30 Years Old, Severe Overjet

I have always hated my teeth and it's greatly...

I have always hated my teeth and it's greatly affected my self confidence but I was too embarrassed to speak to the dentist about fixing them incase they said they were too bad to do anything with. My dad gave me some money and then I saw an ad for 10% off invisilign and thought it's now or never. I emailed the dental surgery and was given an appointment for a couple of days later. The orthodontist explained what happens and gave me a booklet. I had some models taken of my teeth and was sent away to think about it. I went back and discussed it in further detail and saw the models. I had more precise models taken and a series of photo's and xrays. A week later, I was emailed a video simulation of the end resultsĀ and was amazed!! I was told this may not be 100% accurate but anything close to this would be great! I went back to the dentist, discussed the video and payed a deposit and was told the retainers should be back from Mexico in 2 weeks. However, they were ready in a week. I went in and the dentist showed me how to fit them and take them out and gave me a goody bag full of cleaners, toothpaste etc. For 2 days I was in agony! They were so tight and uncomfortable. I tried painkillers, teething gel, sucking ice, cold water which all gave a little relief. I also got an ulcer on my tongue and was told to file down any sharp bits. After 2 days it eased and after about a week or so, I barely know they're in! You get in a routine too with oral hygiene and eating out gets easier. I'm a bit apprehensive about putting the next set in on Monday but I'm well stocked up with teething gel, pain killers,mouth wash etc and I know it'll ease after a couple of days!

Pros:
They really are barely noticable! Some people asked if I'd taken them out when I hadn't.
Can eat whatever you like.
Better oral hygiene.
Stops you from snacking and makes you drink more water!
My teeth are whiter from brushing so often.

Cons:
Pricey
Have to plan your meals and drinks so you can get to the bathroom quickly to clean your teeth.
Only got 2 hours a day off fron wearing them.
Ulcers and pain ... but it is short lived!
Possible "black triangle"
White buttons on teeth may be needed.
May need further retainers.

Set two!

I'm due to change to set two tomorrow but have been quite worried about it due to the pain and discomfort experienced with set one. I decided to put them in today for an hour at a time every few hours to break them in but was completely surprised how comfortable they have been! Slightly tighter than set one at the end of the two weeks but barely noticeable!

Video of Invisilign treatment

Invisilign to fix overjet:

Aligner 3/27 and attatchments fitted.

I was advised to put aligner no 3 in 24 hours before having attachments fitted to loosen them a bit so I put them in yesterday morning. When I got them out of the packet, I noticed big lumps on the aligners and they were really noticeable. The aligners were tighter than the previous ones too.
I went to the dentist this morning and was told the lumps were where the attachments were being placed ( on 11 teeth in total, some teeth have more than one attachment on) . Once the attachments were on and my aligners were in they were alot less noticable. The attachments were matched up to the colour of my teeth. Putting them on took about 10 mins and I had to have my mouth stretched open Wallace and Grommit style! I then had my bottom 2 front teeth skimmed so there's now a small gap inbetween them. Getting the aligners in and out is only slightly harder now. My teeth feel quite rough without aligners in now.

Set 5/27

A couple of people have noticed my attachments but generally people haven't known I have aligners in unless I have said. I have noticed that a couple of teeth with an attachment on have gone discoloured despite all the extra brushing! ! Have got a checkup in 6 days so will see what my ortho says

11 week check up and slenderising teeth

Today I went for a check up and teeth are moving nicely :-) . I was told that he is now leaving it to my discretion as to when my aligners need changing - as early as after 10 days or up to 3 weeks if a couple of teeth aren't moving as quickly as the others. He said I'll know if I need to keep them in longer as the new aligner will feel too tight on particular teeth if too soon. I also had a small gap filed between my 2 top front teeth. This was a really unpleasant sensation and the noise is off putting too. It didn't help that the tool used to do this in a sawing motion caught the roof of my mouth and it bled .... alot! All fine now though except for very slight discomfort. Have got to go back in 8 weeks.

photo without aligners

Due to change to no 6 in 3 days :-)

Set 9 - 1/3 way there!!

I went for a check up today and my ortho mentioned elastics which he never discussed at the beginning ... It's a good job I'd read lots of reviews on here! He then said everything is tracking well and I may not need them but do need a lot of slenderisation in about 6 weeks.

