Anxiety and Depression After Tummy Tuck - Washington DC, DC

Real self.com Washington I had my tummy tuck...

Real self.com Washington

I had my tummy tuck last Tuesday. Even though I was somewhat anxious I figured if so many people have done it and come out of it being happy about their decision- then there was nothing for me to worry about. To tell you the truth I was more afraid of the possibility of death part that concerned me the most. I was thinking to myself what will happen to my 3 kids if I died from this surgery. But the probability was so low and all my research indicated that most of the death related to tt were as a result of incompetent doctors and anesthesiologists.

I did my homework, chose the right the right doctor with the right credentials, affiliated with one of the best hospitals in our area. I prepared for everything. I got my surgery and came home. First 3 days of recovery were fantastic. Was joking with my husband about how he will not recognize me after my recovery. Actually, on the second day, I went downstairs and helped clean up the kitchen and prepared food for my kids, even managed to get some stuff done for my work -Same thing the following day. After that, I started feeling down and something closing down on me. I had stopped the Percocet that was prescribed on day 3 and was just taking Tylenol for pain as needed.

The depression, the anxiety, and the shortness of breath associated with it was overwhelming. My back was aching from either sleeping on it or sitting. To top it all of I was feeling chills and weakness, and loss of appetite coupled with gagging effects when I tried to eat. I was crying and regretting my decision and longing for my old self of just less than a week ago.

My doctor and the girls at the office have reassured me that it will be ok and that it is expected to have some emotional ups and downs. They said it is different from person to person and that with time I will be ok.
Last night, I slept a little better that the last few days. Even thought it was a little painful, I kind of turned to my side (with the help of numerous pillows lol) and that seem to somewhat help. I was still anxious this morning and cried a little, I push myself to get out of the house and drop of my kids to school.

Afterwards, my husband took me to my doctors office to have one of my drain pulled out. It was kind of painful but not as bad as I thought. Compared to yesterday and the last few days, My anxiety and depression level so far is a 5 on a scale of 1-10 whereas the last few days it was anywhere between 7 and 10.

I am forcing myself to drink a lot and nourish my body as much as I can. I am hoping that it will go away soon. One thing if for sure, I have deeper understanding for people who suffer from anxiety and depression on a regular basis. I pray to God that mine is temporary.

Talk to you soon… please let me if you had or are experiencing similar symptoms… looking forward to your advice

Do the drains have to be totally dry or is there...

Do the drains have to be totally dry or is there an acceptable amount of fluid collection before it is safe to remove drains?

