I'm over the Wall...- Now, it has been one year....Vancouver, BC

21 years of these awful implants -hard and painful...

21 years of these awful implants -hard and painful so after a health scare (mammagram showed a mass -ultimately, everything okay), I had them removed.

My PS indicated my CC was close to a 3. April 12 was the day. PS did not want to do a lift.

It was tough since apparently, the right implant had ruptured even though the mammagram said it was okay! I'm so happy they were removed since before any health issues, I was o embarrassed to hug people because of my hard implants.

It now has been 8 days. Must say, the second day was the worse for me but after that, things get so much better. Also, I thought I would be way flatter and even though I haven't gained any weight (pre-implants) my breast are no larger. The PS indicated it's very common to have breast change. Now, the fluff fairy may add a wee bit more, I will be happy.

18 days post explant and it has been an experience...

18 days post explant and it has been an experience. I'm getting stronger but still get tired in the evening. My breasts are healing; however, sometimes they just feel sore (especially at the incision). Also, notice, at times "pings" in breast -especially the left one which is strange since I have had most of the work done the right breast for removing scar built up.

Can sleep, at times, on my side but still aware of my breasts -quite sensitive still. Is this normal?

9 weeks since explant

Well, hard to believe it has been 9 weeks. I'm working out again and it feels great; though, the "jumping jacks"still make me feel tender.

So, when I first started out, my breast were quite "full", then, they seem to shrink ("noooooo....) but lately, I notice they seem to be gaining more fullness. In addition, my left was quite smaller now it seems to be "catching up". I don't know if they will shrink again. Is that it or will the "fluff fairy" make a visit?

My scars are healing nicely and in a slightly padded bra, I'm very comfortable and no one seems to notice my smaller size. I just wish I did the explant sooner. I love hugging -- who knew???

Even though things are going great, I do note that if I hit my breast by accident, still tender. Is this normal?

14 weeks and it's all good....

Well, as the title suggested, 14 weeks since explant and my only regret was that I didn't do this procedure sooner.

I am healing nicely. No longer need to wear 2 sports bra to work-out -no longer super-tender. Enjoying wearing t-shirts and tank tops. My "go-to" bra is the Genie bra -slight lift and slight padding. So comfortable.

I think some fluffing is happening? Not sure but no longer as obsessed. My left was much smaller for a while but it's catching up...

Anyone thinking of this surgery, it's so nice to exercise and hug without hard fake rocks.

Over the Wall 12 months later and loving it...

Well, it has been a year since I had these awful hard implants removed and it has been quite the year.

I have thrilled with my "new breasts". I love that I can hug my children and really really hug them - no hard beach balls in the wall. I love the softness of my natural breast and while I don't judge women with implants, I think they are so unattractive. Fake looking the way they jut out.

I didn't have a lift and I was so worried that after 21 years of implants, my breasts would be awful but they are quite perky in spite of what I have put them through. I don't have any visible scars (much to the surprise of my doctor) and my normal bra of choice is a Genie bra - gives some shape but still reflects "me". On the odd occasion where I want to "va-voom" it, I put on a push-up and it fills out very nicely.

This journey has been very interesting. My first pictures, my breasts, were, in hindsight, somewhat swollen because around the 6th week, I seem to have been shrinking ("nooooo) but I think then it filled out again. Any gals going through that "roller-coaster" of wondering what your breasts may look like, you do have to give it time.

In addition, before I had my implants, I was quite flat but after the removal, my breasts seem to have gotten bigger since they were not this size before the implants. Perhaps if any young women are thinking of implants, your breasts do change.

Thanks for this site. It really has provided so much information.

