Nd:yag 1064nm for Broken Capillaries on Nose: WARNING - Can Cause Scarring! - London, UK

Some background: I am 30 years old and have been...

Some background: I am 30 years old and have been suffering from moderate Rosacea for a few years and have sought various treatments with varied result. I had a series of IPL treatments two years ago, which initially helped, but then gradually my skin changed in texture, became much less elastic, more sensitive and rough (enlarged pores, more lines, more melasma etc). After having read about others with similar experiences on this forum I understood that this was due to the IPL and have ruled this out as a treatment. I also tried Pulsed Dye Laser, with bruising, with little results. My dermatologist suggested that this is due to the fact that my rosacea is not very severe and that the laser does not respond so well to smaller vessels.

The treatment: Realising that there is little I can do to radically improve my Rosacea, apart from antibiotics and observing a good diet and life style, I decided to just take care of a few persistent red veins on the side of my nose. My dermatologist recommended Nd:yag 1064 nm (I believe the make is Fotona). I had the treatment on Monday, it is now Thursday. The treatment was unpleasant and afterwards I was left with two hard blisters, on each side of my nose. These blisters burst by themselves - I believe in the shower - on the Tuesday and I was left with two scabs AND (to my horror) these scabs were formed in small indentations - looking as if there are chickenpox marks to be formed. I called my dermatologist who asked me to come in and see her. She calmly explained that this is very common (!), something which I was not at all informed about beforehand (would I have known I would never have undergone the procedure). She suggested we wait, let the scabs heal and fall off, and then lift the skin to make it even. She claims that it will go back to normal after this - something which I am VERY sceptical about. I have now read about others who were left with holes after burns - irreversible damage. I am absolutely devastated. From a few broken capillaries I am now left with potential pitted scars, for life. My advice to you: DO NOT DO IT! My dermatologist is, supposedly, one of the best in London. I did a lot of research before seeing her and she has years of experience. I wish someone would have told me about the risks.

