1 year later!! : Vancouver, BC

First post! I was always teased in school and...

First post!

I was always teased in school and I've alwaaays hated my nose. I was very self conscious in school about it, not so much anymore. Although, I still want to change it. It's long, narrow and has a rather large bump on the end. I've been looking into having Rhinoplasty done for a little while and have booked a consultation for this Friday.

My mum is supportive, so is my boyfriend. Haven't told my dad yet - probably will before my consultation.

I'm very excited about the outcome ...not so much the actual surgery part of it though >.< Hopefully my dad will be able to drive me home from the surgery...

I have to take some time off work for this. I work in an office so a couple people may notice/comment. Have any of you dealt with this... how did you handle it? I wonder if I should tell my employer what I am taking time off for ..?

Tentative date for surgery is Oct 4. I have pretty much made up my mind that I want it, although still have to meet Dr. Denton.

Congratulations on your first step of rhinoplasty. I wanted my nose done for years. It was a very similar shape to yours and although I got bullied when I was younger it was never a problem in my adult years. No one mentioned my nose or even thought I would've have wanted it done. However, I knew that I would feel 100 times better if I went through with the surgery. It's probably a little too early to post but i had my procedure on Tuesday (sep 11th 2012). It went so much better than I thought. No so much pain so far apart from the stitches but immediately I can see my nose is much smaller, that's even with the swelling and the splint. My eyes are still very swollen, very very puffy but bruising has gone down considerably. I feel very congested from the swelling inside my nose. Will keep you updated on progress if this helps you. Good luck!!

Welcome to RealSelf and thank you for starting your story! Here's a great list of questions to ask your prospective doctor at your consultation (and don't be afraid to go on two or three consultations to be sure you're choosing the right doctor for you). Please let us know how it goes!

Thank you!
I actually told my dad after I posted last night. I thought that since my appointment is on Friday, I should say tell him. When I said I have something to tell you, he thought I might have been getting married!!
It's hard to save up a lot of money .. I will probably be getting pay installments.
Good luck!

Well tomorrow is consultation day! I'm very...

Well tomorrow is consultation day!
I'm very excited and a bit nervous to see the "after" pictures that Dr. Denton will show me.
Mum is coming with me.. probably for the best. I feel more comfortable with one of parents knowing exactly what's gonna happen on the day.
I realized that I may be able to use the rest of my sick time for the time
Ill be off work. I was originally thinking I'd use vacation... hopefully I won't have to.
I guess I will update tomorrow and let you all know how it goes!

You don't have to tell anyone more than you are comfortable with. If you are having trouble getting time off then tell your employer but if they aren't concerned you don't have to tell them anything. My PRIMARY concern was people noticing when I returned back to work. I took 17 days off work (just to make sure!) and when I returned NOBODY even noticed!! I felt like it was a pretty big change too. I only had one person ask me if I did something different with my hair. So my suggestion, along with a lot of others is to do something different with your hair so when you return, people will attribute any change to that. You're so pretty by the way and you'll be just fine!
Hi Kirstabell,

I also am in Vancouver and I underwent a closed rhinoplasty procedure on 8/8/2012 with Dr. Denton. I wrote a review about my experience. More specifically my wholehearted compliments to Dr. Denton and his staff.

I had my nasal hump removed and my tip raised slightly. My recovery being uneventful with no bleeding nor pain while the swelling and bruising resolved rapidly. I love my newly sculpted nose as do all of my family members and friends and associates. Dr. Denton's surgical skills and abilities I highly recommend.

My only minor concern was a persistent bit of swelling on my nasal bridge just where my hump was removed. But as of yesterday, at my five week post-op office visit, Dr. Denton advised me to gently massage the area and to my great surprise and relief the swelling resolved completely overnight. It's no more as of this writing.

I'll be updating my review again at six weeks post-op in order to also talk about my lip augmentation procedure that I underwent just today with Dr. Denton. One syringe of Juvederm [with Lidocaine] was injected into my upper lip in order to bring it into balance with my lower. The procedure was largely pain free. Just a slight, and very brief, stinging sensation as the needle penetrated.

The immediate outcome was exciting to see. Lips perfectly in balance and symmetrical. A huge improvement to my overall facial appearance just as with my rhinoplasty.

When I next update my review I'll be including some photos of both my nose and my lips.

Once again I'll state that in Dr. Denton you'll have made/be making a great choice.

The best in my opinion.

Him and his staff.

All the best to you,

Gary
All the best for your consultation. I look forward to hearing (reading!) how it went. Enjoy!

So Friday was my consultation! Dr. Denton is...

