I Think I'm Finally out of the HELL After 13 Years - Virginia Beach, VA

In 1998 I had botched blephraplasty. I had...

In 1998 I had botched blephraplasty. I had big,round eyes instead of my almond shape. All the Michgan doctors said there was no way to fix it. I was suicidal!! I'M NOT KIDDING.

I looked in the book "Best Doctors in America" and found an eyelid specialist-plastic surgeon in Virginia Beach, who did a levator lengthening,(cuts the muscle that opens and closes your eyes so it drops down the lid.) It really helped a lot. I just went back to get filler + botox to help the expression when I smiled. I should have gone back to him sooner to fix that but I got so overwelmed by this problem and choose to wear my glasses because I couldn't deal with it anymore. I didn't think anything could fix the problem.

I can honestly say on June 25, 2011, I look like myself again!!! It has been a LONG journey. I never thought I would ever be able to say: I don't look like a freak anymore.

I would recommend 3 things: a doctor "Y" in Boston LOWERED a girl's brow ( a reverse brow lift) on this botched plastic surgery show and she looked good. I would have looked into that 1st

2) levator lengthening ONLY with Dr. C in Va because it is risky surgery in the wrong hands or

3) fillers like restylane, again I'd only go to Dr. C (or someone top notch) for that because it's needles close to the eye. Try the fillers first, then go more invasive until you find a solution.

GO TO ONLY THE BEST DOCTORS-PROBABLY OUT OF STATE. Don't give up. IT IS POSSIBLE TO LOOK LIKE YOURSELF AGAIN- THERE IS HOPE TO GET BACK THE ALMOND SHAPE AGAIN!!!

Thanks for reponding to my message, Quno. You were very nice to do that considering how little information I shed on the subject. I am truly amazed at how knowledgable you are- I learned more from clicking on your site for a few minutes than anything I've gleaned in the past 15 years. I'm very sorry about what has happened to you. Doing the USA doctor rounds is the best way to advocate for yourself, but emotionally depleting when you are confronting the beast, so take care.
Just reading what Pamela Rosen, MD had to say about fat removal actually gave me a brand new way of seeing my face. I had the lypo back in 99'- can't tell you what kind, or what the original fat amount was- but I actually see now the lypo left me with the groves, indentations, or "depressions" Dr Rosen and others have referred to and they are just as unsightly as the fat was, and when the doctor restylaned the area later, it just went back to looking like the original problem - a big pack of Restylane now instead of fat.
I'm starting to think that Dr C might be right- he does very delicate surgery on the eye muscle, I mean you have to be so precise when you cut the delicate eye muscle, and it's possible if he was as delicate and precise in a controlled application of Restylane into the depressions, it MIGHT make it look better. I think it's the best place to start- there's also a couple little pockets where the fat was and a lot of little wrinkling- essentially, I think it's going to be best improved by FX lasher treatments and Restylane and I think in the right Doc's hands it might be greatly improved- but I don't think it will ever be perfect. I could live with imperfection that whispers instead of SHOUTS. I guess I'm fortunate I can start with a reversible option like Restyane and go from there, instead of your scary fat removal options but I'm actually dealing with the scary result everyone else is fearing, the depressions etc. so lucky me.
Quno, would you be open to my sending you pictures of my situation on your private e-mail? There are things I'd like to show and say I wouldn't want to do on a public forum. Thanks again. I may post a picture and question on Real Self about post-lipo complications til then.
Hey Danielle,
Thanks for the fat removing advice - everything that could potentially help is worth a shot! I would say that from my own research, smartlipo would be something to avoid for the face, and lipodissolve would work better for isolated areas of overfill. However, it cant really be controlled (as in, noone would know how much the fat would dissipate if injected into the face). If you go to my profile and read my ft review, then you can see a few things myself and others have mentioned, if you're interested. It does sound as though your problem is more "local" and could b managed quite well with fillers if dr carraway has suggested this.

Surgeons have been seeing a slew of overfilled patients for yrs now and are pretty reluctant to treat the issue. 1. They dont know how to (no training in this area), 2. There are a lot of risks. It's funny how they can stuff it in but can't take it out! Surgeons are aware of the problems they create in this way (most completely avoidable), but arent as forthcoming with practical solutions. Unfortunately, a lot seem to think "fat is fat" and don't have to live with it in their own faces, so don't realize that it's just a type of permanent filler and not a substitute for natural soft tissue thickness.

