Residual Dorsal Hump

First of all, I am sorry that my story cannot be...

First of all, I am sorry that my story cannot be as inspiring as others here on RealSelf. However, I am obligated to be brutally honest with you wanderers of the Internet. I will tell the whole truth, both the good and the extraordinarily bad. (In advance, prepare for a melodramatic rambling)

Where to begin? Adolescence. Like so many other girls on this site, my nose "blossomed" in middle school. Other girls my age kept their cute or elegant looking noses, but mine transformed into a stern Roman nose. As time went on, the feature grew to dominate my face and I frequently felt like the elephant in the room. I began to feel self-conscious about my obnoxious nose. As silly as it sounds, I even developed social anxiety because of it.

In my late years of high school, I was determine to rid myself of such of an abominable feature. I began to work and test out of college classes so that I could afford a rhinoplasty. To put it lightly, I whole-heartily sought this procedure. However, when the day of the surgery arrived, I felt like I was making a terrible mistake. I worried about the potential risk of winding up with a deformity or having to get a revision rhinoplasty. In retrospect, I think I should have trusted this anxious feeling.

Two-weeks after the procedure, I had the splint removed. My initial reaction was shock: the result was devastating. The very cornerstone of my insecurity remained despite the thousands of dollars I had earned to remove it. My nose looked the exact same: it appeared as though my surgeon had not even touched it.

Currently, I am four weeks post-op and finally I have found peace about my nose. To put it bluntly, it is still terrible. However, I simply do not care any more. If my surgeon can amend the persistent hump. Good. If not. Good. I can find some way to take attention from my nose if I must be forced to live with it. I can wear glasses, wear specific hairstyles, ect. At least now I am not as desperate to have a revision rhinoplasty as I was to get it done in the first place.

To all who read my story, thank-you. Very few people in my personal life know about my rhinoplasty nor my motives. I am so grateful to be able to be open about my experience and share it. I hope that all who read it can learn something from my experience.

I am starting to feel a little bit better about my...

I am starting to feel a little bit better about my results. I do not believe I can yet say I am satisfied with my nose, but that is okay for right now. In my one-month post opt appointment yesterday I discussed my concerns with my surgeon. He said that it was just scar tissue and it would subside with time. Also, he told me that if it did not calm down and even out he could remove it. The procedure would be a simple and in his office. Apparently this "secondary" procedure is fairly common because I have read numerous other reviews mention it.
Although I still have my suspicion that the hump is bone, it is comforting to know my surgeon is ready to take action to amend it.

I still resent my procedure. However, like many of...

I still resent my procedure. However, like many of you lovely ladies have noticed, my nose is appreciably smaller. Unfortunately , just because my nose has a different size does not mean it looks good.
Luckily, I think I have found a way to disguise my dorsal hump for now. :) (Glasses!)