So Friday was my consultation!
Dr. Denton is very informative and friendly, all of his staff are very helpful as well.
He touched around my nose and took a couple pictures, it all went very well! Apparently, my nose will not be an 'easy nose' as I have a lot of cartilage on the tip and fairly thin skin. Denton said that he would probably shave some off the bump on the bridge of my nose as well. I have attached a picture of the proposed after surgery look....I love it! Looks 100% better than it is now.
He talked my mum around as well as she thinks I won't look unique after I have the surgery and I will lose my character. I don't want a character nose though..... Denton said that he is not changing my look - he is only impoving it. I think she is satisfied now :)

My new tentative surgery date is November 8th at around $6500.

and thank you all for your kind comments and support :)

Goodluck! I get the whole 'character' thing from my parents too haha Thanks for sharing, I'm looking at getting mine done mid Oct! Super nervous but very exciting
I'm so pleased your consultation went well, & wow the computer image looks fantastic! I'm glad your Mum is feeling more comfortable with it as well. Enjoy preparing for your big day :)

I was just thinking tonight .…… too bad Dr....

I was just thinking tonight .…… too bad Dr. Denton's office doesn't have a back exit! After surgery, I am going to have to come into the waiting room, into the elevator, through the buildings lobby, and out into the STREET. Vancouver's Broadway shouldn't be too busy early in the morning..hmmm....
Trish booked me in on Nov 8th and I would be the first patient of the day at 7:30am.

Now I play the waiting game.

Not long to go now!! I am counting down the days :) I bought a travel pillow for my neck, polysporin ointment/q-tips, vitamin c tablets.... what else do I need? Hmmm I've heard some people mention something herbal... starts with an A... I can't remember the name of it. It's purpose is to decrease swelling and/or bruising. Can someone help on this? Not sure if I should get some and where to get it. Thanks everyone!
Arnica! I have heard great things about it :D p.s Straws will also be helpful and I have heard vasaline as your mouth gets quite dry
Arnica .. Yea that's it. I'm wondering if I'll need a prescription for it or if its just something I can buy at the drugstore. Straws, interesting. I haven't thought of those. I heard that hot food isn't the best during recovery, is this true? Thanks for your comments :)

I just realized that I updated last week although...

I just realized that I updated last week although I updated it as a comment and not a new post...
So I woke up sick today. I have a sore right eye, runny nose, and a minor headache/sore ears. I don't know if this will affect my surgery or not... it's scheduled in 2 days! My nose isn't running thaaat much but I still feel like shit =(
My boyfriend left to go to his Whistler cabin for a week. He said he may visit me on Saturday. I hope he does cause I will be mega bored. Although I have some work to do at home that won't last forever. Good thing about so much time off work to recover is,
I can finally finish the seasons of Lost. So addicting.
Please let me know our experiences with head colds and rhinoplasty.... :)

Let us know if they proceed with the operation... and if so, how it goes! Good luck!
I don't know whether they operate when unwell...maybe not. It probably depends on whether there is an infection. I'll pray this cold passes quickly. Drink lots of water and try to rest. Take care.
I stayed home from work today and I feel much better :) I've been taking lots of vitamin C

Wellwellwell I arrived at surgery at 7:30 am to...

Wellwellwell
I arrived at surgery at 7:30 am to pay and fill in some brief paperwork. I then got changed and had some tablets that prevent feeling nauseous and to calm me down. I wasn't too nervous.... mostly excited :)
Dr . Denton went over all the photos and took some more and answered some more questions.
Before I knew it, I was asleep .. during the end of the surgery I can remember asking some questions but its all very vague.
Now I am at home, drinking a protein shake and relaxing with my travel pillow. My parents are taking very good care of me. I miss my boyfriend though :( he may come back on sat or sun .... we'll see :)
No pain so far!!!!

Wow! Well you did bruise and swell up quite a bit, huh? Thank goodness your parents are there to help you out! Good luck this week!
Thank you! I didn't think I would bruise this bad >.< Dr.Denton mentioned that I have pretty thin skin so that's probably why I bruised to this extent. It'll go yellow soon and look all beautiful hehehe
So tentatively, your surgery was this morning and by now, you might have your new nose! I hope the surgery went well (granted it didn't get put off for some reason I haven't read yet lol) - so excited to hear how it went! Thoughts are with you :)

Well last night was okay, I slept only about half...

Well last night was okay, I slept only about half the night though. I never ever sleep on my back so it's so strange and I sometimes find myself wanting to roll over Ahhh.
My mum is making me bacon and scrambled eggs soon :) It's 8:30am so ill think ill get up and stretch my back.
My eyes are still puffy and blue :( but I pretty good !!! ... My throat isn't dry and all which is awesome cause I was expecting it to be
One question: I bought a saline stray but I'm wondering when to use it and how often? I just hope it doesn't stray too harsh into my nose

Thanks all for now! =)

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Our TV just broke!! OH NOOOO Too much overuse...

