Skin damaged by VI Peel

I had the VI peel 4 months ago in June of 2011. If...

I had the VI peel 4 months ago in June of 2011. If I had written this review a month after I had had the peel, it would have been a glowing review. The peel itself was fine - 5-6 days of feeling like you have sunburnt skin, and skin started peel after about 3 days to reveal the most amazing, glorious skin I had ever seen. I followed the instructions and precautions TO THE LETTER.

The skin tone was even, pore size diminished and it felt so smooth and looked like I'd taken 5 years off it. Then in August, so 2 months after the peel, I caught a glimpse of myself in a window outside and noticed my skin has this strange texture all over my face.

It's hard to describe but it looked like I had thousands of little bumps all over my skin, but you couldn't see them in all lights. Since then, I've been watching my skin carefully, and have been living a daily nightmare. I used to have medium-sized open pores on the apples of my cheeks and small pores on my forehead and no pores on the sides of my face.

Since August, every day I look in the mirror and every single pore has become absolutely enormous, as though someone had dotted my face with a needle or something.

On top of this many pores have joined together to make long lines of pores that look like pronounced wrinkles. I can actually feel them when I run my fingers over my face. I also have 2 light brown stains on my cheeks that were not there before the peel. It looks like the skin on my cheeks is dead as it doesn't seem to soak up the serums I'm trying to nourish it with and just looks totally lifeless.

I had one single accent laser treatment on my face 18 months ago to "tighten up the jowl area" as the doctor said, which led to fat loss and parts of my face looking deflated when I smiled (I will write about this in a post on the Accent page). I have done no treatments to my face since that disaster but after visiting the doctor (one of the most well known and respected in my city), I was encouraged to the VI peel which he said would help with some of the textural problems that were caused by the Accent treatment.

At no point did the doctor ever mention that there was a risk of me ending up with orange peel skin, raised bumps, pores joining together to form lines, dark stains and lines going all across my face and cheeks when I smile. It looks like the collagen has been completely destroyed under my epidermis!

I feel like I'm living a nightmare. I would feel better if the (famous, well respected) doctor had said that this sort of thing can happen in a minority of patients, but nothing like this and I asked 50 questions!

These doctors are truly evil. I believe that they know the risks full well and are willing to feed people lies as long as it funds their lavish lifestyles.

I have no idea what to do now. People always used to say how young I looked for my age and I feel like I've aged 10 years in the space of a few months. I don't want to go near another laser or peel but I wonder if microdermabrasion can help? I've been using expensive products that are supposed to repair the skin - serums, Vit C creams, essential oils etc but I feel like every day I'm comfronted with bigger pores/track marks/lines as well as the ongoing fat loss from the Accent.

I'm going to try dermarolling - has anyone had any success with that before. I'll post updates - I'm desperate to try to repair the collagen. I'm 32 so hope that maybe I'm young enough for my skin to have some chance of recovery.

To anyone thinking of having laser or peels, I would think long and hard. I believe that there are thousands of "respected", "well known" doctors out there who are keeping up a veil of secrecy about the reality of these treatments and I would not take any doctor's word for it if he/she has a vested interest in you having treatment.

I would also encourage people to think long and hard about whether the problem you want treatment for is really worth the risks that come with these "treatments".

I've lost confidence, I check my skin often, am afraid of going out and am jut generally devastated. There is no way that this is a coincidence - I've never, ever had such issues before - I know my skin so well, every mark and pore and this is not MY skin.

Please all be aware that often the skin looks amazing a month after treatment but you may be dealing with devastating effects several months down the line like me.

If anyone has any advice at all that could help me - I would appreciate it so much. I feel like this is only the beginning and I'm scared as it seems to be getting worse every day. Please someone give me some hope.

My skin seems to be getting worse every day. I...

My skin seems to be getting worse every day. I feel like the peel triggered some kind of delayed cell death from the single laser treatment I had done which damaged my skin. Or maybe it has nothing to do with that...but in the space of 5 months, my skin has aged by about 10 years.
Does anyone have any advice?
I'm dermarolling and feel like I'm seeing an improvement but has anyone had any luck with anything else?

