Waiting for Breast Reduction Surgery - Victoria, BC

I'm 25 years old, and I've been considering a...

I'm 25 years old, and I've been considering a breast reduction since I was 17. I'm finally on a surgery wait list (I live in Canada) and hoping to have the surgery this summer.

Since I was 10, I've had huge boobs. I developed very quickly and was teased about it relentlessly for most of middle school. Luckily I went to a private school in high school where we wore uniforms that hid my figure, and the teasing mostly stopped. I've learned to dress to hide them, but I'm fairly active (running and yoga), so it has always bothered me.

I'm really excited to finally have smaller boobs, but also terrified of everything that could go wrong. My mom had breast cancer and a bilateral mastectomy. She has since had breast reconstruction, but during the whole process she endured lots of problems from pain to infection to being unhappy with the outcome. I'm terrified that I'll end up with a awful outcome and wishing that I'd never had the surgery.

My boobs are big, saggy and out of proportion with my body frame -- but is it worth it to have the surgery and risk all the potential complications? Infection, bad scarring, poor aesthetic result..?

I'm still undecided, but luckily I have a few months still before I'm expecting my surgery date to make my final decision.

I've had my initial consultation with the plastic surgeon, who has suggested the lollipop technique to reduce scarring and ensure optimal breast shape. I'll also be consulting with a general surgeon in a couple of weeks to discuss removal of axillary breast tissue in my armpit (AKA the armpit boob in my right armpit).

The two surgeons will be coordinating their OR time so that both procedures will be done under one anaesthesia.

I've been lurking on these message boards for years trying to decide if I want to go ahead with this procedure. Now that I'm on here, I can hardly believe it. I'm excited and terrified all at once. Looking forward to sharing my story and reading about yours as well! Thanks for reading.

So I saw the general surgeon today...

I had my consultation with the general surgeon today about the removal of the axillary breast tissue in my armpit. Bad news. She's basically 9 months pregnant and will be on maternity leave at the time my surgery is scheduled. So now I have to go back on the wait list to see another surgeon for the consultation. I'm just so frustrated now. I waited three months to see this surgeon! Why couldn't she have let my PS know when she received my referral letter that she wouldn't be able to take me on as a patient?! What a waste of time...

Before pics

Here are my before pictures. Hoping to get my surgery date this summer.

Finally close to getting a surgery date

After being promised a surgery date during spring/summer, and not hearing a word, it seems I'm finally one step closer. The surgeon's office told me today they're booking for September, so fingers crossed it actually happens.