Is the slenderization the same as interproximal reduction (IPR), for movement's sake, or is it some sort of cosmetic thing?  Also, are you starting to see movement yourself, since you're at 9 now?
Hi yes slenderisation is same as IPR. It's for movement but I'm hoping it'll improve my 2 front teeth as they are quite wide. I have noticed a difference with the teeth either side of my 2 front teeth so far
That's great!
Hi! It's interesting that ur doc is letting u decide how long to wear trays. I guess if it were me, I'd most likely just switch out every 10 days lol. It's just such a range of wear time from the 10 days to 21 days. I hope you'll be able to figure it out and let us know about ur experience w this as I'd be interested to hear about it.
He stressed not to rush it and to only change when my teeth are definitely ready. I think the 21day thing was just if a particular tooth was being stubborn. I'm going to reduce the time by a day for tray 6 and see how that feels and then by 2 days for tray 7 etc until I find what's right for me. It's always really tight and tender when I first put a new one in so I'm not sure how I'll know if my teeth are ready. I guess the tightness will just last much longer than usual!
The interproximal reduction (IPR), was it done with a manual tool or a powered tool?  It sounds like it was manual?

It's quite unusual, I think, for doctors to leave the timing of the tray-changing up to you in that way.  Have you found that the timing hasn't been working out with the standard two weeks/tray so far?  It does make sense that some teeth would move faster than others and you should be able to take more time if needed for those.

Are you seeing any changes yet?  Would love an updated picture! :)
Hi yes it was manual. He used a power tool on my bottom tweth which was much less uncomfortable. The timing has been ok and I have known where I've been up to with it being every 2 weeks altough at the end of the 2 weeks I don't feel any tightness so maybe they are ready before. It might be beneficial having a bit of flexibility as if I've not quite stuck to the 22 hours wear for some reason, I have lots of time to make it up before changing. I'll post pics later :-)
Thank you for the picture! :)
Hi hshawcross please post some pictures, would love to see the progress. I just started a week back.
Hi I hope your 1st week hasn't been too uncomfortable ... it does get easier! You'll also get used to brushing your teeth in random places! Will post pics later :-)
Yes agree I have been brushing lot more now days.
I'm glad it's going well for you!
Thank you. Hope yours is too!
Discoloration is, unfortunately, a very common side-effect of Invisalign.  Something about the chemistry of your mouth reacting with the bonding material, etc.  The good news is they can polish it off with pumice, and what's left can be bleached with standard dental bleaching.  At least, that's been my experience.  I know lots of others have had discoloration as well.
Thanks. It's reassuring to know it can be removed! My other teeth are ultra white now so guess this makes the discolouration look worse!
Would you like me to embed your video for you?
Yes please. Sorry, I'm rubbish at things like that!
You just used the URL instead of the embed code.  I've updated it now :).  Unfortunately, it always puts the video above the text so the : is kind of out of place, but we can see the vid now!
Changed! :).  I look forward to seeing the vid!
Hey :) I hope your teeth ease up soon :) From what my ortho told me do not be tempted to switch up your tray early at any point . You must stick to your 2 weeks if that's what you've been told. I know curiosity kicks in , especially when you are eager to feel some relief but best to stick with the correct tray. I'm on my 3rd and they all feel different , obvs the 1st was def by far the worst lol ! Are you going to be wearing Elastics too soon ? To treat your overbite ?
Hi thank you! My ortho said I have to have my 3 set in for 24 hours before he puts attachments on and then made me an appointment for a monday when that's the day I change sets so I'm slowly having yo push the day to a Sunday. He's never mentioned elastics. Did you get told about them when you 1st got your aligners?
Yeah he mentioned them straight off for my overbite . He wears Invisalign with the elastics too ! Lol . So that's reassuring :)
Yeah very reassuring! I've never had elastics mentioned to me but at least I'm aware of them now, thank you! I have an over jet rather than an overbite so that's maybe why.
Ahh I see , that's why they haven't been mentioned . I'm sure there are some reviews on here with the same teeth issues :)
Hi and welcome to our Invisalign community!!!  It says at the top that you start on the 31st, but in your review it sounds like you already started.  Did I misinterpret something?  If it's just a typo, I can help you fix it :).  And also, if you need help posting pictures or anything else technical, please let me know.  I'm here to help!