all depends on how much money i am getting. The student loans I would be getting regardless if I was getting this procedure done or not because honestly, as sad as it seems, the money that I get no matter the amount, goes to my family. We are struggling and going through a lot of BS. Nose job was actually 2nd on my list when i knew i was able to get a student loan, my family comes first. I need to do some serious thinking about what is going to happen. I know i need a job whether i go through with this procedure or not, that's a given. I don't want to be in debt either because I wasn't thinking about EVERYTHING. I will work something out, i will make things work but at the same time be smart about it.

There will always be morons no matter where you go in life lol, there's always some a-hole trying to get more money out of you (don't ya love it?!) But again... i will not let anything get in my way. I am determined!!! =] I realize now that I may not get this done when i wanted to get it done, i might be pissed now or even when its staring me in the face, but i know it'll be for a reason. I know there is no rush to this, in a way i feel like i'm rushing...but maybe it's just because i'm anxious and excited; needing a desperate change. At least i'm considering the pros and cons to this; not acting out on a idiot move and just doing it because i want it and not caring about the consequences later. Doing research is what i do when it comes to something i am passionate about, i never jump in without knowing what i'm getting myself into.

I can't thank you guys enough for all you have given me =]
Sounds like you have a good perspective. We are most certainly not saying DONT do it. Being that I am getting the surgery myself, I encourage it..if it is something that will make you feel better about yourself. I just wouldn't want you to put yourself in a bad financial situation (especially if your family is already in one) over something like this.

Like everyone else is saying..if you want it, work for it! Let it be something that motivates you to work harder, so that you can actually afford it..not finance it. As Strawberry said, you should never finance something this large with CareCredit...because trust me when I tell you that the company is filled with a bunch of morons who will do anything to make sure you end up paying more than you signed up for. We are all here if you need any advice!

Keep your head up! You will definitely get the surgery...but it just may not be as quick as you want it.
@ Lilly, yea I know...the person I'm dealing with for University of Phoenix told me that the interest would go up after July 1st, and unfortunately I start July 17th so i get what you're saying there. I see what my mom and other people go through as far as loans and my family is in a tough spot the only person working is my sister (she's 23), my mom lost her job last december. Her and I nor my sister has had any luck finding a job so it really sucks. We have been living off of my moms student loans and whatever my sister brings in (which isn't a lot ... $200ish every week) doesn't mean crap when you have a lot to dish out. I've been living off of financial aid for as long as i can remember and i HATE it with a passion. I've run into 2 "jobs" that have F'ed me over (both saying or implied that i had the job when i really didn't and f'ing around with me as far as what's going on and just not communicating with me. School has ALWAYS been a run-down when it comes to me looking for a job. I always had to give myself a short period of time to get into a job before registration and if I didn't then i was stuck with just school because all that I was looking was either office jobs and I could only work up to a certain time due to doing homework and waking up early for class. NOW that i am going into an online program, hopefully my doors with open as far as getting a job. I can be more flexible. But yea with the economy the way it is.....EHHHH! i'm stressing balls here.

@ Strawberry, it's not making me feel bad at all, it's good advice. I mean it discourages me A LOT but it's reality. I am going to keep saying it, I am not going to let anyone or anything get in the way of what I want to do, and i'm sticking to it! It is what it is... I don't want to put myself in a spot with all this and I know i need to get a job, it could make things a lot easier when making the payments. The whole interest free loan...not gona happen though. I am the only one with good credit so that one would go out the window, it's alllll up to me. I could ask if they are hiring, I never thought about that, I will have to ask (thank you!!! =] )

All of what you guys are saying does bring a sense of discouragement to me, BUT it does help a lot. I wasn't going to literally jump into this but it has brought me to a whole different perspective and i thank you guys for that. I am just really anxious to get this done, I want to feel good about myself... and i knew once i was passionate about something there would always be something there to hold me back. This time i am going to kick it in the ass and work harder to get it done because I AM going to get it done. I put in about.... maybe 10 resumes yesterday to craigslist and I have a couple resumes to bring in IN person so I have to make time for that, maybe even do it tomorrow after my 2nd consultation.

