The Worst Mistake of My Life That Doesn't Go Away - Midlothian, VA

I stupidly had I-braces put on my front upper and...

I stupidly had I-braces put on my front upper and lower teeth. All I wanted was two lower teeth straightened and one upper canine moved forward a bit. $5,500 for twelve teeth. I didn't need the upper teeth done at all except for that aforementioned one, but the "orthodontist" claimed it had to be done so the bite would be correct. What a crock. I had this life-depleting horror done in August of 2008; developed a speech impediment which I still have, and these Dr. Mengelian torture devices were removed (the upper unnecessary ones) almost two years ago; my front two upper teeth are always hurting and feel too tight; I feel like they're now protruding and friends and relatives agree; and I feel like I'm oversalivating. As a result, I have to take nerve pain meds to get through life as a zombie.

Please don't let any orthodontists claim that they know what they're doing with lingual braces -- they're horrible and will ruin your life.

Check out your orthodontist thoroughly (Litigation? Complaints on line? Complaints to a state medical board?) and never succumb to lingual braces. There's a reason why few people undergo this horror -- there are few experienced orthodontists, if any, who know what they're doing with lingual braces. The one I stupidly chose should not be allowed to ruin one more person's life. Not only did I spend a small fortune for misery that doesn't stop except with zombie-producing nerve pain meds, but relatives and friends as well as I know my teeth looked better before this malpractice.