33 Y/o Child-free Lady Wanting More Shape - Valencia, CA

Hey Everyone. Here is a little something about me,...

Hey Everyone. Here is a little something about me, my body, expectations and experiences thus far.

I consider myself active and I have an athletic body. I'm 5'5 and my weight fluctuates from 120-130 depending on whether I am training for a marathon. However my breasts have always been on the smallish size. My official size is a 32A My husband thinks my breasts are pretty and is satisfied with their size but is also supportive of my desire for "something more."

I've always wanted to fill in my tops, bathing suits, and dresses but I am left with a lot of saggy material. I've considered BA for many years but issues like money, judgement from others (mostly my family) and the inherent risks have kept me from moving from the investigatory phase. I also waited to move forward because in my 20's I was impulsive and made numerous questionable decisions. I was curious to see if this was just a fleeting idea. But nope! I am still tired of buying extreme push up bras, stuffing my bra with socks or other filler materials.

I am graduating this year and wanted to do something nice for myself; a BA seemed appropriate and the timing is right. Ideally, I would like to be a C cup (closer to the mid C, not closer to D)

I have had one consultation thus far and have 2 more scheduled.
My First Consultation: I met with Dr. Hu at the Valencia Plastic Surgery Center in Valencia, CA. I was very nervous. He was very professional. He measured my breast dimensions. (from nipple to nipple, from nipple to clavicle, from breast fold to clavicle, diameter etc) Based upon those measurements he recommended 320-350cc's. He also recommended teardrop shaped silicone implants. He answered my questions and also said he (and his assistant) were available for additional questions via email or phone. I scheduled a tentative surgery date. I have 2 more consultations this week then I will make my decision.

CC's that would look the most natural.

size fitting for my

Hi, I'm 5'3", 120 lbs. I had 300/275 cc round moderate silicone (Mentor) 3 1/2 mos ago. I'm very happy with them but wished I would have went with my PS's rec. (375/350) due to wide chest width, over 30 years bodybuilding. Although PS said it was tough getting right one in (less breast tissue, more muscle, bigger implant). Not sure if they would have been any closer together even if I had went larger, that's just the way I'm built, (wasn't so obvious before). I certainly would not want them any wider on the sides. If you let your PS do what he thinks best & in line with your wish pix, you'll be fine. I 've got a little more dropping to do, esp. right side ( dominant) , but it will be so nice to be able to fill out my swimsuits/tops this summer. You should be good to go by then also. Best wishes, try not to stress to much, I know, it's hard.

Certified by American Board of Plastic Surgery

Hello Everyone,
I was doing some research on the doctor I had my first consultation with and I noticed that he was NOT certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. I was disappointed because his before and after photos were beautiful (good shape, minimal scaring, & very natural looking) he presented as very knowledgeable about BA and spent a significant amount of time with me answering my questions.

Almost all websites with BA info urge that you chose a surgeon who is certified by this board. From my research, choosing a doctor who is certified with this board provides a guarantee to potential patients that the doctor has (1) undergone at least 3 years of general surgery training; (2) has at least 2 years of PS training; (3) must past written and oral tests and (4) must adhere to a medical code of ethics.

Choosing a doctor has proven to be difficult. Paired with price, location, certifications (or lack there of) before and after pictures ect. … I'm feeling slightly overwhelmed with this process.

This is what I am looking for: (1) a PS that is certified; (2) a price that fits my budget; (3) a PS that will take time to understand what I want - and then give it to me (3) a PS who is available to answer questions - ALL of my questions; (4) a PS that guarantees his work; (5) a PS with excellent bedside manner and will follow up.

Dr. Hu quoted me $6700 and guaranteed his work.
I have consultations with Dr. Lussier in Valencia on Thursday and Dr. Stevens in Visailia on Wednesday. I have a feeling I will go with Dr. Lussier. He has an excellent reputation in and around the Santa Clarita Valley. I have scoured the internet for reviews from patients and all but one has been positive. He's being practicing plastic surgery for 23 years!

I'll write an update of my consultations next week.

