Bon Voyage Everyone

I am 46 years old and I have been wanting to do...

I am 46 years old and I have been wanting to do this for about 18 years now. I had to have surgery twice when I was in my early 20's to have ovarian cyst removed. I started noticing after that surgery that a little pouch had formed across my low belly above the incision. I figured in time it would go away, it didn't. In fact, over the years it has gotten bigger.

Six years ago I went through a tough divorce and I picked up a lot of weight. On January 8, that all changed. I finally made up my mind to get the weight off. I promised myself when I got within 10 pounds of my goal, I was going to get a tummy tuck to get rid of that roll that I hated.

I have lost 40 pounds and I feel great, except I still can't stand that jelly roll. Well, now it's time for my prize. I met with my PS and I think I'm ready to go for it.

I've been reading a lot about tummy tucks because I wanted to educate myself as much as possible. I stumbled across this site and I'm so glad I did. It has been extremely helpful. It has made me scared and nervous and has also given me hope, strength and encouragement.

I do have a question for you other tummy tuckers. I was not able to have children so I never had a baby. Do you think this procedure might be a little easier on me since I've never had kids. I'm getting a full tummy tuck with some lipo to belly (aka - my jelly roll) and flanks and probably some minimal repairs to my abdominal wall.

I would love to hear from someone who had a tummy tuck with lipo and never had kids.

Thanks for the comments on my blog. Congrats on yr weight loss! I love that you decided you were going to reward yrself. Especially after to tough divorce. Please post some pics so we can see yr before & afters.
I read some posts from women who never had children, I think the only difference is that your ab muscles may not be as separated as some of ours, but then, that depends on the weight gain/loss. Are you having muscle repair? That can be the uncomfortable part. Although lipo keeps you sore too. But, it's not so bad you can't bear it, unless you have a low tolerance for pain. Then just load up on pain meds. :) I am sure your ps can give you more specific answers. Good luck~ You deserve this. :)

Welcome to RealSelf!  I am very happy you found us.

You will find amazing support in this community and all of the ladies will cheer you on while you go through your process.

I think it is wonderful that you are doing this for yourself and I just know you will feel amazing.

I am really not sure if having had a child or not makes any difference.   It's a surgical procedure and I think the same pain and healing apply either way.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Great, I went to my family doctor today to have a...

Great, I went to my family doctor today to have a physical to clear me for surgery. I picked up "Shape" magazine to read while I was waiting and what was the first article I see when I open the magazine? An article on liposuction and you better "think twice about going under the knife." OMG, my mind started going crazy on me. I started wondering if this was a message from God telling me not to do this. It was just too weird. I really started second guessing myself.

Needless to say, when I got home I called somebody I know who had a TT and Lipo done 3 years ago and talked this out with her. Feeling much better now. Uggg, this process is mentally draining.

Will post pictures soon.

The nerves and second guessing yourself are normal and do stay away from Magazines and Negative comments :) You will be thrilled once you see your beautiful flat tummy :) Best Wishes x
You may also want to ask you PS if you even need lipo as maybe with skin removal maybe enough, it was in my case at least. I did have muscle repair, I do have kiddos. So far I am pleased with the results and recovery has been pretty good. Just a thought
So Deserving: Okay, if that was a sign, how about this one: I went in to my regular dr. for my clearance letter/checkup and when she found out why I needed it, she was like: "Oh my gosh, I can't believe you came in to see me today, I have been thinking about getting this done for years, I have even consulted with PS's! I can't wait to hear all about it and see your results" So, I took it as a confirmation! LOL>
I remember a few years back, my Dermatologist told me she would never have lipo,as she felt it was just too risky. I have to admit, that made me stop and think. But, when I made the decision to get the tummy tuck, if I am going to get the t/t with muscle repair and the PS recommended lipo, I did not even think twice about it. It hurts a little soreness wise, and it looks bad with bruising, but I am 16 days post op now and all the bruising is gone, just tender to touch. Make sure your surgeon is great and do what they say and I am sure you will be just fine.

