Post Smartxide Less Than 36 Hours Ago - Waltham, MA

I am 53 but look 30's. I had very good, light...

I am 53 but look 30's. I had very good, light skin. Was starting to see a little sagging and wanted to remove fine lines around eyes and on forhead.

I am entering my third day post treatment.  All is going as described by P.A. that administered treatment. She was excellent, by the way.  Skilled, knowledgable and professional.  I felt very safe with her.

Anticipation was the biggest problem for me because I had nice skin going into this and was afraid that the procedure would change my complexion.  Still worried.  I can say that the wrinkles around my eyes are gone.  I had a skin tag on the side of my nose that is gone.  My skin is also tight.

The procedure was much less painful than I imagined.  I was most sensitive around my lips and eyes.  I thought the the worse was the hour after the procedure.  My face was so hot it scared me, but the pain was gone in about an hour.  No pain after that.
I did not require any pain medication except for the gel that they use before the treatment.  They left it on over an hour which probably helped alleviate the pain during the procedure.

I am now around 56 hours post procedure and am still quite red.  The redness has faded quite a bit though.  It first started to fade on my forehead and is working its way down to my neck.

I did have quite a bit of swelling on my cheeks.  That has gone down and I have developed some swelling between my eyes and nose.  Not sure if is due to an infection of the tear ducts or just a standard swelling.  No signs of an infection such as redness or pus.
I did have a lot of oozing of blood and liquid in the first 24 hours but that is all gone.

My provider was smart to put me on an Antiviral drug 4 days before treatment and 3 days post. Even if you do not have cold sores you must take this medication!  This is very important! She also had me on an antihistamine before treatment and then post treatment.  I am still taking 50 mg of Benedryl twice a day.  As soon as swelling goes down, I will stop.

I started to itch last night and it was very uncomfortable.  I decided to soak my face in the vinegar solution and then wash it.  I removed a lot of flaked off skin.  After that, the itching stopped.  The dead skin was causing the itching!

I did get some of those white dots, which look like giant pimples. Mostly on my chin. They tend to wash away.  I don't think that they are infections because they are not painful and there is no redness present.  I think that they are part of the procedure and may have a lot to do with the occlusive ointment.

The most important things that I have learned so far are:
1.Do not panic!
2.Take an antiviral!
3.If you are prone to acne and breakouts, take an antibiotic!
4.Keep you skin moist with the Eucerine for at least 4 days. Plaster it on.  Do not let the skin dry out!
5.Wash your face 3 times a day with the Cetaphil.
6.Buy an antibacterial handsoap and use it often AND ALWAYS before you touch your face during the washing sessions.
7.Definately use the vinegar soaks. Use sterile gauze with the soaks.  The soaks are soothing and will help to keep your skin sterilized.
8. Eat healthy foods to strengthen your immune system and take vitamins such as E and C.  I have been eating lots of green and orange vegetables, plus apples.  Also, protein from Greek yogurt and eggs. A good source of protein is important.
9. Get plenty of rest.
10. Sleep on your back with head elevated above your heart.
11.  Drink plenty of water and start several days before your procedure.  You want your skin hydrated for the procedure and then after procedure.
12. Buy a wide brimmed hat.  You will need it for your drive home and then post procedure.
13. Have someone drive you home.  You will be too worried to drive.  The pain is manageable but the stress before and after will make driving dangerous.

