Incisional Double Eyelid Surgery with Dr. Buonassisi at 8 West - Vancouver, BC

I had a very good experience with Dr. Buonassisi...

I had a very good experience with Dr. Buonassisi and his staff at 8 West. I knew I would choose 8 West for my surgery after being impressed by Dr. Buonassisi's qualifications, the website/youtube channel, the reviews on realself, the comfortable and discreet location of the clinic, and the overall professionalism and kindness of Dr. Buonassisi's staff, Mandy and Katie. The entire process of booking the consultation, booking the surgery, and arranging payment was extremely efficient, thanks to Mandy.

During my consultation, Dr. Buonassisi showed me in detail how the procedure would be performed and how my expectations for double eyelid surgery should be realistic. This last point is especially important. For many people like myself who seek double eyelid surgery specifically, we can often become somewhat deluded about the healing process and the final results after seeing so many "before and after" photos where people seem to heal instantly and Asian media personalities with "perfect" features. It's easy to forget that healing takes time. Also, not everyone's face is perfectly symmetrical and your eyelids after surgery may not be perfectly even. Dr. Buonassisi will be upfront about this.

The surgery itself went smoothly, although I did feel some stinging and pain. You can always ask Dr. Buonassisi during the surgery to give you more freezing, though for me, those injections in my eye area pinched and hurt a lot. Be prepared if you have a lower pain tolerance. Dr. Buonassisi was very calm and professional during the surgery.

It's important to realize that everyone heals differently. For the first 3-4 weeks after my surgery, I was very anxious about my results -- my creases were too high and not defined, and I was swollen and itchy. These are all things Dr. Buonassisi will warn you about. Katie was also very helpful in addressing my concerns during this time. Once the sutures were removed, it took about another 2-3 weeks before my incision healed and my eyelids dropped enough for me to feel completely comfortable.

It's been a little over 2 months since my surgery and I am now really happy and pleased. Even though my eyelids might not heal to be perfectly symmetrical, I've accepted this. This was my experience; yours may be different. Be realistic and patient, and things will turn out fine. I feel that should I ever need a cosmetic surgeon again, I would not hesitate to return to 8 West.

1 year post-op, having revisional procedure with suture method

Just providing an update. It's been one year since I had the incisional surgery. The crease in my right eye looks great and is very natural. Unfortunately, it appears I have crease loss in my left eye. I started noticing that my left eye was healing a little differently around the 6 month mark and the crease wasn't as defined. I posted an "Ask a Doctor" question here regarding my asymmetry along with photos here: http://bit.ly/1p64tgJ

After consulting with Dr. B., it appears that crease loss isn't entirely uncommon with the incisional method. The eyelids are a tricky area and many surgeons agree that they can't control how and where the crease will fall; however, the incisional method IS the gold standard when it comes to long lasting results. As I said previously, my right eye is doing fine and looking great!

Dr. B has kindly offered to do a revision using the suture method, as we have already removed the bulk of fat and tissue from the incisional procedure. I'm looking forward to having my asymmetry addressed and hopefully the results will last longer this time. I will update again shortly.

Revisional suture method - very pleased!

So I went ahead and had the revision performed on my left eye. Two tiny incisions were made on my original incision line through which the sutures were placed. The knot was buried inside the eyelid. The procedure went very quickly and there was only minor discomfort from the anesthesia shots. The first five photos show the swelling I had over the first five days. I was amazed by how quickly the swelling subsided. I think, the suture method wins in terms of healing time and convenience. The sixth photo shows my eyes three weeks post-op. I think there is still a tiny bit of swelling. I'm very happy with the result and hope my crease will stay this time.
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon