Lipo of Axillary (Bra Fat) and Upper Arms

Hi, So I decided that I needed to do this post, #1...

Hi,
So I decided that I needed to do this post, #1. because I have spent countless hours reading other peoples reviews in this site to inform my decision to get smart lipo and #2. because I CAN'T FIND ANY REVIEWS ON ANYONE GETTING THE POUCH OF BRA FAT (axillary fat) done. It really surprises me that there are no reviews on it so I guess I'll be the first.

I'll start off by saying that I'm 37, I work out (now) and have been making a very strong effort to eat well and lose about 10 lbs in a healthy way. I'm 5'6 and weigh about 138 lbs. I have had struggles with being chubby and dieting my entire life. In my adulthood my weight has fluctuated between 125 (killing myself working out and eating a diet I can't sustain forever) to 155 (in college being a lazy pig). My body now wants to settle in between around 140, but I'm making a serious effort to get to 130 and stay there.
Even though my body has many flaws, the fat pocket in the front of my armpit that bulges out of all my tank tops kills me. I feel like it makes me appear fatter than I am. No matter how much I work out I also feel as though I can never get any definition in my upper arms because they just hold fat. My forearms are actually very slender so the top of my arms just don't match up. There are many cuts of tops and dresses I will not wear because it accentuates this. I decided since I'm doing my brafat (front axillary fat only, not around the back) I may as mell go for my upper arms as well.

There are very little before and after pictures of removal of axillary fat on the internet. I think part of it is because they don't get the results they want and doctors don't want to post their bad work. I had 3 consultations, 2 in person, and one via email and telephone. The first consultaion I had with the doctor was excellent and he was very honest and didn't try to give me any false hopes. He told me he turns away about 50% of women who ask to have that area done, but that mine is very prominent the way it pops out and that he felt he could make an improvement. Honestly, the only reason I didn't go with him was because he was so expensive, $7300 for upper arms and that little bubble. I just couldn't justify spending that much.
I'm going with my third consultation and even hough he was the lowest price, that is not the reason I chose him. If I didn't like him I would've just put if off for another year. We talked about art and the subtleties of contouring and I think he has a good eye. He is also a licensed surgeon (not plastics though), not just a dermatologist or something. So I have to get all my blood work done tomorrow, I filled my prescription for antibiotics, and have an appointment for Friday to get my smart lipo. I am very excited yet also scared as I never had anything done like this before and am frankly a baby when it comes to stuff like this. I just want to be safe and get a good result. I am not expecting perfection ( I know this area is difficult because of breast tissue) but as long as there is an improvement, and it looks smooth, and natural, and I heal well I will be happy. I will be updating with before photos (I think a lot of reviews without photos are fake) once I take my tattoos out;) Wish me luck.

Congrats on your weight loss and healthy living!  I can't wait to hear how your surgery goes, keep us posted!  Good luck!

tomorrow's the big day!

So tomorrow is the day... I'm pretty nervous:( I'm not telling my family because my mother will freak out (I will never hear the end of it) and I'm hoping by next Sunday on Easter I will be able to completely hide it without anyone suspecting anything. I just started my antibiotics and am putting together a shopping list so I have whatever I need in the house (all low sodium) for the next couple days. I'm attaching before pics. I do not want anyone to see this and recognize my tattoos so I did a horrible jobs of taking them out ha ha. I guess my photoshop skills need some work. I did not change the shape or size of my body in anyway... just covered my tattoos. Notice how my right arm is actually bigger than my left. My right arm is 12" at the widest part and my left is 11.5" at the widest part. I weigh myself every Thursday and was down to 134.5 this morning which makes me pretty happy (130 is my goal).

Front pic before

It didn't upload the first time... most important one.

Thank you for the well wishes everyone! I appreciate it!
I was just saw you post and I hope it went well. I had my arms, bra fat, and back done on 04/03/14 and jts been a week now. All is great! I had the a Smartlipo procedure done.
Hope it all went well!

1day post op

So I'm one day post op. When I got to the doctors office yesterday he told me that he wasn't sure if he was going to use the laser or not on me because he thought my skin would do well and that the laser could cause problems with the thin skin on the inner arm. He ended up not using it and only using PAL. I hope he was right. I'm waiting for my boyfriend to get home to take a shower and change my garment. I am feeling kind of like a zombie where my arms wanna hang forward instead of comfortably at the side of my body. I took a Tylenol 3 last night for the pain and only half of one today. I don't understand how anyone could go back to work the day after something like this. I could barely put on my robe.
So I noticed that I barely have any drainage. Has anyone else experienced this? I've read about people draining so much and I haven't drained through the original pads they put on me yesterday. I know I am really bruised up. I will take post pics later today after I shower and change my garment.

