When Diet and Exercise Just Don't Cut It - Cary, NC

I'm 46 years old, never had children and struggled...

I'm 46 years old, never had children and struggled with my weight most of my life. In about a month I'm going in for liposuction for my stomach, flanks, lateral chest wall (bra overhang) and thighs. I hope to do this once, so I might as well go big! Lipo was never on my radar, but I'm not embarrassed to say I need a little help with shedding the fat.

I eat well for the most part but I do slip up, however, I'm very diligent about exercise which I do at least 5 x week. To help shed the fat I hired a personal trainer. I decided to ramp up my cardio and started running. I completed 2 marathons and 5 half marathons. I was sure the running would get me the flat stomach and improve my problem areas. No such luck. Collected some great looking medals and an assortment of injuries. Just this year I realized time is not on my side. I've put in years of hard work, sacrifice and money. I'm happy with my size, but no matter how hard I work there are some areas that will not improve. That's when I had the epiphany.

As the procedure gets closer, I will post before pictures (eek!). In the mean time, I hope to drop a few more pounds. Because the weather will be warmer, I'm really hoping the swelling won't be worse than normal and I'll be able to sleep in a compression garment. I would appreciate any advice on what to prepare for and expect. Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone!

I had my pre-op appointment with Dr. Stoeckel last...

I had my pre-op appointment with Dr. Stoeckel last week. Where has the time gone?! It was so long ago when I booked the procedure, now it's next week! I was scared but after talking with him, I am getting excited.

I promised before pics *gulp* and I'll have them posted this weekend.

I'll add photos of my stomach soon.

I'll add photos of my stomach soon.

Had my procedure on Friday and I promised myself I...

Had my procedure on Friday and I promised myself I would be patient. I didn't get to see myself before the compression garment was put on, however I see some differences.

I'm very swollen and I look like I've been in a gun battle with all the liquid coming out. I'm dying to take a shower and I may do that tonight. Dr Stoeckel and his staff are top notch, you can't ask for a better team. 4800cc's were taken out, but he expected to take more, so I'm happy about that.

On a scale of 1 being no pain to 10 being the worst ever, right now I'm at about a 3. Dr Stoeckel followed up and said right now I would be going through the worst, so he was pleased that I am not in a lot of pain. The pain feels like a hard leg workout. I don't feel anything in my stomach. My only complaint about the compression garment is that it's so dirty now, however, it's not very uncomfortable.

One week post-op - IT SUCKS!

And I've hit an emotional roller coaster. I thought I was prepared for what to expect after reading so many other experiences a lot of you have shared. I was fine days after the surgery. I stayed on top of my meds so the pain was manageable. The expected itching lasted just a couple of days and I really thought I was going to have a good recovery.

Maybe it was the vicodin that was keeping me in a good mood. I stopped taking it after 6 days and switched to Tylenol. The swelling started a couple of days ago and I was not prepared for that. Basically my abdomen is fine, some swelling and not much pain at all. My thighs feel like cement bricks and they're sore walking, sitting and lying down. I'm used to working out and doing stuff for myself and now I feel so tired and helpless.

I know it'll get better but man this part of the recovery SUCKS!

Less pain...still swelling

This morning is the first day I woke up feeling almost normal, with the exception of the outrageous swelling. I hope this is the start of getting back to me.
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

I've been going to Wake Plastic Surgery for their aesthetic services for the past 3 years, so I was aware of Dr. Stoeckel's and his practice's reputation. However, I did my due diligence by doing lots of research and met with other doctors. I appreciated the time he spent explaining my options and answering question after question. I also felt assured that he will do a good job.

How r u doing? I'm contouring on my sides but otherwise lipo is dismal. My boobs are great lol. Thank God for that. Hope ur fairing better!?!!!
How you doing Ms. Lady? Well, we have to be patient I keep telling myself. It's only been 3 weeks but 3 of the longest damn weeks! Like you I'm starting to slowly see some contouring and thankfully the swelling is giving me somewhat of a break. For a time, I thought I was going to explode. Also, my appetite has gone down so hopefully I'll lose even more weight. I just started exercising again.
Ok lady...how are you feeling? Any after pics? Are you as swollen and frustrated as the rest of us? Lol.....hope you are doing well!!!
Hey! Sorry, I just saw this. Things were going great and I feel like I've hit a brick wall. Luckily, I'm going back to work on Monday and hopefully it will take my mind off my recovery so far. I'm very, very swollen and frustrated. I know it'll get better but I've had a few tantrums. I'm so bruised up and swollen that I can't post anything now. I'm hoping this weekend will show some improvement. By the way, you look great in your swimsuit! I want one like that!
You are almost there!!! I sleep in my compression garments. BUT - I am a light sleeper so I take 1 unisom each night or I would never get to sleep. I highly recommend the unisom if sleeping with the garment on is an issue...not habit forming, no hangover kind of thing...but only 1 or you will feel groggy when you get up. Oh, and I did not take them when I was on the pain meds...because those help you sleep anyway. I started the unison after I was done with the pain stuff. Good luck...I am sure you will look great!!
Hey, thanks for the tip! I'm a light sleeper and I don't sleep well when it's hot. Fortunately, the weather here in NC has been unseasonably cool. It'll be close to 90 tomorrow then cool off next week. I just had a call with the anesthesiologist, so it was like, "Wow, it's really happening!" I'm remaining positive and expecting the best. Good luck to you too!
Hi, I went to Dr.Stoeckel for my Lipo of back, flanks, upper abdomen, and bra area. Let me just say you have absolutely nothing to worry about im almost 2months post op now
Sorry for late response, I was out of town. Yes, I've seen your profile before and you must be pleased with your results. Were you able to go back to work after a week? I'm taking just a week off.
I'm having lipo abdomen & breast augmentation in about three weeks. Here is the list I've compiled so far. Hope this helps: Liposuction/ Breast Augmentation grocery lists: Veggie soup Chicken soup Raisin bran cereal Fat free milk Gatorade (grape, fruit punch) Bottled water Crystal light packets Fruit: Strawberries, grapes, peaches, plums, bananas Wheat bread Ham slices (low sodium) Salad mix Fat free dressing (ranch n Italian) Asparagus, tomatoes Whole Foods/CVS: Arnica gel/ pills (both) Laxatives Stool softener Ice packs Heat packs Stage 2 Marena Garment - needed later
Hi Rn2b313, Thanks for the feedback and suggestions! Is the food you listed just a personal preference or for a specific purpose? Did you buy your compression garments before or after your surgery?
I've been gathering that food list from others who have had lipo and some of my own choices. I'm going to order my 2nd compression garment soon as possible my surgery has been moved to April 18th whoo hoo!!!
Good luck and make sure you post some photos!