5 weeks post op

II'm 55 now and have wanted to have a breast...

II'm 55 now and have wanted to have a breast reduction since I was in my 30's, I went for a consultation with a PS back then but was denied by my insurance so just though this will never happen for me. Now, in my first year of menopause and a bit heavier, well more than a bit, my breast have grown ugh! 145 lbs and only 5'2 lugging these 36 F's around had been torture, deep groves in the shoulders, neck aches, back aches, well you all know what I'm talking about.
My husband is a Chiropractor and suggested I ask my Kaiser Doctor, so I did, and was surprised at how fast the process has taken shape in my favor!
I have a high deductible but all in all it won't be near as much if I had to pay on my own. I inquired in Aug. went to see the PS and he said yes, no problem, you are a candidate for the surgery, at that point I wasn't ready to commit, I asked if I could email him when I was ready. A few weeks later I went to Macy's for a bathing suit for an upcoming trip to Kauai, and was faced with such a disturbing few hours, I must have tried on 50 bathing suites, nothing would hold these knocker's in. I emailed him as soon as I got home. Long story short, I changed PS because of scheduling and have a young women who is new to Kaiser. I'm going on blind faith!
Thank you all who have been posting updates, without the support of reading all the stories I'm not sure I would have taken this plunge, I've been obsessed with reading all of your blogs every night! Thank you, I will post before pictures very soon!

I just returned from the first PS appt. She...

I just returned from the first PS appt. She decided to leave in the drains and wrap me back up. Yesterday was the day after surgery and I didn't feel well at all, today is better but not great. I had a peek but was scared to look in a mirror. I'll wait until drains come out and I'm in a bra, my husband said they looked good :)

I'm 3 days shy of 3 weeks. It's been a journey for...

I'm 3 days shy of 3 weeks. It's been a journey for sure. I'm feeling so much better just in the past 4 days. I still
Have bruising and little scabbing, my girls are still a bit swollen and sore. My nipples are puckered and the left one seems to be going in a different direction :( I hope it straightens out. I'm waiting for incisions to completely heal before starting any scar treatments.
I have to say this has been emotionally difficult for me, I usually have a very positive outlook, but I became depressed and wondered if I had done the right thing. I'm much better now, but still don't quite feel like myself. I know I'll get there soon!
I'm being careful not to reach high or lift anything to heavy, other than that I'm slowly getting back to my routines. It does seem I need to rest more. Back to work next week.
I can't wait until I can buy a new bra and shop for new clothes!!!
I've been trying on some of my clothes and can't believe how big they are. By by big tops! It's going to be a different shopping experience, can't wait!!!!

Posted a few new photos but they are upside down,...

Posted a few new photos but they are upside down, how do you delete photos?

Week 5 Hi ladies, It's been a while since I've...

Week 5

Hi ladies, It's been a while since I've updated but thought it would be important to share my latest experience with those who might have to go through something similar. Not long after my last post about 31/2 weeks post op, I had some oozing from my right nipple, it was coming from a few little pin holes where the sutures were, just below my nipple there was a pocket of fluid, with a tiny little area of separation from the pressure from the fluid. When I went to my PS she squeezed the pocket to drain the fluid, then decided to use a nitrate stick to cauterize the area, I had no idea what a nitrate stick was, and it burned while she was using it, when she was done she showed me with a mirror that I now had an opened wound about the size of a quarter, she said that in the next 4 days, really icky brown stuff will be coming out of the wound and not to be alarmed, she also told me this was going to set me back 4 to 6 weeks, and I was to come back on the forth day. Needless to say I was pretty devastated that I'm walking out of her office with a wound I didn't have when I walked in, which lead me to contemplate even more "why I did this", I was pretty depressed, I was looking forward to getting out of the sports bras and into something more comfortable, and now more sleeping on my back.
She was right there was lots of oozing, and drainage from the area. On the 4 day I returned to her office, she cleaned up the wound and told me the reason she did the nitrate stick was because she was worried there was a second fluid pocket, turns out there wasn't, she was happy, but I wasn't, it seemed this was an unnecessary procedure, ugh!!! The Universe decided I was not learning patients yet I guess, LOL!
She showed me how to pack it with this gel to keep it moist, she said it would probably get worse before it gets better, WHAT!!! You gotta be kidding me!!! I walked out of there with sterile scissors, tweezers, lots of gauze and packing material and the gel.oh yeah and more antibiotics. About 3 days later I noticed that a small area just below this wound on the suture line was started to separate, I was freaking out and sent her a picture, she wrote back and said she wouldn't be surprised if the two meet and become one wound. OMG!!!
I'm not ready for this to happen, why me, you read about it happening to other women but you think, no, it's not going to happen to me! This sent me into a real funk! She also said, don't look at it, huh! how do you not look at something you have to take care of everyday.
It's been about 9 days since I had my last appt. and about 5 days ago I decided to try using the Mauka Honey, I have to say I think it's working, the small wound has almost closed and it didn't get bigger as she expected. I just happened to have some of the honey in my cabinet, so I went on amazon and read all the reviews on how much it has helped others with healing wounds and just thought what do I have to lose, I'm going to give it a try. I will keep you posted. I'm not going to post pictures just yet, it's kinda gross looking, I'd rather post a progression of the healing. Anyway that's what's been happening with me. I have finally let go of the anxiety and realize this is a process, it changes everyday, other parts of my recover are much better, they are not as sore, the swelling is going away, the incisions are still sore but I'm putting honey on that area as well, just to give it a whirl. I'm much more positive than I was, and it's been so nice not having the neck ache, backache and I feel like I can breath better, stand up straighter and I feel much lighter. Yes, I had a setback but it's taught me patience's and all in all I'm happy, and I know that eventually I will heal. There is so much to be thankful for, and especially having the opportunity to read and connect with all of you, don't know how I would have dealt with all of this without this site! Hugs and kisses to all of you!!!!

