Almost 30 Year Old Implants GONE! One Year Update - Wesley Chapel, FL

Hello lovely ladies. I have gleaned so much...

Hello lovely ladies. I have gleaned so much information (and inspiration) from your stories and I've decided that its time to begin to share my story.

Years ago in the mid-80s I decided to get breast implants. I wasn't terribly unhappy with my size (34 B) but it seemed to be what everyone was doing at the time. My husband said that it was up to me if I wanted to do it, but I'm pretty sure that he wasn't unhappy with my decision. He's always been very supportive of all my decisions over the years...and he is now as well.

Fast forward to the present...well a few months ago. My gynecologist called me after my annual mammogram and said that my right implant was bleeding silicone. He also told me that it was about the same amount that showed on my mammo the year before!! WHAT? No one bothered to call me last year! Evidently this was not present on my mammo of two years ago...but still!

I had already decided that I was over the big-boobed look, but didn't have the financial resources to do anything about it (hubby under employed for the last few years). I also have a very atypical form of Multiple Sclerosis and wonder if my implants might have something to do with that. I know, I know, there have been studies done that refute this, but they only followed those ladies for about nine years post implant. I have slight numbness in the three middle fingers of my right hand and now, recenty have been battling frozen shoulder on the right side (same side that is leaking). I don't expect these issues to go away upon explantation, but it would be a nice added bonus. I've read on other sites that women have had similar issues and they felt better after their explantation. Placebo effect or not...I'll take it. I also have capsular contracture on both sides (right more than left) so its really time to do this.

I've put on a few pounds over the years so I'm now a 36 D-DD. I'm hoping that I'll at least remain a B cup, but if I don't I'm all right with it. I've taken up running and my boobs are just an annoyance when I run. Like other ladies here have mentioned I have to buy shirts in a larger size to accomodate the "girls"which makes me look bigger all over.I've also found that I try to buy bras that minimize my chest because i feel like my boobs look disproportionately large for my size (fake). I'm looking forward to looking a little more streamlined.

My doctor is Paul Albear and I really like him. I saw a few surgeons before him any they all gave me the "you'll be unhappy with how you're going to look" and "don't you want to re-implant?" speeches. He was the only one to not suggest anything beyond explantation. He said to give it a good six months after surgery to let things settle and see how I feel.

I also found out that my insurance covers the explantation because its medically necessary, so now cost is not an issue. YAY!

My surgery is tentatively scheduled for November 8th, so I've got one month to go.
I'l post some current pre-op pics.

yeah so happy for you I had to pay out of pocket :( I explanted oct 4th and am still recovering.
You look great. I hope I look as good as you after my surgery. Take care. ((gentle hugs)).
Gentle hugs for sure still painful

Well I've been reviewing everybody's pre and post...

Well I've been reviewing everybody's pre and post op pictures and it hit me that I've probably got a good decade in age on most of you. I'm trying to find someone that "looks like" me to help gauge what my end result might be. I'm hoping that my skin still has some elasticity left. Does anyone know of any good products or techniques to encourage the "fluff fairy" to visit? Lol.
I am scheduled for November 7 so i know EXACTLY how your are feeling. I just turned 52 so I understand the elasticity issue.... I think you look great and you are fit so you'll do just fine! At least that's what I keep telling myself! Ha! Are you getting a lift? I need to and I don't want to wait so I'm doing it all together. Good luck Sweets!!
Hi MorCal1960 - The elasticity thing doesn't seem to be a issue with most ladies. I'm 56 had mine in for 30 years, its amazing how the skin can bounce back. Mine have been out 4 months.
I thought about a lift, but financially its not possible right now. My insurance won't cover that as its considered cosmetic. I'm hoping that my PS is right and that I won't be unhappy with the final results. He's encouraging me to wait and see. Good luck to you too!

Well I've removed my surgery date for now. The...

Well I've removed my surgery date for now. The PS's office had an issue with whether to do the surgery in a one day surgery facility or a hospital. The PS was under the impression that, because I was using my health insurance to pay, the surgery had to be done in a hospital (not the case). Then he said that he needed cardiac clearance before the surgery, which I already had, so the cardiologist's office had to fax my records to the PS's office ( I don't have any cardiac issues, but they at one time thought that I did). This all took a lot of back and forth phoning on my part to all these doctor's offices. THEN my surgeon was out of town for awhile...sigh. I think maybe, finally I'll get my surgery date scheduled some time this week (fingers crossed). I'm beginning to wonder if he really wants to do the surgery. I just want to get it done before the end of the year as I've already met my deductible, and if I do it next year it will add $750 to my portion of the cost :(
Oh what a pain.... I am so sorry for your delay. I know I was counting the days and getting more and more anxious every day. I hope you can get it rescheduled soon. You'll feel so much better when it's over.
Hi beagleMama-- Funny you mention insurance covering your surgery. When I went to my consultation with my surgeon he said my insurance might cover the removal but not the lift. Good news? My insurance did cover the lift if I was having pain. Bad news? I guess I didn't complain about my discomfort enough and the insurance company denied my claim. I thought of trying again and then thought...my implants are just bugging me and no, I am not really in pain. I was kind of thinking a karma thing--if I went ahead with trying to get my insurance to cover the removal THEN I would probably have pain after surgery! Ha!! Ahhh, so I am paying for it myself. I too was anxious to get it done by the end of the year. The surgery is this Wed, 11/7 for me and they are doing it in the out-patient surgery center. My surgeon did not want to do it in office because of the age of my implants (23 years old) the placement (under muscle) and I think the lift... I'm ok with it--just get these babies out--I am over them in a big way!! Good luck and remember to keep calling until you get an appointment!! Squeaky wheel..... :)

