3 Things to Make Your Life Easier After a Tummy Tuck - Wadsworth, OH

I recently had a tummy tuck on Jan. 14, 2014,...

I recently had a tummy tuck on Jan. 14, 2014, combined with an ovary removal. I have to say the procedure went far more smoothly than I thought it would. I am 47, have 4 kids and weighed 133lbs before surgery. My surgeon did not use drains which has been nice. It definitely is major surgery, so expect significant recovery time! Here's my three favorite things that have made all the difference in my well-being since the surgery:
1. Rent a recliner! I can't stress enough just how helpful a power recliner is for overall comfort, getting up and down, and sleeping. I got mine from Rent-A-Center for just over $30 a week. Worth every penny! It's been my 'command station' as it includes a power plug for a computer as well as a USB port for my phone charger. It also has a little table for putting my meds on, water bottle, etc.
2. Pain ball! My surgeon attached a pain ball to dispense medicine--has made things so much easier and was worth the extra couple of hundred dollars.
3. A walker! I borrowed a friend's walker and it is so handy for making those long trips to the bathroom. I also take it for a spin around the house to get the circulation going in my legs and it's great. Very handy for supporting your weight so your poor back can get a break.
I'm only on day two post-op but so far so good! Might add before and after photos when I get the nerve in a day or so.

Day 3 post-op

Doing noticeably better today. Had my husband put the plastic chair in the bathroom for a shower later but still debating whether or not I should wait one more day. I was able to walk back to my recliner from the toilet without my walker, which was a huge accomplishment. Pain ball is just about empty, so strictly on Percoset and the occasional Tylenol now. Feel pressure on my lungs which makes it a little difficult to take deep breaths but not too bad. Will post photos if I shower.

Whatever you do, don't laugh!

Oh my gosh, I thought I'd have my daughter help me shower. We got the giggles and then all heck broke loose: the more I tried not to laugh the more painful it got! Oh it was terrible. Laughing will be the death of you, so avoid humor at all cost! I got some pictures so I'll post them when I my insides glue themselves back together. OUCH!!

No more pain meds

Can't believe it's only day 5 since my TT and I don't need any pain meds. This whole process has been a lot better than I thought it would be.

Day Six

Went to the doctor today to take out my pain ball tubes. I'm glad I never needed drains. My doctor said some patients don't need them. He stitched me together instead with quilting stitches on the inside and apparently, that reduces the need for a drain. He said I was healing nicely. I go back in two weeks for another check up. Only thing that bothers me is my poor back, even though I can stand pretty much straight up now.

Almost two weeks after TT

Feeling so much better. Standing almost completely upright. Still have to take it easy. I would definitely say you need a full two weeks to recover from this procedure to the point where you can go back to doing simple things. I tried sleeping in a bed last night but laying on my side started to get uncomfortable after awhile so back to the recliner! Tried a flexees garment but couldn't sleep in it--back to my binder the surgeon gave me. Wish the swelling was gone!

11 Days and doing fine

I guess the drains approach worked okay! I still have swelling, though. Wish I could sleep in my bed but laying on my side starts to get uncomfortable internally after awhile. Tried sleeping in my Flexees garment but it was just too uncomfortable. Overall, this process has been a lot better than I thought it would be. Pain level is not terrible--pain meds take care of that! If you're thinking of doing it, do not be deterred by fear of pain. I thought childbirth was a lot worse!
Akron Plastic Surgeon

Seems competent and very friendly.