Thighs, Knees, Flanks & Stomach - Waterloo, Ontario

I've wanted this for ages but held back due to the...

I've wanted this for ages but held back due to the cost. I actually consulted with Dr. Shenker back in 2009 about having my knees done, and intended to go through with it, but I ended up leaving my job and going back to school, so no money to pay for it.

I'm paying for this with the remnants of my student loan - definitely not something a financial guru would approve of, but I'll deal with it. I figure that I'd either have to spend time saving up for it or spend time paying it back...and I'd rather have the results DURING the time it takes me to pay it back, rather than look the same for the amount of time it would take me to save.

I'm 5'5", 140 lbs. I actually weigh about 20 lbs more than I did two years ago but pretty much the same - that's muscle weight for you!

Basically, I'm hoping that liposuction will give me the body contours that I've been longing for. I work out a lot but I've never had any success in slimming down to my "ideal shape", despite years of calorie counting/restriction etc. Also, when I lose weight the "natural" way, it always comes off my chest first - exactly where I don't want to lose it from!

I'm not nervous about the surgery - my only fear is that I will spend all of this money and not get the results I'm expecting.

I will update this post with before and after pictures.

**posting some dreadful BEFORE pictures**...

**posting some dreadful BEFORE pictures**

Well, the ones in the blue dress aren't that bad. I'm posting the pics of me in the jeans because those are my "goal" jeans, i.e. I'm hoping/thinking that after lipo I will be able to fit into them nicely. Once I get the surgery done and swelling goes down I will take more pics in the same jeans, and fingers crossed there will be a big difference!
Hey Poppy89 You will look amazing, did mine in Dec and am totally happy. I had to go back to work 2 days after the surgery so it was a tough recovery as I also have to wear a suit where the belt does not really support the even development of the remaining fat. I think most important after the surgery is to ensure you don't create areas where you put more pressure on then others (like a belt did in my case). Still have some love handles left due to this as it seems the remaining fat settles down where it can easiest. It is just very expensive but for sure worth it.
I have the exact same problem! Size 3 with an uncomfortable muffin top. But a size five is loose around my legs and butt, just unflattering overall. I'm saving up for flanks and lower abdominals.... *crosses fingers* Good luck, lady!
Thanks for the good luck wishes! Don't you just hate that damn muffin top? Thank god for surgical advances!

Ugh....I'm still 99% sure I'm going to go through...

Ugh....I'm still 99% sure I'm going to go through with the lipo, but for some reason today I am having a huge panic attack about it. I've been reading articles about that stupid study that said the fat removed in liposuction would just come back elsewhere etc etc. I know that obv you have to maintain a normal eating/exercising lifestyle after lipo to avoid gaining weight (same as you would even without lipo) but I am suddenly terrified of my arms getting even fatter than they are now. I've always carried an odd amount of bulk in my arms and now I'm envisioning looking like a Pillsbury dough boy up there!

I'm also panicking about my normal leg cellulite getting worse....it would be awful to be smaller but have much worse looking skin...

Ughhhhhhh! I don't know why I'm suddenly freaking out today =( I'm feeling all defeatist and worried for some reason.

Still freaking out, but this girl's amazing blog...

Still freaking out, but this girl's amazing blog is making me feel better:
I know just how you feel I am scheduled for next friday and now I am really freaking out, I keep thinking I should just cancel. I am going to try and meet with the Dr again this week to see if I feel any better about going through with this. Its fustrating since I have wanted this for so long!
Have you encountered that website I posted before this? I forgot about it until after I posted my first freaking out update, then I remembered it and hunted around till I found it again. It's a really fabulous blog and she details her whole experience....I'm reading through it again and although I'm still feeling unusually nervous its definitely helping to calm me down a bit. http://lipojourney.blogspot.ca
I will check it out for sure, think I am reading everthing that has been written on lipo lol! Thanks

Surgery is next Thursday. I just made my second...

Surgery is next Thursday. I just made my second payment on my surgery (my credit card limit doesn't go high enough to cover it!).

For some reason the act of actually paying for this makes me feel more nervous/upset. I think I just feel embarrassed that I'm actually doing this. I like Dr. Shenker but I do find his staff just a little bit on the cool side, although I couldn't give any specific examples.

