So Happy They Are Out! - Walnut Creek, CA

Let me begin by thanking everyone for sharing...

Let me begin by thanking everyone for sharing their story. It's been very helpful. My story is typical: I had my children and breast fed each child for a year. I went from a C cup to an F cup with both kids. When I finished nursing altogether, I was a B cup and they were very sad looking. My neighbor had the "mommy makeover" and made it look so easy so I signed up! I wish I would have just gotten the lift like I wanted but I trusted my PS and went ahead with the smallest silicon implants and a lift. This was 9 years ago. I was happy for a while until my right breast started to hurt. Everytime I went in for a check up (7 years as it was a study) my PS said they were both fine. I ended up taking karate for four years during that time and I got a big punch right in the right breast and it's never been quite right since.

I went back to the PS, a PT, my GP and a chiropracter, and they all said I seemed fine. last November, 2013, I felt a lump in my armpit (panic!!!) and went to my GP. I had a sonogram, mammogram (and all the other grams they do when they see something on the screen). I spoke with a surgeon and he said it was probably my implant leaking. After several appointments I finally got a date to remove the implants and the bits of silicon in my armpit (they did not end up in my lymph nodes).

My surgery was 12/4/13 and it was dramatic but I am grateful that all went well. They removed the implants (right one had indeed ruptured and silicon may have travelled due to mammograms or tennis or whatever), they removed the capsules and the silicon nodules (three of them). I had a great experience even though it was painful. Kaiser took very good care of me even though I was so embarassed that I had brought this upon myself. I put my family through this (during the holidays too!) because of my vanity 9 years ago. People are going through real problems like cancer and other horrors and I am taking up time and funds because of my vanity.

I am 6 weeks post explant now and I am so happy to be rid of them! I still have pain here and there and I am missing tennis so much but I am grateful to be here and seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. It's nice to talk about it to people who understand. I went to Kohls yesterday to look for a bra(s) and I can't believe the sea of huge, molded bras that are there! What happened to the cute, cotton delicate bras for Newly B-Cupped gals? I look at our vacation pictures from last summer and I think "I looked ridiculous!!!" I look around, even in fashion mags, and everyone had boobs!!! I have a small frame and my C cups (which looked like big D cups) took over my top half. I have been telling my hubby and friends that I am now a ballerina and I am going to try out for swan lake next year! ;) I still have pain and nervousness and I have to remind myself to put my shoulders back!!! I feel the need to protect but I am hoping that will pass soon! One more thing: I loved my PS who explanted me (although he looked about 17!!!) but my husbands coverage changed from Kaiser to bluecross when they year changed. I want to see him one more time and make sure all is well but it'll be a process to extend my coverage. This site has been helpful with regards to answering questions about my scar, activity, seroma questions, going back out without the "girls", and healing expectations.

Thank you all for sharing your pictures and eperiences. ;) I wonder if anyone has experienced surgery in the armpit to remove silicon nodules and how that turned out? I am still nervous to raise my right arm all the way above my head. Anyone? :)

I'm sorry if I missed this in your write up(s): Did you have any kind of lift with explantation? Were your implants over or under the muscle?
Who was your doctor? I'd love to get mine removed for around $2000 but I keep getting quoted really high.
Good morning :) I was with kaiser. We changed coverage in 2014 :( their bill was about 8,000 but we were responsible for about $1,800. I was surprised that they were so adamant to remove them when I have read that the silicon can "stay put". How do you feel? Are you worried?

