15 Year Old Implants Are out After Deflation - Vermont, VT

15 years ago I was the proud recipient of Mentor...

15 years ago I was the proud recipient of Mentor textured saline implants 225. I was 32 years old and this was a knee jerk reaction to a bad divorce. I was always self conscious of my size 32AA breasts. I was 5'3 and 100 pounds at the time of implantation. They actually were a nice size - large B small C cup - and I had no problems with them. Fast forward 15 years and I am now 47 years old, 115 pounds and have one child who I breast feed for a year.

On December 23, 2012 I noticed my left breast was smaller in size. Over the next couple of days (yes, over Christmas) my left breast deflated significantly. I was not able to see a plastic surgeon until January 8, 2013. During my waiting time I considered all of my options. My husband really encouraged me to have them removed and not replaced. After finding this site I was able to see that was a definite possibility.

I had the implants removed yesterday under local anesthesia. It wasn't painful but definitely felt strange. I did not need drains and have only been taking Advil for pain. I had a difficult time sleeping last night. It wasn't so much the pain as it was just not possible to get comfortable. I was able to shower today. However, when I removed my sports bra to shower I was devistated. I knew they would be small but they have caved in. I know it hasn't even been 24 hours but I just can't stop crying. I am going to have to get used to them as replacement isn't an option at this point. All I can do is pray the "fluff" fairy comes to visit in the future. I had purchased a Handfulss bra in advance and put it on after my shower. It is SO comfortable and has enough padding so I don't look deformed. I was instructed to wear a light sports bra for 3 weeks. I have ordered 2 Coobie bras which are on their way but I may order another Handfulls bra.

Thank you all for your stories and photos. They have been so helpful during the last 2 months.

Today is day 5 post explant and nothing has really...

Today is day 5 post explant and nothing has really changed too much. My breasts might actually be a little smaller as I think there was some swelling in the day 1 photo. I will post new photos in a couple more days. The pain was gone by Thursday, which was nice, and yesterday was the first day that I didn't cry. Hopefully it was a turning point.

So it has been one week since explantation. I...

So it has been one week since explantation. I think they are a little smaller then the day one photos but they are perking up a bit. I still haven't had the courage to show my husband. I am feeling better about my decision to explant.

It has been a little over two weeks now and not...

It has been a little over two weeks now and not much has changed. They still look very small, deflated and empty. I am getting used to it, though. My ps said I could wear regular bras at 3 weeks post op so I went bra shopping yesterday as I had some free time. I started at Kohls. I tried on styles that were similar to what I used to wear, only smaller. However, I could not get one bra with real cups to fit. I think it is because I am so wide and shallow now. I finally got a Warner's bra size 34A to fit. I felt disappointed as it isn't a very pretty bra. I then went to Victoria's Secret and had a fitting. I was told I was a 32C. The first bra she brought me fit like a glove and I definitely felt much better about myself.

I live in a very remote area with few plastic surgeon options. My original surgeon has since retired so I had to go with the only other surgeon available.

Chin up. You look lovely x x
I also felt much better after a trip to Victoria's Secret!! You really look fine, at 2 weeks I wouldn't have dared snapped a picture mine were so empty and deflated. There will be so much improvement in the next 2 months, wear the sports bra!! I am 2 1/2 months post op and still wear mine all the time. Best of luck to you, I hope you're feeling great!
The VS bra looks like a great fit!
I'm glad you went and got properly fitted for a bra...it makes all the difference. I'm a board certified post mastectomy fitter....I fit women with bras and prosthesis following breast cancer surgery. Most women wear the wrong size....so happy you found the correct size and style for your beautiful natural breasts. Keep in mind that it can take months for things to settle in to place. Be patient and give your body a chance to heal. Thanks for the update!
I only bought a couple of bras just in case things change over the next few months. I am just excited to stop wearing tight sports bras! Unfortunately, in Vermont we do not have a Nordstroms so the only option we have is VS for bra fittings but I think the young lady did a great job! It was definitely helpful to have someone bring you different style and options and give feedback. I left Kohls in tears so it was nice to leave the mall smiling!
Aww it took me 6 weeks to show my husband. Mine were very caved in first 2 weeks. If you look this good after one week, you should expect great results over the next weeks-months. Hope you keep feeling better about your decision :)
I finally had the nerve to show my husband and his reaction was very positive! He has been telling me that my body is more in proportion now. Nothing has really changed since the explant but I am getting used to them.
Hi Small agian...I agree with everyone else; you look great! I've wanted to have my implants removed as well and was wondering if your implants were under the muscle and if insurance covered the removal?
Hi Susan, Mine were above the muscle. Unfortunately, insurance did not cover the removal. It would only cover the removal if they were for reconstruction purposes resulting from cancer.
Hi, you look good after explant. I think you're going to fluff up beautifully. I hope I look as good as you when I get mine out this summer. Fingers crossed. Congrats to you x
Hi. I think you look wonderful. I had mine done a week ago and the dent is still there but it gets better each day I think. I think you have a good amount of natural breast tissue. Just give it time to heal, but you look great already.
I hope I end up looking as good as you do! You have a fabulous result!
The body has an amazing ability to heal. From what I have read it will take a while for things to settle....be patient....you will be naturally beautiful.
You look amazing and your husband is great for encouraging you and supporting you in this decision. From all that I have read they do fluff out and in a couple of months they won't be looking like that. Take care and remember you are still beautiful no matter what.
Thank you. My husband has been very patient with me this week. Maybe someday I'll let him see them:) This is the first day that I didn't cry. My daughter was home sick today so it took my mind off my breasts.
Hi smallagain, You look great :). give it some time to heal. And I agree with nervousgirlie it takes a little time to adjust with your new you! But I bet you will notice or have notice that its worth it. Take care!
Thanks for your kind words! I just checked our your post and I love your white bra. Would you mind sharing the brand?
Smallagain , Thanks, The white bra is from from Victoria Secret's pink. :)
I think you look great! You are just used to seeing bigger boobs and it takes a little while to adjust. I don't think you look caved in at all, you just lost the "upper pole fullness" that implants provide. As I am sure you know by the photos others have posted, things improve a lot over time! x
Hope youre feeling better now x

Thank you for sharing on RealSelf. I'm sorry this is a hard time for you. I see so many women whose breasts do change and fluff over a few weeks to a month after explantation. Fingers and toes crossed that that will be the case for you.

I love the Handful bra, too. Good choice!

Please keep us posted as you continue to heal. And I hope you're able to sleep more comfortably tonight.