just about the same thing happened to me. I had really good skin, but started noticing a few lines around my mouth. Went to a spa and was told Pearl Fractional would stimulate collagen. It did just the opposite! I was left with tiny pin holes all over my face and in the past 2 years, the holes have formed lines all over my chin and upper lip. I have lost so much facial fat that I have been told I need a facelift. Has anything helped you?
WOW i'm so sorry this has happened to you, i know someone who had the vipeel and their skin looks great, i hope things are better for you.
Go to a website called reverseskinaging. The products are phenomenal, science behind them impeccable. You can speak to someone about your specific situation. I have been using the products for years. I am 43 but regularly guessed in my 20s. They work to restore your skin. Yes your skin is young enough to be restored, but you have to do the right things. Adding inflammation upon inflammation will only make it worse.
you are so naive to think that doctors do this for money most try it out on themselves and staff before even introducing it into their practice if there are issues with the product it comes from the manufacturer, not the doctor
Hey starx, I hate to say it but I can't fully agree with you. I've been to numerous derms & PS's for damage from an Erbium laser for the last 7 yrs. I only know of one doctor who tries lasers on himself because he's a laser specialist. I do know of some assts. that try some out but when I ask if they ever did this or that they'll say," No, but we've had a lot doing it & it's good." la de da.... I even ask my doctors if they use fillers or botox on themselves so I always ask them if they tried different machines. I'll get, "not this one but I do them all the time" Money does make the world go round for some doctors I hate to say. They open Spa's & let their assistants do the job. I also notice prices vary a lot for the same procedure so money is a consideration somewhere for some. I've had good & bad results from lasers. It was the doctor who made the difference for me. They can both do the same job but with different results, one doctor I went to for one fraxel treatment I got red bunt lines on my jaw that I never got from the other doctor who did 6 on me without any burns. If you believe they tried ALL their lasers on themselves it doesn't mean it works for everyone the same way & tht they do it perfectly each time. We're all different. They need knowledge & experience about what their doing & the types of skin their using it for. tell us what can happen & most important is to test the dam machine before using it !!! Their the one who uses it. If they think something is wrong then cancel the appts.. They should know if it's working right. So even if you think its the manufacturer the doctor should always make sure it works right before putting it to someone's face. Doctors blame manufactures & the manufacturers blame the doctors. I've also noticed some doctors with bad skin who have lasers & wonder why they don't use it on themselves. Hummm.
Another thing that's weird is a lot of the times the doctor picks up for the machine their using when they see the damage, they'll say the machine doesn't do that kind of damage so I don't know why your skin turned out like that. Then they don't know what to do. That's another thing, they need more education on how to take care of the problems that can arise. Orange peel texture, large pores, burnt skin. You shouldn't use something that you can't fix.
Yes, I have worked for a plastic surgeon who himself was excellent, but we would come across patients who would come in to see if he could fix their problems and sometimes they were very scary. People take lasers too lightly today imho.
I would never go to a spa that offers any laser, filler or even a peel. I only go to PS offices or Laser Specialists. A laser is way too risky even in the doctors hands let alone anyone else. I was one of the scary ones that needed help after having a laser procedure & still am. It was new back then, I wish I knew then what I know now. It only took one day to damage me both mentally & physically. No doctors want to take you on & all I hear is, " no, sorry, I don't think doing anything will help, not even lasers." If they think laser is so great then why don't they think the laser can help my scars ?" They don't want to touch you. When your damaged your basically on your own. I hope to find a doctor that really knows what is best & can help & will help. It's hell on earth thinking your never going to look the way you did before.
i was taking about the VI PEEL for treatment lasers are another story.... i only see doctors who do the treatment on the patient with laser, you can get a certificate in one week and then you are considered a trained employee - scarry stuff ! i refuse to go to a big office where they have a bunch of aestheticians running around acting important and pushing product and treatment because they are on commission bottom line - do not go to a spa for treatment you wouldn't go to a spa for an ob/gyn treatment would you?
I can really understand what you are feeling, when i was 19 i had an sun accident and my face was burned and damaged and i got much pores on my cheeks, i went to a esthcian to do a neoderma bio peeling and it helped me, im a also a Jehovahs witness, and we believe that in the new world that is comin soon we will look young forever
now the skin on the right cheek feels very thin and rough aswell as hypopigmented
this same thing happened to me ,only that it was not from laser treatment, mine was from excessive scrubbing of the skin on my right cheek now i have dry patches with tiny holes and hypopigmentaton which i had before due to the excessive use of soaps and other things.i'm only 18 and i hope that the black heads ,pores and dry patches of my skin go as time passes by

Ladies this happened to me from a peel, I have been told to do laser but before I did I tried the zo skin anti aging kit, its my third month and finally I am slowly getting my skin back! It takes time but you see results instantly every week. Make sure you use the microscrub twice a week.

Dunno if anyone still reads this thread but I too, dealt with--and sometimes still deal with--the development of orange peel skin. I didn't have laser or the V-peel (though I have had a glycolic peel), and my skin developed the same kinds of textural problems as shown in the OP's picture, so I can totally identify with everyone's complaints and fears in this thread. Unlike others though, I believe that this textural problem is actually due to an EXCESS of collagen and keratin. The reason I came to this conclusion is that my textural problems only started to develop after I suffered some bad break outs and, in an effort to improve and possibly stave off any shallow scarring, I started using/trying all the expensive/active products that are supposed to improve skin texture and collagen production (retin A, vitamin c serums/creams, also made sure to take lots of oral vitamins and veggies). To be clear, I did not overuse these things (in fact I have never been able to tolerate using even the suggested amount of retin a), and I did not just suddenly try it all at once--i too, was trying to "baby" my skin. While I did and still do have some shallow acne scarring, I definitely did NOT have orange peel skin before I became obsessed with all the antioxidant/resurfacing treatments. My skin texture was at it's absolute WORST(roughest) following the month that I let an esthetician advise me on products (she mostly preferred vitamin c serums and acids in addition to the retin a I was using every other night!); she also administered a facial with a "light" glycolic peel...and it only made my skin look worse... The thing is, collagen thickens your skin, and when you treat your skin with all these products/peels/lasers and take an excess of vitamins, well it's all with the aim of stimulating more collagen growth. Maybe that's not such a good thing in certain people's cases? Maybe at some point, it just ends up being overkill for some of us.

