60yr Needs Relief from Back Pain! - Vanderbilt Medical Clinic- Nashville, TN

My story is a lot like all of you here. I remember...

My story is a lot like all of you here. I remember being teased at 9yr for having breasts! And the embarrassment of wearing a bra to school that first time and I felt everyone knew it! Anyway this decision from talking to my doctor to consultation and approval I received today has gone very quickly. I'm scheduled for May 6! Consultation was March 26, just a couple weeks after my referral! I'm a h cup and ask the doctor to take me to a c cup! My sweet husband is going to take time off from work to help me and is so supportive of my decision. The idea of being able to just to cook, wash dishes, garden or run and do aerobics and not have my back, arms or shoulders hurt will be so worth it. So now I've started to think about all I need to do before that day to prepare. And thanks to all of your stories you've shared it will be too much easier!

20 days and counting!

Thought I'd post at least one picture before my BR! My back has really been hurting the last couple days. So looking forward to gething this done. I'm not too concerned about the surgery itself just not sure about being put under anesthesia with sleep apnea. That is one question I'll ask at pre op.

7 days till my BR

Had my pre op today. Wow, just counting down the days till relief! Had my question answered about anesthesia and sleep apnea. A little nervous about surgery but so ready to get it done!

One more wake up!!!

Thought I'd post one "before" picture with post op bra for comparison later! This is a Glamorize 42H that I originally bought to work out in. This has less stretch than the other Glamorize post op bra and Carefix bra I bought from Amazon. So not really sure which will feel better post op. I'll be finding out real soon! ONE more wake up!!! Wish I'd done this years ago but didn't even know it was an option for relief of my back pain. It was when my arms starting hurting a lot to the point I could hardly hold a pen that a friend suggested breast reduction. I mentioned to my PCP at an appt in Feb if a breast reduction would help my back and arm pain. And tomorrow is the day!!!

Day after

Wow, not a whole lot of pain! Haven't had to take any pain meds yet. Still pretty tired though. First comment my husband made after seeing me in surgical bra was that he didn't expect so much to be taken off! LOL And I thought "Woo Hoo!!! And on the way home I felt every single bump in the road. So glad I brought the pillow!

Zingers

Feeling returning to right nipple! I know it's a good thing but wow! Just lending over to pick up a cup and "zap". Doesn't hurt just electrifying!!! :-) So hard to stay still, want to get up and do normal things like wash dishes or something! And so tired of this surgical bra, post op appt Tuesday can't come soon enough! My husband has been wonderful taking care of me but I'm sure his regular job is easier!!! LOL

Post op appt

Everything looks good except still have a lot of swelling! Finally out of that surgical bra, yay! Doc said I could start driving. I asked how much he removed, 730grams from each breast!!! He'll remove the surgical tape at the next appt next week. So excited I can take a full shower!!! My husband and I went to the mall and walked. Think I did too much so relaxing and icing now!!!

13 post op photo

Still a lot of swelling but a lot of room in this sport bra!

1 month

It's been awhile since I updated! Doc removed steri strips 16 day post op and what a relief! Yesterday was the first I almost felt "normal" again! Even held my granddaughter for a while, yay! I do still have swelling(I know that will go on for a while!) but more on my left side than right. Still sleeping on my back. Think I'll try sleeping on my side tonight. Very itchy but using bio oil and it helps. One nipple looks like a muffin top! Still have side boobs and the swelling there bothers me. Hoping they go down a lot once all the swelling is gone. Only time will tell! Wished I had asked about using Lipo on sides. Left side has a dog ear and right side looks like a bubble!!! Picked up some scar away sheets. Wondering if anyone else has used them. I'll have very thin scars anyway but thought the sheets would help it along. I'm wearing a 42D/DD sports bra now and hoping I'll end up a C cup! I do need to lose lots of weight too so hoping that will help with the side blobs! I'll post updated pictures later.

5 weeks post.

Doing pretty good! I'm managing to get more done but still have to rest often. Breast are still very tender and so itchy! Been massaging with bio oil and coconut oil and that helps alot! Bought a bra at Walmart today but a little tight. It was a 42 D fruit of the loom. They must run small. The sport bra I have on now is 42D. I just want to wear a regular bra! So tired of the sport bra! I did try to sleep on my side but just can't do it yet.

Starting to feel "normal" again!

Had a post op appt on Monday and he said everything looked good. Scars are healing nicely. Of course still some swelling but in time won't even think about it! I'll see Doc again in November. Today went to the gym intending to just walk on the treadmill but ran a little too! Woo hop! It felt awesome not having on that weight on my chest! Of course now I'm sore (mostly legs!) Soon I'll try some Zumba, aerobics and aquatics again. Looking forward to being able to move with the girls not hindering me! (Might have to wait on aquatic classes till the girls get a little more pliable to fit in my swimsuit top! Mostly back to my regular routines and not getting too tired. Yay!

5 months post!

Haven't updated in so long thought I do it now! Once I got past the 2 month post I feel I haven't stopped moving!!! That is a really good thing cause now I don't have to rest my back every 5 minutes! Yay! I planted a garden this summer and put in a fall garden but don't think I'll get much out of that since I may have planted too late. I love my size now. I think I'm a C cup but I'm still in a sports bra because of my dog ears. Can't seem to get a regular bra to fit right plus it feels and looks weird. I see my PS next month so I'll ask about a revision. My left breast is a little larger than the other but I'm sure only noticeable to me! Plus there are some hard areas so it hasn't settled down yet! Don't know if anyone else has experienced where it feels like the fatty area (where the fatty breast material was removed) is splitting internally. Doesn't hurt so been massaging that side a lot and now it's coming back together. It's only the left breast and that's where I still have an area that is still hard but does loosen up with massaging.

Hoping my insurance will approve a revision

Had an an appt with my PS today. I asked about a revision for the dog ears on my sides. He had pictures taken and will send it in, so should know if my insurance approves it in 4 weeks. I have mixed feelings about another surgery but I'm thinking it should be an easier recovery. I might not even bother if it didn't feel like logs under my arms and that it is extremely unsightly. Also can't find a bra to wear except for the sports kind!

Pictures

Thought I'd post pictures of my dog ears that I'd like a revision on. I have lost a little weight and I'm sure the dog ears would go down some but think I'd still have dog ears, just a little smaller! And it is uncomfortable!
Dr. Robert B Shack

All the staff were very helpful and explained all that was being done. I really liked the way Dr. Shack measured and marked me before the procedure. Even measuring twice! Haha! I would highly recommend Dr. Shack and Vanderbilt.