I have had allergy problems with pain meds in the...

I have had allergy problems with pain meds in the past, especially morphine. PS wants me to try taking a percocet (before surgery) so we will know if I'm going to have an allergic reaction to it. I just took it and I am praying that I'm okay with it. Please don't let me be allergic to it. Eleven days and counting.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Woo Hoo...I did good with the Percocet I took last...

Woo Hoo...I did good with the Percocet I took last night. Had a little bit of itching but it was minimal. Didn't seem to upset my stomach at all. I had such a bad experience with morphine years ago. It made me itch soooo bad that it was worse then the surgery. When the nurse told me I was having an allergic reaction to it, they started giving me shots of Benadryl. Percocet has bothered me in the past (years ago) but last night it was okay. I am so relieved and feeling much better about things. Monday I have my last pre-op appt with my PS. Counting down the days.....

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

One week from tomorrow, at this time, I will be in...

One week from tomorrow, at this time, I will be in my hospital bed (hopefully not in too much pain)and the recovery phase will have begun. I can't believe how excited I am.

Today I had my last pre-op appointment. I really like my PS and feel so comfortable with him and his staff. I was told that the hospital I am having my surgery at is top notch and very nice. I will be in a private room and my nurse will only be taking care of me and maybe one other person. I will only be there for one night.

I am going to have two drains and they showed me today how to "milk" them. I also got a chart I need to fill in every time I empty them. This part of the recovery is going to be interesting. Got my binder too.

Let the countdown begin!!

I know you are excited, it's almost time! I am one month post op tomorrow! The time has really flown, of course, I did sleep alot that first week! :) I find it interesting you already have a binder, do they want you to bring it on surgery day? I never saw mine until I woke up and they had me all tucked inside it!
Yes, I was told to bring it with me to the hospital on surgery day. I live alone so after I get discharged from the hospital the following morning, my boyfriend is going to pick me up and take me to my parents house. I am going to stay with them for a week. I don't want my boyfriend to take off from work because we are supposed to be going on a cruise the middle of October so he needs to take that week off instead. BF lives close to my parents so at least he will be able to spend some time with me in the evenings. I wasn't sure I would be ready to go on the cruise but PS feels pretty confident I will be ready. We will see. I got the travel insurance so if I can't go, it will be okay. We will just reschedule it.

So today I was standing in line at the pot-belly...

So today I was standing in line at the pot-belly sandwich shop (oh my, LOL, that name just took on a whole new meaning)thinking about one week from today, at that time, I would be in my hospital bed starting my recovery. All of the sudden the floor felt like it was moving. I'm looking around thinking I've lost my mind. I wasn't losing my mind, it was an earthquake. Then the place really started shaking and I fell into the counter. I live in Virginia, we don't get earthquakes here. If I had had my surgery today, I would have thought I was hallucinating. And Ouch, that would have probably hurt. What a day.

OMG I heard about that on the news....crazy!

You do have someone with you the first night don't you? You will HAVE to have someone, there is no way you can get up on your own and walk to the bathroom and take all the meds ontime. Good luck! :)
The first night I will be in the hospital. Then after that I will be with my Dad and step-mom. My step-mom is so amazing. She and my dad are both retired so one of them will always be with me. Their house is one level so that will be nice. I plan on sleeping in this recliner chair they have and my stepmom told me she is going to sleep in the other chair so if I need help through the night, she will be right there to help me. She is afraid she won't hear me if she is in the bedroom. She is so sweet. My dad just went out and bought walkie talkies so I can also radio for help. They are so funny.

Wow, I can't believe I only have 5 more days, and...

Wow, I can't believe I only have 5 more days, and I am so calm. I know the reason I'm calm is because of all the wonderful people on this site. I feel so ready for my TT because of all the great advise given. Thank You!

