Labiaplasty - Trim Method - United Kingdom, GB

Exactly 1 month ago now I had labiaplasty surgery...

Exactly 1 month ago now I had labiaplasty surgery via trim method. Prior to surgery I had asymmetrical labia which protruded badly, left was around 3cm in length and the right around 5cm. Not only this the edges of the labia were bobbly and dark coloured which was why I opted for the trim method. The surgery was performed by a top surgeon who does 3-4 of these procedures every week, she has also been featured on various TV shows which was how I found out about her. I stressed at my consultation that I did not want my labia to be amputated (had read many horror stories online) and I was aiming for a very natural look, with the labia still visible but in line with the labia majora so that there was no hanging down.

The day of surgery I was very nervous, I was having the surgery under general anaesthetic so arrived early to be seen by the nurse, meet the anaesthetist and then the surgeon would come and speak to me again. After that it all went very quickly, after being put to sleep I woke up feeling fine, no drowsiness and no instant feeling of pain. I was moved into the recovery room and within minutes I realised I needed the toilet, I had been dreading this part! One of the nurses escorted me and told me to expect to see blood and feel a stinging but not to worry. The pain wasn't awful but it definitely hit me and seeing the blood didn't help. After getting back to my bed I started feeling a slight soreness/stinging pain so I was given some painkillers. The pain died down quickly after this and within 2 hours I was discharged and managed to waddle (with the help of my mum) to a taxi for the 2hr journey home. Sitting was painful but not unbearable, I came prepared and brought a cushion to sit on which really helped.

Over the next couple of days I think it's fair to say my vagina looked AWFUL. I rested in bed mostly for the first 4 days and iced the area but I was extremely swollen there was blood coming from the stitches, although I was told all of this was normal and to be expected I still found it very upsetting and worrying at the time. I would spend a lot of time checking myself in the mirror and thinking I had made a horrible mistake. I cried myself to sleep a couple of times in that first week as I was so worried I might never look normal (sounds silly now looking back). I followed all of the instructions for aftercare and I was given an ointment to apply to the area twice daily, as well as a course of antibiotics to take. Other than that I kept the area as dry as possible. I avoided any soap and washed with warm water/salt water. For the first few days I used a spray bottle as the shower would have been too powerful.
Other than the first day after my surgery I didn't need to take any painkillers as although the area was sensitive I was not in any constant pain. I took arnica and bromelain for 7 days after my surgery which my surgeon suggested.
After spending the first 7 days feeling depressed I finally started seeing some improvements, I was back to work and although I was still sore I was able to walk slowly and sit at my desk without too much discomfort. With time the swelling started to go down, it was a slow process but I did keep icing every night which seemed to help. The area was no longer bleeding and although it still looked rather awful and uneven, I could finally start to see it was improving.
By week 2 I started back at the gym doing light exercise which wasn't causing pain. The stitches were starting to come out which was a little itchy but not too bad. I had read a few good reviews from people who had used coconut oil after their Labiaplasty, so I decided to give this a go. I gently massaged the oil over the labia twice daily after showering and I found it really helped with smoothing out and softening the area. This is something I still continue to do and will continue for at least the next couple of months as it will help with scar tissue.
By week 3 all of the stitches were out and I was starting to feel pleased with the results. Past the 3 week point I was back to all normal activities with pretty much no pain and only slight sensitivity when touching certain parts of the labia.

Now, at week 4 I can honestly say the surgery was worth it. I have almost forgotten I had it done as I no longer feel any pain or discomfort. I still apply coconut oil to the area but other than that I am back to normal. I haven't had sex yet as I am recently single but I have no doubt that sex would be absolutely fine at this point. I have a final check up with my surgeon in 2 weeks time which will be 6 weeks since the surgery, I certainly won't have any complaints.

I wanted to write this review in as much detail as possible and include the gory photos as I know firsthand how scary it can look when you first have it done and it can be very worrying, especially when there is little online from people who have had it done. If anyone has any questions I will be more than happy to answer them if I can :)

4 week photo

4 weeks

Nearly 8 weeks

Swelling has reduced and everything has softened up a bit. No pain or sensitivity, I feel completely back to normal
Angelica Kavouni

