54 Yr Old Mother of 2 Grown Children Finally Ready to Loose Belly Roll. - Virginia Beach, VA

3 years ago I lost 35 pounds over a year's time. I...

3 years ago I lost 35 pounds over a year's time. I also worked with a personal trainer in a small group training program for 2 1/2 years. No matter how strong and firm I got I couldn't lose my spare tire. I finally came to realize the only way to get rid of it is a tummy tuck. So I'm on my way... I am scheduled for my tummy tuck and lipo in 6 weeks. After researching and talking with friends who have had the procedure, I decided on Dr. Richard Rosenblum. He has excellent credentials and I have a reference from another client of his who was very happy with her results and her experience.

Before pictures ....uggh...

Well I finally took my before pictures and wow are they awful! This just solidifies my resolve to get through this! I have been reading all of your stories for months and it helps so much to hear about everyone's experiences. I am nervous, but I just have to go ahead and get it done. It seems everyone has a different recovery so I'm not going to truly know what to expect until I'm there. I had abdominal surgery 2 1/2 years ago and did well recovering (although I was in a hospital on a dilaudid pump for a week). I'm hoping that's a good sign:-]

I posted pictures of me in under wear, jeans, and a bathing suit so I can compare myself after. Hope I'm pleased!! You guys will have to check back in a few months. (finger's crossed....)

I also thought I should give you some more personal info. I have been married to the same sweet, wonderful man for 32 years, I have 2 adult children, am 5 feet 4 , 165 lbs. I would like to loose another 5-7 lbs before my surgery on Oct 10. I've been real strict about my diet and keeping active. Trying to keep my mind off of this until time is here. Any suggestions about what I need is welcomed. I am going to order a hospital bed to put in living room until I can sleep in my bed. It seems the simplest way to get in and out of bed while recuperating and several of you gals have recommended it. It is also close to bathroom and kitchen, and the tv and dvr. Oh boy, I wish this would hurry up and be over....

Sorry to ramble...Take care ladies, and anyone else who is on my timeline send me note. We can do this together!

Can't stop thinking about surgery....

So does anybody else find themselves obsessing about your surgery date???
I still have 5 weeks but I cannot get it off my mind! Today I went to Target and got a couple of "wife beaters" on the clearance rack, and a zip up hoody to wear home from surgery. Many of you have suggested these items and seems like good advice...I'm waiting for my pre-op appointment to get remaining items...will follow their suggestions. I would love any suggestions from those who have been through this...what you guys found helpful!

I really wish I could do this sooner. now that I have mentally committed myself, I would like to get going. Sooner the surgery is done...sooner I will recover!
Also, anyone who rented a hospital bed...how much did it run?

Take care everyone, and have a great weekend!

Pre op appointment yesterday....10 more days till surgery!

I went to my pre-op appointment yesterday and now I just have to wait 10 more days. I'm nervous, but also really want this to be over.
They gave me all my prescriptions, and my directions for before and after surgery. Thanks to all your great reviews I kind of knew what to expect. They sent me to a shop where I was fitted for a custom cg...from shoulders to knees! The thing I'm most worried about is going to the bathroom (opening in crotch) !
Do any of you girls have any experience with one of these? There is no way I will be able to remove it to go to toilet. Really nervous about having a BM (sorry..tmi)

Next week I will have hospital bed delivered, get prescriptions filled, shop for essentials and generally obsess about getting every little task completed. I know I won't be able to do much for a while so my list just gets longer!

Well, take care ladies! till next time!

2 days post op

Well, I made it through surgery. Everything went well and no problems. Felt pretty good until middle of the night and pain really kicked in. Every 90 minutes or so I would have to go to the bathroom and with my hubbies help getting in and out of bed I could make it to potty by myself. But it hurt! I am using the walker and it helps a lot. Yesterday, was day 2 post op and it was the worst overall. I am taking a 12 hour time release combo of percoset and acitomenophen and it seems to stop working around 10 hours. Things turned around overnight as I was able to get up and out of bed without assistance and pain is easing up. A lot of the pain has been back pain. It's like having trigger points in your back while having to bend over with searing abdominal pain.