Entering week 3 after Smartxide. Skin is till slightly red on face and neck. Neck is more red and requires makeup to hide the redness. My normal skin color is very light which is probably why the redness is still so noticeable.
My overall treatment would be considered a light to moderat level. Smartxide got rid of all freckles and discolorations, a couple of skintags or growths. My skin is very smooth and shiny. It is still very dry in the areas where skin is thick such as cheeks but it is still flaking in those areas. Smartxide did not get rid of frown lines, deep poors or crows feet. I believe that multiple treatments or a deeper treatment in these areas may improve them so I am going to do 1 or more treatments in those areas.
I had a tremendous amount of tightening while skin was swollen but after the swelling finally went down most of that disappeared.If you are looking to improve your skin by making it more even toned, then this is the perfect treatment. It probably will not remove deep lines unless you choose a more aggressive level of treatment and even then, my guess is it will correct those issues.
I do not know about it's effects on the collagen and how that will play out. Only time will tell. In my opinion, for the money and minor inconvenience, it is worth the try if you wish to improve the texture of your skin.
I will continue to update as time passes and if I have another treatment.
Hello
This is day 5 after Smartxide. The redness has faded some more. I am still too red to leave the house without makeup. My neck is red and there is a distinct line between the treated area and my untreated white neck. It took 5 days for the dry skin to shed.Before that, the skin felt like sandpaper. Now my skin is very soft and smooth to the touch. You must continue to use the Aquaphor until the dry skin is shed. Once that happens you can switch to a lighter cream. The Aquaphor does not allow the skin to breath so I had several of those white pimples on my chin and cheeks. Today my skin is itching, so I am using Hydrocortisone cream to help an continue to use 25mg Benedryl.
From my experience I can say that this is NOT a weekend treatment. Based on my experience, it will take AT LEAST a week, maybe more to enter the public without the world knowing that you burned your skin in some way. My treatment was not that aggressive.
Most of the swelling is down on the 5th day. My forehead lines are back. The swelling masked the lines. I thought they were gone. Also the large pores on my chin were unaffected.
My skin is still tight but not sure that this will last.
I have read that my skin is still recovering and that the collagen building has not begun. That this starts around 10 days. So, I have changed my overall review to "not sure". I will let time determine my final review. I will keep you all posted. It would be nice if others would continue to followup after several months and years so that we can all know what to expect. I think that many of us are reviewing the procedure too soon. When the skin is swollen, all lines disappear and the skin is tight. For those of you that are about to have this treatment, wait 1-2 weeks before you review the procedures.
I will try to find time to upload pictures soon.
Good luck.

In your 50's but look 30's?!! Wow, you are fortunate!! Of course I'm sure you have done a lot to protect your skin & keep yourself healthy, so well done!

Sounds like your skin is healing up pretty well, and that you are taking good care to ensure it heals as nicely.

Please keep us updated on what changes you see. :)

4 months after Smartxide. The minimal improvement...

4 months after Smartxide. The minimal improvement in my complection is FAR outweighted by the damage.
I have been developing pock marks. They look like tiny acne scars. They are on both cheeks and my chin.
There is absolutely no change in poor size on my face. It removed a few very minor lines around my eyes.
I am developing lines on my upper lip which I did not have prior to the laser treatment. I keep getting this small whiteheads, which are almost impossible to remove. They show up off and on. Never had those before the laser.
I am not sure if the RN did it, because she said that she was on a very light setting. Although my face did puff up the size of a balloon and I had to hide in the house for a week to allow the swelling to go down. I remained red for almost 3 months. I still get red when my skin is exposed to hot water and cold air.
I placed a complaint with the FDA and I hope that all of you that have had these problems to please do the same.
Please do it now so that we can prevent other women from making the same mistake.
I specifically asked the technician to go light just in case. I figured I would do it again, if I liked the results.

Some people have commented that the acne scars are a result of the collagen regrowth. I believe them.

STAY AWAY FROM ABLATIVE LASER TREATMENT!

You can have laser in a much milder form and it does not ablate the skin. It may not have the same results, but I still wouldn't do it until the FDA and the industry solves this problem.

I had MUCH BETTER skin BEFORE the laser!

Now, I have to see a Plastic surgeon and a skin doctor to find out how to fix the damage.

My goodness catco, I am so sorry to hear that you are feeling your skin looks worse now. :( You had mentioned you were seeing a plastic surgeon and a skin doctor. Have you been to see them yet? Please share with us what they tell you. I hope there is a good solution for you.

any new results since you had this done? what would you recommend to someone considering it?
Do not do it! But if you insist on this type of procedure, make certain that you do it with a plastic surgeon and one that has a great deal of experience and a fine reputation. It will cost more but you will probably be much happier I now have pock marks on my face. They look like enlarged pores or acne scars. I never had acne. I believe it has something to do with the way the skin repairs the holes that were created by the laser. I would call it a form of scarring. I don't know if it was the laser, the RN or the way my skin has healed but others have complained and others have filed complaints with the FDA. If I had it to do over, I would have done a series of acid peels at my local plastic surgeons office. Also, I flush very easily when my skin is exposed to heat or cold. Something new that I have never experienced before. I can still see tiny holes all over my forehead and am assuming that those will never heal...it's been several months.
Lasergentle

There was no after care follow-up or phone/email responses so these are not applicable.