Choosing a Doctor and Scheduling Surgery for This Summer!

So, I have been browsing this site for some time...

So, I have been browsing this site for some time now and finally feel the need to share my own story, as so many of your stories have helped me through this decision. Since I was in grade school I remember being picked on for my large nose. I am Italian and German so I have the typical Italian large nose. I have always avoided side profile pictures and will only stand on my good side in pictures.

A few years ago I was hit in the nose (on accident) and years later found out that my nose was broken. Since then it has gotten even more crooked and my deviated septum has gotten even worse. After seeing an ENT and plastic surgeon they said I have a deviated septum on both sides of my nose and they can submit the septum part of the surgery for pre approval from my insurance company. I would then pay for the cosmetic portion of straightening out the nose and shaving down the bump.

I am so nervous about the whole process, but think that it can't get much worse than I think it looks now. I can't even imagine having the confidence to have pictures taken of me from the side or not look in the mirror and always notice how crooked my nose is.

I have days where I wake up and think, " Am I crazy?" for wanting to do something like this, but then I justify it because my nose wasn't always this crooked. It's getting more and more noticeable, or maybe I am just obsessing over it more. My family and boyfriend are both very supportive of me having the surgery. I was really worried that my parents were going to be upset, but they are not at all.

Please leave any comments or links to your pictures if your nose or situation was similar to mine. Just looking for some support from other people who have been through the same thing. Thanks!!

Few more pictures

I did it! Scheduled my surgery for December. Thoughts on the simulated pictures?

Today I had my consult with Dr. Nayak in St.Louis. I read a ton of reviews about his work from patients of his and decided he was the best doctor. This was the second consultation I had and I knew immediately I made the right choice with Dr. Nayak. I am a teacher so it is hard for me to take off work for more than a few days. I scheduled the surgery right before Christmas break so I will have two weeks so rest and recover. Dr. Nayak informed me that when my nose was broken part of my left side cartilage collapsed and pushed the other side out. That makes a lot of sense and explains why I have trouble breathing. Now, I just wait patiently until December and I am horrible at waiting patiently.
Dr. Nayak was just as described. He took his time with me and told me that he can improve my nose over 90%. He was honest and said there is no such thing as a perfect nose, which is definitely not what I am trying to achieve. I just want a nose that fits my face and lets my other features shine.

What do you guys think of the pics from Dr. Nayak's office that we did on the computer today??

Another Picture

In this picture you can see where part of the cartilage on my left side (the right side in the pic) has collapsed from breaking my nose a few years ago. Dr. Nayak is going to use cartilage from the other side to fix it.

Looking forward to following your journey! I can totally relate to your story, my nose leans to the right due to me being hit in the face as a kid so I can't wait to see how yours turns out! Can't wait to do mine. Yours will be great!! :)
I am Greek and German, and got the Greek nose. I am also going to be having surgery this summer. Best of luck to you, I'll be watching your journey. The simulated images look great :)
Good luck to you too! I will definitely be following your journey as well!
My advice would choose the best surgeon you can afford. Do extensive research and ask for as many before and afters as you can. Also, please be sure to pick a surgeon who does at least 6 rhinoplasties/week-- it is not a surgery where once a week is sufficient. I wouldn't worry how nice the doctor is, how nice his staff is, how pretty his office is etc. Pick someone who will give you the best odds of having a beautiful nose.
I'm also German and Italian, so my original nose was kind of masculine looking ( my mother called it my Roman nose) no your not crazy for wanting this! I have a similar story to you, mine was broken as a child and looked worse as time went on. I recently had surgery and I'm glad I finally did it!
Thank you for your kind words. I stumbled across your profile the other day and thought that we had very similar noses. Yours looks beautiful and natural. Exactly what I would l hope mine would turn out like. :)
Goof luck in your rhinoplasty journey. It is good that you have family support. My story is a bit different. I had a nose op in 2001 but I have always had mixed feelings about my results. Over the years my nose has become worse so decided to have a revision. My rhinoplasty is next Tuesday and hopefully I get the nose that I have always wanted.