Tucked and THRILLED! TT with Muscle Repair and Hernia Repair- 1/16/12 - Washington, DC

I am 40 and the mother of 3 awesome children (ages...

I am 40 and the mother of 3 awesome children (ages 9, 7, and almost 3). I have wanted a TT since the birth of my 2nd child. So glad I waited because along came baby #3! LOL Anyway, my stomach was completely altered by my pregnancies. I'm 5'8" and have always been quite thin. I gained 75 pounds during my 1st pregnancy and delivered a 10 pound baby. My skin is evidently not elastic at all because it has hanged ever since!! Last fall I was diagnosed with an umbilical hernia that was bad enough that it couldn't be repaired laproscopically. So, we figured now was the time to do the TT along with the hernia repair.

I was very nervous in the days just before surgery...

I was very nervous in the days just before surgery. I kept worrying about the what ifs, my kids, the money, etc. Mostly I was scared about something going wrong. It was so difficult tucking my kids into bed the night before surgery.

We left at 5:30 to make it to the surgery center by 6:30. Once there things moved quickly. I changed into the paper gown and cap, nurse started my IV, the anesthesiologist came in to talk, then my surgeon came in. He marked me with the blue marker, both laying down and standing up. Then I kissed my hubby and was wheeled off to the OR. I remember rolling in and commenting on how cold it was. Next thing I remember I was waking up to my husband stroking my hair. The surgery took 3 hours. We were on our way home by just after noon time.

I don't remember much about the rest of the day. I slept a lot and was not in much pain at all. I slept through the night, too, only waking once to pee. It was a very easy day.

Day 1 Post-op-

Today was not that bad. I stayed on top of my pain meds, walked around a few times, even sat downstairs in the recliner for a couple of hours, hanging out with my mom and sis. My appetite was normal. I struggled to walk very well and awas definitely very hunched over. No BM today!

Day 3 Post-op-

First post-op appt with PS. I was shocked at my belly. The incision is pretty gruesome. The belly button was bloody and crusted over so I have no idea how it will turn out. I also have 4 "tacks", 2 on either side of the belly button. The PS says they are where he tacked my skin down to the tissue underneath to decrease the open area where fluid can build up. He says the stitches will dissolve and the skin will pop back up in those places. I sure hope so! Maybe that's why my drains have not been putting out as much fluid ass others I've read. Anyway, the visit wore me out and I had woken up with a killer headache. By the time I got home I was so wiped out that I slept for 5 hours. Definitely the toughest day so far.....

Day 4 Post-op-

A BM this morning- YAY!! LOL Finally seem to be getting rid of that pesky headache. I have only taken Tylenol today, so I guess I'm officially off the pain meds. Today has been a pretty good day. I'm still easily fatigued, but the pain isn't bad at all. I'm just praying this is all worth it and my belly, BB, and incision sites heal well. Guess I'm a bit worried after what I saw at the appt. yesterday....

Day 12 PO- A lot has happened since Day 4 PO. ...

Day 12 PO-

A lot has happened since Day 4 PO. I think the hardest part has been the fatigue... and the back pain from walking hunched over. Up until about day 8 PO, I just couldn't be upright for more than an hour before I had to lay down. Very frustrating. But the second I laid down I'd be fine. The gravity of standing just constantly wore me down. BUT- here I am now and I'm feeling SO MUCH BETTER!! I had my first drain removed at 8 days PO. My PS also removed my belly button stitches at that time. It felt great to get rid of at least one! Then on Day 10 PO the other drain was removed. I think it was a huge psychological boost to finally be rid of all of the "extras", because I have felt a lot better since.

As for how I look, I'm becoming happier and happier. I guess I wasn't prepared for how kind of shocking all of the incisions would be. I'm not particularly squeamish, and I'd looked at tons of pics on here before my TT, but somehow it was different to look down and see it on my tummy. None of my kids were C-sections. I've never had a huge incision. In addition to the horizontal incision, I also have a short vertical incision coming up from the horizontal one about 1 1/2 ". My PS told me ahead of time that I'd have that due to my long torso and the fact that I had very little loose skin above my BB. Finally, I have the 4 "tacks". I wasn't told about those pre-op so wasn't prepared to see them. All of this together, in addition to the BB, was quite shocking at first.

Now that I'm used to all of that, and things are healing, I'm beginning to see the big picture and how I will look (or hope I look) down the line. I'm pretty happy at this point. My focus now seems to be on the dreaded "swell hell". I'm particularly swollen around the incision and upper vaginal area. It's as though I have a thin intertube around me! Hoping that dissipates with time....

Feb 6, 2012- Today I am 3 weeks PO, and I'm...

Feb 6, 2012-

Today I am 3 weeks PO, and I'm amazed at how the body recovers. It is unbelievable to me that I could have had such major surgery 21 days ago and be feeling as well as I am now. I would do it all again in a heartbeat, even though I'm not quite 100% satisfied yet. But I still am healing so I know I have to be patient! At this point I'm thrilled with how I look in clothes! So much fun to wear things that cling to me and not have to worry about it. In fact, I've been digging in my drawers to find the clingiest stuff so I can see my new shape :-) So fun.