Again... thank you.
Truth hurts but hey.... =] it's gotta be said

Well today was my 2nd consultation, I think it...

Well today was my 2nd consultation, I think it went fairly well although there were some things that I was very skeptical about. The doctor overall, he was very sweet and encouraged me to ask all the questions I had and plus some, which was really cool. Between the doctor and the nurse/receptionist that was present in the room with me, were really shocked that I had all of my stuff organized and a notebook and questions all ready to go. Most of their patients don't do that, they come in without knowing anything about the procedure they want done and don't ask nearly half (if any) of the questions they should be asking; so i felt REALLY good about myself and how i am organized with all this.

When it come to explaining my procedure and what I wanted done, he did the same thing Dr. Cohen did, which was getting a hand mirror, point out what I wanted to change. He was detailed to an extent on what he would be doing to my nose and how he would be doing it. He wasn't fully detailed like the first doctor i saw was, which made me feel a little hesitant. After explaining what needed to be done to my nose, i realized he was NOT going to mention anything about my chin or "facial harmony" as i've been hearing it be said. SO, i decided to take it upon myself and bring it up! Once I brought it up, he almost seemed stunned that I even knew what i was talking about and it took him a few seconds to even respond to what I had just said. He nodded and agreed and pretty much left it in MY hands and said i could get it or not. If i had it done my face would look symmetrical it would better even out the face, but not having it done my nose would still look small. He did not go into detail on why i needed or even elaborate on what I had said, he just left it at that. That made me a little uncomfortable considering Dr. Cohen was VERY detailed about the chin, he focused more on the chin than the nose and told me that no matter what I had done with my nose, due to my chin being small, my nose would always look bigger than what it seems. I felt that this doctor left the decision up to me and i didn't like that all. I am the patient, i have NOOO idea what in the hell i am getting myself into, i mean this is my face, i don't want a doctor telling me it's up to me and end up messing up my face and spending money that I shouldn't be spending because they weren't looking out for their patient's best interest. Dr. Cohen....did.

I felt like he was rushed a little...as far as wanting to schedule for labwork and the surgery, he went very quickly in what the procedure consisted of. It almost seemed like I was going to make the appointment and do the surgery right then and there and that was a little strange. I am in noo way down talking this doctor, i am not judging his expertise, i just...didn't feel as comfortable with him as i did with Dr. Cohen. He joked around a lot, made me feel really comfortable with environment. I just did not like the fact that he was leaving this decision up to me, i mean yea... it IS my decision, but on a professional level, you're not just going to let your patients get whatever the hell they want done when they shouldn't be. In a way, i kind of felt like he added the chin implant just to get the extra money because it was another procedure under his belt. With Dr. Cohen, i did not feel that at all, he told me how it was and that was that. This is someone's face we're talking about here.... the patients don't know all of the things that come with these procedures, the doctor is there to educate you and help you make a decision (what is your professional opinion, what do they suggest) it shouldn't all be up to the patient because patients don't always know what's best for their body when it comes to plastic surgery....but maybe that's just my opinion.. As of RIGHT NOW (until i see my last 2) Dr. Cohen is the one i want to with, so far.
I am taking my time, I honestly think that is the problem with some of the stories i've been reading on here. I have learned from some of the stories i've read and made it a habit to NOT to what they did.

Before I even came to this site i did my research and all that mess, the chin implant was brought up out of the blue, my first consultation doctor mentioned that to me so now i have to add that in to my research lol. =] But good... i'm glad to hear you had a good experience with the chin implant, i was getting a little worried on some things. "Facial balance" was what i have been reading and hearing from doctors so i know its not full of crap. I have my 3rd consultation this friday then on monday, then i get to make my decision as far as doctors go...then its scheduling and getting prepared for everything.
Hey there, was reading about your journey to rhino since its something I've been slowly researching but i appreciate your sharing. I love that youre taking your time and doing your research. I just wanted to jump in about the chin implant concerns because I just had that done a few weeks ago and couldn't be happier with the results already.
I'm also in southern Cali, you can see who my doc was in my review. I reseached "facial balance" tons as i was going on consults and was very clear about the results i was after.