Anyway. Just nervous!
Good luck!! I think you are going to see a huge change seeing as you have a cute body to start :)
Good luck and yes it scared the pants off me and I kept thinking why am I doing this? But it is all I thought about every day my gut. So now 3 months post op I am finally not hurting anymore and 80percent less sensitive. Saw my Doctor in Cancun this week. He said fantastic results and I only have 1cm of fat left. But my stomach muscles are loose so I wont have a flat stomach. I do not want a TT at my age. Recovery will be too long and it was really hard for me. So you will look amazing. He said anyone over 40 has a harder recovery and I agree at over 60 LOL
Hey Girl..fellow Ontario lipo patient here. Jsut wanted to wish you luck. A week before my surgery i had the hguest panic attack ever. i was convinced that there would be no change and that i was a moron to hate myszelf so much that I felt the need to do this. That said, I did the surgery and now, officially 2 weeks over, i am SO happy. Good luck again and keep us posted!

Holy crap! Doctor's office just called and my...

Holy crap! Doctor's office just called and my surgery is TOMORROW, not Thurs!!! Thank god they called to confirm =O! On the negative side, I haven't had a chance to go buy some prep stuff, but on the positive side, this reduces the amount of time I had to worry about it....!
Good luck you will be fine and then it will be over. Its like we wait and wait, get all rattled, excited,scared, happy etc etc. It is such an emotional roller coaster. Rest, take your meds ad prescribed for pain . It is so worth it.
I'm thinking positive thoughts for you! Good luck!
Thanks so much!

DAMN! Just wrote a big long detailed review and...

DAMN! Just wrote a big long detailed review and then accidentally hit the back button on my browser.

Anyway, I made it through. Doctor took out 3000 ccs total - was at the clinic for about 5 hours. Waking up from surgery was pretty bad though - way more pain than I thought. Currently in bed lying on old beach towels. Pain is much better, but mainly because I am not moving!

Has anyone else had a standing prep? I haven't heard anyone mention it on here so I thought I'd give a quick description. The one I JUST WROTE was great, but as I said - stupid browser!

Basically, a standing prep involves standing basically naked in the OR while the nurses either spray you or swab you down with either iodine or an alcohol based solution. Mine was alcohol - it was bright pink! Generally speaking they will limit the amount of people in the room so you, as the patient, are as comfortable as possible. For me, there were only two nurses in the room. Needless to say, it's a bit embarrassing. One of the nurses, Ange, held my robe sort of bunched up behind me to cover my boobs and make me feel a little better, but obviously no underwear =S Once they're done you have to get onto the OR bed without touching it with your hands to keep the sheets sterile - basically just sitting down and swinging your legs up.

So anyway - if your doc tells you you're getting a standing prep, that's what it is! It's probably worth it to ask your doctor in advance of your surgery if that's what he's planning, as that way you'll at least be prepared.
So glad it went well! Was thinking positive vibes for you today!

Still in a fair bit of pain, however I don't find...

Still in a fair bit of pain, however I don't find it as bad at the bone pain I've had from previous foot surgeries. I've been taking Percocet regularly, as well as some Lyrica/ ibuprofen etc. Swelling is definitely increasing - my feet look like little sausages!

I haven't showered yet, as just the thought of taking off my garment and then getting it back on again practically makes me tear up in anticipatory pain! Maybe tomorrow.

How did the rest of you manage with massages? My doctor wants me to start self-massaging ASAP, and also book a lymphatic massage. Right now the thought of massaging myself, or having someone else do it, is AWFUL! My skin hurts way too much.
Thanks for the warning about the standing prep. Must have been awkward. Wonder if I will have to do that..I'm excited to see your results I bet you will look great once all swelling is gone! Stay well!
Yeah, I'd never heard about it either! Luckily my mum has worked as a nurse for years, including in cosmetic surgery operations, so she was able to give me a heads up on what to expect. I would've been so much more uncomfortable if I'd walked in blindfold, so to speak! I'm also super excited to see my results. I can tell that swelling is increasing, so I'm going to keep taking it easy for a while, but on the very first day, before the swelling had really had a chance to start, I could feel some big changes on my body!!!
Looking forward to ur after pics

Ugh, so my recovery is being plagued by one little...