skillfull and available for questions and concerns

I was relieved when I found this post. 3 days after my TT, I just had feelings of wanting to cry. I never cry. I feel overwhelmed. I will definitely talk to my family about this.
I too had similar feelings about day 5-8 of my recovery. On day 8-9 the light switched and I was feeling "alive" again. Boy were those days low. Hope everyone can make it thru those rough days and know it will get better because when you are in them you feel stuck and hopeless. Talk to your family and friends.
I'm sorry to hear this and am worried about the same thing. I feel like we want the instant gratification in feeling like we will look amazing right away. It is not a quick fix. I saw my mom recovery and it took almost three months for her to even walk upright. I appreciate everyone sharing this so I am more prepared. I agree with others that surgery is traumatic and healing is not just physical, it's emotional too. I hope you are feeling better. If your symptoms persist. I would definitely talk to your doctor about maybe taking an antidepressant or anti anxiety medication to get you through the emotional ups and downs until your physically more comfortable. I know for me, I look at my stomach and as much as I loath my extra skin, I am generally concerned that I'm trading in my extra skin for an unfavorable scar. I am worried that while my self esteem is affected by how my tummy looks, I'll be equally dissatisfied with a possible unfavorable scar. As for physically, are you happy with the results?!
I had a full TT with lipo and fat transfer to my breasts on Aug 3rd, almost 4 weeks ago.
I was in the operating room an hour and a half longer than was planned, which completely freaked my family out but everything went well; I chose a doctor who likes to take his time and make everything as pretty as he can make it, hence the extra time.
I am so glad to see these posts, it makes me feel a lot better to know that I'm going crazy. For the past week I have been so down and depressed I can barely stand it. My doctor said I might feel some depression post-op but I didn't expect anything like this. Ugh! It's very comforting to know that I'm not alone.
I understand what u went thru and im sorry.... I had my TT, breast augmentation and lipo about a month ago, everything was going fine until a week later, i started feeling really sad for no reason. I have enxiety, nothing makes me happy, im in a bad mood. Doctor told me this is temporaly!.. ARE U FEELING BETTER NOW? HOW LONG DID U HAD TO WAIT TO FEEL LIKE YOURSELF AGAIN? WHAT ADVISE FO U GIVE ME? take care God bless u!...
I had a TT and chin implant on July 7. The first week was uncomfortable but I didnt have to drink any heavy meds for the pain. A week later I got this wierd head rush/dizziness followed by tingling sensation on both arms. Well went to every doctor but all test came back negative. Still felt that lightheadiness/ foggy feeling in my head. Got into a major depression and still in it. Went from being an active go get them person to basically nothing. Last resort went to a chiropractor where xrays reveled by cervical spine is messed up and is slightly misaligned. I have done two adjustments but still feel the same. Was told that aligning the spine takes time. Im crying all the time several times a day.
Emylou....sounds like you are actually having anxiety/panic attack disorder. It causes very physical symptoms (i.e. dizziness, tingling in arms and legs, and depression). I am very familiar with it because my grown daughter suffers from this and it has been quite dibilitating because of the physical symptoms. Zanax seems to help, and maybe it would help you feel better. Of course I could be completely wrong, but seems to fit your symptoms.
Oh, and one more thing Emylou....when you have a panic attack it causes your adrenaline to go into overload and causes the head rush you described. Hope this helps.
I hope you are feeling better and that all is back to normal. So sorry to hear you had a tough time. Take care..... :-)
Thank you...
Thank you.

I am doing pretty good not in a lot pain just a little uncomfortable
So glad you did o.k. with your surgery, and hope you continue to improve with each day.
I am happy to hear everything went well. Take it easy...
Thank you.

I will keep you updated on my progress after the surgery.

Sharon

Sounds good :)

I am thinking about you and just know you will do great!

Hugs
My post-op went well. The doctor sat down with me and explained everything that would take place on next Friday.

I will let you know how the procedure goes next week. Thank you so much....

All I kept thinking about was what you told me....."everything thing is temporary and it all ends"..... Thank you

Glad to hear it went well :)  Yep you just keep thinking about what I said and know you will get through it.  We will all be here to help you.
Oh my God.... I am having my tummy tuck procedure next Friday... Now I want to change my mind.....Is it worst the pain? Please, someone give me some positive feedback... But the true is the true, so I guess I want the true...

Hey Sharon,

Yes it hurts, you swell, ache and feel wiped out for a while but it is all worth it.

The first week is the worst but stay medicated, rest and drink your fluids and you will be fine.

Don't cancel out of fear or you will regret it.  Just know that everything is temporary and it all ends.  You will then have a nice flat tummy.  Go for it!!  If you birthed children you can do this.
Thank you for telling me the true about the pain and for the kind words.

I am going to get up now and go to my Post-Op appointment. Wish me luck...

Hi Sharon,

So how did the appointment go??  I am anxious to hear all about it.
Sharon...Hey neighbor....I live in Acworth, GA. I am here to give you the positive side to this surgery. I had a tummy tuck and muscle repair Feb. 10. I had read so many stories that I almost backed out at the last minute, but I have to tell you it wasn't any where near as bad as i thought. I would prepare for the 2nd through the 4th day, as they are the most uncomfortable, but after that you will be shocked at how fast you are up and around. By day 7 I wias going out to dinner and to target for short shopping trips drains and all. My dr. had me start standing straight day 6 and told me to get up and around as much as possible to promote the circulation and healing. It really worked. The fear of this is much worse than the actual procedure. My best advise is just to prepare a good recovery area, give the family instructions and sit back a relax until your surgery date. I have pics up of 1 week after my surgery if you want to see that it's not that bad.
Thank you.

I would love to see the pictures of you. My big day is tomorrow,so I really needed to hear from you with the positive feed back tonight.
Hey....You will do great. Best of luck tomorrow and I will be thinking about you. It will be over before you know it.