Well I now have a surgery date...November 30th. I...

Well I now have a surgery date...November 30th. I called my PS's office first thing this morning and scheduled it. I'm so ready to do this. I'm not even that concerned about what I'll look like after. I guess that's the up side of having so many scheduling delays. I'm looking forward to looking like a 56 year old should look. Now I just have to settle down and wait and try not to get too nervous in the meantime. Twenty five days seems so far away.
Hi, I can so understand you. I am waiting too and all we want is the day to be here already. good luck and all the best!
I'm trying to keep busy with holiday preparations. I guess the timing is good. Keeps me from thinking too much about the end of the month.
I'm about your age and I got my silicone implants in 1980. Left implant is completely hard causing pain in several areas; even went the ER one morning because of the burning pain in left arm. I can't afford $8,000 to have them removed so I guess I'm pretty much stuck with them,unless of course, I end up with a terminal illness from silicone poisoning. The surgeon I spoke with requires an MRI before doing any removal of silicone implants..which means more out of pocket expense. How do I get these things removed under my medical plan? I'm scheduled for a Mammo and ultrasound today. Hopefully, they will find just cause to remove these things before they kill me.

Well, I haven't been on here much lately because...

Well, I haven't been on here much lately because I've just been playing the waiting game - but no more. My surgery is happening tomorrow morning at 11. Eeeek!!!!! I'm so nervous, but anxious to get it over with. I'm going to stay busy tonight by washing the sheets and cleaning. I guess its kind of like nesting when you're pregnant. Lol. I'll post pictures when I can. Until then...
Good luck with your surgery. Explantation in cases of silent rupture are necessary. In case of rupture, always discuss with your surgeon whether your implants are under warranty so that the company can be notified and any warranty benefits are pertinent.
Wooohoooo! Happy your day has finally come!!!

Thanks for the well wishes everyone :) . We're on...

Thanks for the well wishes everyone :) . We're on the way to the surgery facility now. We'll talk later.
hope everything goes well beaglemama! happy healing!
Good luck beaglemama!
hope it all went well xx

Well, it's over. When we got to the surgery...

Well, it's over. When we got to the surgery facility we found that they were running behind so I didn't go in for surgery until about 1:30. When I woke up it was around 4 PM. My surgeon thought that my surgery would be pretty straightforward, but when he got in there he found that both sides had ruptured and there was silicone everywhere. I also had a lot of calcification that he had to get rid of. I think he had to remove a lot of tissue, so I may be more of an A cup after the swelling goes down. I haven't peeked inside my bra yet, but whatever I find in there will be alright by me. I'm not that sore and I haven't taken any of my pain meds yet at all. He initially didn't think that I would need drains, but ended up having to use them because of all the digging around that he had to do. I am definitely glad that I did this. I already feel leaner, and I'm looking forward to buying tops without regard to my size and how I look in them. But more important than that... I feel healthier already. So glad to get that junk out of my body. I'll post pictures later. I feel a nap coming on. Lol
I am so happy for you and it sounds like your doctor was very thorough. Best wishes for your healing!
Hello Beaglemama, best wishes to your healing! When I read your story I am so amazed, and worried, what do we put ourselves and bodies through? When I replaced my 20 year old implants, I had a lot of calcification too and as my PS couldn't remove all of it becuase the risk of bleeding, I was left with some very hard lumps. But it went away by itself! It took about 2 years but now it's gone. Som if you can feel that you have calcification pieces left, it will most probably be taken care of of your body!
That is good to hear. I don't know if any calcification was left behind or not as I haven't talked directly with my PS since right before the surgery. He spoke to my family after he was done but they didn't say that he mentioned that. I have a follow up appointment on Wednesday so I'll probably know more then. Thanks for the wishes. I really do feel the comraderie through these postings and it really helps to know that I'm not the only one riding this roller coaster.

I've finally gotten around to posting post-op...