Hi Heide, Sorry to hear about the setback...that stinks. Glad to hear you are back on the mend and learning patience ;-)... Hope your healing continues to progress at a better rate now!
Thanks Colette, I'm on the mend and continue to go with the flow :) You look amazing chica, I'm so happy for you and your smooth recovery!
my goodness thats a terrible ordeal you went through!. i wish you the best. and speedy recovery.*hugs*
Thanks for the hugs! Hugs back at ya for all you're enduring! February 27 will be here before you know it! You will be soooo happy to have the load off!
I love it...having the load off is worth every little zing, and ouch!
I feel for you about your open wound, but I'm so glad that you've licked our dreaded enemy, "Anxiety"! I also had been freaking out for about a week up until yesterday. Since my last appointment on the 5th there was bright red bleeding coming from one of my vertical incisions. I just new that I was headed for an open wound! But, I wanted to give it time to work itself out so I waited a week to call the PS which was Wed. I was told to come in the next day. Yesterday morning, I get to the PS's office and it had stopped. Which meant a waste of time and money. And my PS also told me to stop looking. But it was hard to stop looking since I had to treat and bandage the incision everyday. She feels that I'm worrying myself and that I'm healing fine. The bleeding was basically just a blood vessel healing itself. I try to remind my self that remaining calm and staying positive help to promote a speedy and happy recovery. I hate that your time has extended, but I love that you're focusing on the positives. I pray that from here on out you have a smooth recovery.
Thanks so much! This is quite the journey isn't it? Everyday gets better! I'm very happy I went through with the BR! I'm glad you're doing better and the bleeding wasn't anything serious! Gook luck with your appt. Wednesday!
Hi Hiedie, I just read your last post. I hope that all is going well for you being back to work. I read a lot of the ladies post stating that fatigue would set in pretty hard in the middle of the work. I pray that all is well and that you're doing great.
Hi RejoWell! Thanks for checking in with me. Unforunatly at week 3 I had an issue with a pocket of fluid just below my right nipple, it was causing some separation at the bottom of my nipple. I went to see my PS on Friday and she used a silver nitrate stick, opened the area and squeezed out fluid. I went to see her again today, she cleaned the area, now I have a small hole that needs to close. I decided to call my clients and reshedule for next week. I hope your recovery is going well and the itching is better. I'm glad your happy with the outcome!
Heidi, I just made it passed the mammogram all is good, I ahve to consult my PS and get on with the next step. I am 57 , and in good health I weigh 120 lbs or less, I hope all is well with you. I ahve done a lot of rsearch and I think I sort of know what to expect.
JeriLynn that's exciting news, do you have a date yet?
Hi I just wanted to re-assure you and let you know that what you are feeling is totally normal. Its so easy to judge the way the new boobs look and I think for me I kinda wanted to get rid of the old look and have the new 'after' ones looking like boobs should and also without the soreness/swelling/tiredness/blues and everything else that comes with the recovery! I had a bloody good cry last night and felt better for it. I find the night time the worst, its dark, gloomy and generally pleeeuuuurrr! You are not alone! PS when you go to add pics there is also a button there for you to delete pics : ) xx
Cariad, thanks for letting me know I'm not alone, It's getting better for sure! You're looking fabulous and healing so nicely. My lefty is bigger as well. I know I'm still swollen but sure hope they even out. Looking forward to the day I don't think about my breasts all day long, when they become a natural part of the body. Love you're posts, you have a great sense of humor, I needed a few laughs :)
Thank you everyone for all of your encouraging words! I am 3.5 weeks in and healing - slowly but so grateful I did it! I am ready for the 6 mos to pass so I can see the results - so far though I am pleased. Aloha all!
hehe thanks my sense of humour has been my best friend through all of this! The healing can be frustrating because you want the 'after op boobs' look to be immediate and not have to put up with all of the nonsense! hehe. I just want to sleep for 6 months until my noobs are feeling like they belong to me and I also too stop thinking about them all the time which I have done for about 15 years! xx
Hey I just read your post I remember you but I see I never wrote. I have also had a hard recovery and yes the emotions r part of it. It is very normal to question. You have been through a lot and the meds don't help. Just go very slow and rest! understand you are still healing give it time I truly think you will be happy after the pain subsides more. I really understand we all do! Continue Healing and keep us posted all my love baby xoxoxo
Thanks Mia! I guess I wasn't expecting sadness. It's almost like a grieving process, even though I disliked my "large" breasts I kinda miss them. Getting used to my new ones :)
you are looking good! I did experience some sadness a well.. I woke up in the middle of the night crying! I was so upset! I think it is normal to go through that phase..glad you are feeling better.. hang in there this is an process for sure :)
Thank you! I hope you're feeling better!
I think for some the sadness is normal! You are looking great! Keep up the healing and isn't it nice to know that we CAN buy tops without worrying about if the girls will fit!
Yes! Looking forward to tops not tents! You're looking fabulous by the way, healing beautifully!
Hope and pray you are healing well and that each new day finds you feeling better than the last.
Congrats and i hope u get to feeling better soon!
Hi Heide, How are you doing today? Hope you are feeling better everyday!
Hope your doing good! I've been able to peek at mine a bit and even though I'm in a lot of pain and discomfort I remember what my goal was.....