Our TV just broke!! OH NOOOO
Too much overuse today! :(

My mum just got off the phone to tell my brother about my rhinoplasty (I didn't tell him anything about it).. his reaction was "what was wrong with her old nose?" Aw

My nose feels super congested and full. Feels sooo heavy without the drip pad.

That's all for now :)

I hope you can watch netflix on your computer to entertain yourself... good luck! But, if your boyfriend comes, that'll help!
TV is working again! :)
wow that looks good and the cast isnt even off, I can see the space between your nose and lips it looks really good!

Today started off pretty bad :( I didn't get a...

Today started off pretty bad :( I didn't get a good sleep and I felt dizzy. I am getting really down with the bruising and swelling, although its getting better.
I ate some yogurt and had a nap. Later in the day my mum washed my hair so I felt a lot more fresh. My brother came over to visit and we had beef stew which was really easy to eat.
Forgot to mention but yesterday my mum made fish and mashed potatoes for dinner ... so yummy!
I feel extremely congested and kinda itchy .... I posted another picture :)

Your day 3 pic really shows a big change from your before pics! Hang in there... just a few more days till the cast comes off...

Today is a good day so far. Can't believe it's...

Today is a good day so far. Can't believe it's only 9:15AM! I don't sleep much at night.. probably cause I nap so much during the day. It's difficult to sleep on my back, can't get use to it! I woke up, cleansed my face, took antibiotics, had some yogurt, got the kitty and now I am watching The Holiday. It's one of my fave movies :)
A question: my nose is sooo blocked with dried blood although I was told not to stick anything in my nose. I can't sniff either ... I put Polysporin in my nose several times a day and that helps. Is this normal?
I'm worried that when I get my cast off, I'm gonna have a completely blocked nose. How do I eventually clean this ?

PS- no idea why my pictures are uploading sideways ... so annoying!

I actually had my surgury on the exact same day as you! So today is day 4 me as well:) my ps said to spray out my nose with saline solution at LEAST 2 times a day to keep it moist. I just put the bottle under my nose and spray twice to let it really get up my nose and then let everything run out. It won't hurt your nose, in fact when my ps removed my packing the day after surgury he sprayed the crap out of my nose and it felt great:) also I've be using hydrogine peroxide and medicated ointment on the inside of my nostrils to clean the incisions. That always feels great. The most uncomfortable thing for me right now, along with feeling stuffed and and my nose still constantly dripping, my nose just feels insanely tight! Anyway, hope the next few days go by super fast for you:)
I love The Holiday too! I can see a huge improvement in your day 3 picture too. You are doing so well and will have the cast off in no time at all. I hope you get the tv situation fixed quickly, oh and your family sound like they are very supportive.

Woke up early again today, although I had a good...

Woke up early again today, although I had a good sleep last night. I think I may have slept on my side for a bit, not sure... I had a shower, so refreshing! Then had some pasta and beef stew for lunch. Was finally able to have tea! I drink about 3-4 cups a day and haven't had any since before my surgery so I definitley enjoyed it... haha. I was even able to wash up the kitchen a bit and unload the dishwasher. My mum has been so good to me, cooking lots of soft delicious meals and cleaning everything up... I'm starting to feel bad lol. My nose feels good, no pain at all. Still feeling congested. I used the saline spray a bit so I could clean the dried blood inside...although, I didn't get all of it. Applying lots of polysporin throughout the day. Boyfriend is (finally) coming over this afternoon. =) Posted a picture from today.

Your nose looks great so far. Big change from before pics!
Thanks! I can't wait until Thursday! So excited to see my nose :)

I get my cast off on Thursday. I can't wait to get...

I get my cast off on Thursday. I can't wait to get this thing off! My nose feels so numb but pressured at the same time and congested.. the dried blood that I can't reach is making the inside kinda sore :(
Do all these feelings go away once the cast is off? I hope I won't feel congested anymore.
I baked peanut butter cookies today and my friend came over to watch Julie and Julia. Whenever I feel like I do too much, my nose starts to feel sort of tingly at the tip... so I rest.
All in all, a good day but I've had enough now :)
I will be happy with WHATEVER type of nose I get, as long as it looks nothing like my old nose. Looks good so far.

Can't seem to delete pictures or change the rotation - anyone know how?

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Hey everyone! Last day with my cast today. Woke up...

