60yr Needs Relief from Back Pain! - Vanderbilt Medical Clinic- Nashville, TN

My story is a lot like all of you here. I remember...

My story is a lot like all of you here. I remember being teased at 9yr for having breasts! And the embarrassment of wearing a bra to school that first time and I felt everyone knew it! Anyway this decision from talking to my doctor to consultation and approval I received today has gone very quickly. I'm scheduled for May 6! Consultation was March 26, just a couple weeks after my referral! I'm a h cup and ask the doctor to take me to a c cup! My sweet husband is going to take time off from work to help me and is so supportive of my decision. The idea of being able to just to cook, wash dishes, garden or run and do aerobics and not have my back, arms or shoulders hurt will be so worth it. So now I've started to think about all I need to do before that day to prepare. And thanks to all of your stories you've shared it will be too much easier!

20 days and counting!

Thought I'd post at least one picture before my BR! My back has really been hurting the last couple days. So looking forward to gething this done. I'm not too concerned about the surgery itself just not sure about being put under anesthesia with sleep apnea. That is one question I'll ask at pre op.

7 days till my BR

Had my pre op today. Wow, just counting down the days till relief! Had my question answered about anesthesia and sleep apnea. A little nervous about surgery but so ready to get it done!

One more wake up!!!

Thought I'd post one "before" picture with post op bra for comparison later! This is a Glamorize 42H that I originally bought to work out in. This has less stretch than the other Glamorize post op bra and Carefix bra I bought from Amazon. So not really sure which will feel better post op. I'll be finding out real soon! ONE more wake up!!! Wish I'd done this years ago but didn't even know it was an option for relief of my back pain. It was when my arms starting hurting a lot to the point I could hardly hold a pen that a friend suggested breast reduction. I mentioned to my PCP at an appt in Feb if a breast reduction would help my back and arm pain. And tomorrow is the day!!!

Day after

Wow, not a whole lot of pain! Haven't had to take any pain meds yet. Still pretty tired though. First comment my husband made after seeing me in surgical bra was that he didn't expect so much to be taken off! LOL And I thought "Woo Hoo!!! And on the way home I felt every single bump in the road. So glad I brought the pillow!

Zingers

Feeling returning to right nipple! I know it's a good thing but wow! Just lending over to pick up a cup and "zap". Doesn't hurt just electrifying!!! :-) So hard to stay still, want to get up and do normal things like wash dishes or something! And so tired of this surgical bra, post op appt Tuesday can't come soon enough! My husband has been wonderful taking care of me but I'm sure his regular job is easier!!! LOL

Post op appt

Everything looks good except still have a lot of swelling! Finally out of that surgical bra, yay! Doc said I could start driving. I asked how much he removed, 730grams from each breast!!! He'll remove the surgical tape at the next appt next week. So excited I can take a full shower!!! My husband and I went to the mall and walked. Think I did too much so relaxing and icing now!!!

13 post op photo

Still a lot of swelling but a lot of room in this sport bra!

1 month

It's been awhile since I updated! Doc removed steri strips 16 day post op and what a relief! Yesterday was the first I almost felt "normal" again! Even held my granddaughter for a while, yay! I do still have swelling(I know that will go on for a while!) but more on my left side than right. Still sleeping on my back. Think I'll try sleeping on my side tonight. Very itchy but using bio oil and it helps. One nipple looks like a muffin top! Still have side boobs and the swelling there bothers me. Hoping they go down a lot once all the swelling is gone. Only time will tell! Wished I had asked about using Lipo on sides. Left side has a dog ear and right side looks like a bubble!!! Picked up some scar away sheets. Wondering if anyone else has used them. I'll have very thin scars anyway but thought the sheets would help it along. I'm wearing a 42D/DD sports bra now and hoping I'll end up a C cup! I do need to lose lots of weight too so hoping that will help with the side blobs! I'll post updated pictures later.

5 weeks post.

Doing pretty good! I'm managing to get more done but still have to rest often. Breast are still very tender and so itchy! Been massaging with bio oil and coconut oil and that helps alot! Bought a bra at Walmart today but a little tight. It was a 42 D fruit of the loom. They must run small. The sport bra I have on now is 42D. I just want to wear a regular bra! So tired of the sport bra! I did try to sleep on my side but just can't do it yet.

Starting to feel "normal" again!

Had a post op appt on Monday and he said everything looked good. Scars are healing nicely. Of course still some swelling but in time won't even think about it! I'll see Doc again in November. Today went to the gym intending to just walk on the treadmill but ran a little too! Woo hop! It felt awesome not having on that weight on my chest! Of course now I'm sore (mostly legs!) Soon I'll try some Zumba, aerobics and aquatics again. Looking forward to being able to move with the girls not hindering me! (Might have to wait on aquatic classes till the girls get a little more pliable to fit in my swimsuit top! Mostly back to my regular routines and not getting too tired. Yay!
Dr. Robert B Shack

All the staff were very helpful and explained all that was being done. I really liked the way Dr. Shack measured and marked me before the procedure. Even measuring twice! Haha! I would highly recommend Dr. Shack and Vanderbilt.