I've finally gotten around to posting post-op photos. This is before my first shower and you can see the imprint of the gauze on my skin. Other than that, I think they look OK so far (considering what I've put them through). During my shower I noticed what other ladies here have said...I'd forgotten how soft boobies can be.

The output to my drains is decreasing each time we measure it, and the nurse said that if its less than 20mls per day that my PS will probably pull them when I see him this Wednesday. I hear that can be a little "ouchy" but I'm so ready to be rid of them.

All in all, I'd say that my boobies are very forgiving of me and I can say that I'll never put them through anything like this again... Lord willing.
Wow you look great already!
Hi beaglemama, you got very good results. You look beautiful. I had my implants removed 5 days ago and I am still very sore. Do you have any kind of soreness or discomfort? I m so happy to get my own body back, though I feel mine are sagged a bit but I'm in a sports bra for now and the soreness is worrying me. Just hoping its not any kind of fluid accummulation
Juliana I felt like I had been hit by a train after my surgery!! It is uncomfortable but I managed it with Advil and those things that you can freeze and hold. It will be fine don't worry and just rest, relax, heal and be happy it's over with :)

Well its been a month since my surgery. My boobs...

Well its been a month since my surgery. My boobs are still a little sensitive as are the scars, but this is improving every day. My right breast is pretty numb on the right side from my nipple over but my doctor said that the sensation will most likely return (he actually said "With a vengeance, sometimes"). I still think that it has all been worth it. I've been trying on some of my shirts and I'm so happy about the way I look in them. I don't miss being "big" AT ALL. My daughter and I went to Victoria's Secret the other day and I found some pretty bras to try on. I didn't buy any though, as I'm still a little too sore for underwires just yet. The clerk there measured me and said that I'm a 36 C. I don't feel like I look like a C cup... its probably due to more side boobage than before. Like other ladies here have said, my boobs seem wider. I think they've maybe tightened up a little bit but not that much. Time will tell and, hey, I'm 56 years old so I'm not expecting super perky boobs anyway. I find myself standing much taller as I'm not trying to hide my big boobs. All I know is that I'm THRILLED with the new me.
Hello, You look great I am 46 and three months post explant.
Hello firehorseoflove, I've been following your story on here and it seems that we do have some similarities. I think you had a great outcome and your story is very inspirational. Here's to feeling better every day. Happy healing
You look magnificent! And at a 36C - who needs implants! Congrats to you!

Well, its been around 10 weeks since my surgery. ...

Well, its been around 10 weeks since my surgery. I'm feeling a lot less sore, but still a little numb on the right side. I afraid that if the fluff fairy was going to visit, she would have been here by now... but no worries... I'm still happy with my result. And, more importantly, happy that I relieved my body of the stress that I was putting it through. On that front, my neurological symptoms have shown no change, but I'll be patient. Like I said before, they were in for 28 years... my body has a lot of undoing to do!

I have noticed that a little nagging, constant soreness that I had between my shoulder blades is now gone. Probably a combination of less weight in the front and better posture. I don't feel like I have to hide my giant bazongas anymore!

All in all, I would say that this is the best favor I've ever done for myself. Now... on to a happier and healthier life :)