I don't know whether you are willing to travel and do some "medical tourism" or not but Dr. Hedden in Alabama is excellent. He has an out of state coordinator named Heather to make everything smooth and seamless. He offers silicone and saline and will do the incision anywhere from the belly button, to pit to areola to under the boob. He did my surgery. Let me know if you want any information on how to make your trip more seamless if you choose to do this.
Thank you for the comment Gravegirl! The first PS recommended a certain size. If the next two recommend the same size, I'll go with that. What do you mean by a wide chest width? And how is it measured? Shoulder to shoulder? Or ribcage width? I do have wide shoulders but a narrow chest as a result of 21 years competitive swimming. How did you chose round? I've been considering teardrop shape because I don't want BayWatch Boobs!

Wish Pix

Hey there thank you for sharing your experience so far, I too am hoping for a natural look. My PS has said my ribcage measurements are v small (I wear 32-34 but I think measurement from boob to boob wasn't big or something) anyway my PS has said the maximum base implant he would put in me for a natural look has its largest size if 330cc, initially trying these on they felt huge but reading everyone else's posts I probably would be happy going bigger but PS say I would see my implant either side as not enough breast tissue to cover it. Have you or PS spoken about size after? I was nervous about tear drop but now set on it! Will look forward to seeing your results x

Questions List for Next Consultation?

I've complied a list of questions to ask at my next 2 consultations. Can anyone think of any additional questions to ask?

Questions about Surgeon
1. How long have you been doing breast augmentation?
2. How many BA do you complete in a week/month?
3. Certified by American Board of Plastic Surgery – why is this so important?
4. Admitting privileges at any hospitals?

Size & Shape Questions
1. What size (cc) is best for my body type and lifestyle?
2. Can I try sizers on?
3. High Profile vs. Moderate Profile
4. Round vs. Teardrop (chances of rotation for teardrops?)
5. Smooth vs. Textured
6. Standing up
7. Laying down
8. Left Breast is slightly larger & nipple is higher – can this be corrected? How?

Actual Surgery Questions
1. Where is surgery preformed: hospital, surgery center?
2. Incision site: Nipple, Armpit, Bellybutton or under breast
3. More risk of scaring around implant with Nipple Incision?
4. Over Muscle vs. Under muscle
5. Immediate Risks and Complications during surgery

Recovery
1. Will implants feel foreign and for how long?
2. Pain: Dependent on person?
3. Pain: Can I reduce the amount of pain felt with exercise weeks leading up to surgery
4. How long can I expect to be in bed recovering
5. When can I return to work?
6. When can I drive long distances?
7. When can I return to normal exercise routine? Running, dancing, horseback riding?
8. Scaring of Incision site?
9. Scaring around implant (inside breast)?
10. How can I minimize the risks of scaring around implant

Long Term Care
1. Long-term risks & complications
2. Shelf-Life of Implants
3. Zombie Apocalypse? What happens if i can't replace them?
4. MRI & Costs?
5. Mammograms?
6. Cancer Concerns
7. Replacement and/or future surgeries
8. Buyer’s Remorse (Explants)
9. Warranty on Implants?

It's called BWD (breast width diameter) and is measured from outside edge to inside edge of the breast. Mine was 14.5 cm according to my PS, but 300 cc moderate profile in Mentor is only 13.5 cm in diameter. So 375 or 400cc may have made them closer together, except my sternum is pretty wide (it's just skin over bone), so chances are it wouldn't have, or I think I would have had visible rippling. I do have very slight rippling on the outside edges when I bend over, don't have much fat there to cover the edges of the implant. Also, they need to be centered behind your nipple, so if they're too close together your nipples will be too far to the outside. My PS said the teardrop shape could rotate & that would not be a good look. Unless you go with a high profile over the muscle, round ones shouldn't look like balls. I'm 3 1/2 mos out & they look very natural, actually a lot like your #3 wish pix. Hope this helps.