Hey everyone! Last day with my cast today. Woke up and had some sausages with eggs. Did a bit of schoolwork and checked my work emails. Not doing too much today, my nose is really itchy!!! It's also sore inside from the dried blood that I can't reach.
My eyes are still bruised red and purple, under my eyes have gone yellowish green. Very attractive :(
Waking up in the morning is the worst. My throat is suppppper dry (I guess cause the antibiotics) and my nose is all plugged. Nose is pretty greasy as well so Im looking forward go scrubbing my face tomorrow.

Hahaha not many good things to say today... so done with this cast :| Tomorrow can't come fast enough :)
I'm excited to talk about my surgery with Dr. Denton though and find out exactly what happened. Ill update tomorrow!!

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

So today was THE day! I got my cast off! The...

So today was THE day! I got my cast off!
The first thing that Dr.Denton asked me when he entered the room was. "So how did your brother react?" I was sooo lost. I don't remember ANYTHING after my surgery for that entire day, I was completely out of it. Couldn't even walk. He explained that I told him "the whhhhole story" about how my brother doesn't know about my surgery and how he's coming to dinner .. blahblah. lol! I found it hilarious. I think he did too.

I'm not gonna lie, today it hurt. Getting the stitches out (I had 6) hurt the most - probably the worst out of this whole week. The cast coming off didn't really hurt, just felt really weird and uncomfortable. Although now it's off and I was able to wash my face very lightly when I got home. My eyes are still reddish and greenish. My nose is swollen but that'll go down. I'm very happy with the outcome and it'll look better as time goes on :) I posted a picture from today. No makeup still.
Yay!!!

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

I'm not sure what's going on in my nose but my...

I'm not sure what's going on in my nose but my left nostril hurts :(
I got a light & a little mirror and I peered inside .... looks pretty swollen. My right nostril is okay but the left has 2 swollen little "pockets" and they're pressing on each other. This is blocking any air that comes through :(
Is this normal?!

Gasp! Your new nose is gorgeous! Sooo happy for you!
Thank you so much!! :) I'm super happy with Dr. Denton's work
Has it gotten any better today? A lot of posters on real-self have mentioned taping at night to control swelling, I believe. Check with your doctor to see if he thinks that would help.

Everything is going well :) my nose is a little...

Everything is going well :) my nose is a little stuffy but not nearly as bad as before. The selling has gone down inside my nose a little bit, still can't really breathe properly through it though. Under my eyes is still green... makeup covers that up mostly.
It's my first day back to work tomorrow after about 10 days off! It's been nice relaxing time considering, but I guess it's time to face the music (and tons of emails).
I love my new nose =) it suits me waaayy more than my old nose. I am very happy!
Also, I added a new photo!

Wow! You look amazing (and you did before), but happy you are pleased with your results. Wanted to let you know your photos have been rotated and we are looking into why you were not able to rotate them after you uploaded. How are you feeling now? Any updated pics you can share after a couple weeks post op?

It's so exciting seeing the transformation, looking good!
Yay back to the grind we go, but with our brand new shnozzles. Cue the "We Are The Champions" song.

Hi everyone! Wow time has flown by! I'm almost...

Hi everyone!
Wow time has flown by! I'm almost at my 3 weeks post op date. I have my appt on Dec 7 (Fri) to meet with Dr. Denton.
So I am doing really well :) super happy with the results and thank you all for your happy thoughts and words... this website is amazing! Honestly, if I didn't know about this website and if I couldn't blog during the process, I would be lost.
This whole process hasn't changed my attitude at all, I was worried that it would. I'm exactly the same person although a different nose :)
No one has really noticed (they haven't said so anyways) which is good.
My bruising has only JUST one away completely ... I still have dark under eyes. I got a real bad case of bruising, I suppose because I have very thin skin. I also have psoriasis but that didn't make a difference. Nose is still swollen inside, can't properly breathe through it yet :(
I don't have any pics just yet but I will take one very soon!
:) bye for now

Wow! you look beautiful and it is such a natural result!
Thank you ... so sweet and I am so happy that it looks so natural! =)

You look so good! Awesome that the your remembered you and your pre-op story : )

Hello all! I went for my post op appointment...

Hello all!
I went for my post op appointment today :) Dr. Denton said that I am healing and progressing very well. My tip is still very hard although that's normal as he did a lot of cartilage work on the tip. There is a tiny bumpy part of the side bridge ... although you can only tell by feeling it, not looking. He said that's because that's where he cut into the bone. It may smooth out but it doesn't really bug me anyways.
He said I talked through the whole surgery!! I guess that's how he knew about my brother coming over .... haha. He kept on giving me more medication to help me sleep. That's why I don't remember a THING AT ALL until mid-day after the procedure.
Oh wow. It's been quite the journey. Well worth it though!!!

