Mini Tummy Tuck - Tues. Excited and Scared! - Wellesley, MA

I am a 41 year old mother of three, ages 12 12,...

I am a 41 year old mother of three, ages 12 12, and 13. I have low body fat but have not been able to wear a bikini in 13 years. The skin below the belly is loose and wrinkles when I bend down. I hate that.

Surgery is two days from now. Some concerns include infection and/or a scar that is placed too high preventing the desired goal: a bikini!

Tomorrow is the day! Wish me luck :-) Any...

Tomorrow is the day! Wish me luck :-)
Any insight on just how bad this is going to hurt and with musc. tightening will be appreciated.

One week later and I couldn't be happier with my...

One week later and I couldn't be happier with my results. It's a good feeling.......one that is beyond words.

2 weeks post op. Today I learned, there's no need...

2 weeks post op. Today I learned, there's no need to be a hero. Sometimes, pain and inflammation have a mind of their own. Call your Doctor, if you have muscle pain (not uncommon at this stage) and work to get that pain under control.

WE MUST HAVE A GUARDIAN ANGEL. During my...

WE MUST HAVE A GUARDIAN ANGEL.

During my initial consult, Dr. Kimberly O'Sullivan urged me to have a few of my moles removed asap. They are/were located on my abdomen. When I told my husband about this, he seemed to take it in, especially given the irregular mole on his back. He had put off the removal of one mole, in particular, for nearly two years! Thank God, fate intervened on what could have been a horrific outcome. Dr. O'Sullivan is diligent and very informed about irregular moles. When I called her office on a Friday, they had a cancellation and scheduled my surgery on the following Tues...... to schedule my tummy tuck. I ran it by my best friend and husband of nineteen years. He said, "will she be able to remove my mole........after your procedure? I must admit, his inquiry caught me off guard. I was so excited about finally getting rid of this loose skin, it seemed odd to work in his mole but I went along. In fact, I had nearly forgotten but the answer was "yes" after I called the office to confirm.

A week later, the news was shocking and frightening beyond belief. Stage 1, active melanoma. Cancer. We are panicked beyond words and we're not out of the woods yet. This week, we're going to the Dana Farber Cancer Institute. We suspect, they will recommend a Sentinal Node Biopsy to ensure the cancer has not spread to his lymph nodes. The odds are on our side.

Miraculously, my tummy tuck, a Doctor who is hyper-vigilant about moles and a husband who needed an "in" all came together to give us a fighting chance. We have learned that Melanoma makes up 4% of all skin cancers but it is, by far, the deadliest. We both shudder to think of the outcome had we not found Dr. O'Sullivan.....or if I had delayed my procedure. The Real Self site led us down the road to what will likely be a full recovery. Please keep us in your prayers.

Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Dr. O'Sullivan is a wonderful and caring Doctor. She spent a great deal of time listening to my needs and taking my specific situation into consideration. She explained everything and analyzed various options for us to come up with the best course of action. The fact that she is warm and personable made me gravitate to her from the beginning. Her specialty as a hand surgeon in addition indicated to me that she is precise and detail oriented. Other reviews I have read describing her as an "artist" confirm this fact. I'm only 4 days in, but to date, my upper abs (around my belly button) look awesome and flat. The scar is very low and straight. Will write more when the swelling goes down and I can jump for joy, literally! can give a difinitive review on the lower but, so far, so good.

Wow! What a story. I'm SO glad your doctor caught your husband's cancerous mole. That is great news. Please let us know the next steps. I truly hope all is clear and he can be done with treatment.

Thank you. Will keep you posted.
Yay.......to three weeks. I'm three weeks tomorrow. There's a big difference from week to week. Swelling has gone down quite a bit. Same for u? No more pain....just a little itchy. Using mederma. I can see why 4 weeks seems to be the magic number. How was your first cardio workout?
Yes the swelling has gone down. It's still there a little. I can feel these really hard areas in my belly. I think that's the swelling still. My first workout was good. I took it easy. Broke a little sweat--felt good though. It's amazing how fast a person can get out of shape when they stop working out. I'm still wearing the paper tape-are you? Haven't put anything on the scars other that neosporin (that's what the nurse said to do) I'll start using Maderma once these tapes come off. The incisions are still very red and a little sore. I think they looked better last week. They do say it looks worse before it gets better again. We shall see.
Hi Debbie,

