Residual Dorsal Hump

First of all, I am sorry that my story cannot be...

First of all, I am sorry that my story cannot be as inspiring as others here on RealSelf. However, I am obligated to be brutally honest with you wanderers of the Internet. I will tell the whole truth, both the good and the extraordinarily bad. (In advance, prepare for a melodramatic rambling)

Where to begin? Adolescence. Like so many other girls on this site, my nose "blossomed" in middle school. Other girls my age kept their cute or elegant looking noses, but mine transformed into a stern Roman nose. As time went on, the feature grew to dominate my face and I frequently felt like the elephant in the room. I began to feel self-conscious about my obnoxious nose. As silly as it sounds, I even developed social anxiety because of it.

In my late years of high school, I was determine to rid myself of such of an abominable feature. I began to work and test out of college classes so that I could afford a rhinoplasty. To put it lightly, I whole-heartily sought this procedure. However, when the day of the surgery arrived, I felt like I was making a terrible mistake. I worried about the potential risk of winding up with a deformity or having to get a revision rhinoplasty. In retrospect, I think I should have trusted this anxious feeling.

Two-weeks after the procedure, I had the splint removed. My initial reaction was shock: the result was devastating. The very cornerstone of my insecurity remained despite the thousands of dollars I had earned to remove it. My nose looked the exact same: it appeared as though my surgeon had not even touched it.

Currently, I am four weeks post-op and finally I have found peace about my nose. To put it bluntly, it is still terrible. However, I simply do not care any more. If my surgeon can amend the persistent hump. Good. If not. Good. I can find some way to take attention from my nose if I must be forced to live with it. I can wear glasses, wear specific hairstyles, ect. At least now I am not as desperate to have a revision rhinoplasty as I was to get it done in the first place.

To all who read my story, thank-you. Very few people in my personal life know about my rhinoplasty nor my motives. I am so grateful to be able to be open about my experience and share it. I hope that all who read it can learn something from my experience.

I am starting to feel a little bit better about my...

I am starting to feel a little bit better about my results. I do not believe I can yet say I am satisfied with my nose, but that is okay for right now. In my one-month post opt appointment yesterday I discussed my concerns with my surgeon. He said that it was just scar tissue and it would subside with time. Also, he told me that if it did not calm down and even out he could remove it. The procedure would be a simple and in his office. Apparently this "secondary" procedure is fairly common because I have read numerous other reviews mention it.
Although I still have my suspicion that the hump is bone, it is comforting to know my surgeon is ready to take action to amend it.

I still resent my procedure. However, like many of...

I still resent my procedure. However, like many of you lovely ladies have noticed, my nose is appreciably smaller. Unfortunately , just because my nose has a different size does not mean it looks good.
Luckily, I think I have found a way to disguise my dorsal hump for now. :) (Glasses!)

Revision Required

The story behind my revision decision:

Nearly a year after the procedure, I was still trying to accept the results (as a college student, revision rhinoplasty is a distant dream). However, I was worried that more than just aesthetics were wrong with my nose. I made an appointment with my original surgeon and three others in the neighboring city. My original doctor confirmed that the results were indeed bad, but he did not fully examine it. He offered to do a "minor touch up" (which I now know would have worsened my condition). I was a little relieved after speaking with him; he said it was structurally secure, so what did I have to worry about?
Flash forward a few weeks, I am in the office of a facial reconstruction surgeon hearing what I thought was the worst news ever. I have a severe internal valve collapse. Shocking, but believable. Finally I had an explanation to my worsening breathing and amorphous nasal shape. The other doctors (an ENT and expert revision rhinoplasty surgeon confirmed this diagnoses.)
Now, after serious contemplation about how much I value my breathing, I have a revision rhinoplasty scheduled. Therefore, the rest of my "journey" will be documented in a revision rhinoplasty review.
All I have to say after spending as much time and money on my nose is be educated. Know the ends and outs of the procedure when interviewing potential surgeons. Also, it helps if he (or she) is specialized in rhinoplasty (so probably a facial plastic surgeon).
To any who read this entry, thank you for your time.