What a lovely difference ... you must be really pleased.
doing great, i was not cleared to go in the pool until 8 weeks
I'll be 8 weeks post next Tuesday, yay! But probably won't try the pool for a while anyway. Doc said I'm cleared to do most activities unless it hurts! :-)
I am close behind you! I just had my seven week mark and feel that I can do most things. I don't think I can do a pool time yet, either, as I have part of an incision that doesn't want to heal up, but I still can do yoga and such, which is helpful for feeling like I am making progress in my recovery. Good luck with whatever works best for you.
The pool is hard at first because you are using and stretching your arms so much. Even now when I am in the gym (I am almost a year out) I still have twinges when I use certain machines. My motto after eight weeks is give it a try and if it hurts - just stop. Recovery takes longer for some people.
Looking great! I'm at week 7 (yesterday) and have been sleeping any way I want for several weeks now. Sometimes just wake up in the middle of the night completely on my stomach with arms smashed up around the boobies! I'm always surprised that doesn't hurt. In my 2nd week, I started just naturally, in my sleep, turning halfway on my side. Waist down on my side; waist up with the girls facing slightly up at about 45 degree angle. I think it was partly because my back was so uncomfortable trying to sleep on it when that's not my normal/natural sleep position. It will come back to you, and I think your body will just do what it needs to! Keep up the good recovery!
You are so blessed to be able to sleep on your side! I know I'll get there soon, just taking more time for me. I'm surprised I'm doing so well on my back, never could before! And I couldn't even imagine sleeping on my stomach!!! Probably would do that eventually if it wasn't for the cpap. Thank you for the encouragement!
I had a great recovery but it took all of the much quoted 4 months for the swelling to go down. Slept on my side from day 17 so you should be fine.
Thanks, I thought it might take the 4 months! Just impatient to see final results! I did try once at about 2 weeks on my side but couldn't handle it then! I'll see how I do tonight! I've had a great recovery so far, so thankful for that!!!
Get RID OF that BRA to big for you GO GET A NICE SPORTS BRA I love the GENIE BRA Very comfortable!!
I second that. That bra is way too big.
Haha! Just put it on to see difference from first picture. And yes it's too big. Yay!!! I have a couple sports bra that are a little snug and are not very comfy so been using post op bra and ordered another from Amazon. Also been "airing"!
I was getting ready for work this morning and discovered I only had one clean sports bra left in my dresser. But most of my tops have a more open neckline so the sports bras tend to peek out. I pulled one of my old bras out, thinking it won't be that bad to wear. Oh mercy! It was sooo big and the cups all wrinkled up over my new small boobies! I just love them! I'm at 6 wks out yesterday. Got to get rid of all those old bras!
Who Hooo for the ittybitties I am seven weeks out today :P Starting to feel human but still feel swelling.I am still giving it at least 4 months.
Yes, I just packed my to go to goodwill! Loving the size I am now!!!
I am six weeks post reduction. How can you tell if there is swelling still present? I would say that I don't have any swelling left but maybe I'm wrong.
Well if they are pretty sore Is how I tell I can just feel them and can tell they feel hard and sore!!! So to me that seems like inflammation yet they say you have some kind of swelling up to 4-6 months. Your lucky if you dont feel swollen I only had drains for one night.
Oh, that's good to know. I guess I don't have much swelling because I'm not sore at all anymore and I only have one small hard spot. I didn't have drains but I hear they're not fun. I was hoping I would be swollen so I could expect to get smaller over time. I am about a c but would like to be a b. I emphasized this to the Dr. but he was constrained by maintaining blood and nerve supply. I am thinking of doing another reduction in the future if I can scrape the money together. I'm not sure just considering it because I am very happy with the outcome other than being slightly bigger than I wanted to be.
hope you still have time to be more even I was so uneven the before the surgery So before he went in to cut on me when he was marking me up I said I want on the smaller side of C, I have heard to many PS make people D or DD I think they do all the same way if you ask me they do what they think they like other then what the patient likes!!! I am almost 2 months post and know I have several more months to be changing I need to go shop and find some of these bras I want :P
For SURE ........... get some BROMELAIN ! It has helped me SO MUCH ! You take it 3 to 4 times a day BETWEEN MEALS ,,,,, and NOT with Food - or it will not Work for the Swelling ! Mine are 500 Mg. Capsules. Also ......... Having them to the Air ! It makes the Healing go Faster and not quite so Raw !