Ugh, so my recovery is being plagued by one little thing - I'm having a really hard time peeing! Basically it's like I just don't have anything in my bladder, but I definitely do. Sorry for the TMI, but after all this site is where we all go to get the nitty gritty of other people's experiences!

I'm really worried that I've got urinary retention and will end up needing a catheter (basically worried about the embarrassment/discomfort factor). I've told my doctor (who is really great - super attentive!) and he said to give it another 24 hours, but to keep checking in with him.
You look really good! Congrats on such nice results :)
There is a medication doctor can order if he feels its necessary...its Flomax.... ask him about it.....good luck...
I had my friend come over to help me shower on day 4 I was so scared but it wasn't as bad as I thought. Does your binder have clips and zippers? If so its not too bad getting it back on but I think it really takes 2 people. I didn't look at myself when I showered I was afraid of what I would see lol I think I finally looked at day 5 or 6 and it was better than I thought! Start with light massage like a tickle it won't hurt and actually felt good. After about a week I started doing the circles with an open palm and just incresed pressure as I could. I am going to get a real massage this weekend :)

Finally got a bath today! It didn't go very well,...

Finally got a bath today! It didn't go very well, but at least now I feel clean and refreshed.

I was going to try having a shower this morning, so I took a Percocet about an hour before. My mum turned on the water but unfortunately I got really nauseous and light-headed and ended up throwing up before I could get in. I hadn't been taking the Percocet regularly but I've decided to stop taking it completely - I have a fairly high degree of pain but the Percocet is obviously too strong for my system. I'm going to stick to Lyrica/ibuprofen/tylenol.

Anyway, luckily my mum is a nurse and is used to all this stuff, so I ended up sitting in the tub (but didn't fill it, as the incisions shouldn't sit in water) while she washed my hair for me. By the end I was feeling okay enough to shave the bottom half of my legs - priorities, right? lol. She also washed my garment and sheets. I feel so much better now that I'm clean, but I really hate the process of getting the garment on and off!

Swelling is increasing - particularly noticeable in my stomach.

It's amazing how much surgery makes you appreciate just having your normal everyday body, slim or not! I can't wait to be back to no pain and no swelling and no limping around like I'm 84! =D
Awe your mom sounds sweet! It will get better before you know it!! After day 4-5 you shouldn't be as hunched over.
So good to know!!! My dad doesn't know that I got the surgery, so whenever he's around I have to stay in one place so he doesn't see me limping around - its hard! P.S. your results are looking AWESOME!!!
Glad to hear you have a good mum to take care of you!!! I fell better today less discomfort - maybe taking the turn the big heal. When I showered last night i did not look at myself too closely to see the bruising- just wanted to get it done. Will try again tomorrow when I shower and was my cg...I have no leaking though-do you?? Mine is different though as I only had hips and thighs...best wishes...

Just wanted to update specifically about my doctor...

Just wanted to update specifically about my doctor and experience at the clinic, for those in the area.

I am VERY happy that I chose Dr. Shenker. It's possible that he's a bit more expensive than some other surgeons, but I firmly believe he (and his clinic) was worth EVERY PENNY. I'd commented before, during one of my panic sessions, that I wished his reception staff was a little friendlier-sounding on the phone, but really that's a very minor complaint in comparison to the excellence of the care and concern that I have experienced overall. The three nurses that cared for me pre-op and post-op (I believe it was Linda, Ange and Emily) were incredibly sweet and made me as comfortable as possible. Dr. Nicholas, the aenaesthesiologist, is both highly competent and very comforting. Dr. Shenker, my PS, was just excellent in every way. I really feel like he is a surgeon who has the best interests of his patients at heart. The ideal plastic surgeon should be a perfectionist, and really engage in a dialogue with the patient about what is achievable/rational/desirable in their results and chosen procedures. I feel that Dr. Shenker does this admirably. He also communicated regularly with me post-surgery about how I was doing. The first night I missed his call and the call-back number wouldn't connect. Instead of just brushing it off and moving on to his next client, he then tried emailing me, Ange (one of the nurses) both emailed AND facebook messaged my mother, and they called all the other numbers associated with me. THAT is an example of true concern for your patients!