Pretty Nervous - Worried that I might have chosen to big of an implant

So after making and trying on 375cc rice sizers I'm thinking I might have chosen too big of an implant. My DH looked like a dear in the headlights when he saw how I looked in my clothing with the sizers on (not in a good way). He then confessed to me that he has a body type that he is attracted to and felt that me getting 375cc would drastically change my body type. (if you can read between the lines with this one - its not good implication).

I am very athletic (I am a former elite gymnast, college swimmer, college water polo, and former ballet dancer). Currently, I run marathons and belly dance. I am doing this for myself but factor my DH's opinion into my decision. He is supportive but is encouraging me to be conservative in the size that I pick. I am doing this for me but I don't want to become unattractive to my husband. (But then again - he's never been with a woman with large breasts)

I agree that choosing too big of a cc size will drastically alter my shape and may limit my workout routines. But I also don't want to pick too small of a size and then regret it. This is way more stressful than I thought. I wish there was a way to know how they came out. I want them to be just right - you know complimenting my frame, giving me enough shape to fill in shirts but not overbearing and obvious, and not limiting what I can achieve in my athletic endeavors.

I talked to my PS's assistant today and, frankly, she wasn't of any help. Don't get me wrong she was kind and listened to my complaints but didn't offer my any insight to assist in choosing a size.

Sigh.....

I look forward to after pictures! Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Hi. I am getting my surgery done in Valencia as well. I am going to PM you. I would love to hear more about your experience.
Hey I just had my BA last Friday I'm also athletic weight train, runner, I wear a 32A-check my profile. I looked at 300cc mentor tear drop and high profile mentor silicone -to start but I would have Been a full B and what's they point if it hardly a difference. I took my gym clothes dresses that didn't fit well with no boobs but were my size 32/34 or 6/8 in USA an I tried them on with the implants. I landed up going with 375cc ultra high profile as my chest is very narrow. I was so worried they were to big but I'm just so happy now! Would have regretted going smaller , they going to shrink a bit still. I would say go 350cc don't go through all of it and you still don't full out your clothes nicely:-) I couldn't fit a bigger sized tear drop in my chest and with running and weights if they turned it would be another op and I didn't want that. I hope this helps :-)

2nd Day of Recovery Sux

I'm bloated.
I have weird air bubbles in my boobs & down my "side-abs"
My skin is stretched so tight.
I'm having a hard time getting up or sitting down.
BUT I HAVE BOOBS! I'm haven't seen them yet without the surgical bra but I've been cleared to shower. So I might take an after picture then.

Hey Hon, how you feeling now? What size did you go for in the end? x
Hey! Thanks for asking! I think I may have the "boobie blues." I can do most things now (reach, lift my arms, sit up straight, get in and out of bed, take deep breaths) but the implants feel very heavy, are riding pretty high & look very big. Slouching feels more comfortable than putting my shoulders back. I had a discussion with my PS about the size and I settled on 325 for my left breast and 350 for my right. He ended up going higher - 350 for my left breast and 375 for my right. He told me it just looked better. Not sure how I feel about it. But I can't unring this bell. I'm having regrets. I miss sleeping on my side, hugging my husband and I can't stand the constant pulling feeling on my chest. My DH and I discussed the possibility of explant if I was not happy and I'm considering it right about now. My left feels a lot better than my right. It doesn't hurt as much. I'm having really sharp pains in my right breast paired with extreme nipple sensitivity. Which I've been told is a good thing - as my nerves are "re-awakening." I'm gonna give it a year- I keep reading that it gets better.
Congratulations! What was the final decision on your size? Remember, it takes several weeks for them to "settle in" so don't start judging your results just yet. ;) By the way, I love your 2/17 update with all the great questions to ask during your consult. Thanks for posting this info as it will be very helpful to other women in the future.

Picture Update

Sorry to hear that you're having a rough time. I've read that it does get better, so hang in there! It's smart to wait a year and see what you think at that point. Maybe once your implants drop and soften up you will feel better.
Thanks for the encouragement Beth. I decided on 325/350 but my PS did 350/375 instead. This website has been so helpful and I'm glad I found it. I'm trying to remain optimistic about my results but they're just ugly square boobs right now. I hope to feel (and look) normal sooner than later.
Thank you! The bloating is the worst. At this point I don't know if I'm bloated or just gaining weight from not working out.