After the procedure, i was back to work 5 days later- very big concern of mine going into the surgery. Not saying you should add that on, but just wanted to share that it was a really positive experience and for me, made a huge difference in how I view my face. I truly wish u the best with your journey!

Well, today I have my last consultation then it's...

Well, today I have my last consultation then it's time for me to make a decision!
the last one i went to i saw Dr. Miller and OMG he was amazing! He mentioned everything
that Dr. Cohen did only did one step better. They both mentioned the same things and talked about
the facial balance which was awesome! Dr. Miller took the same steps and mentioned the same things
as the first doctor i saw but he did one step better. He took pictures of my front/side view profile and pointed
out exactly what he meant by facial balance also pointing out what he was talking about concerning my chin.

He did add a procedure (neck lipo) in order to bring out like a 3D illusion to kind of bring out my chin a little more.
He suggested between that and a chin implant, having both would help bring out the other but that was entirely up to me.
I really liked how Dr. Miller approached things. He had a look at my nose, looked inside and explained in detail what he wanted to do. He checked my breathing; said that one nostril collapses more than the other so he would fix that as well. I don't know just something about him....i really liked. I will more than likely go with Dr. Miller. Between Dr. Miller and Dr. Cohen....it's a hard decision because I like them both. So we will see.....

I have my last consultation so we'll see how that one goes but I think i have made my decision on which doctor to go. =]
I'm excited!! Once i officially make the decision...i will probably make a second appointment and get more in detail on what needs to be and all that mess then concentrate on getting the things that i need.

I have made my decision...Dr. Miller it...

I have made my decision...Dr. Miller it is!!

The doctor i saw today...sorry to say it...was a bitch! She totally disrespected my mom (i had her come with me for support) and said some things she shouldn't have said. I was floored and really pissed off; i tuned out to everything she was telling me and had absolutely no interest whatsoever in what she was saying. She was disrespectful and i did not like her one bit. Her approach to things were lousy, she mentioned my chin (it's too small) but did not emphasize or give detail on what needs or should be done. She did not really give me a chance to ask any questions (after she said what she said to/about my mom i lost interest and didn't really give a crap). She showed me pictures of people who had rhinoplasty's and pretty much rushed me out the door (not that I cared). As far as giving me an estimate on how much it might be....all i got was a piece of paper with a list of certain things and prices next to: doctor fee, facility fees and what not...but there was no actual estimate...so i pretty much had to figure out the cost on my own. This doctor did NOT interest me at all...very disappointed and quite frankly she made it easier on me to make my decision.

She offended me...and most of all my mom. Screw that doctor!

I have to wait for Dr. Miller's receptionist to email me the quote on how much the procedure will be, the next step i will apply for carecredit and i will go from there. Probably end up making another appointment in get in BIG detail and last minute questions to finalize my decision then make a surgery date! EXCITED!!! =] can't wait!

.............

.............
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

The majority of my votes are accurate minus the "After Care Follow-Up," and "Payment Process." Other than that every rating is on key. Until i get the procedure done, I will not be rating the "After Care Follow-up" and "Payment Process."Updated on 19 Jun 2012:The first words that came out of her mouth, other than introducing herself, were completely disrespectful. She disrespected my mom by saying things that should not have been said. I was not at all pleased which made me drawback from even considering her a for my procedure. She had no right to say what she said. As far as getting a cost on the procedure I wanted done....all I received was a piece of paper with a list of certain things with prices on them; making me think/assume that I had to figure out the cost on my own. Not a first good impression...not to mention that when I emailed them to let them know I wanted a consultation, one of the receptionist asked me why I wanted this procedure and what I wanted fixed....I responded and never got a response back. Poor experience...and that was only for a consultation