No Longer Concerned About Explanted Look After 24 Years-Still Looking Good! - Virginia, VA

I have been reading the posts on this site for...

I have been reading the posts on this site for about a six weeks since I found it. The stories have been helpful and encouraging. The pictures have been very helpful. Most look great post op. I am hoping they are a good sampling of post implant looks, and not just the best case sennarioes.

I got my first set of implants at approximately age 31. That was 24 years ago. Soon after they did develop "scar" tissue that my PS did a closed compression of the breasts to reduce the scar. They continued to develop, what I later learned, capsular contractions. (This was all before internet capabilities!) I knew the breasts were not "normal" looking but always thought that was "normal" for implants. Five to six years ago I developed basal cell carcinoma on my breast, which my dermatologist sent me to my PS to remove. I think secretly she sent me to him as she knew I needed looked at. He immediately knew I had implants which he recommended I change out. He felt I would not be happy with permanent removal. So I did. And I have had three capsulotomies and one capsulectomy since. Now the right one is contracting again and it just makes me mad. It will not get better. I know that. And I do not want another procedure to release it in a few months only to have it recur again in a year. I am tired of it. And I am tired of hugging my adult children and feeling a firm ball there, as well as bouncing when the golf cart goes over roots, etc., etc., etc.

I met with my plastic surgeon a couple weeks ago and the first thing he said was "so you want to be flat and flabby". Does anyone WANT to be flat and flabby? He is not very supportive. I think he is accustomed to making women look better through PS, not possibly worse.

My husband is very supportive. He knows I have been thinking about this for years. He is also a physician and has seen many, many breasts of many shapes and sizes.

I was a barely 32-A pre-implants. I have gained 20-25 lbs through the years and I am 55 yrs old. I am so hoping I don't look horrible afterwards.Many women on this site are 20's to early 40. Not as old as me. I am having capsulectomy as well. He did not recommend a lift at the same time as blood supply could be compromised due to capsules needing removed. I want mammograms to be as accurate as possible, and I don't think they have been with implants and capsulular contractions.

I have been shopping for bras and am hopeful that something will fit me and actually make me look fuller than I may become. My children do not know I have these. They went in when they were 5 and 6 years old.
So, Thursday is my day, and I can't wait to get it over with! I may not look at them for days. Tempted to cover all mirrors. And I may not let my husband see for a while. Can't wait to stop feeling self conscious about these implants. Guess I will be changing direction and feeling self conscious about my new small size for a while. Seems all I do is hide my chest!! :)
Will attempt to post pictures. Thanks to all previous posters for your helpful information.

I have been looking for pictures for weeks and am...

I have been looking for pictures for weeks and am having difficulty finding where everyone's implants were placed in relation to how they look explanted. So as an FYI: mine are above the muscle. So we will see!

Hi All. Thanks for all the well wishes. Surgery...

Hi All. Thanks for all the well wishes. Surgery was today and all went well. He did not remove capsules after all. Said they were thin and didn't need to come out. I actually had thicker capsules removed 5 yrs ago when I had the original pair changed out. I do have drains which will come out Tuesday. I feel fine, no pain. Not even sleepy. Been watching tv all day with my husband. Perhaps not sleepy b/c we went to Starbucks to get me a pumpkin latte? My treat for me! Hugs to all and best wishes to my fellow explanters who have surgeries coming up tomorrow and in a couple of weeks.

Thank you everyone for your well wishes. Still,...

Thank you everyone for your well wishes. Still, so far so good. Only problem is the left drain is a bit uncomfortable and I have a LOT of difficulty sleeping on my back. First night I didn't sleep hardly at all. Yesterday, my husband picked up some Tylenol PM for me and I slept like a baby. Will be glad to get back to sleeping on my side! I, like Relieved, have probably been doing too much. So, think I will try to take it a bit easier in hopes of preventing complications. I am also happy to hear from other 50 somethings. When I first went on this site, it seemed most women were 20's to early 40's with implants in much less than me. Now at least I have a peer group to share experiences with and follow each other's progresses. I am hoping and praying we all do well. Will wait until drains come out to post more pics. Thanks again to all.

I have posted more pictures as I think the picture...

I have posted more pictures as I think the picture gallery is very helpful to those researching explanting. Also, it is very therapeutic, Seems my breasts look pretty good in the pictures, which is very uplifting (literally and figuratively)! Drains came out on Tuesday and my next appt. is in 2 weeks. Still do not know why I had them as the original plan was to do capsulectomies w/drains but decision was made intra-op to leave them. May have been riskier to remove them than to leave them I suspect. My appt. for drain removal was very disappointing from the aspect that he didn't spend any time with me regarding how long to wear or what kind of sport bra to wear, the physiology of healing (I really don't know what exactly is happening in there now that the implants are out), etc. So, this site has been helpful in that way. So, I have a question for you ladies who are wearing the sport bras. What kind do you like best? I have a slightly padded Champion on today but it is the racer back and puts a lot of pressure on the shoulders. I think I am a bit long from shoulder to bust area. But I must say, I think I look pretty good! I have on a top I have had for years, which is form fitting, and I don't really think the "bridge group" ladies would notice I have a bit of a reformation going on! And I must say this too, and many of you may agree, I had forgotten how SOFT breasts really are! This is great! So, providing I continue to heal without a problem, all is good! At least until this February when we go to the Dominican Republic and I have trouble with my swim suits fitting :(. But I will worry about that in January, after a few months of healing! Oh, and BTW: I got a huge refund since he didn't remove the capsules!

It has been six weeks since my explant, so I...

