Choosing a Doctor and Scheduling Surgery for This Summer!

So, I have been browsing this site for some time...

So, I have been browsing this site for some time now and finally feel the need to share my own story, as so many of your stories have helped me through this decision. Since I was in grade school I remember being picked on for my large nose. I am Italian and German so I have the typical Italian large nose. I have always avoided side profile pictures and will only stand on my good side in pictures.

A few years ago I was hit in the nose (on accident) and years later found out that my nose was broken. Since then it has gotten even more crooked and my deviated septum has gotten even worse. After seeing an ENT and plastic surgeon they said I have a deviated septum on both sides of my nose and they can submit the septum part of the surgery for pre approval from my insurance company. I would then pay for the cosmetic portion of straightening out the nose and shaving down the bump.

I am so nervous about the whole process, but think that it can't get much worse than I think it looks now. I can't even imagine having the confidence to have pictures taken of me from the side or not look in the mirror and always notice how crooked my nose is.

I have days where I wake up and think, " Am I crazy?" for wanting to do something like this, but then I justify it because my nose wasn't always this crooked. It's getting more and more noticeable, or maybe I am just obsessing over it more. My family and boyfriend are both very supportive of me having the surgery. I was really worried that my parents were going to be upset, but they are not at all.

Please leave any comments or links to your pictures if your nose or situation was similar to mine. Just looking for some support from other people who have been through the same thing. Thanks!!

Few more pictures

I did it! Scheduled my surgery for December. Thoughts on the simulated pictures?

Today I had my consult with Dr. Nayak in St.Louis. I read a ton of reviews about his work from patients of his and decided he was the best doctor. This was the second consultation I had and I knew immediately I made the right choice with Dr. Nayak. I am a teacher so it is hard for me to take off work for more than a few days. I scheduled the surgery right before Christmas break so I will have two weeks so rest and recover. Dr. Nayak informed me that when my nose was broken part of my left side cartilage collapsed and pushed the other side out. That makes a lot of sense and explains why I have trouble breathing. Now, I just wait patiently until December and I am horrible at waiting patiently.
Dr. Nayak was just as described. He took his time with me and told me that he can improve my nose over 90%. He was honest and said there is no such thing as a perfect nose, which is definitely not what I am trying to achieve. I just want a nose that fits my face and lets my other features shine.

What do you guys think of the pics from Dr. Nayak's office that we did on the computer today??

Another Picture

In this picture you can see where part of the cartilage on my left side (the right side in the pic) has collapsed from breaking my nose a few years ago. Dr. Nayak is going to use cartilage from the other side to fix it.

Less than two months away!

Wow, time is just flying by! I am getting so excited, but a little nervous too. I am so lucky to have a wonderful boyfriend who is so supportive and so rare my parents and close friends I have told.
The majority of the surgery is functional so most people have totally understood my decision. That definitely makes it a lot easier. I am going to start working on a list of things I need for recovery. Luckily I am taking off a few days before my Christmas break ( I am a teacher) so I will have a total of almost three weeks from surgery to the day I have to go back to work. I bruise easily so I am glad I will have plenty of time to relax!!! Here are some pictures of the deviated septum that is causing a lot of the breathing problems and sinus issues. I have reoccurring sinus and ear infections and have even ruptured my ear drum because of sinus issues. I will be glad to look and feel like myself again.

Getting excited.....

Every time I start to doubt this decision I look at some pictures that remind me why I am doing this. I know I will have so much more confidence and feel like myself and the me I should be! I would love to connect with other people who are also having December surgeries!

Another nose pic

This is the worst angle. My boyfriend and I were in Chicago for our anniversary and I love this pictire, except for my nose.

One month away!

I'm getting really excited. About a month away from my surgery. I've had so much going on that I haven't really had time to think about it. That's a good thing because I haven't had time to worry and obsess over it either. I'm just praying for a pain free recovery and some time relaxing on the couch in my pajamas.

Found the picture from broken nose.

My best friend had the picture saved from the night my nose was broke. I can't believe I didn't go to the hospital and allowed it to heal completely crooked. At least I have an idea how I will look with a swollen nose!!

Thankful....

Thankful that this crooked nose will be fixed in 19 days!!!!! Oh my!!!! A little nerves are setting in.

In other exciting news!

I'm also engaged! I knew it was coming and knew I wanted my surgery done before the wedding which will be in June! Looking forward to feeling confident on my wedding day and not cringing when I look at the pictures of my nose.