Anyways, I found that when I quit using all the vitamins and vitamin c serums/antioxidant creams and cut down the retin a usage to 1-3x a week, my skin texture improved CONSIDERABLY (i cannot believe how much it affected my self esteem, so I hope this helps someone else!).

I still experience it occasionally though, and what do you know? It's almost always after I use retin a too much or too frequently (like I said I have some shallow acne scarring and it's actually helped with that). Also, I have found that mechanically exfoliating at least once a week actually helps a lot, so I would say consider whether your skin is in fact "fragile" or if it might be actually be thickened and/or inflamed due to whatever kinds of products you use. To me, orange peel skin almost looks like ketosis pilaris (look it up) so I think anyway you treat it, you just have to reach a certain balance to get results.

Thank you all for sharing. I am grateful for the info that you've shared. I was just thinking about the vi-peel. I now have to reconsider. I am sorry for what you are going thru and i hope you find help somewhere. As for those with Acne, the best cream that works best and safe__ is Turmeric Cream. You can get them from ebay, amazon or any indian store. It cost about $6. and it is safe on all skin since it is organic. If you are not allergic to Curry, you can use turmeric cream. I hope you'll give it a try. ____ Gerri.

Hi, Pls take a break from the retin a. What you r describing happen to me while I was using a retinoid called tazorac. U can read my nightmare. I think u r over exfoliating. Plz read http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/16/the-peel-sessions/

Hello, I am soooooo relieved to hear someone has had the same experiences I have had with lasers and chemical peels. You have described the texture, the appearance and the coloring to the tee. Prior to treatments I just had some discoloration and some acne but never any enlarged pores, aged looking skin, pores that form lines, loss of collagen. I always looked young for my age but now i look like a complete different person. It makes me want to cry. I wish I could go back to my old skin. If I would have known I would have just stuck with my acne. But I do believe for God to bring a miracle. I dont know how or when but I do believe!!

I feel your pain. I had horrible results from a Erbium laser treatment in 07. Thanks to that I have scars around my scars & dents along with pigment change. Since then I've had IPL for the redness, Affirm, Fraxel, Perfecta, Smoothbeam & Fraxel Restore Dual 4 x's. It's no picnic. I have panic attacks everyday just thinking of going out. I decided to try needleing. Since I had all these lasers done I think I can coment on it. I think it does as good as the lasers do. I also do a light 10% TCA peel every month or so. I just found a product that I think you should all know about instead of using a mirco cloth which I also used but it's too harsh on my face. The product is called "Cure Natural Aqua". It takes the dead layers of skin off like no other product I have ever used or seen. It's on youtube. You won't believe the balls of dead skin that come off your face. It's 90% water! They sell millions is Japan & you know how their skin is. It will make your skin so soft. I never heard of it before last month & wanted to share. You would think you would hear more about it since it's so popular in Japan. So now I'm sticking with light peels, needleing & Cure .I think the Restore Dual helped a bit too so I'll go for a couple more. If you have dark spots try lemon. It's natural & workes better than any cream I've used. Believe me, I know how devistating damage to your face can be. I had to go on meds & lost 30lbs. Pores do not open & close. They don't have muscles. but they can look smaller by cleaning them out, Maybe a pore minimizer? . I just wanted to let you all know about Cure. It will help brighten your skin, clean out the pores to make your face smoother & make the pores look smaller.
I will also just add -- .5mm is for increased product penetration only and can be used daily. So if you are using a good vitamin serum for healing, you will get much more of it down into the skin. 1.0mm and over are for collagen induction by means of the needling and you do not want to over do those because the collagen takes time to build.
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

I think you are going the right way with dermarolling. But be sure that if you are using longer than a .5 mm, you are using it sparingly (for example once a month or so). Collagen takes time to rebuild. Dermarolling is a slow but sure process. Also, it has been shown to cause NO hyperpigmentation unlike the possibility with laser or chemical peel. Keep at it, but remember slow and steady win the race.
Just to clarify for people....the VI Peel and Vitalize Peel are two very different treatments.

Here is a Q&A that discusses Vi Peel Vs Vitalize Peel for those who may be curious.