Naked, however, is a different story. I still have lots of swelling in the lower ab/pubic area. I also have 4 tacks that are still visible. And the vertical incision seems to be causing puckering up to my BB, which makes it look as though I have a line all the way up to my BB. It's a bummer because my horizontal incision is low and easily concealed, but all of this other stuff is visible above my bikini line. I have an appt. with my PS tomorrow and will ask about all of this. I'm posting some 3 week PO pics :-)

Thank you so much for your story. I am a mommy of 3 kids ages 9, 8, & 4 and am scheduled for TT surgery July 30th. I have been freaking out and so nervous. I have anxiety about the procedure, pain, recovery and about the possible effect it will have on my my kids/family. Luckily I have really supportive friends, husband, and parents who are willing to help. This site is fantastic as it sounds like most other people are going throught the same feelings and emotions as I am. I hope it all goes well. I am trying to stay calm while I wait.....
I think you should have MILF tattooed. You look fantastic, men will be tripping over themselves this summer;-)
Ha Ha HA!! mm, your comment made me laugh! Thank you!! You made my day :-)
Katma, WOW, you look fantastic!!!! You're so lucky to have such a long torso, I'm so short waisted! Lol! You are tiny, I can't wait to see your final result!!!
Thanks, Sassy! You are so sweet. And congratulations to you on your easy recovery and great results so far. You are looking great, too! It has been so nice having all of you gals to "talk" to through this process :-)
love your 3 week pics. You look so great!! Makes me want to go out and buy some of that style undies...very flattering! What is that style called? I am going to post some pics tomorrow in some undies/bra to show how things are looking when you can't see all my incisions. I, too, am loving going through my closet/drawers to find more form-fitting clothes. I basically have to start over. Went from a size 12/14 last January to 6-8 just before surgery. Not sure where I will be after swelling subsides and I know I am still losing some weight based on what I am eating. Most of my clothes look baggy and ridiculous. Thank goodness I did save some of my old size 6 stuff I wore before I got pregnant with my twins 14 years ago. Maybe a bit out of style, but at least they fit. I guess it's a great problem to have, but I need to take it slow or I will run up a huge credit card bill, lol!!! Glad to hear you sounding so happy and looking wonderful. By the way...I can barely see your vertical scar in pics. So happy I could help with the cg recommendations :-)))
Thank you so much, tt! I looked at the undies I'm wearing in the latest pics, and they are Maidenform. I think I remember getting them at Macy's?? It has been a while. They are very comfortable even though they are lacy. I have some pale pink ones, too :-)

You should be so proud, to go from a 12/14 to a 6/8. And you are looking incredible!! Congratulations! BTW I know what you mean about the credit card bill. It is going to be tough to be good! LOL
Hi Katma ~ Like you, I had the vertical scar from my old belly button. This was combined with a stretch mark up to the belly button that made it look like a 3" scar instead of the 1" it actually was :0/

I'm happy to say that 10 months post-op, I have had a revision and the vertical has been completely eliminated. It's only been 3 days so I'll post pics as soon as I get this tape off in 2 more weeks.

You look great!
Thank you so much for your comment! That makes me feel sooo much better. My PS mentioned doing a revision to eliminate the vertical scar at a later date, but I couldn't wrap my head around how that would work. LOL Would absolutely love to see your pics when you're able to share. Did you have a local anesthetic for the procedure? Congratulations on your revision!
No Katma, I had a general. In order to pull it down enough to eliminate the vertical, they'd have to use too much lidocaine and he said the amount would be too toxic. It was a piece of cake...one hour from start to finish!
Looking good Katma!
Thanks so much, Upper!
Katma, you are looking great...wondering if you got those new garments through Contemporary Design yet, and if so...how do you like them? I really like the zipper one for nighttime. I feel so secure in it and although it's a bit of a pain to get on, easier when you get the hang of it. I love how easy it is to pee in the middle of the night...I do undo the velcro just to be sure I don't pee on it...but in the beginning I did not when I was so sore right after surgery. Still liking my stage 2, just wishing i had gotten a smaller size. It does slip down a bit at the top as the day wears on, but like it better than my spanx. Just curious if they arrived yet and how and how you like them. Hope you are doing well...you look great!!
Just sent you a PM before seeing this comment. I LOVE them! Thanks so much for the recommendation :-) It was amazing because I ordered them one morning, and they arrived at my door the very next morning. Instant gratification! LOL They fit so well and don't itch at all. I, too, love the Stage 2 much more than Spanx. Feels more secure and smooth. I really love the Stage 1 for night time... better than the binder because it stays put, you know? So thanks again for your help!
Katma, you look great and there is definitely a contoured waistline, which adds to your great results. I think some of my vertical scar still remains also. I am also in the DMV area, if you don't mind sharing, who was your PS?
Wow you look great! I have the short vertical scar as well -- my ps had hoped there would be enough skin to get it all down to the horizontal incision, but apparently that didn't happen. I'm still very happy with my results. Your stomach looks great, once you're all healed you're going to be so pleased -- I'm totally jealous of your long torso, I'm a shorty lol.
Katma, you look fantastic. I don't think that verticle scar is a big deal at all. When it heals, you will barely see it anyway and they kept everything nice and low. Your belly looks so flatnand your look just terrific. You should be thrilled!! Congrats!
Katma you look amazing!! I also had the small vertical incision- but no 'tacks'-still waiting for steri-strips to fall off incision-they're very close-I'm 5 1/2 weeks out & had sutures out at 2 wks. & steri-strips put on-the bb steri-strips came off after a couple of weeks, but these must have been cemented on LOL! Anyway, you sure do look great!! Congrats! :)
Would love to see your pictures, Katma. :-)
I'm going to finally post pics this eve, Maumee. I am not the sharpest tool in the tech drawer, so I tend to avoid it. But I know how nice it has been to see everyone and their pics, etc., so I'll post mine. Stay tuned :-)