Brafat - I was not allowed to take a full shower after only after the 2nd day post op and with with the band aids on. But I would continue to change the band aid and apply Neosporin on the incisions and change into fresh compression garments. But I managed to wash my private parts, wash my hair, kept myself clean the next day after Smart lipo as I had my follow up appt the day after the procedure. Yes, I've read that some folks returned to work the next day but as for me, I know what to expect so I always schedule the Smart lipo on a Thursday and take off work Friday and recuperate for the weekend and then returned to work on Monday, business as usual and no one would know. But, I continue to wear the compression for a month.
Oh btw, the Smart lipo for arms, arm pit fudge :), and fat above bra line is my 3rd Smart lipo. I have the abdomen and outer thighs done in 2010. Are you also taking antibiotics? You should have been prescribed this. You also need to take Arnica Montana and have some Arnica gel or cream handy as this helps for the bruising. Also, get some Bromelain, you can get this from Wholefoods are Vitamin Shops. Bromelain is found in pineapples, I also have been eating a lot of fresh pineapples NOT canned. Bromelain helps with bruising. Mr. Dr. also gave me Vit C shots to help in healing and bruising. Good luck in your recovery!
Thanks! My doc told me I could shower 24 hours after. I've been on antibiotics and have been eating fresh pineapple and taking a multi v. I'll try to pic up some arnica gel today.

Oops

So I did something kind of stupid. When I left the day of my procedure they had me bandaged up and put an additional sleeve under my garment because the size small actually was a little loose on my arms. I wanted to buy an extra so I can wash one while I wear the other but they only had an extra medium. I decided to take it and just alter it to fit me at home since I was planning on taking in the small anyway. Long story short, after seeing my arms and dreading the idea of my skin sagging I decided tighter was better. I think I made both of my garments WAY TOO TIGHT which may have contributed to the pain I've developed in my forearms and just in general not being able to move much or sleep. Last night I realized how swollen my forearms were(my garments cut off at my elbows). I was literally cutting my circulation off. So on that note maybe if these garments fit me better my first 3 days post wouldn't have been so horrible. I feel better today. I also ordered another garment online. Only problem is that they really don't put any pressure on my bra fat in front and I've been wrapping myself with athletic bandage over my garment to try to hold that area down.

Pic update

These pics are from 2days post op. I was too lazy to take out my tattoos this time so I only put in the back left arm. I guess I also forgot to mention that the first three days were worse than I anticipated. I also can only sleep on my back, I usually sleep on my side. I also put a pillow in between my boyfriend and I, in fear that he'll knock into my arm in his sleep:( I miss cuddling!

1week post op

I didn't know if I could see much of a difference until I took a new pic and put them side by side for comparison. I think it looks more dramatic in pics but I really tried to line up each picture size wise so it's a fair comparison. Also just to be clear, I ended up getting power assisted lipo, not smart lipo. My doctor never used the laser. I'll get into that in another review.

I keep saying I'm going to post an updated pic and haven't yet. I want to take it in the same sports bra and have my boyfriend take it so I can get it the same for comparison. Will do in the next few weeks!
Wow! I see a big difference only one week into your healing. I'd love to see a more recent picture if you wouldn't mind posting!
Hi everyone! I'm going to take some new pics with the final results (5 months post). I'll post them soon! Thanks for the comments:)

5 months post update

Sorry for taking so long to post pics. I wanted someone else to take them but I just did it myself. As you can see in the axillary fat before and after pics ( I put on a sports bra because it pops it out the most), there is barely a difference. I would say I can see they look slightly deflated but that's it. As for my arms I am happy with the results. The main difference between my one week post and now, is that my skin felt extremely loose in the beginning and it has gone back to normal. I do wish my skin was tighter but at this point I'm satisfied with what I'm working with. I also have not been in the gym lately so as I'm about to start working out again, maybe I will post pics a few months down the road when my arms have some more muscle. I think as long as you are realistic about your results, getting the upper arms done is worth it. I can say that I have a few tops and dresses that were very tight in my upper arm area and they fit better now. Now if only they can invent a chamber I can step into that will tighten my skin all over my body, I would be the first in line!

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

before and 5 months post arm pit fat!!!

I had liposuction of the axillary area also! It was 2 weeks ago, I had a lot of bruising and it was numb to the touch. I had a lot of fluid but with massage that went away quickly, however the lumps have been bothering me. Is this normal? I have lumps built up in that area and they are becoming very tender to touch rather than numb. I keep massaging them but is this something I should ask my PS about? Also, should I wear a compression type garment?
I had those lumps for about a month. I massaged them every day after I got out of the shower. They will go away slowly.
Hi I'm getting arm lipo done in 10 days. I'm alone with no one helping me. Will I be able to use my arms to microwave food or reheat food? I'm going to cook everything in advance for the first 4 days....so was curious. I'm staying in an aftercare facility the first night. Thanks
Dr. Vishal Mehta

He seemed really nice at my consultation although it was very brief. I came in for "laser lipo" and paid for it as well. The day of the procedure after I was already drugged up on Ativan etc, as he was marking me up, I asked him a question about the laser. He told me he didn't think I needed it and could cause more problems with the thin skin on the under side of the arm, such as seromas and unevenness. I wouldn't mind this opinion, but I don't understand why he didn't tell me this during my consultation, before I paid for the procedure. This I felt was very unprofessional and strange. For this reason I would not go back to him or recommend him. However, at the two week mark I think I look good and am pleased with my results.