I got the nicest letter from my PS's office today. They have been fantastic. They sent me something to give to my "caretaker." It talks about what they should expect and how they can help me. It also provides information on how they can get in touch with the doctor 24 hours a day. This is really helpful and good information. I just keep feeling better and better about my upcoming procedure.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Uggg, I only have three more days and I have been...

Uggg, I only have three more days and I have been feeling so relaxed and excited and now I'm stressed and need to vent. Mother Nature is the cause. First there was the earthquake and now Hurrican Irene. I am a police officer and live in the path of Hurricane Irene. I was supposed to be off today and tomorrow, working Monday, then surgery Tuesday. I was going to spend this weekend getting ready. I have a lot to do. Now I have been called back to work. I have to head to work this evening, they are putting us up at a hotel and be ready to hit the street at 0600 hours tomorrow morning. I will work a 12 hour shift, come home to get some sleep to just turn around and head back to work the next morning (Monday). This stinks. I would love to take off on Monday but I just don't see how I can. I have a couple really serious cases right now at work that I'm trying to get wrapped up before my surgery, and we are moving into a new building the day after I get back so I have had to pack my office. I'm 90% packed but still need to finish the last minute things I need up until I leave Monday afternoon.

Right now I'm doing laundry so that will be done. I have brought all the outdoor deck furniture in so the wind doesn't blow it away. I am going to pack up everything I need for the night tonight at work. Then I'm going to get everything packed that I need to take to my Mom and Dads which is where I'm staying the week after surgery. On my way to work tonight, I will drop my dog off at their house along with everything I'll need next week (my clothes, meds, etc). When I get off work tomorrow evening I will go back to their house and pick up my dog (who is my baby by the way), come home and get all my bills paid for September. My sister and niece will be taking care of my dog while I'm recovering because I can't take a chance of her jumping up on me because she weighs 50 lbs. Packing up the stuff the dog will need shouldn't take me too long.

I am soooooo stressed but trying to look at the bright side. Next week while I'm recovering, the weather is supposed to be wonderful. My parents have a beautiful backyard so maybe I can spend a little time outside getting some fresh air and even though I will be very sore and uncomfortable, I will be able to relax, I hope.

Hurricane Irene, this is very bad timing on your part.

i am scheduled for aug 30th too! I hope everything gets better over there. Good luck on your surgrey. I hope you have a safe speedy recovery.
Good Luck to you too!! What time is your surgery? I have to be at the hospital at 6:00am and my surgery is at 7:30am.

Hurricane Irene has come and gone and now I am exhausted. It's been a long 24 hours. I just need to get through work tomorrow and then it's "all about me" for a couple weeks. Uhhhhh, that sounds wonderful.

Yes, that is a good thing.   Stay safe!

Getting ready to go to bed. Tomorrow is my big day...

Getting ready to go to bed. Tomorrow is my big day. I have to be at the hospital at 6:00 am. Can't wait to be on "the other side." I won't be able to send updates until I get back home. My parents don't have internet. I'll be back in a week, hopefully.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

I can't believe I'm 5 days post-op. Have been at...

I can't believe I'm 5 days post-op. Have been at my parents since getting out of the hospital on Wednesday. They don't have internet so was going through a little computer withdrawals. Mom woke up this morning and sounded like she was coming down with a cold so I had my dad bring me home. My parents have been an absolute blessing. I have to say, I'm doing GREAT!! Surgery went very well on Tuesday, Aug 30th. I couldn't be more pleased with my progress. I must say though, staying in the hospital one night helped me tremendously. The nursing staff was fabulous. Was discharged early Wednesday and went straight to my parents. Slept a lot the first two days. Had my first BM at 3:00 AM on Saturday and it went much better then expected. I just sat there for about 20 minutes and let my body work. Wasn't painful at all. I have been able to get by with mostly Tylenol. The worst thing for me so far is the back pain. I also hate the drains. Dr. told me on Friday he would take them out when I see him this Tuesday. I am so afraid that is going to hurt. I'm going to take two pain killers before I go in.