Feeling slightly better today ... lets home the trend continues

I feel slightly better today. I am keeping up with the pain meds (only Tylenol at this point) and the pain is reduced to a moderate annoyance. I've found that massaging calms the "angry boob." I've been able to drive, do a little laundry, bend over with more ease, and sleep on my side (kinda). I have noticed more pain when its cold - Kinda strange; so I stay out of the freezer section of the grocery market. I'm going to go walking tonight to get moving again because being idle (physically) isn't doing anything for my "boobie blues." I am having some serious trouble going number two. I know this is the very unglamorous side of breast augmentation but from reading others' experiences it seems to be a significant complaint. I've had a few rabbit poos but nothing to satisfying and I'm starting to worry. I took a large dose of vita C and had a lil movement. I'm drinking some magnesium citrate at the moment with hopes of a legitimate movement in a few hours. I have my second post-op check up on Thursday and I'll have my stitches taken out. I do have a few questions for the PS:

(1) When can I begin sleeping on my side (I know I'm sort of doing this already)
(2) When can I use lotion on my breasts again
(3) When will this tight & uncomfortable feeling go away / When will I begin feeling normal again?
(4) Are the sharp shooting pains only in one breast normal?
(5) When can I expect the swelling to go down
(6) When the swelling does go down, will my breasts be smaller?

Hey Hon, so sorry to hear your not feeling how you hoped!! How are you feeling now? I imagine having a foreign body inside you can take some getting used to especially if initially they don't look as great as they will in the end. Give it time, try and stay positive and yes I agree see how you feel in a year but a bet in a month or so you'll be loving them xx
Ps recommended me to sleep on my back for a while. My right boob gets tingles too very normal
I noticed more pain as well when its cold! I said my boobs dont like the cold :( lol at your first review about sponge bob I actually just said that on my last review update! Happy healing they look great! Good thing you noticed your first PS was not certified kinda scary.

Picture progress

my right boob seems to be going off at an angle....but they are feeling a tiny bit less like giant alien invaders; which is good

I have heard other women mention "square boobs" so you are not alone. It just takes time. Hope you can at least start sleeping on your side soon.

I took my pictures down ...

I took my pictures down because when I did a google search of my doctor, my breasts were all over the populated images. I freaked out. So I took them down. If only there were a way to prevent this from happening....

Everything is going much better. My only two complaints at this time are (1) my breasts still feel foreign to me. I have feeling in every part of my breasts but they still feel like implants. (2) The tightness is still there slightly. I'm hoping these two subside sooner than later.

I felt the same way for a while! I'm at 5weeks post op and I'm starting to feel like they are mine now. Hopefully you will start to feel the same way soon!

went bra shopping yesterday

I went bra shopping yesterday because i am tired of wearing sports bras or camis. I got sized at a 32DD or 34D. I was shocked but secretly pleased. I'm starting to be happier with my breasts. The initial shock of surgery and my difficult recovery made them hard to love. But as they "drop and fluff" I am beginning to love them. They are exactly what I wanted.
The tightness is minimal and they are starting to feel like "mine".

Thank you, your information helped me to confirm my decisions. How are you doing now? Has the shooting pain stopped?
I'm happy to hear that. Yes. The shooting pain has stopped. I'll have strange pains and itchy spells but nothing to be worried about (I had a follow up last week and thats what my PS told me) I feel great now. The implants feel like mine. I sleep on my side. My clothing fits as it should. They are natural looking and are getting softer and softer. They bounce. I have regained all my sensitivity. The only concern I have now is my scar. I have a dark complexion and my scars are quite noticeable. I've been using scar cream with bleach in it per my PS and my DH seems to think the scars have and will continue to fade. Its hard to tell when you see them all the time. But my breast hang in such a way that the scars are barely noticeable unless I lift them up and you're up close and personal. If you have any other questions- please let me know. Best to you :)
Dr. Marc Lussier

I'm holding off on my review until the final results are in