Island Hopeful

I'm a 23 year old woman of Afro-Caribbean descent...

I'm a 23 year old woman of Afro-Caribbean descent interested in rhinoplasty. I love the ethnic shape of my nose, but I dislike the size/width of my nostrils & hope to have them reduced. Growing up, it was always nice to have something that nodded towards my ancestry and visibly linked me to my mother. So, much of the delay in getting around to this has been about heritage/pride, but I'm now a grown woman who can't do something as simple as throw my head back and laugh without feeling self conscious or swim (using proper technique) without somehow taking in water! I'm still researching procedure types, but for now I'm fairly certain that I don't want my septum involved at all, if possible.

Currently looking for surgeons in the US who're adept at maintaining (and appreciating) a nose's 'ethnic' character! Suggestions welcome (:

UK/EU Surgeons and Timing

So, due to time constraints and impending employment, I've decided to focus on surgeons my side of the Atlantic. I love the work of Dr. Oelbrandt (MANY thanks to AmelVa for the recommendation) and am awaiting confirmation for my consultation date in May. I'm going to a wedding June 1, graduation on July 14 and a convention August 22, so it's looking like September is going to be it. I'd love to have it sooner, but I'm worried the swelling wont subside fast enough between these picture heavy events. There's roughly 6 weeks between each event, but I dunno, is that long enough? I don't want to feel rushed or like my healing is on a schedule. Thoughts?

Consultation

So I had my consultation with Dr. Oelbrandt yesterday and first off, the receptionist was lovely so I immediately felt less anxious. Dr. Oelbrandt is extremely understanding and very knowledgable. I went in sort of hell bent on a closed rhinoplasty because the pictures of open rhinoplasties terrify me and I wanted to minimize recovery time. He explained to me using images and demonstrations how internal incisions would only create a minimal change in my case (because of my bulbous tip) and I would no doubt later want revision surgery. I went in thinking the problem was partially my tip but mainly the width of my nostrils, only to see (after measurements and considerations of my bridge and profile) that the size of my nostrils is actually just exaggerated by the bulbous nature of my tip.

He recommended an open rhinoplasty with trimming of skin/cartilage, in order to create a more defined tip. In doing so, my nostrils would appear smaller anyway, but if still bothersome, I could have an alar base nostril reduction. But the first and most important order of business is tip refining, in order to give a more delicate finish to my face (imo).

I'm attaching a photo of a beauty guru who's nose I like and that Dr. Oelbrandt said I can expect similarities to if and when the tip of my nose is defined more. Obviously it won't be exactly like hers, but it was a huge relief to hear since her nose is in no way European and I'd still be able to maintain my heritage on my face (: I'm very much looking forward to hearing about fafa444's experience and any other Afro/Carib girls in Europe, definitely check out Dr. Oelbrandt - he's all about maintaining ethnic integrity and realistically matching your goals, to your face. He's worked on Afro/Carib and other ethnicities before, and while they're not online (I'm guessing privacy clauses and such), before and after photos can be seen in a presentation at your consultation. He doesn't push anything on you, but he does remind you that often experienced surgeons can see what the client can't or won't - so go with an open mind.

My procedure includes 4 - 5 'points', general descriptors of what he intends to do and why/with what result (which is great in the surgeon decision making process for those of us not familiar with medical terms) and for that, I was quoted £3200 or approx. $5400 for any US readers interested in the price/value comparison. That price included all check ups, surgery and anesthesia (I will be out cold thank God lol). Pretty sure I. Going to spend my first week in Belgium, rather than the recommended two hotel nights just because I've never been and I have zero interest in traveling on the Eurostar with a bandaged face? Apparently everyone does it but I'm not that brave!

Anyway this has gone way over, please excuse any typos as I'm on my mobile.. I hope this is a helpful update and that anyone looking into Dr. Oelbrandt has had some questions answered (:

Glad you found a surgeon, I'll be following your story .we have a lot of parallels in terms of ancestry and rhino needs lol! Soo im wishing you a happy journey.
Heya!! I went with Dr. Oelbrandt! He's absolutely lovely and did everything I asked of him perfectly~ I need to update my review but I'm 7 months post op and extremely happy with the results! I'll update soon
Oh awesome! Thanks I will check it out soon (:
Hi im so happy ive found this site and the reviews on it. Ive also had a consultation with Dr Oelbrandt and im bookedin for July :). Dr Oelbrandt and Dr Van will be doing it ive also read good reviews on Dr Van. I was laughed at your EuroStar comment and thinking the same thing its gonna be horrible coming home all banged up looking lol. Oh well. My procedure is priced at 3800. Im having bridge refinement, alter base reduction, nostrils shortened and a small strut put in
wow i wish you good luck... i'm becoming increasingly intrigued by dr oelbrandt...i always thought that ill have to save up and go to america for my rhinoplasty because of my very typical "black nose", but i will much rather remain close to home...can you please upload before and after pics, even if you wanna protect your identity you can cover your eyes like i did.
Wait so he told you that a closed rhino will only show minimal change? cause what you wanted did not seem unreasonable thru a closed procedure
Yeah, I thought so too but I was also going in with the hope of getting an alar wedge resection/nostril reduction, because imo my nostrils are my issue. But he feels that a nostril reduction alone won't make me happy because my aesthetic issue is actually my tip (I'l probably post a side profile this week so it's more clear how large it is). Ultimately, he just feels that closed rhino would lead me to come back for more surgery. I'm planning another consultation with a London surgeon to see if his comments/recommendations are similar.
Lemme know what the other surgeon says! My surgeon is breaking my bridge, removing cartilage from the tip and reducing the nostrils all thru closed procedure so I was just shocked that was his answer. Keep me updated and don't forget the pics :)
yeah. i agree. i and closed rhino and i and a bulbous tip, and 1 yr post, there is little refinement. i will be having a revision next year with open rhinoplasty. i think you should listen to your doctor.
wow your nose looks really good..
Hi can anyone tell me the doctors full name thanks
Hi girls!! I have my "ethnic" rhinoplasty with dr Oelbrandt next month on may 27th Happyyy^^ Will start my second review soon ( first one was breast augmentation) Ps: sorry for my english i come from switzerland)
Ahh so excited for you! My consultation is next month, I can't wait. All the best and keep us updated! :D
Hey girl am happy that you decided to see Oelbrant. I hope you like him. I think his methods are not invasive so If you choose him your swelling wont be bad. Chevk gemcateyes here on realself. She had her surgery witj him
how do you see dr oelbrants before and after pictures
Our noses are very similar and I am also in the process if finding a doctor that does ethnic rhinoplasty and it's stressful! How did you do that edit to show what you wanted your nose to look like?
I used an app called Plastic Surgery Simulator Lite. It's really basic, stretching and shrinking but if you play around with it enough you can produce something decent. All the best in your search!
Thank you for starting your story on RealSelf! Has anyone ever told you that you have the most beautiful skin? Jealous!

Here's an interview with a board certified plastic surgeon about ethnic rhinoplasties. Good luck on your search and please keep us posted on your process!
Aw, thank you for the lovely welcome and the link! This is such a refreshing community, I'll definitely keep you updated (:
I understand that it's just an edit. You want a conservative look from what you said in your lil story, try and look into Dr Boahene, Dr Epstein and Dr Whiteman. There are more doctors but I believe Boahene would do a good job. You arre very pretty already, you just need a "refinement".
You are too kind, thank you! Thanks for those suggestions.
Dr. Boahene did mine and I would absolutely recommend him!
Your desired result does not seem unreasonable. Good luck.
thank you!