Also, his clinic is really amazing. It's located in a beautiful old house but it has been modernized tastefully and his surgery and recovery rooms are top-notch.

In sum, I wholeheartedly recommend Dr. Shenker and the Cosmetic Surgery Clinic to any of you in the area who may be considering him.
So I am getting my abdomen and my arms done on a Thursday. I am going back to work on Saturday the same week. Do you think I will be okay? I cant afford to take more days off and my family doenst know I am getting lipo done so I rather work than be at home. How was the level of pain in the first few days?
I really think your doctor will advise you to stay home one week after surgery. If you try and return 2 days post surgery you will be very uncomfortable and will swell and bruise slot, may even induce bleeding. You won't be able to take your pain medicine and drive or barely stand.. What kind of work do u do??? You could tell your family you have the flu, a little fib is worth your not collapsing at work or making your surgery more like torture.. Think about taking care of yourself and stay home so your healing happens. Good luck Angelfzce
I work at a call centre so ill be sitting for 8 hours. My doctor said 2 to 3 days of rest should be fine.

Adding some pictures. I'm not going to call these...

Adding some pictures. I'm not going to call these "after" pictures yet, as I'm still only 9 days post-op. However, yesterday was the first day that I felt that parts of me really did look different. The place that I see it the most is actually in the front of my thighs - they are so much flatter and I think fit my pants better. (NB: I'm wearing 4 inch heels in the black jeans picture....my legs are actually really short - 28" inseam!)

When I feel like my swelling has really gone down (it's still pretty noticeable in my knees and stomach) I will post proper "after" pictures just wearing underwear, so you can see.
The front of your legs look awesome and your tummy is looking great already!
Thanks!! Are you still on the roller-coaster re: feeling good and then bad about results? I'm trying to reserve judgment on mine, especially as it's still so early. They say 3 months to see most of your results.
I'm hapier now then last week. The same week of my surgery i also started the pill, and i stopped working out and i swear it all messed with my head somehow! Now everything is becoming ormal and I'm content with how I look. I have my 6 week follow up next week. will keep posted.

Progress photos (crappy quality, sorry!)

Added a couple photos just to update on progress. Sorry they're so small/blurry. When I'm closer to 2 months post-op I will take proper ones.
I am 10 days post op and had Dr. Shenker as my PS. Am curious to know how you are doing? Swelling? Soreness? Did you get the results expected? I, like you, was impressed by Dr. Shenker and his team.
Not sure how much you were swollen but when did you notice the swelling on your tummy go away? My tummy is really swollen n soft..how long will it take for it to be tightened n hard? Your last pics look great how many days has it been?
Probably a least a month or more. Mine is still swollen, particularly my lower ab area. It's been three weeks. Generally speaking, the swelling doesn't just disappear. You'll probably notice it looking best first thing in the morning when you wake up, but after a day of activity/eating/working out it will be puffy again. Just give it time. The way I view it is - rationally, I KNOW that a lot of the fat in that area was removed. So even if I get discouraged when there's swelling and I can't see the change, I remind myself that the change is still there, it's just not visible YET. The best thing you can do is eat well, drink water and (once you feel up to it) exercise, and just not obsess about it. The results will eventually be visible, and every day that you eat well and exercise just gets you even farther =)

Results Update - 1 year later

I wanted to show you guys some updated pictures - these were taken in March 2014, a year after my lipo surgery. Obviously I've been watching what I'm eating and so on, but I think you can tell what effect lipo has.

To be honest, comparing the before and after pictures makes me feel better. You get used to having the body you HAVE, and you forget how you've changed. I'm just as able to find flaws in myself now as back then, but I think I have to say that objectively speaking at least my body looks better.

Full disclosure - am fake tanned in the most recent pics, which might make me look better than I really do! However, I'm also wearing the same size and style of underwear, so that may give some sense of proportion.

Just thought - could've arranged pictures better for a B&A shot

Before & after in sequence
your results are astounding. Beautiful transformation.
Thank you!
Unbelievable GREAT results
Waterloo Plastic Surgeon

Great doctor, beautiful clinic and nice staff. The night after my morning surgery they made sure to contact me to see if I was feeling okay or had any questions. Too early to tell results, but I feel good and I'm very happy I chose Dr. Shenker!