Hi. The same thing happened to me! I also was talked into the YAG laser at a Plastic Surgeon's to remove broken capillaries by my nose and nostril area. However, it was a "tech" that ran the laser machine, and she burned me. She even said I would blister. After the blisters popped a couple days later, I was left with 2 indented holes. I went to I waited 2 months, and had filler put in the holes, but it did NOTHING. Then I saw 2 dermatologists, and each of them said they would not to subscision because the scar it leaves could look even more noticeable. They seem to be getting bigger and stretched out. Has anyone done needling?
Hello all - Please can someone tell me about how I can fix my pitted scars through surgery? And possibly where? I have 6 pitted scars on my nostrils duet to the yag laser and they make me feel sick. Any help appreciated.
Hi everyone, I was just reading through this post and was wondering if ANYONE has a situation similar to mine, i had a 5 minute yag laser session to remove a few broken blood vessels on and around the nose, I scabbed, and it was a bit unpleasant, but the scabs came off after a few weeks and I thought everything was fine. NEARLY 2 MONTHS LATER, a week after having a hydrafacial (which is extremely gentle), my skin began to freak out like i've never seen before. It went TOTALLY dry, little bumps everywhere, and my texture of cheeks has changed. Pores are way more visible, I see fine lines under eyes that I never had, and the newest thing is the burning sensation. My face burns so bad I cry literally all day. I've been to 2 derms who say nothing is wrong and they suspect contact dermatitis. I don't understand what happened to me. I'm always super gentle with my skin, up until now I was using Dr.Haushcka products, now I can't tolerate them. Im using psoria gold the sensitive version because I fear this is laser damage. Has the laser caused damaged all over myface when it never touched anywhere but the nose area? How can my face burn like this? No one has answers, and I can't live like this much longer. My life has been destroyed by this. The worst part is not knowing what happened or how to make the pain stop.
I don't think that you have laser damage. Sounds more like allergy to me. Your face burning is a sign of allergy or increased sensitivity. I would suspect that your hydafacial kicked this process off, not the laser... (Speaking from someone who has permanent scarring from the YAG).
Hi Denise thank you so very much for responding! Can you please explain your tag experience to me? Where you had it done how many times? When did damage occur what does it look/feel like? I'm so sorry to ask so many questions I just feel like I'm losing my mind here trying To figure out what happened to my skin. I've yet to talk to anyone else who had yag! If you want to private message me that would be wonderful, i would love to pick your brain.
Hi- I have had a few treatments over the years with different lasers (laser genesis, the YAG which left me with an indented scar on my nose) and BBL and VBeam. I am in Ontario in Canada. They were all to reduce rosacea (broken capillaries). The YAG treatment was only around my nose and I first blistered on that small area on my nose and then was left with an indented scar. It did not affect any other part of my face so I am hesitant to think that the laser would have the effect that you are describing. Have you tried just using water only (tepid) temperature and nothing else? What did the hydrafacial do exactly?
The hydrafacials are very gentle facials. I had 2 of them, one a month after laser and one 3 weeks after that. The first had 7%glycolic the second had 14% which is still very low. It was exactly 5 days after the second facial that my skin began to dry out, shortly after texture began to change on my cheeks now my pores appear enlarged skin is so dry and so dull looking. It's like I don't even know my skin anymore 2 months I've tried it all every natural oil, no washing, now I'm using Psoria gold Because my skin is definitely damaged I just can't imagine that even if the facial did it that it would take this long to recover. The burning is horrific I've literally cut everything out that I thought could have been irritating it. I am at such a loss as to what could have happened to me.
Have you tried a very low dose cortisone-based cream? I think that the glycolic acid burned your skin- that is what it sounds like to me but I am no expert. Take the advice of your dermatologist and give it time. Be consistent with what they recommend and follow up with them. I am sure that they can help you get to the bottom of it. Another thing to consider are internal factors (changes in diet/vitamins, medications etc.) that could have led to this flare up.
Hi Denise, The derm I went to last week put me on a steroid ointment, the pain was so horrific (even worse than the usual burning), that I discontinued use after 3 days. Yea I thought the glycolic burned me too, but after doing so much extensive research, I've seen people with 70% peels be fine after a week, this is 2 months with NO SIGNS of slowing up or healing. I thought about the internal thing as well, no changes in diet or vitamins, I take fish oil, spirulina, evening primrose, borage oil, zinc, fish collagen, hyularonic acid, silica, vitamin c and lysine. almost all of these I started taking over the past month trying to repair my skin because it seems to be deteriorating before my eyes. I think reading the laser stories scares me even more because that's what the damage seems like to me, aside from the insane burning feeling. I guess people have had the same damage with retin a and similar things, which I have never used. The derms I feel like never take me seriously, the last one said, People would pay a lot of money for skin like this. But its not my skin, and it burns like crazy! I will lose my mind if this doesn't heal soon, mean all the crazy things people do to their skin and Mine is 2 months without healing.. and if it is by chance laser damage, that was 4 months ago! But I'm having a hard time all the damage and burning started 2 months after the laser, I'm just reaching for any answer I guess. :(
Try polysporin cream and see if that eases the burning and gets the healing process going. That is what I would do. I still think that it is a reaction to the glycolic peel or something else that they used during the facial.
This happened in June, I waited about 2 months to get fraxel and it was just on my burned nostril. Glad to hear yours is getting better!! It doesn't depend on lighting for me to be honest, you can always see it. The fraxel treatment is fully healed now and to be honest did not make a difference. I'm getting a series of 5 TCA chem peels from a dermatologist in my home town in 2 weeks. If that doesn't work then I'm under-going surgery in June. Hope I helped!
Hi Kira. When did the scar happen? How long did you wait til you had fraxel? Did you have fraxel all over or just on the scar? The scar for me has lightened up. But Part of the scar doesnt match my skin tone and I don't know if it ever will. At times it seems better and others times it seems the same. I guess it depends on the lighting. I just which I could get rid of the color. I think my nose cast a shadow??
Same thing happened to me! Absolute horrible, huggeee indented scar on the side of my nose. Doctor blamed it on me...uhm what? Because I was nervous. What an asshole! Anyway, has anyone attempted to hire a lawyer or has any advice on what legal action to take in this matter? I really wanna stick it to him hard, he burned and destroyed my face! The scar is in a place where I didn't even have veins!! Help please!
Hi from Illinois! this happened to me with a cool glide laser. It blistered by nose and left me with a shallow discolored indented mark. In certain lights it looks like it is gone,but other lights it is still there. It has been 9 months and it has gotten a little better. I have been using retin a ,for about 3 months,every other night. I to get depressed at times, wonder if others can see it. I work under some harsh lights.
Hi all, i too have had problems with laser treatments on the little veins by the side of my nose. I am now left with pitted scars and i feel really sad about them. They appeared after severakl treatments - the nurse just kept putting the setting higher and higher. I waited a year and then went to see someone else because the veins were worse and more prominent. The new nurse i saw said that she would use another type of laser and reassured me that it would not scar. I figured that i already have some scarring but if i could get rid of the red veins it would all look a bit better. I blistered and the areas she treated looked badly burned. The veins reappeared after a couple of days and two weeks later i have quite severe pitting. I am never going to a beautician or anyone ever again for any form of treatment. I shouldnt have been so vain. My nose looks far worse now than it did to start with and i feel miserable every time i look in the mirror :(