Also, one more thing... thank you to all of you ladies who have had the courage to share your journeys. It certainly made my trip a little less lonely.
Nomore80's look...My question was for beagle mama, as I am in Florida. But, I appreciate your informative comment equally as much. I have been discovering a lot of women having their procedures around 2-3grand and yet, I get completely different quotes. So I do not know. lol I have insurance that covers this procedure but, I have been dealing with complete morons! Calling my insurance company tomorrow and see if there may be some other way or other options I can take. As far as your class action suit, whoever told you that you could still be a part of it, was correct. I have been conducting research and started noticing patterns that took me on a shocking and rather disturbing turn in the 'medical chain'. If you like I can share with you the information. Other than that, stand your ground and do not allow yourself to be defeated. There have been some women seek out an attorney independently. I would recommend an Injury attorney. They fight harder for their clients and best of all, they don't win, they don't get paid--so they are going to fight. Their fees are paid out of the wins. So no loss to you and gives a little more comfort and less stress. If you still have that toxic bag (what i call them) you have proof. It should have a serial # or some kind of identification on it. Get all records from the PS who conducted the explant. NOTE: Make sure you have it all and they are not trying to withold from you. All surgical procedure should be dictated out and be sure to read it thoroughly. Having your old doctors paperwork would be a definite help but, I wouldn't count on it turning up. If you keep having issues with him just bring up an attorney. NO matter the year or excuse, all patients have legal right to their medical records and it is at the doctors responsibility to ensure organization of all medical records. I would give you the law that states this but, I do not have it off top of my head. The toxic bag you still hold is your proof as well, because that identification should be on record linking to that doctor. You still have enough to fight. The silicone bags are filled with industrial chemicals, and other crap. Side effect of the silicone causes chemical toxicity whereas the saline bags are biotoxin. Chemical toxins are the hardest to treat and rid of completely within the body and the carcinogens which go into the body and cause a lot of different health issues, cancer causing agents-nasty cancers. Dow Corning has reported in trials of their products having carcinogens and neurotoxins. Methyl Ethyl Ketone is a chemical used in the SHELL of the breast implant. What is inside gets even scarier, I mentioned a few above. I am happy on your success of attaining your health back and feeling better since explantation. Once I get this whole mess fixed somehow in my situation, I am looking forward to an explantation myself. I just want my health back and its most important to me than superficial alteration of my body. We are all made a certain way for a reason and I have the utmost respect for that now and will not ever take for granted again. .... Yes, please keep me posted. =) I wish you best for a speedy recovery and hope all ends up well.
My Story: Actually, not sure if you're referring to me...but my implant removal cost was $3,000. $500 is if medical insurance kicks in or same PS the implanted also explanted due to having problems.....I'm assuming. Anyhow, Dow Corning told me my implants were too old and don't qualify for any money compensation for explantation fees or future health problems. If I'd had them removed 12 years ago...then maybe. One person told me yes I can still be part of the Class Action Lawsuit, then I'm sent a letter stating that my brand of implants didn't qualify and claims date has expired...hmmm? I know it's all BS! They also asked on the application if I have an attorney....probably should have, but the attorney would probably cost me more than the compensation....they know that. So, I pretty much don't have a strong enough case to back me up and my Implant doctor can't seem to find my records from 1978 and he's too old to remember to look....kind of funny. Anyway, I'm feeling much better since the removal. I like the way I look in clothes and naked....I look a lot more natural and real feeling... The worry is gone. I surely don't miss the hard humps in my breast. So glad I got rid of them...actually, one of them is sitting on my dresser in a baggy awaiting a call from my old PS...Hopefully, he will have additional proof that my implants do qualify after all. One thing I'm also hoping that will change is the readings on my Pap Smears. The past two years test came back positive for abnormalities, but they couldn't figure out why. I had a hysterectomy 22 year ago...so what could be cancerous? I went to my Oncologist and she didn't see anything either....hmmm, weird? I'll keep you posted if that too has improved since the implant removal.
I am all over searching for a PS. lol I am curious... was your implant removal cost only $500?? If so, I believe I found a PS! =) Money isn't leaping off trees right now. The symptoms you were experiencing, I firmly believe, are caused from the toxicity of the implants. There is plenty of scientific evidence to back this up. Pubmed.com and google silicone breast implant side effects and you will find 73 pages. Pubmed is the largest medical database. Alongside of that I have found blog after blog, website after website (even some from medical doctors) all with the same stories, same side effects and misdiagnosis. After having implants removed, they recovered! A few stories involved women in wheelchairs diagnosed with MS and Lupus together and of course death was inevitable. After having implants removed they were up and walking around within a day or two and feeling amazingly better. Could you imagine have received that news? And then find out the 'cure' was simply remove the toxic bags? Some stories were of a loved one speaking out for another loved one due to death from their implants. I have read of how so many women have been ridiculed and ostracized. (myself included) And I have scratched my head trying to make sense of all this. Then it finally hit me with a slap on the forehead duh moment. MONEY... We are simply victims of a broken system. First of all, have to think psychologically. Doctors know we women (for the most part) are getting cosmetic surgeries due to underlying self esteem issues. Now, they have a business that is in the money making market and to advertise and allow it to be known how dangerous breast implants are to womens health is not good advertisement against where their big money truly lies. So, upon having psychological knowledge to use against the women to ostracize them and basically beat them down that everything is in there head by using a 'fine line mental' system, then covers their business. I started having symptoms shortly after implants about 6 years ago. symptoms have worsened and now having MS symptoms. All of them!! It has truly interrupted my life. There are much better ways to improve our self esteem and quality of life WITHOUT dangering our health by altering our bodies cosmetically. MUCH better ways! Not really improving anything when our health suffers. My blessings to you and all women Congratulations on your explant!! So very happy for you!! =)

One Year Post Op Photos

Hello again ladies! I've been very absent lately but its time for my one year update. Things have been uneventful fortunately. My breasts are finally feeling like they're all mine again. I have no soreness anymore and my numbness has finally gone away. My neurological symptoms, although mild, are still the same, darn it. But I feel blessed to have good health. I just wanted to share what the removal of 29 year old implants on a 57 year old looks like at one year, in case anyone is in a similar situation.
wow, you look wonderful! thanks for sharing with all of us, I'm just short of one month and wonder what I'll look like!
Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Recommended by my gynecologist.