I personally really like your new nose, but it's ultimately how YOU feel about it that's important, and so I am sorry that you aren't too crazy about it :( Is it possible that the small hump is a result of swelling that occurred during your healing time that decided to stick around? Sometimes these things happen, and there's no real way to anticipate them. :( I agree though, there are shots you can get to help out the issue; I've heard on a few reviews of people getting steroid shots or something to reduce swelling that's being stubborn.
I hear the residual can be a bony spur or just swelling. It Chou opt for filler I hear it can cause a lot of scar tissue and be a problem if you choose to have a revision in e future. If you k ow you won't have another, filler should do the trick. We are our own worst critics though aren't we?
Thank-you for the advice! To me, fillers seem not worth it as they are only a temporary solution. Well, I saw your pictures and I think once the cast is removed, you are going to love your nose!!
Hi there, I think that you look very pretty and attractive. Keep in mind that tiny hump is not that detrimental to how your nose looks. Sometimes when too much is removed nose becomes scooped out. Large nose and droopy tip that what makes it unatractive and you don't have it. Also in such close-up photos very few noses look great. Look at Jennifer Lopez 3/4 pics she definitely has a residual dorsal hump :) Please don't listen to negative comments from people that had bad rhinoplasty. It seems to me that they just feel a bit better when someone else feels just a bit worst. And don't even be anxious how others perceive you. Truth is they do not see your nose. They only care about their own. That is way most of the time nobody notices that one had a nose job.
Thank-you so much! Your comment brightened my day :)
Good luck to you. I hope it de-swells in a way that surprises you and pleases you. I don't know if it's true, but I am not going to wear glasses for 3 months, because I don't want permanent indentations from them.
Yep, not wearing glasses is probably best for a healing nose. I have seen your pictures, and dang, girl, your results are so natural looking! Thank-you for the advice and I hope you continue to heal so beautifully.
I also started wearing glasses as a way to camouflage the weird shape and flaws I was left with after my rhinoplasty. I used to hate wearing glasses and always had my readers on top of my head but now I'm too self-conscious to be seen without them. Hope it gets better for you.
Glasses can be a wonderful disguise for a bad nose. :) I think somehow they distract away from the most prominent feature on the face. Well, I hope that you find a good revision surgeon and are soon able to live life without being so self-conscious. Always being anxious about the way you look is never a good way to live.
Thanks very much. Every time I look in the mirror, I long to see the old me. :)
In my opinion, you shouldn't even put on glasses at 1 month post op. I only started wearing 3D glasses at the movies at 3 months post op. The bone in the upper area changes in the first few months (I had quite a lot of scar tissue in that area which i could feel under my skin for quite a lot of time). But stop wearing glasses, please :)
Quick question: Did your scar tissue ever subside? Anyway, thank-you for the advice. I think I will limit how often I wear them while I am still in the early stages of recovery.
Oh yes, it really subsided. My scar tissue surrounded all the bony area of my nose, it wasn't localized like yours, mine was everywhere. I could feel the indentations under my skin. In time, they got smaller and smaller (but the regression was not symmetric). The changes from one month to another can be quite notable. I'm at 4.5 months now and my not is not even close to healed. Just be patient and follow your doctor's recommendations. And please, stop wearing glasses. They alter the shape of your nose bridge in this stage.
Damn shame..I feel for you. I do like the character of yuour old nose..
To begin with, thank-you for your sympathy :) From the pictures I have posted, I understand why you would prefer my old nose. However, you cannot really appreciate the full glory of my old nose in the pictures. It was a monster. Not only was it large, but it was extraordinarily misshaped. Now, my nose is only crooked.
I can really relate to how you feel - I had a bad rhinoplasty the first time around. After realizing that my results were way off (my nose was very crooked whereas before it was fine, and the bridge was still very wide - it seemed like he had only made things worse) I found another doctor who made some slight modifications to the tip but felt uncomfortable doing a complete revision, fearing it would "collapse". This was all about 15 years ago. Fast forward to last year, and I found this site and started seriously thinking about doing a revision. I dreaded going through the pain and discomfort again, but I seriously hated my nose. I had never gotten over feeling self-conscious about it. I found a really good doctor, had the procedure in December, and even though I am still quite swollen (apparently due to the fact that my nose has been operated on 3 times, and I have thick, oily skin) I can already tell my results are good, and I am feeling better about myself overall. You have only just had the surgery, but have you considered seeking out some of the really well-respected names in rhinoplasty (you may have to travel) and getting second opinions from them? I know you must dread the idea of saving up again, but for me the answer was to find someone very well-reviewed who does only rhinoplasties. I just wanted to suggest this. I'm so sorry you didn't get the results you wanted, it is so disappointing. But another doctor might be able to give you wonderful results. I worry that your current doctor will never do right by you...that's how I feel about my original doctor all those years ago. There are a lot of doctors that just aren't qualified, in my opinion. Just my 2 cents! I wish you the best no matter what you decide!
It is so wonderful to hear you had a good procedure! I hope everything continues to go well for you. In regards to my procedure, I am going to get a second opinion before I get a "touch-up." If a full revision rhinoplasty is necessary, then I guess I will have to wait a long time, just like you had to.
Have you asked your doc to explore non-surgical corrective permanent injections? Its definitely something he should offer for free. My doc says they are pretty common in achieving a refined result for an unpredicted rhinoplasty, like straightening the bridge or correcting asymmetry.. Worth looking into! P.S. You still looking stunningly beautiful and natural, certainly not ruined :)
Thank-you for the advise! Next time I see my surgeon, I should definitely inquire about such options. A little while ago, he explained to me a similar procedure: an in office touch-up. I do not know exactly how much it will cost, but I think it should be relatively inexpensive.
you have a great sense of humour and excellent writing skills ! ... as for your nose, I hope it will settle down to a beautiful result :)
Thank-you for such a nice comment! :) I hope it does diminish as well. Maybe in a few months it will be better.
Hi. You may not be 100% happy yet, but honestly it is gorgeous even with a lot of healing to go, and will get better with time. Hang in there! :)
Aw, thank-you so much for the encouragement! I have seen your pictures and am so stunned with the results. You look fantastic!!
Do not worry yet. One month post op you still have tons of swelling and some of it does feel hard but than it goes away. I am 3 months post op and I still have swelling at the top of my bridge and my tip. I too need to have a touch up which I am waiting to do. My surgeon said he can do it at 3 1/2 months so I am probably going to get this done in a month but it is very common from my understanding. Ever after 6 months there is still some residual swelling. I have a feeling your nose will look great. Mine was way better out of the cast and for the first few months than I started seeing things I didn't like. Now we know what those things are since mast of the swelling is gone. I am going to have a procedure in the office as well but decided to go under twilight as I don't like local and really do not want to know what he is doing in my nose. I want to wake up and be done with it. Good luck and keep us posted. Glad you are feeling better about your nose.
I hope your swelling goes down on your bridge and tip. Bruising certainly can be bothersome. When you get your touch-up, I bet most of the problems you see on your nose will go away. So keep up the optimistic attitude :)