Hi Sophie, I'm also sorry to hear about your experience but I can also related. Just one week ago I have VariLite laser done on the veins on my nostrils. On both sides i got blisters right after but as of now only one side concerns me. I am healing but seem to be forming scabs in these very small slashes/indentation with raised redness around it. I am so devastated I now have permanent scars on my nose. I don't know if you check this forum anymore but I would love to know how your scars have healed after so much time??

Hi everyone. I have just had a laser procedure done to treat a cluster of veins under my eye. I was doing it in stages with each month with a well qualified doctor. The first few times everything was fine, my skin would swell a little for a day or two and then go down and the vein cluster was fading little by little. Then the most recent time he used it on a higher setting without saying a thing to me. Needless to say it scabbed and now I have a very prominent 6mm pitted scar under my eye. It doesn't seem to healing very well despite me using vitamin E and hydrocolloid patches. It is hugely distressing. When I smile and my skin wrinkles under my eye except the scar just making it all the more noticable. To top it off inside the pit the veins are still there. I have no idea what to do. I think I have ruined my face forever, as a 25-year-old girl that seems to be all society wants to judge me on too.
Suz-goose- I have scarring from rosacea nodules that I picked at. I have been working on them and using everything imaginable including vitaman e which I never found did a thing. Lately, i have been breaking open a capsule of Coenzme Q-10 and mixing it with something that helps it absorb. I think emu oil will do this. I actually used an estriol cream i have from the internet.This has something to pull the estriol into your skin which also pulled the Co enzyme Q-10 in with it. Totally alone it will no absorb to help the scar. Anyway- Coenzyme Q10 is bright yellow so just leave it on for an hour or and rinse off. I must have done it twice a day using a capsule each time and the scarring is down. A new scar will do well with this. Try it-it works better that all the things at the drugstore I have tried (onion extract, etc).
Hi, I am very sorry to hear about your experience. I know exactly how distressing it is. How long ago did you have the procedure done? Which type of laser was used? I wish I could give you some advice on what to do, but so far nothing has really helped, apart from letting the skin heal by itself. I've had subcision, dermafiller and dermapen treatments, with little or no improvement. I have decided to let the scars be for a couple of months and then see an expert on scarring. I have tried using dermaflage to temporarily cover the pits. It is tricky to use, but works fairly well as a temporary solution. The first weeks and months after I had the scarring were extremely distressing. It has now been six months and the scarring is less visible, or even if it isn't you slowly get used to it. It is so very upsetting that people keep having these experiences, with practitioners downplaying the risks and even denying there has been any damage, when it is clearly visible. I have thought about taking legal action, not only to be properly refunded but also to raise awareness about this issue. But don't know how to go about it, or if I have the strength to do so. Again, I am really sorry about your experience. S
Thank you for your reply Sophie. I had the procedure done October 29th. The laser was called Cosjet CR or something like that, I have no idea which setting was used. I have been using all night eye patches these days and given up on hydrocolloid. It hasn't made much difference though. Bright side I am now like a makeup ninja and can make it almost disappear. It is a pain constantly touching it up though. My doctor said the treatment is not finished and I should continue it and it will look better. I am pretty sceptical but it is not expensive and I am praying anything will make it look better. My next appointment would be next week as I am supposd to wait 6 weeks between them. Should I go ahead with it do you think? Argh I am so confused. Please help someone!
Suz-goose- I forgot to mention. I would not go back to get more laser. This doc is too heavy handed to leave that kind of mark. Leave your face alone and try another doc in a year or so but you are so young and lasers make your face look old after a while.
You are not alone. I too have found what a pitfall the lasers can be. I too have pits on my nose from the laser. I have been having the laser done on my cheeks, nose and legs off and on for 5 years. No problems.The aestherican always called the tool The Laser. I had a red spot under my nose that would not go away. The aesthetican offered to use what she called the Cauterizer to treat the spot. I agreed.The spot returned, so she tried again at a higher setting. This worked and I did not have any bad effects. This lady retired. I went back to have some more veins on my nose done. When the new lady pulled out the Cauterizer, I told her "We don't use that on my face" she replied"Yes, you just don't notice it because you have the goggles on". I said a second time."No, that was for one spot under my nose". She insisted that it was in my paperwork and was done all the time. Well, you can guess what I did...I got on the table and had the treatment.The next morning I awoke to 7 red sores on my nose. With bubbles and seeping clear fluid. I called the clinic immediately and was told "This is normal". I let her know this never happened before. She said all is well, put some triple ointment on it and come in to see her in a few days. I did as she told me to. When I went in to see her she looked at the scabs on my nose and told me I had hyperpigmentation HUH?? I have scabs and sores, you can't even tell what color the skin is beneath. She said not to worry they will go away, give it a few weeks. Two weeks later I called to tell her of the 7 sores I had 4 had healed but 3 left pits. She replied" You only had one spot". I let her know she had seen the 7 sores when I visited 2 weeks prior. She only insisted that I only had one. She just denied it. I am to go back in a day or two but I am heartbroken. I don't know if the new lady read the information in my chart wrong or if the lady who retired did not make clear notes. All I know is I have pits on my nose.
Hi, I am so sorry to hear about your experience and completely understand how distressing this is, not only because of the damage to your skin and the psychological stress this causes, but also because of the insistent denial of the practitioner that something is wrong. My dermatologist has never admitted that she burned me with the laser and that she made a mistake with the settings, she maintains that it is "normal" to get blisters, scabbing and pits, that it "happens all the time" and is easy to fix. If this was normal, why was I not warned? Why would anyone undergo a treatment when it is "normal" to get scars (that, by the way, are not easy to fix)? The pits do get more shallow with time and the redness fades. I think it is very individual, mine are still very noticeable and they are still in the healing process. Some people's skin heal better than others. My dermatologist has now done subcisions, injected dermal filler (made it look much worse as the filler ended up surrounding the indentation, making it appear deeper) and used dermapen to reverse the damage. I don't see much improvement - I sometimes wonder if it would just have been better to let it be and if all of these additional treatments might have made things worse... I am going to see another dermatologist in January (long waiting list), specialising in scarring. Until then I think I will just let it be. I am currently using tretinoin every other night, hoping it might help a little. The dermapen might help also, but the scars look much worse before they look better. I know of another person with the same damage who tried Fraxel repair, but saw little improvement. I have tried Dermaflage, to temporarily fill in the pits, for social occasions. It works pretty well (it takes practice to get it right), but I wouldn't recommend it for every day use as I think it slows down/prevents the healing process. I wish I could say something to cheer you up. All I can say is try to be patient, it will get better. Try to stay away from mirrors and looking too much at the scars (will only make you upset and make the scars look worse than they really are). Stay in touch and I will keep you updated on any progress. Warmest regards, S
Dear Jay,