A bigger problem is that this is increasingly happening to the younger patient - 20s and 30s- who aren't at face lift age (where surgeons can see and extract the fat). So interest in non-invasive facial fat removal hasn't yet caught up with more conventional techniques. However, more and more are having this issue, so Drs are being forced through trial and error to find solutions for patients (like dr hoeing, who uses 5fu injections and has dedicated some of his practice to fighting the problems of scar and fat I have read).

Thanks so much for your tips on finding Drs though, a worthwhile strategy. Well I'm going to be going on an interview round in the US soon if my treatments (at home) don't work. All of them say different things about fat removal, it's really confusing at times and frustrating!

I'm really looking forward to seeing dr c if I can (depending on whether he recommends I come ) about my fat and brow. Will you be returning to him to upkeep with your fillers?

Very clever application of Botox and restylane for your eyes - it's quite amazing as I'd have never thought of that myself. Good at you had a brainstorming session with Dr C and got to the bottom
Restylane weighed the eye down and botox froze the muscle so the outer corners of my eyes couldn't fly up at a ridiculous angle when I laughed- I looked like a freak. It gave me a crazed look, like I was from an insane asylumn and wanted to kill someone. The R+B made it so the eye couldn't lift up like that.
I think the lypo did help some, I had it done in Detroit back in '99. I think it did remove fat but there are pockets where the fat is or was that makes the skin irregular that I want tightened. Dr C never saw the original situation when there was fat there. There were no synthetic fillers in 2000 when I spoke with DR C.
I had done some research on fat and came up with these things-NOW I HAVEN'T VERIFIED ANY OF THIS WITH A DOCTOR, it's just what I found on the Internet ( and that's what's good about a doctor like Dr Carraway you can run down the list of possibilites and he can say yes, no, yes, not good for your situation, too dangerous etc.) which is what I did when I was in his office the last time and I was asking him about fat transfer around my eyes. ( I settled on Restylane) I'm sure you'll probably dismiss each and every one of these options with a yawn- " We dismissed that option years ago, Danielle" but I'm just throwing out my modest little results from web surfing whenever I tried to grab the bull by the horns (usually after I'd seen myself in a mirror in a particulary harsh light)
1) Smart Lipo that melts fat- melts fat + tightens skin- can they do it on the face yet? (" 2 lasher wavelengths, one that melts the fat and the other that tighten the skin.") If not, isn't there hope they will soon? Is that what the girl had that you mentioned? "Laser assisted liposculpture is a new technique... MOST PROBABLY IN A FEW YEARS IT WILL SET THE TREND FOR BODY AND FACE REMODELING, AND IT IS SAFE, EFFICIENT, PREDICTABLE (I like that word "predictable") and easy to recover from." http//www.smartlipo.la- Also a website with the phone no 818-888-8042 says it can be used on the face.(Also see ezinearticle "Lasher-Lyposuction-Avoids-and-corrects-post-suction-bumps-lumps) You may have to hang in there til the technology catches up-but it may be on the horizon. There may be hope and sometimes you have to wait for it. Hope is everything.
2)This one is controversal, not FDA approved, but a Dr Barry Eppley, board certified, has used this LIPoDissolve, the injection of a fat-emulsifying chemical solution to dissolve very small amounts of fat. He's used it 150 times with good results. He has a daily blog on trends in plastic surgery www.exploreplasticsurgery.com I would proceed with caution on this one.
3) Find the very best doctors on the East and West Coasts- every major metropolitan area like New York and LA have these glossy regional magazines, and they will have cover stories. Ex: " Best Doctors in New York" Find out who the best plastic surgeons are, e-mail them, send pictures, get them interested in you, ask point blank questions, is this good, if you get a top person to be interested, they could be a fount of information. If we all got together who has this problem and as a group systematically did the country we could get to the bottom of this, you know? Or if we said here are 10 of us who have this problem we are banding together to get answers and it could get their attention, and who knows they all know each other, and they all attend conventions together and we could force this to get on their radar. Alot of these people do care about patients. By the way, when I reply to Quno, am I talking to one person or more than one? I keep thinking I'm talking to one person.
Danielle
Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

He's been a plastic surgeon for 40+ years- is an expert on eyelids- can tell you the real deal. Fixes other surgeons mistakes- world renowned at levator lenghtening. Very few doctors in the world can do this surgery.