....stitches dissolve. Go back in 2 weeks to see Dr.
Had the Drains removed this morning,one hurt more then the other. Left breast is a bit numb. Does the numbness go away? Implants didn't rupture after 23 years but had a capsule that was all cleaned out. I'm glad the stiches
Wow! What a difference 12 months make! You looked great from day one. I am 6 hours post op. Dying to see how they look. Didn't get wrapped in an ace bandage just a tight bra. What kind of bra is the one with the zipper?
No, I wasn't wrapped nor did I have drains -which I worried about since everyone seemed to be doing. The very beginning, I had a no-name sports bra (Wal-Mart) with a zipper. Congratulations on your explant.
Looks very good! Did you have the capsule removed?
Oh, yes, I was worried given the age of the implants. It was important for me to have everything cleared out.
I had my implants removed on the 16th April. I was nervous about the op but had a good Dr. After 23 years my implants were mainly intact. I thought they had ruptured. The drains come out tomorrow. I'm flat chested with some breast tissue though. I'm happy to have them out. Thank goodness for padded bras.
The worst part is the wait - I was super nervous too about the surgery. After a few weeks I lived in a Genie bra -so comfortable and gives a very nice shape. I tried many post-op bras and I can't say enough about this bra. Wal-mart was where I got mine -also seen them at "Bed, Bath and Beyond". Happy healing
Thanks. A bit sore today but all good. Did you wear the bra when you still had the stitches? I'm pretty flat I'll just go for the sports padded bras. I'm in Sydney, Australia.
Thank you for sharing your story, you are very inspiring to those of us who have just started the journey to explant. I love that none of you Ladies have regretted it. I can't wait to be me again. Natural and all at 50 years! My girls have breastfed my kids and provided life. My original PS suggested a lift and exchange. No thank you! I have earned the breast that I end up with. After what i have put them through they will look sad and deflated, but that is life and experiences! Kudos to you Van Girl and my other explant friends for being your true Authentic Self! Proud of our RS community:) Soft hugs and lighter life:)
Good thoughts for your explant. Yes, at first your breast will look a wee bit sad and deflated, it's amazing how they soon remember to be "happy again". To me, everything is better with being natural -exercise; sleeping and sex (not necessarily in that order). All the best.
Good thoughts going your way for your explant. Yes, at first, your breasts will look sad and deflated but it's amazing how quickly they remember to be "happy" again. For me, everything is better being natural -exercise; sleeping and sex (not necessarily in that order). All the best.
You look awesome! I can't wait til I get to work out again. How long did you wait? I'm running and power-walking at 3 wks post-op. But, I'm still pretty tender and sore so I'm afraid to lift weights yet.
I waited until about 3-4 weeks before I could work-out but that was with 2 sports bra since anything bouncy was too painful; in addition, you always know when your body doesn't like a certain movement so I always modified during my work-outs
Thanks for letting us know your still seeing improvements and so happy with your decision to remove them. I'm only a week post removal and am totally happy with the decision too. Its nice to know that continued improvements are seen for months afterwards. You look great, and you feel even better!
Thank you, so much. It really does get better week after week
Van girl, were yours silicone? They look so good natural! I'm getting mine out July 2nd and I'm really hoping for an outcome like yours.
Hi Ajduck. Mine were "Dow corning silicone/saline gel implant", I think. It has been so long ago. To say I was freaked out to have the explant surgery was an understatement; however, it's so true but you relly will feel better without having those fake balls on your chest. I'm actually very surprised that my natural breasts are so perky -worried that the implants would have made them saggy but not the case. I can't remember if the implants were put over or under the muscle and I don't know if that impacts the ultimate outcome. Worst part of explant surgery? Waiting for the surgery -I guess when you make the decision to explant, just want it to be over with. Best of luck. Keep us posted.
Just learned that after 37 years, I have bilateral ruptures. On vacation at moment and received news day before leaving from Dr. Must see a specialist when I return home. I am REALLY concerned that I have had them so long and that surgery is very difficult. Do you have any feedback about how long you had yours and about your surgical experience? Thanks.
You look amazing! Big congratulations :)) I am about 14 weeks post-op and feel basically normal. Massage makes them "tender" but it is also hard for me to remember how sensitive natural breasts were after so many years with implants (the implants made me lose sensation in different areas from the weight and pressure damaging nerves and tissues). So, I don't know if the extra "tenderness" when I am handling them is normal boobs, or still a little bit of post-op sensitivity. But, I am ok to wear a normal bra and go about my day (no more super-compression etc) so I consider myself healed. I won't consider my results 'final' until 6+ months :)
Thanks so much - I must say at nearly 10 weeks, I'm getting use to my new breasts; in addition, I am quite sensitive but when I had the implants, I had ZERO sensation. Like you, wondering: is it the new breast or post-op? It's funny -when I was waiting for explant, I purchased the dolly-wedges and insert thinking everyone would wonder about why I was so flat but such silly logic - no one gives a crap. In fact, I wear push-up sometimes but mostly Genie bras and mostly people comment that "I look so trim" . Thanks for the words -6 months sounds about right for results.
It is SO true, Van girl!  As another woman on this site commented a while back, no one else obsesses about our breasts the way we do!  :-)
Hey Van girl- I told you, the hugs are the best!!! I am 6 1/2 mos out and still a bit sensitive...I don't relish the thought of someone squeezing the ladies! All in all, I feel 'mostly normal,' but I am definitely still healing and somewhat tender. I think it might have to do with my having new incisions...nerves that weren't previously cut? So, totally normal!
Thanks, Grapefruit no more - I love being implant-free but I guess the only thing that has taken me by surprise is the amount of time for my breasts to "recover". I'm feeling good at 9 weeks but, yes, I'm still a wee bit tender and I do think it really does take 6-12 months before the results are realized. It's a wee bit of a roller coaster ride - sometimes, I'm critical and wish they were bigger; however, I'm also so grateful that my body has recovered after having those awful implants for 21 years. Acceptance of our bodies is paramount.
Amazing results!! Still very tender after almost 7 weeks off and on. I am a firm believer now, it may take 6-12 months to really be fully healed!! Congrats!! aka lil Hoots