Finally... Rhinoplasty (UK)

So I have decided to keep a diary of my journey...

So I have decided to keep a diary of my journey through the rhinoplasty process. I have spent hours and hours researching rhinoplasty but I feel what has been most beneficial has been reading others reviews so I have decided to do the same in order to help others :)

Like most on here I have wanted a rhinoplasty for as long as I can remember. I have a large bump on my nose and a bulbous tip that droops when I smile. I am now 22 years old and finally the right time has came along for me to book the procedure.

I have been to two consultations with different surgeons. I had my heart set on a very reputable surgeon in Scotland, Awf Quaba, who is based in Edinburgh Scotland (which is around 2 and a half hours away from where I live). However, my local hospital was holding consultations with a plastic surgeon so I thought it would benefit me to go along and get his opinion.

The consultation cost £200 and lasted around 20 minutes. I was briefed about what the procedure would involved and was able to ask a few questions. However, I felt the consultation was quite rushed and left knowing that he wasn't the surgeon for me. I recommend going to see at least two different surgeons if possible as it is great to be able to make a comparison between consultations.

The second consultation was on the 31st of April with Dr Awf Quaba at the Edinburgh Spire Hospital. From the initial introduction with Dr Quaba I instantly felt confident with him. The consultation started off by asking what I wanted done and what I wanted to change. He then took pictures of me and displayed them on his laptop to allow for discussion. Dr Quaba talked in great detail about the entire procedure with me and by the end he had completely answered all my questions. I left the consultation feeling completely confident with Dr Quaba and have now booked my rhinoplasty for the 17th of July!

I will post photos on here in the near future!

Pictures

Thought I would post some pictures of what my nose looks like.... I know pictures helped in my research :)

1 month to go!

So there is just one month to go now. Getting extremely nervous about the operation. Eeeek!

Tomorrow is the day!

So tomorrow is the big day. Absolutely terrified but excited at the same time!

All done!

I can't believe I can say that it's done! I've been waiting so long for this that it feels strange that it's over. Surgery went really well. Have been in no pain whatsoever. Will update my review later with a detailed account of the surgery process with some pictures :). Thank you all for the lovely comments.

Surgery Day

So yesterday was surgery day. Had to check into the hospital at 11. The surgery was scheduled for 2:30pm but once I got there I was told it would be 1pm which was better as it saved waiting around. The nurse took my blood pressure and went through some questions. I then changed into my surgery gown. The lady who was administering the anaesthetic came to go over it with me which put me at ease as she was lovely and very caring. Just before surgery Dr Quaba came to see me and we went over the procedure again in detail which settled me more.

It was then time! I had to walk to the operating theatre but a lovely nurse came with me and stayed until I was put to sleep. I was asked to lay down on the table while they put the needle in the back of my hand (which wasn't painful at all)! The next thing I knew I was in recovery! The anaesthetic was honestly nothing to worry about and I really was terrified!

I returned to my room at around half 3 and it was then I began feeling sick. I was given an anti sickness tablet which got rude of that!

The rest of the day was pretty straight forward. I slept on and off and just chilled out. There was no pain whatsoever just uncomfortable breathing through your mouth!

The nurses at Spire Edinburgh and Dr Quaba were amazing!

Day 1?

Today would be day 1 after surgery I presume. Had a decent nice sleep except for walking up a few times due to breathing through my mouth.

The packing was removed thus morning which wasn't as big a deal as I thought at all. The nurse took both sides out at the same time and it was over in seconds!

I then got discharged at 9:30am. Today has been pretty up eventful. My eyes are bruised and puffy but they are not uncomfortable. I will attach pictures soon :)

Surgery day pictures

Day 1 pictures

Brusing hasn't changed too much. Eyes looking a bit puffy but no pain at all.

Little update!

So today is now day 4 after surgery. Recovery has been very uneventful. I've been feeling great, it just feels like I have a cold. Sleeping has been a lot easier than I thought and I've been getting decent rest which I think is helping a lot with recovery. Brusing is going down each day as well as the puffiness around my eyes.

Just counting down the days until Friday morning when I get my cast off!! :)

Day 5 post op!

Starting to be able to breathe through my nose now yay. Swelling is basically down, except it does come and go. Smile is beginning to come back which I am desperate for it to!

Nothing really to report in these last few days. I'm feeling really good and just so excited to get the cast off!!

The big reveal!