6.5 weeks post explant

I am looking forward to not having the random pains here and there. I know it's still early but can anyone tell me when they will magically end? :) I have post a pic of a very helpful bra as it sits nicely on the scars under my breasts and keeps everything in place (and the sports back doesn't irritate my neck). I wish I could go back in time and have a chat with my former self. I would tell her to listen to her instincts and just have the lift (and buy stock in google!!). Lol.
I wish I could edit so I could add some commas and make my rant a little easier to read (lol). :) I did have a life with my original surgery (implants sub muscular and anchor lift). Honestly, this explant has been harder to recover from- not sure why. I am glad I had the life- I think it "stuck" through the years so my explant results aren't as droopy as they could be. :)
I had saline so I definitely don't have leakage of any kind. I doubt I'd get any kind of coverage. They're just uncomfortable and really tight. Too big for my frame I guess. I'd love to get them taken out but anymore than $3000 I can't afford. I'm praying I can find an affordable solution.
I hear ya! I think silicon is lighter than saline. I have a good girlfriend who had saline put in and they are too big for her frame and she looks bigger than she is , unless she wears tight clothes and shows them off, which is not her personality. She would like them removed but is worried about drains, cost, healing time, etc. Although aside from cost, it seems like healing from saline explant may be a little bit easier ( and no armpit surgery either). Wish I could help with cost part!!!! Too bad there is no recourse if you are unhappy with the implants. :( praying for you:)

Great sports bra to help flatten scars. Inexpensive too! Champion from target :)

Did I mention it's great to sleep in?
You look wonderful! How are you feeling now?
I just have to say allmeagain, your breasts look wonderful and you have some impressive abs!!
Agree with bird7!

Three months post op

Thank you all again for sharing your stories. It has been such a big help to hear similarities and to know that I am not alone in this. I am very grateful to be exercising, working, playing tennis and living my life again!!! It still hurts a bit when I lift my right arm above my head to put on a sports bra or other clothing, but that's fine. They had to cut into my armpit to retrieve the silicon nodules so I imagine that'll hurt for a while.

It's been a little weird walking around as a b cup instead of a big c cup. I still have no idea what size I am but I just get the Bali bras (s, m, and l). I like them because they fit tight and I feel secure and compressed. If there is anything to the notion that keeping them compressed for 6 months helps them stay "up" then I am willing to try. Nothing to lose at this point.

I didn't realize that I had been pulling my shoulders forward --- now they are back and I feel much better. My posture is back on track! Per some good advice, I avoid weights above the head and I don't do any push ups (easy to live with!). My breasts are still a little strange (I.e., bump here and there and sensation issues) but I feel like they are going to work themselves out.

Thanks again ladies!!! I wish you all success in finding your real selves again! What a learning experience this has been! :)

Two more things!!!!

Has anyone experienced their breasts spreading out? I feel like they have widened, even though they are smaller. It's been difficult trying to size myself. I have spent lots of time in the changing rooms with all sizes but hardly any feel right (except for sports bras and the Bali Easy Sizing bras (amazon.com).

Second, have you found they are more jiggly than before?? Weird. :)
Oh my! You look amazing! I think the slight natural slope makes you look very feminine and sexy! Your scars are so faintly for being so new! I think they fit your body beautifully :))
Thanks - honestly, I am just so flipping happy they are gone!!! No more worries. I played tennis for 3 hours today and it was awesome!!! :)
I don't know what size I am and I really don't care at this point. I have been in dressing rooms with a million bras and they just don't feel right so I go back to my comfy Bali easy size bras. I have been sized as 38b and 34c - really?? I still fit comfortably into my 34D sports bra so who knows. I am going to give it a year and try again :)

5 months out

Hi all! I am about 5 months now and all is well! My new (old) breast feel great and I am still wearing tight Bali bras. I think this might just be me though :). I feel more comfortable with them compressed though. Also, I am having post surgical hair shedding (started 4 months post surgery). Even that is worth having them out!! Happy healing ladies!!!
I feel better with some compression too! Thanks for the update :)
Wow, you do look amazing. Lucky you! How long should one wait to do push ups and overhead weights? I haven't found that specific advice anywhere yet. Thanks!
Hi pretty ;) I don't do overhead weights yet :(. I am nervous about it. I think I will wait until 6 months and then gently begin:).

Almost 100% healed

5 months plus and I think this is it. I do sort of miss my implants now that summer clothing is here but it's OK. I haven't fluffed really but the feeling is coming back from my armpit surgery. And....I rarely thing about my explant unless I see a real self post :). There is life after explant :). Happy healing ladies!!!
You look amazing x
You look fantastic!!! Thank you for sharing your story!
Kaiser

Dr. Chen and the whole surgery center staff were amazing. Quick note: My proceedure costs included hospital and such. This was through kaiser and I am not sure how they do their billing. I had to pay about $2,000.