Excision of loose back skin - Vancouver, BC

After loosing 20 lbs after second pregnancy and...

After loosing 20 lbs after second pregnancy and especially lipo on my back area, my back looks very bulgy & uneven caused by loose skin. I had a full TT done in 2011 with lipo and now I am ready to have this procedure done to make my body look proportioned. I hate it that I still have to worry about which types of shirts to wear after having a TT done because of my back ! I do aerobics but there has been no affect on the back area.

Photos

Photos added.

Has anyone gone through this procedure ?

Well I have been looking online but seems there are not too many people I can find that went through this procedure. Anyone out there that would like to share their experience and results ?? I am really interested to know about how you did afterwards i.e. being able to walk normally, extending your arms to lift things, back to work, etc. and how you feel about the scar. My doctor says two weeks off work is good. I work in an office. I also do filing so not sure I will be able at that point. Question is if two weeks WILL REALLY BE enough time ?! So all these things are running through my mind even though I trust my doctor, but sometimes it helps to talk to people that actually went through it too ! My preop is December 13th. . . yikes. . . Friday LOL !!

Had my postop Friday December 13th

So once again we reviewed what will be done. Dr. Kerluke explained how he will be getting rid of the extra skin and doing his best to make it nice and even and remove as much as he can. He says there is a limit, which I can totally understand. I was happy and comfortable with it so I signed the consent form and did the rest of the surgical forms and payment! I am to stop blood thinners two weeks preop and start to take Vitamin C everyday starting the two weeks before. I'll have to stop my B12 because it has Ginseng in it and your supposed to stop anything with Ginseng two weeks before. Not a biggie. I have to fill my prescriptions I believe one was a painkiller and the other was antibiotic if I can remember correctly and bring them with me to the hospital. No surgery time yet until day prior ! Really exited to get this over with . . . I'm booked on January 22 !!

2 weeks preop

woo hoo !!!! Lets get the party started LOL !

I was just thinking, I forgot to mention to the doc about the slight excess / loose skin just below my armpit (on the back but on the side near the armpit), which when I put on a bra, also gives a bulgy look ! I'm pretty sure this would also be tightened but I dont know for sure. Hmmmm....questions, questions LOL !

Loose skin around the scapular / shoulder blade area

So I got my question answered today. The doc said when he makes the excision at the mid back, he will pull the skin down from the top and pull it up from the bottom to create an even, smooth look; but again, said there is only so much he can remove or pull the skin, which I totally understand. So. . . no more questions now !! Yay !!

Day before

Well I am to be at the Surgical Centre at 10:30 am. My surgery will be at 12noon and its booked for 2 hours. I should be discharged at 3pm, depending on how I do after having the anesthetic of course ! Feeling excited ! Only questions I have are how to move around afterwards. i.e. changing my clothes considering one has to move the arms up and how to sleep too. That might be a hard one for me I think. . . . Wish me luck everyone and say a prayer for me !!!!

2 days postop (NOTE: error made above "Had my POSTOP Friday December 13th" Should be PREOP ! )

So I had my surgery two days ago ! My pain has never been no more than 3-4 at the most out of 10. I'm so glad its finally over and now the healing process begins. I felt nauseated and threw up twice when I got home. My mouth and throat felt extremely dry. I drank lots of water. Today I am getting some burning. I have been taking pain med's just to be on the safe side every four to six hours the first day and half then yesterday I didnt take it for 8 or 9 hours then decided before going to bed to take 1 just in case. I hate being on it because it makes me feel "weird" and dizzy and kinda sick. So from today, I am gonna see how far I can go without it. Regarding range of motion: nurse said dont put your hands up above your shoulders. Also regarding sleeping: sleep on the back with head lifted slightly up. This has prob been the most difficult part for me. My neck and shoulders are sore because of the sleeping position. I was given two ice packs and was told to ice the back area for 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off for 72 hours, but I havent been doing it that much . . maybe every few hours. . it really feels nice though ! I am to see the PS next Friday. I have no idea what it looks like back there but I sure am excited to see it :-) !!! He said he put glue and I think stitches too and then on top he taped this white type of thick bandage.

Stitches Removed Yesterday

Even though the tape is still on and I cant see the scar, I can tell you that my back is wayyyyy smoother and my curves look a lot better from the back now AND my shirts that I wouldnt wear before (tighter), looks wayyyy better on me now !!! I'm EXTREMELY happy !! Pictures will follow shortly :-)

PICTURES

6 Weeks Postop - Pictures included !!

Today was my 2nd postop. I am sooooo happy I got to see the whole thing because he took off the whole tape and said to take a bit of a break from it then put it back on; which I am thinking I'll do before going to bed. I am really, really happy that my scar is a lot thinner and lighter than I thought it would be. Of course there is still swelling higher up mid back and the ends (towards the bottom on the sides) are a little more darker because this area took a little longer to heal, BUT I dont even care !! In my eyes, he did a really good job and I am loving wearing all my cute tops again !! I went shopping this past weekend for new tops and lemme tell ya, I was really luvin it !! He gave me this silicone type of gel to apply twice a day. He says it will help with the scar. He also said that scar can be stretched up to two-to-three months so be careful (then after that usually the scar doesnt spread/stretch). He gave me the okay to do aerobics but I think I'll wait for another month or so because I dont want to take ANY chances and also I'm going to Mexico on April 1st and said to protect the skin with SPF plus try to use the tape if possible, which I dont have a problem doing since in the water, I will be wearing a tankini. Regarding massages (I get them done regularly), wait for another month or so because this could cause stretching of the scar.

Quick update

Before I forget, I want to post that this week is the first time since having the procedure that wearing my bra did NOT irritate the incision area. (didnt start to wear my bra till 2 weeks after surgery). I'm sooooo happy :-) I LOVE HAVING A SMOOTH BACK !! Now I feel my back area fits with the rest of my body.
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Preop: Takes the time to listen, not rushing. Gives me his suggestions and opinion to make my result the best it can get. Postop: This doc sure knows what he's doing !!