How are you feeling. Any muscle pain? Hope your doing well. I can't believe it's already been three weeks since I had surgery.
wow your pictures look great!
Thanks! So far, I'm happy and I finally got control of muscle pain - spasms. Yay!
Thanks so much! I'm very, very nervous and questioning whether or not this is a good decision. I'm so glad I found this website!!
Thanks!
My drain was taken out at one week. I didn't mind it too much. I think they're easier to hide if u r in a wintery climate w big coats, sweats, etc. I never mind a conservative approach like that. I look forward to to week 4. Apparently the swelling is supposed to lessen by 75%. Im 11 days in and feeling BLOATED.

GOOD LUCK W UR PROCEDURE. Dont forget to take pics. Keep me posted.
Thanks good to know......How long before your swelling went down? I'm so impatient. This waiting to get to exercise and get back to my normal routine (while not appearing bloated) was my biggest deterent from the beginning. Seems a good procedure to have done early in the winter. Let the countdown begin......
Wow! You look great. Did you have drains? I'm scheduled for mini tummy tuck and implants on Apr. 12 and am supposed to have drains in stomach for two weeks after....not liking that thought....
Congrats your mini is amazing!!!
Thank you! Will be glad when my energy level returns. 10 days post and still craving naps!
those naps are an amazing help lol.It takes awhile for the energy levels to return thats for sure but I am 6weeks and I dont even feel like I had a tt....I say enjoy it while you can!!
looking good!
Thanks!
Wow your one week pics look great. Your ps gave you a pretty long cut for a mini, but it's nice and low. That's an awesome result.
Thanks!
You know......the last thing I said before she started was that I wanted a low and short scar. She said the length shouldn't b my focus because the tightness would be compromised. She explained why. I agreed. I.m glad I trusted her on that because that bikinni is low......and the length doesn.t bother me given the location.
Yeah....you can for the mini if you go for local. I highly recommend local. There were parts in the beginning that I absolutely would not watch.....kind of had to work my way up to it. It was certainly as if I was watching someone else!

You were awake! Wow! I didn't even know they'd do that.

Make sure you keep napping and allowing your body the time it needs to heal. I know it's often hard not to do too much, but make sure you don't. And keep us posted on how your'e feeling! :)

Hi Leslianne,
I work out of my home but think one would need two weeks off from work. I get really tired by the afternoon and require a nap. Today I woke up with a little pain so will try to do less around the house. Hard to not push yourself sometimes. Resting w an ice pack helps a lot.

I decided to post picts at the one week mark-this Tues.

Take care,
Will keep you posted on results. I highly recommend local if that's your inclination. So far, belly appears tighter and flat in the upper ab. Thrilled with the lowness of the scar. Swelling is at lower ab. Pain has been very manageable. Sleeping at night....not a problem. Alternating between Ibuprofin and percocet. The compression garment is open at bottom for easy bathroom access. Brilliant.

Will share picts in a few days.
I'm glad to hear that you are doing so well and able to sleep at night. Will you be going back to work any time soon? One week, two weeks, how much time do you think you need off to recover? Will be looking forward to your after pictures when you are up to it. Take care.
Hi Leslianne, I posted my one week post picts.

Have you been for your consult? If u get a consensus that a mini is best for u, def. bring a bikini w you (one that's low) and make sure they're confident they can put the scar where u want it. Maybe show picts from the Real Self site as examples and point out what u like/dislike. Look at their picts/work too.

I def. saved a grand or two by having this done at the office. Did not experience the nausea that goes w anastesia...... Feel free to ask any questions.........Best of luck!
I called to get a consultation with one doctor that I use to know many years back through some mutual friends. I can't get in to see him until June. However, if I do decide to go with him, they can get me in for the surgery within two weeks of my appt. I called another doctor today. He is the one I was originally going to see. I made an appt. with his office for April 12th. That is only to have pictures taken though. I'm not sure how long it will take to see the actual Dr. or to get the procedure done. I think I'm still a long way out before I have a flat tummy. : ) Thank you for all the good tips though. I'm sure they will come in handy. Leslie