I hope everyone else is doing well. I will post more later. Feeling tired so going to take a little nap.

Awesome! Good for you and you are smart to take the meds before you go to get your drains out. I already had 1 taken out last Thurs and it didn't hurt but I did take meds just so that I wouldnt care...you know?! Anyways I am one day ahead of you (Aug 29). That's funny, I haven't stayed with my parents but my mom on Fri/Sat was starting to come down with a little something also and while she was here "watching" me (hubby&kids were out) I was like umm if you think that you are getting sick then let me know because that is the LAST thing I need right now lol! I have already coughed, sneezed, laughed, blown my nose, and cried and it ALL hurts! I don't need an infection to cause any of those things on purpose! Woooo scary stuff. Glad that you're doing so great :)

Had my one week appointment today and every thing...

Had my one week appointment today and every thing is looking good. I got my drains out and what a difference. It feels so good to have those things out. I took two pain killers before I went to the PS and I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised on how quick and easy it was. Didn't really feel a thing. I also got my stitches out of my BB. It is still very numb so didn't feel that either.

I am now sporting the next phase of garment wear and I must say on a scale of 1-10, 10 being very sexy, it's a one, LOL.

I continue to do well and I'm very pleased with my progress. I have been very lucky and have not experienced much pain with this at all. This has not been nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Hang in there my fellow tummy tuckers!

Will post new pictures soon.

You are doing great!  Keep up the good work.

I have a question for everyone. I noticed while...

I have a question for everyone. I noticed while reading some posts today that it seemed like a lot of ladies didn't get their stitches out of their BB until around the 2 week mark. My BB stitches were taken out after one week. Anyone else get their BB stitches out after one week?

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

I just posted pictures I took 8 days post-op. Had...

I just posted pictures I took 8 days post-op. Had a little bit of swelling going on but I know that's normal. My compression garment gets tighter and tighter as the day goes on because of the swelling.

So Deserving, you look great, the bruising is not very bad either. Hope you are feeling okay. :)
I think I got mine out around 10 days, it all seems like a blur now! I would have to check my blog to see! Don't fret, just remember, you trusted your ps with the procedure, they all do things differently, it doesn't mean one way is better, it's more of a preference. :)

I had my two week follow-up appt today with my PS....

I had my two week follow-up appt today with my PS. He and I both are very pleased with my progress. Things are looking good. Having some swelling of course but that's just part of the process. Even with the swelling, I still love my new tummy.

PS has cleared me to go back to work but because of my job, I will have to be on light duty. I'm okay with it because I honestly can't imagine getting into a foot pursuit and chasing a bad guy right now.

Hope everyone else is doing well.

You are looking beautiful!

Yayyy! That's so good! You know what to do and seem to be right on track. Wow, you must be/and SHOULD be so proud of yourself! :)
Hi Marinemom, I am SO HAPPY with my progress and the outcome so far. I walk around feeling like a million bucks and I'm only 16 days post-op. If I feel this way now, I can't even imagine what I'm going to look like when the healing is finished and the swelling is gone. This is so exciting.

I am all smiles this morning. I feel like a little...

I am all smiles this morning. I feel like a little kid. My 20 year old niece called me this morning and asked if she could stop by. She has a key to my house so she just let herself in. I come walking down the stairs and she says, "oh wow, you look so skinny. You are smaller then me." Thank you my sweet beautiful niece (smiles).

You look amazing... What a life changing experience this is and isn't it wonderful that we have these options and opportunities?

I am 3 weeks and 2 days post-op today. This is my...

I am 3 weeks and 2 days post-op today. This is my first week back to work since surgery (took 3 weeks off) and it has been a rough one.

My first couple of weeks went pleasantly well and I didn't have any problems. The pain was minimal and after the 3rd day, I was able to control it with Tylenol (most of the time).