Hi there. I am also in Canada (Halifax) and I waited almost 3 years for my initial consult. Once I had it, they sent my info in and I was approved within 3 weeks and had the surgery 6 weeks from the consult date. The last part all went very fast and here I am at 10 weeks post-op. I had a complication - a haematoma that required a second surgery - but even with that complication I would do it again in a heartbeat. Whatever decision you come to, I wish you the best!
Hey, I'm in Canada too. Ontario though and my wait time was super short although I delayed it due to scheduling conflict. I would say that it looks as though most lollipop techniques recover faster but don't get down as small in size. I don't think I saw any lollipop reviews that had complications. My mom had breast cancer too which was partially a driver in my decision for surgery. Smaller boobs = easier detection. I had my first surgery booked at 26 but chickened out. Back then they were still pretty and somewhat perky. One month after the cancellation I discovered I was pregnant. Had I had the surgery then, my life would have gone much different. I was fortunate to get the chance to breast feed and I'm sooo happy with that. But it wasn't a driver in my decision to cancel. I think you just have to trust your instincts about what's best. Your moms journey would have been plagued with all kinds of other emotions and concerns due to her illness. You are healthy and active and the risks are super low. At 35, I decided I was ready for a change. I seem to be of the few that didn't notice any immediate relief, but then my pain wasn't so bad. I went from DD/DDD38 to C38. Roughly 3lbs removed. Apparently I had pretty dense tissue. No side boobage though lol. Good luck with your decision. It's a lot to think about.
Good for you for starting this process. I totally know what you mean about the different outcomes and scary thoughts jumping around in your head. You can see from my review that I also dealt with problems for years and years. Luckily, I somehow got fast tracked through the program here in Saskatchewan and was three months from GP Consult to my surgery date. I am at one week post currently and I cannot even explain how amazing it was to get up the day after surgery and not feel that weight on my neck/back/shoulders. That alone was my personal moment of success. I've already experienced so many more in just this first week. I hope that things work out for your consults and that if you do decide to go forward with surgery that it is as fast as possible for you too!
What is the typical wait time for MSP BR surgery? I have already waited 6 months for my consultation, but I heard some people had the consult in a couple of months and surgery soon after. Also, has anyone here had any experience with Dr Paul Oxley (in Surrey, BC)?
I've been on a wait list for close to two years now. It sucks :( I saw the surgeon after about a year and six months. Now waiting for my surgery date, which is expected to be sometime this summer. That will bring my total wait time to 2 years.
And I should add, I specifically requested a surgeon with the shortest wait list. The surgeon I wanted to go to had a wait list of 4+ years, and his office staff recommended that I not even bother because it would like be closer to 6 years before I would get a consultation.
ok I dont understand why 2 surgeons.. my surgeon did the breast reduction and at the same time liposuction in the armpit to remove the breast tissue over there... as far for you to have the lollipop one I would not recommend it with the amount of tissue you want to have done.. did you consult with more than one surgeon?
My plastic surgeon said that the general surgeon has more expertise in removing the tissue in my armpit because they have more experience navigating the lymph nodes and nerves in that region. I don't believe this is going to be liposuction in the armpit. It's breast tissue that is quite deep in my armpit, not fatty tissue. My plastic surgeon actually said I was an ideal candidate for the lollipop technique. She trained with Dr. Elizabeth Hall-Findlay who actually popularized this technique. And I live in Canada, so I can't consult with more than one surgeon unless I have the surgery done privately. I've been on a wait list for two years to have a consultation with this surgeon so I would need to wait another two years if I wanted to see another surgeon. The cost of the surgery is about $8,000-$10,000 if done privately, but I've already qualified to have it paid for by MSP because it is medically necessary. I should clarify that my surgeon did seem confident in her abilities and I don't think she would intentionally botch the procedure. She said she has done many of these breast reductions and was able to list the risk and percentages of her patients who have developed any problems, like infection. I'm simply concerned that her fellowship training was in facial reconstructive surgery, and how much of a difference that makes when it comes to final results for the patient.
Ohh I did not mean she will botch you I was just curious about the armpit thing and the lollipop procedure... I think you should go ahead and do it :) I am at week 10 and feeling sooo good and relieve :)
I had my BR 2 weeks ago. I had put it off more than 10 years. Now I only think why did I wait so long and why was I so scared. I would definitely advise just do it! The fear I had was worse than the actual surgery and initial healing. I am happy I did it. I just need to finish the healing process. Ask allot of questions both of your surgeons and the wonderful ladies who post on this site. You will get allot of support and good advise from the ladies who are waiting for their surgery date and those who are post op and healing. Good luck!
Thanks for the advice and words of encouragement! One of my biggest concerns is that my plastic surgeon's specialization is facial reconstruction. I live in Canada, so we don't really get a choice of surgeon. You just get a referral and go to the surgeon with the shortest wait list. I like her as a person and a surgeon -- she seemed very confident, has done many breast reduction surgeries and suggested the lollipop technique for me instead of the anchor. But I'm just not sure how important it is to go to a surgeon who specializes in breast reductions specifically.
Ask to see her before and after pictures. Also, this site has reviews of doctor's that other ladies have used. Use the search bar on this page and put in your doctor's name. You should get some good reviews. Lastly, if you do find other ladies on this site that have had your doctor, write to them directly and ask how they felt about their results. I wish you all the best. I think for me, this was the best decision I made for myself and I am glad I went ahead and had my BR done.
Thanks for the advice. I already checked. My doctor is not on here. Actually, only two of the plastic surgeons who work in my area are on here, and I live in a major metropolitan city -- this site is just much more American-based than Canadian.