Anxiety and Depression After Tummy Tuck - Washington DC, DC

Real self.com Washington I had my tummy tuck...

Real self.com Washington

I had my tummy tuck last Tuesday. Even though I was somewhat anxious I figured if so many people have done it and come out of it being happy about their decision- then there was nothing for me to worry about. To tell you the truth I was more afraid of the possibility of death part that concerned me the most. I was thinking to myself what will happen to my 3 kids if I died from this surgery. But the probability was so low and all my research indicated that most of the death related to tt were as a result of incompetent doctors and anesthesiologists.

I did my homework, chose the right the right doctor with the right credentials, affiliated with one of the best hospitals in our area. I prepared for everything. I got my surgery and came home. First 3 days of recovery were fantastic. Was joking with my husband about how he will not recognize me after my recovery. Actually, on the second day, I went downstairs and helped clean up the kitchen and prepared food for my kids, even managed to get some stuff done for my work -Same thing the following day. After that, I started feeling down and something closing down on me. I had stopped the Percocet that was prescribed on day 3 and was just taking Tylenol for pain as needed.

The depression, the anxiety, and the shortness of breath associated with it was overwhelming. My back was aching from either sleeping on it or sitting. To top it all of I was feeling chills and weakness, and loss of appetite coupled with gagging effects when I tried to eat. I was crying and regretting my decision and longing for my old self of just less than a week ago.

My doctor and the girls at the office have reassured me that it will be ok and that it is expected to have some emotional ups and downs. They said it is different from person to person and that with time I will be ok.
Last night, I slept a little better that the last few days. Even thought it was a little painful, I kind of turned to my side (with the help of numerous pillows lol) and that seem to somewhat help. I was still anxious this morning and cried a little, I push myself to get out of the house and drop of my kids to school.

Afterwards, my husband took me to my doctors office to have one of my drain pulled out. It was kind of painful but not as bad as I thought. Compared to yesterday and the last few days, My anxiety and depression level so far is a 5 on a scale of 1-10 whereas the last few days it was anywhere between 7 and 10.

I am forcing myself to drink a lot and nourish my body as much as I can. I am hoping that it will go away soon. One thing if for sure, I have deeper understanding for people who suffer from anxiety and depression on a regular basis. I pray to God that mine is temporary.

Talk to you soon… please let me if you had or are experiencing similar symptoms… looking forward to your advice

Im so sorry. I hope you are feeling better. You do need time to heal or everything can be overwhelming dealing with this. Make sure your family realizes how important your recovery is and that it will take a while. Did you ask about anti-anxiety medication? I was prescribed valium along with pain meds and it really, really helped calm me down. I am a stomach sleeper and wasn't able to for weeks and that tight feeling of your muscles being back in place can be a little scary. Ask if your dr. can give you something temporary for anxiety. It will pass. I know I am 3 months post op and still have some periods of depression or sadness. I am thrilled with the results just sometimes have my moments. Take care of yourself!! (Hugs)Jody
Thanks! I think getting out of the house helps. I feel much better today. It sure was a scary feeling!

It is all part of the healing process but it will come to an end.  If you feel like crying just go ahead and have a good cry.  It is a really hard process to recover from and just takes time.

Your body has been through a war and is just kicking you back a little bit.  Try to get out of the house and be with friends if possible.  Being all cooped up at home doesn't help one bit.

You are so early in this process and in just a couple of weeks you will notice a difference.

Hang in there :)

Hugs!

Do the drains have to be totally dry or is there...

Do the drains have to be totally dry or is there an acceptable amount of fluid collection before it is safe to remove drains?

Its my 10th day after my TT and liposuction and muscle tightening. I am very tired. My moods go up and down and i still feel lots of anxiety. Very hard to focus on anything. Mentally i feel very raw and vulnerable. Its been surprising how long it actually takes to recover from this. I am still afraid to drive my car so i am not driving. I still don't cook my kids cook and try to help me. I sleep as much as i can. I do walk around for the exercise but i get tired very soon. My tummy looks good and i know this is what i wanted but still.....this is a long road i took. If there is anybody who is second guessing this please don't. Trust your doctor and go for it. I did cancel my appointment once but then i went through the fear and hear i am happy with my new tummy. But still need to take care of myself and let myself heal properly....every day i am closer to being me again....
I was relieved when I found this post. 3 days after my TT, I just had feelings of wanting to cry. I never cry. I feel overwhelmed. I will definitely talk to my family about this.
Definitely! I am 8 days post TT and can't stop crying. I don't ever cry either. I tried to talk to my husband about the possibility of this beforehand but I don't think he understood. When you always have it together, you figure it won't happen to you. I remember kind of skipping over the "possibility of depression" part. This forum is super helpful, as is other info I've found online. It's just good to not feel alone since your family can't really understand. And I couldn't stop crying long enough to call the Dr's office. I can smile now, but it's really cruddy. But I know it will pass.

skillfull and available for questions and concerns