This week I have been really uncomfortable. I hope I didn't screw something up. On Sunday (19 days post-op), I was feeling good and my grass needed cut. I live alone and really didn't want to bother anyone so I decided to try and do it myself. I was very careful starting the lawn mower and was mostly able to do it with arm strength. I stopped the lawn mower to empty the bag and then had trouble starting the mower again. After trying a few times, I finally called my neighbor who came over and finished the yard for me. I was really hurting that night and was so mad at myself for doing what I did.

I'm trying to figure out if the pain I'm experiencing now is because of the lawn mower or if it's because I may have entered a new phase of recovery/healing. I think if I had really damaged something I would have felt some kind of instant pull or pain when starting the mower/cutting grass/emptying bag, but I didn't. The pain got worse as the day went on.

I've had some burning going on in my flank area (had lipo done there) and the internal area behind my BB has really been hurting. The swelling is not fun either. As the day goes on, the swelling gets worse. My tummy also feels really hard. I hate these little jabs of pain that get you when your least expecting it.

Is it possible that as the numbness starts to decrease a little, you just start to feel more aches and pains? I hope it wasn't the lawn mower, Ugggg!

Yea, SoDeserving, maybe we will feel better at six months, I am using that as my benchmark month! I am only 2months out and overall it's still the best thing I have done, now I need to eat better! :)
Lord, I'm not even a month out. I'm hoping at the 6 month mark I'm good to go too.
So deserving, I am SHOCKED at the pain I still feel from the lipo. Nothing at all from the tt, but my flanks are so sore. Wait until you have an itch, scratch it but can't tell if you got it b/c of the numbness!

I decided to take off from work today because I've...

I decided to take off from work today because I've had a little bit of painful week. I am so happy I did. I stayed off my feet today and rested in my recliner and what a big difference. I was actually comfortable and mostly pain free today. I am going to take it easy this weekend.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

I had my 4 week follow-up with my PS today and I'm...

I had my 4 week follow-up with my PS today and I'm doing great. I can't believe how good my incision looks. He usually has his patients start putting something on their incisions at this point but mine is looking so good he wants me to leave it alone. I have the normal swelling, twinges, etc. going on but otherwise I'm doing great. PS said it was okay if I wanted to start working out my arms with light weights. Two more weeks and I can start using my eliptical and treadmill. I will try and update my pictures this weekend, if swelling is down.

I'm going on a cruise in two weeks. I really didn't think I'd be ready and was prepared to cancel it (I got travel insurance) but it looks like we are going. I can only wear a one piece bathing suit (and still have to cover my tummy with sunscreen) per my PS. Otherwise he told me to have a great time. Woo Hoo!!

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

I just posted 4 week post-op pictures I took this...

I just posted 4 week post-op pictures I took this morning. I don't like the swelling in my BB right now but my PS said that will go away. I was also thinking my BB was off center a little but started laughing when I looked at my before picture because it's off center there too. I'm fine with that, it's my own little trade mark.

YOUR WELCOME AND THATS ALL THAT MATTERS THAT YOU FEEL LIKE A NEW PERSON!
you look awesome! love love love your results!
Thank you so much. I am very happy with my results. I feel like a new person.

My new body and I are leaving on a 7-night cruise...

My new body and I are leaving on a 7-night cruise tomorrow. For the first time since I can remember, I had so much fun packing. It's so much fun wearing cute clothes now. I am so excited. My PS wants me to stick with a one-piece bathing suit since I'm only 5 1/2 weeks post-op. He also wants me to keep sunscreen all over my tummy. He want's me to protect my incision from the sun's rays. He said use a sunscreen for babies that has zinc in it. Good Luck to all of you who will be having your surgery this coming up week. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

You look great, we have the same doctor.My surgery is on 28th FEB 2012.
HAVE FUN THE BOTH OF YOU! YOU LOOK GREAT!
You look awesome..even ur BB is tinier :)
Annandale Plastic Surgeon