So today I got my cast off..... SOO HAPPY!!
I have included a picture to compare before and after. Will post more later with a review of getting my cast off :)

Cast off

I got the cast off on Friday. It was taken off my two nurses. Taking the cast off wasn't painful at all, just a strange feeling having people touching and pulling at your nose when you've been so protective of it for that week! After they took the cast off, the stitches were then removed. They were more difficult to take out due to them being very small and tight. The small pain only lasts a few seconds so it really is nothing to worry about.
After the stitches were removed, I was then given a mirror to look at my new nose. Very very weird looking at it for the first time. I was instantly happy! Even when they started trying to point out the swelling, I couldn't care as it is more than I had ever hoped for!
I can now say that Mr Quaba truly is amazing. Throughout the whole process I felt like he genuinely cared about my happiness overall. Delighted :)

Smiling

Yay no longer drops when I smile!

Fantastic Rhinoplasty Results!

I recently underwent rhinoplasty to correct a large hump and droopy tip of the nose. After many years of research I decided to book a consultation with Me Quaba due to his fantastic reputation. Mr Quaba was fantastic from beginning to end. You can tell he is genuinely interested in your happiness due to his caring and determined approach. Most importantly I received the results I have dreamed of and so much more. Cannot recommend him enough!

Update!

I am now 6 weeks post op! Sorry I haven't updated! I am a teacher and term started two weeks ago so have been extremely busy.

Everything is going great. Didn't have much swelling but what I did have is starting to really come down. The only issue I have is that I can still get quite congested, especially in the evenings. I am hoping this goes soon! Other than that everything is great.

Some of my best friends who I hadn't told didn't even noticed a difference with my nose, even when pointed out. Just goes to show how something so big to you can mean so little to someone else!

I have included some pictures that have been taken recently.
Edinburgh Plastic Surgeon

Mr Quaba was fantastic from beginning to end. You can tell he is genuinely interested in your happiness due to his caring and determined approach. Can't recommend him enough!

your nose looks amazing! I have surgery with Mr Quaba in 13 days! soooo nervous, reading your post has actually calmed the nerves a bit, you look great :)
Thank you! You are in good hands trust me! If you want to ask me any questions send me a message :)
New pics are fab - your nose looks brilliant! Three weeks today for me, getting nervous now!
Thank you :). I was so nervous but don't worry about it as the anticipation is so much worse!
Sounds like you've had a really good experience. Really like your natural looking results. Congrats :)
Thank you! :)
looks awesome!! very natural looking yet. I would like a similar result
Thank you. I am so pleased :). Has everyone says it looks like the nose I should have had! Haha
that's the goal right? that's exactly what you want to hear. every one ive told that I want a nose job says I don't need one but im thinking if I go through with it and have results like yours people will see what I am talking about. I hope lol did anyone give you a hard time about getting one or did everyone support your decision?
Hey how is everything now. Would love to see some updated photos of how your nose is looking. :)
I have added some pictures now. Everything is going really well thank you! Can't believe it's been 6 weeks!
Hi icam92, how are you getting on with the whole swelling front? And have you been out and about yet? Also have people noticed or are they like "there's something different about you but their not quite sure what haha"
Hi! I'm getting on great. Face isn't swollen anymore. Nose is slightly but nothing notice. Will add some more photos. Yeah I've been out in public a good few times now haha. I've not actually been round a lot of people who don't know, mainly just my friends. Although I was out in town shopping and a few people waved so I am still recognisable haha!
Few thank goodness hahaha. Aw so glad to hear your on the move..must be nice not hiding indoors when you had the cast on. You seem to have had a nice easy recovery! That's what I hope for when I eventually have mine done..fingers crossed. Quaba has done a great job
Hi me again! I am a bit concerned about swelling too - my op is on a Thursday and I have 10 days off so will be back at work 3-4 days after taking my cast off. Do you think that will be OK? I know you can only comment from your own experience, and you look like you don't have much swelling at all? I have seen some post op pics on here and some people have a LOT of swelling!
Hi there. Yeah I was worried about the swelling too but even my swollen nose was definitely an improvement from my old nose! I think you will definitely be fine my only concern was the black eyes which I managed to cover more or less with make up. I really didn't have a lot of swelling at all (well it doesn't look like obvious swelling anyway!) it's so difficult to judge how your nose is going to cope!! Haha!
You are beautiful! We are about on the same timeline. I had my surgery on the 18th. Our swelling will decrease slowly and our results will be even more amazing. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you so much. I've been following your post too. You are looking fantastic!! I still have small traces of my black eyes and I wish they would go away now!!
Oh my goodness me too. It's super annoying! I guess I should be happy I'm healing so well but it'd be lovely to not look like I was in a fight! They are almost gone though, thankfully.
WOW u look great. This is how i wanted my nose to turn out! All the best with healing, u already look like u are healing very well :)
Thank you so much. I'm really sorry you didn't get the result you wanted. I seem to be healing well yeah! He black eyes are still hanging around ever so slightly. It just looks like I need a really good sleep haha. Hopefully they will be gone soon. Thank you for your comment :)
You look wonderful! Congrats!!1