Fat Overfill with Liposuction

I had to have a breast implant re-operation and...

I had to have a breast implant re-operation and decided to have a few other procedures performed while I had the resources and the down time.

I am a 5’4” athletic 48 year old female who weighs 140 pounds. I had liposuction to my flanks, hips and inner thighs five weeks ago. I had 200 cc’s of fat removed and some placed elsewhere via fat transfer. My pre-op hip (saddlebag area) measure was 37” and my post-op measure is 39”. My primary aim was to slim down the saddlebag area; hopefully attain a hip measure of 35” and go from a size 10 to size 8. I had liposuction and fat grafting with the same doctor about eight years ago and believed these were realistic goals.

First, I should mention the ½ face and neck lift and fat grafting looks great and is aesthetically pleasing. Given the look, size and shape of my bum I am inclined to think the obvious saddlebag increase may simply be due to fat overfill. I am aware of the possible complications of fat transfer but truly did not anticipate any given the primary area of focus for the liposuction was the saddlebag area and I did not need much fat transferred to my rear.

Last week I massaged the hip area and to my surprise a few days later measured close to 37” though not without some discomfort and considerable bruising. Still, my pre-op clothes are snug and I don’t have many larger clothes that fit wider hips.

From what I have read in my patient paperwork I don’t see much resolve in supplemental treatment to improve the result of the liposuction. Even though I have a solid understanding of the possible outcomes of these procedures I cannot help the surprise and distress I feel over the unanticipated results. I have one more week in compression garments and a follow-up visit next week and I am not looking forward to going.

I am wondering the suggestions and options other doctor’s propose to their patients in situations such as mine. Secondly, purely out of curiosity, I also wonder if many physicians actually refer their patients elsewhere for supplemental treatment in situations such as mine or even just for better contouring in general.

I am satisfied with the results of my liposuction....

I am satisfied with the results of my liposuction. I would like to have received a response to my question although I realise now it was much too soon to question the final result. I now wear a US size 6 and weigh a lot less than a year ago. I still work out & all but I would have never gotten rid of the saddle bags on my own.

Referral actually depends on the particular procedure as to whether I recommend the doctor. The same to whether I would recommend the doctor. Sorry I could not be more helpful in this area.

Liposuction is best way for you which excess fat from your skin and gives you svelte look in short timings. Don't be worry.. Check bad and good consequences of your surgeons and should go for liposuction surgery. Lipo
iam 46 and have had a tummy tuck and lipo onhips and back it has been 7 months and i seem to be holding weight around the hips and back iam getting depressed
Hi Konyha - thank you so much for posting about your experience. I was trying to make sure I understood your main question - are you looking for answers on whether you should undergo another lipo/contouring procedure for your saddlebag area?
Hi Tom - Sorry for not responding to your follow-up. I had the procedure in Dec of 2009 and posted my question in January of 2010 and posted a follow-up in January 2011.

My distress was in not realizing that liposuction in the saddlebag area plus fat transfer in the bum would not necessarily result in a dramatic reduction in overall size. In other words, my hips were smaller but my bum was fuller.

In the long run that has not proven to be the case. I was clearly freaked out when I wrote my review (ONE month) after the procedure. It was really just too soon to tell what the final result would be.

Hi Konyha,

Thank you for the response.  I am so happy that all of this turned out well for you.  I know that during the first 3-4 months post OP we do not always see our results that quickly.  I am sure you were in a normal frame of mind back then.

It sounds like you are pretty happy and will not be needing or approaching any additional lipo or contouring.

Enjoy you new body!