Again, I am really sorry that you are in this situation. Don't blame yourself, I do that a lot too, but in the end this is not our fault - it is the responsibility of the practitioner to inform us of potential risks and to care for our safety. Also, some responsibility lies with the manufacturers of these machines and the bodies that approve them, but in the end money seems to, as so often, surpass ethics...

I had V beam too, without any problems and I so wish I would have stayed with that. The only reason I tried this is because my capillaries kept coming back after the V-beam, quite rapidly as well, and I was hoping this would make them stay away. Well, now they are still there and I have two dents.

IPL seems to be, despite all its promises, a quite risky treatment. It seems to be like a Russian roulette, sometimes all goes perfectly well, sometimes horrendously wrong, and the practitioner is not always to blame when things go bad - they can use the same settings as on a previous occasion on the same patient and all of a sudden there are irreversible side effects.

To be honest, I think these machines are approved too easily and then they use people as guinea pigs trying to learn how to use these machines properly. There are so many different models, working at different wave lengths, everything to make people think that this machine is the very "latest", when the very latest might be the option with most risks since it hasn't been tried out for a longer time.

The problem with IPL is that it offers treatment to Rosacea patients, like you and me, who are often lacking effective treatments and are desperate for improvement and so we take the chance and hope for the best, comforted by doctors saying how safe it is, not being a laser and all.

Regarding scar revision, I will keep you updated on how the subcision turns out. In the meanwhile I think the best all of us can do is to try to let time pass and the scars settle - even if it is disheartening and not fall into any "quick-fixes". Maybe retin-A might help a little, I have also read about people using Bio-oil/Emu-oil and/or copper peptides and needling for the same type of damage but I think it might be too early to try this out.

Thank you for sharing your experience. It is indeed sad we are here, but at least we can offer some support and hopefully make other people stay away from this procedure, and other similar ones.

All the best,