Today has been much better and I feel I may have turned a corner. So far it has been about what I expected it would be. I hope it just keeps getting better each day.

Oh, forgot to mention..had a fever last night if 101.5. Doc said to do some deep breathing periodically. I think all the pain was causing me to breathe very shallow. It did the trick.

Drains out!!!

Sorry I haven't updated lately. I'll try to be more consistent:-]
I have to say , I have had a very good recovery. Although the first 3 days were painful when getting up and around , each day I saw improvement and it was temporary. Went to see the surgeon for my first post op appointment. He took off the cg and all the extra bandages and I was shocked at how trim and firm I was! He was concerned that my cg was way too tight and had me just wear really snug yoga pants until my appointment the following week. Drains still in. He also told me to start walking as straight as I comfortably could. I felt so good walking out upright!

Over the next few days I was up and about much more. The very worst part was trying to have bm. Eventually this resolved itself, but it was not fun. That pain medicine really locks you up. And speaking of pain meds...No more since day 4 post op. Just taking tylenol, when needed.

Today is day 12 post op and feel really good. Yesterday the drains came out. Doc told me I could shower and to keep wearing the yoga pants. No cg so far.

As far as swelling goes, so far I haven't had it too bad. The first week I noticed a lot at night, but by morning it's back to normal. We'll see how it goes now that the drains are out. Hopefully it won't be too bad, but I'm realistic enough to know it's going to happen.

I'm still using the hospital bed because it's so much easier to get in and out of. Tried sleeping in bed a couple of nights ago, but wasn't comfy. Tried sofa last night, but still difficult to get up. It would be nice to return that thing. Hopefully not too much longer...

I will get some pix and post them soon. Best of luck to all of you out there recovering!

pictures

I finally got some after pictures. Did the best I could, but it's hard to do by yourself. I still have some swelling in the front above my bb and to the left but I know that will go away in time.

Finally sleeping in the bed and although it's not super comfy, at least I can sleep on my side. Sending the hospital bed back!! Glad to be getting my house back to normal...don't get me wrong, It was absolutely a lifesaver, but I want my living room back to it's old self:-)

It seems like some of the feeling is returning at the incision. I can sense it more and it feels like it's pulling. I'm standing straighter more often too. Still have the tape over incision, but my bb looks good and has a nice shape, although it's still runny. Doc says all looks great! He's happy with results so far and so am I!

5 weeks and feeling better!

I am 5 weeks out and am really starting to feel like my old self. My ps hasn't cleared me yet for exercise and such so I'm struggling with not over doing it. I've learned my lesson with that...If you do too much your body will rebel with outrageous swelling!! And speaking of swelling...I now know what swell hell is. You guys weren't kidding about that. I have had to resign myself to the fact that I won't see my ultimate results for a while. On the plus side, I can wear my pre surgery jeans and can definitely see a change in how they fit.

The doctor recommended I have massages twice a week for 3 weeks and it has really helped. She started out massaging my flanks where I had lipo. I had noticed some uneven areas, but it's definitely getting better. There is still some swelling which wasn't there when he first took off all the packing and bandages at my first appointment. I 'm hoping that it will go away as the area heals and swelling ultimately subsides. I've been to three massage sessions and now she is working on my incision too. I am really pleased with how it looks and the massage has softened some lumpy areas. It's weird but I have swelling just above my bb and to the left. It also looks like my left thigh is slightly bigger than my right. I didn't have any lipo done there, but its sore from the "pulling up" to the incision. I did have some swelling there initially. Another thing I noticed is how much bigger my thighs look now that my mid section is so small...AARRGH!! Oh well, I just have to work harder to get them smaller.

The only other issue is my bb. It still has a scab on it, but I'm putting peroxide on it 2x a day and it isn't sore. Hope it falls off soon! Aside from that, I love the shape of it. Also massaging my incision 2x a day with cocoa butter. It looks really good:-}

I'll try to get some pix up soon. Just hate taking pictures when I'm swollen.
Here's hoping the swelling gets better!
Norfolk Plastic Surgeon