It has been six weeks since my explant, so I wanted to post more pictures as that is what helped get me through the decision to explant the most. I am VERY happy with my decision. I FEEL thinner, even if I am not. I like the look in my bras, as well as clothes. No one has "noticed" or if they have, they at least have the sense to keep quiet. I even like my look naked! The shape continues to evolve, but just a bit. I think there may have been a bit more swelling present than I realized as my right breast is less full (which is fine) and its shape is more like the left breast. I still haven't tried on all the swim suits I bought last summer before my explant decision, and we have a trip scheduled in six weeks. Still going to wait to do that. But all in all, this was a great decision for me. I think I had a good result. Everyone's results are different and I think it remains a mystery how we all turn out after the removal. I think, unfortunately, it is just a chance we have to take if we want to be "normal" again. So good luck to all you future explanters. I do know one thing, It does not seem to usually be as bad afterwards as some of the surgeons would like us to believe!
!

It has been about 5 months since my explant, so I...

It has been about 5 months since my explant, so I thought I should post one last set of pictures. They really do not look much different than the last pictures. I think they are as settled in as they are going to get, and I am quite pleased. To anyone who has a plastic surgeon who is skeptical that your result will not be what you hope, my only advice is you won't know until you try. Everyone is different. Our breast shapes are all different. I believe that has a lot to do with what the post implant removal result will be. I was never very big in the first place, but I think I am actually a little bigger now. Age and weight gain! Any way, I am comfortable with my result, like the way I feel and look, and can now happily hug my family and friends without feeling a ball against my chest. Priceless! So, good luck to all you future explanting women. If you are unhappy with your implants, you will probably be extremely happy with your body and self after you get them out! Go for it!

Still Very Happy

It has been 10 months since my explant, and I want to say to all you ladies contemplating removal, that I am still very, very happy with my decision to remove the implants as well as the results. I feel AUTHENTIC

Still Very Happy

It has been 10 months since my explant and I want to say to all you ladies contemplating removal, that I am still very, very happy with my decision to remove the implants as well as the results. I feel AUTHENTIC again. Sometimes I don't know why I was so afraid to get them out, but it all worked out for me. I wish all you future explanters as good of results as I had!

He is a surgeon who worked at the hospital I worked at as an outpatient surgery pre/post-op nurse. He also did my exchange 5 years ago.

I've had my implants for 26 years. Although they look fine, I've had a lot of symptoms and misdiagnosis for problems that are like those of fibromyalgia, rheumatism, chronic fatigue, pain in one arm and in my neck. After doing some online research, I have decided that the old implants are more than likely ruptured or leaking and this could explain a lot of the symptoms. So thankful to you posting your experience. I have decided that it is definitely time to have them removed. Now to find the right doctor for the job!
Beautiful!
Fabulous results! Way to inspire us :)
Looking GREAT girlie!
You look amazing! :)
Oh and BTW you look fabulous!!
What kind of implants did you have? Were they silicone textured..or saline? Thanks xx
I am not sure what my first ones were (had them replaced 4-5 years ago), but my second ones were textured silicone by Mentor.
You look great, Mel! It's good to hear how we'll you're doing!
You look wonderful - I hope mine will look half as good and I will be thrilled. I am 68 and have had my implants for 32 years. My husband of course knew, but the rest of the family (not everyone of course) is just finding out as it's hard to keep this next surgery a secret. Interesting how people react - surprise to say the least! lol
"BTJM", My family also did not know, except for my mother. We live with no family near by and the kids are married and not near here. Since I have had them removed, I have been waiting for someone to say something about my appearance, be it the bridge group, golf group. kids, or rest of family! No one has said a word. They are either very politically correct, or I was more conscious of my look than any one els
Mel, your results are drastic enough that people HAVE to have noticed, don't they? How, exactly, does one inquire about reduced breast size? I think they're being politically/socially correct. I have had comment after comment after comment...but I've lost 30 lb, and I think people's thoughts are that I "sure lost a bunch of it in my boobs." So their comments aren't ever about my breasts per se, but about the weight loss, as their eyes focus on my breasts! I have a cousin who looks a LOT smaller suddenly, and her response to me was that she updated her bras so they all fit better, now. Maybe she got explanted, too! But I share that to say we all have an easy reply if people do ask, because we DO have new bras. =)
Aftermath, I do like the comment about the new bras. I have actually thought of that myself, as some bras can make one look huge! And exercise bras seem to flatten! The bra response is my back up plan!
so natural and beautiful :)
You look terrific!!!! You will be a complete hottie in your bathing suit! :)
You look wonderful! If my boobs will change into anything near yours I will be thrilled!
You look wonderful! Can you feel the capsules at all? My dr. doesn't want to remove the capsules either, but I have CC in one side.
I did not feel the capsules, though the right breast ( the one which had a bit more capsule) was a bit fuller than the left, though not enough to make a big difference. My surgeon's theory was it could do more harm to remove the capsules if they were thin and not calcified, which mine were not. It also preserved breast tissue.
I agree with your husband that you don't need a lift. You look great.
Did your ps just remove or did you get an internal lift. They look lifted.
No, I just had the implants removed. My research and my PS recommended waiting 6 months to see how they turn out before deciding on a lift. They actually look best when I remove the sport bra. I guess the bra actually compresses more than I realize, as yesterday I wore a basic bra all day, and when I took it off they looked wide to me and not as well shaped. But I guess I can't expect any better since the skin and breast were stretched out for 24 years! My husband does not feel I will need a lift, nor does he want me to have one. He does not really like the lifted look. I think he likes the more natural me now that it is "back"!
Thank you for sharing. I hope I look as good as you.
You look lovely! I would of never guessed you were in your 50's.:) You have fantastic DNA! Xoxox
Those are come nice looking boobs! I think the look much better than with implants! Do you know what size your implants were?
"some" nice looking boobs!