That's funny that you talked during the surgery! Talking while I'm under anesthesia is something I'm really nervous about !! I guess the surgical staff has heard it all, though, but still... what if I say something really embarrassing? Sounds like you didn't, so that's good !!
thats what im worried about too! like what if i accidentally say something rude about the medical staff
I'm still worried if I said something weird! hahaha I really didn't think I would talk during surgery but I was wrong! Apparently I talked to my dad about a bunch of nonsense when he picked me up hehe ... I don't remember anything! It's like the morning after a crazy night out lol

Added new pictures! :)

Added new pictures! :)

Hey, how have things been with your new nose???
Gorgeous new pics :) it hadn't even occurred to me that we could talk while asleep!! Now that would be funny. Don't we have a breathing tube down our throat? Keep enjoying your beautiful new nose.....your story and pics are inspiring!!
Thanks!! =) As I was only under twilight anesthesia, I was still aware and able to follow the surgeons requests to move a certain way or something he needed me to do. I was completely out of it as far as I'm concerned, I don't remember any of it. I did not have any breathing tube, just the IV.

Hi everyone! So I'm a few days off my 3 month...

Hi everyone!
So I'm a few days off my 3 month marker :)
I love my nose and I'm doing great!
The only thing is that the tip is still quite swollen and hard. I had a lot of work done on the tip so Dr. Denton said that was normal. I am have difficulties breathing out of my left nostril so he may have to cut more cartridge next time I see him. Not sure though.... we'll see how it goes. Apart from that, everything is good!!! :) I will post a new picture later tonight.

you look very pretty. congrats !
It is lovely to hear from you and that you are doing well. You look beautiful. I also had a lot of tip work (3 weeks post op) so will be interested in continuing to follow your healing journey....mine is hard and swollen too & feels like a wooden nose. Take care & enjoy!
Really good, thanks! I just updated :)

Uploaded 3 new pics :)

Uploaded 3 new pics :)

Wow. Your 3 months post op is incredibly awesome. Congrats on a wonderful surgery.
You look gorgeous! glad you did it. You are stunning.
Thank you everyone for your comments!! Yay! :) :)

Its been 5 months. Its been good! I've had...

Its been 5 months. Its been good! I've had difficulties breathing out of my left nostril so today I had a minor revision. I entered the surgery room and felt exactly how I did the morning of my rhinoplasty! All the nervousness feeling came back to me. I had freezing in my nose (felt like 5 needles!) and the dr went in and started cutting away at the insides to remove the extra cartlidge that was preventing me from breathing properly, it HURT. I hated every second of the procedure. So about 6 hours later and my nose is still hurting and bleeding. Also, it seems like its slanted to one side. It wasnt like that earlier today... so I'm not sure whether thats it being swollen or if its gonna stay that way, so I'm kinda worried. Has this happened to anyone else?

Oh, so sorry to hear you had to go back under the knife. Surely the slant is just swelling, no? Hang in there, you are just gorgeous!
Thank u! I am very much so hoping that its just swelling *fingers crossed*
You look amazing!!! so wait, you had a revision or a primary??

My breathing is better now, although not fully...

My breathing is better now, although not fully 100% the way I'd like it. Kinda frustrating during yoga lol..
Now that its been almost a week since my procedure to remove some of the cartalidge, its less swollen and more straight. So glad it didnt stay slanted looking!
I go back to see Dr. Denton again in the first week of May so he can assess my breathing and how everythings going.. :)

Can I just say how awesome your nose looks! I almost wish to have brought in your post-op pics to my surgeon :D. Hope your breathing has been improving and I hate tip-swelling myself but as I mentioned, amazing results!!
Thank u!! My breathing has improved a lot :)
Wow looks amazing!

1 year later!!

Wow, 1 year!
Can’t believe it… this time last year, I was about 45 minutes into the surgery. I still remember how nervous I was while walking into the surgery room and seeing the bed and the tools. I have no regrets at all! I can breathe perfectly and am very happy with how my nose looks. I posted a new picture, which was taken this morning. Next Wednesday, I have my follow-up appointment with Dr. Denton.
Feel free to ask me any questions you want or anything about how my surgery went :) good luck to everyone who is currently recovering … happy healing!

Picture!

great results, when u get a chance can u post one more frontal? Frontals are hardest to get--good luck on the appt

Front view photo

Wow you look so amazing! one of the best results i've seen :) you're lucky, congrats!

Amazing results! Thanks so much for sharing this will really help people to understand what to expect and how the results look after a year.

Added! :)
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Search online, read reviews, pictures