So glad you are doing well!! Thank you so much for keeping your review up to date!!
Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I am contemplating having a labiaplasty & vagionplasty. I'm scared to death. I am 53, had 2 children. My husband said he started noticing things were deferent the last 2 yrs. I have a dr. In mind. He is a obgyn and has trained with dr. Mattock out of California. After reading a lot of reviews, I am terrified of the pain the 1st few days. After reading your story of ups & downs, it gives me hope. I want to know the absolute truth, so I won't freak out when the time comes. I do better if I don't view the area until I have to. I was so glad to hear that you were delighted that you had the courage to have it done. Is the sex much better now?
Hello! Thanks for the comment, I'm glad to hear that you found my review to be helpful. To be completely honest the pain is unavoidable and for the first couple of days you will feel depressed not only by the way you feel but also the way things look down there. But the most important thing to remember is that it WILL get better, even thought it feels like a slow recovery at the time! (It's amazing how impatient you get when you're stuck in bed and things are painful!) If you do go ahead with the surgery then make sure you are 100% confident with your surgeon. I have seen a lot of horror stories and labia amputations on here. Making sure you ask to see photos of your surgeons work is probably the best way of ensuring he is able to offer the look you are wanting. In answer to your question - Yes.. For me sex is much easier now due to nothing being in the way. When I had large protruding labia it was very awkward, not to mention painful. Now things are much easier and my confidence has improved dramatically, I no longer have to have sex in the dark! For the first time in my life I can look at myself naked in the mirror and actually smile. I wish you the best of luck if you do go ahead with the surgery!
Hi can I ask who your surgeon is? I really would like labiaplasty and your trim looks brilliant. Thanks claire
Ok I missed it but see it now lol!!
Hi Claire Haha no worries. It's Angelica Kavouni as it says in the review but her website and surgery is under the name of Cosmetic Solutions :)
Wow. Your surgery was expensive for a Trim. Maybe they cost more in the UK? Did you go to sleep or awake?
Around £3,000 GBP is the average here. I looked into many different surgeons and that was the average price for somebody reputable and experienced in this type of procedure. I was put to sleep.
I just had this done today and I am in so much pain. It also really burns when I pee. I also feel like I have to keep going pee. I got an IUD inserted at the same time. Any advice for the sensation of having to pee, hurting in general, and the burning when I pee?
The burning/stinging sensation is totally normal, after all you only had it done today! The urine is passing over the raw incision line which of course is going to be very sore. I remember being in agony the first time I went to the toilet after surgery! So don't worry, and be assured that the stinging will die down over the next few days. In the mean time to help with the burning it's I was advised to either pee in the bath, or pour warm water over the area while you are peeing, which really does help with the stinging. Good Luck!
Thank you! I didnt sleep at all last night and cried for like 8 hours straight. Apparently the nurse gave wrong instructions. I wasnt supposed to take sit baths for 3 days and she said take sit baths for 3 days.
Well it's certainly not professional that the nurse gave you the wrong instructions! But don't worry, I can't see that you are going to have caused any major harm just by taking a bath. Things will get better and the pain will reduce. It's only very early days for you, believe me I spent the first week in pain and would cry most days thinking I had made a huge mistake. Once you get past the 2 week stage things will really start improving day by day!
For a Trim it looks really good. Does it feel OK with sex?
Thanks. Yes feels absolutely fine, no sensitivity now :)
I had irritation 2 day before surgery which was awful i think the dektarine is only for the irritation it says i should use it inside my vagina maybe he wants me to use it outside it ..i ll give him a call 2day
Gald 4 u i guess i have the same labia size u had..i m getting mine next week but i m worried about the stitches my dr use dissolving but i heard that they take a long time to dissolve..what type of stitches did ur dr use?!
Don't think you need to worry, I had dissolvable stitches and didn't have a problem. They had completely dissolved by the 3 week point which is normal. Good luck with your surgery!
Thank you..i had mine yesterday & i m very swollen right now pain is bareable but my dr didnt prescribed any topical ointment i wonder why he prescribed dektarine cream to be used after 2 days dont know why ! It is not an antibiotic i guess. i am on antibiotic course i started 3 days before surgery .when did u stoped taking your oral antibiotic and did the topical ointment helped was it an antibiotic cream ?! & what dosage of arnica and bromelain did u use i ordered some not available in my country i ll start them on day 3 i know its gonna be too late but i wont recieve my order before day 3:(
hi, im happy to hear that all went well with your labiaplasty :). i am 7 days post op and im feeling very down, everything is hurting me, i'm not able to walk yet so just spending the days lying down as its even extremely uncomfortable to sit! also i am now getting sharp shooting pains running through the labia, did you experience this? i have no infection, just alot of swelling on the right side. Thankyou. x
Hello, I too felt very down at 7 days post op and although I was able to walk at this point it wasn't without a lot of discomfort. I know of some people who were unable to walk for 2 weeks even, I think it entirely depends on the person. I didn't experience any sharp shooting pains but I have heard of people who did experience this sort of nerve pain and that it is normal in the early stages. The superficial nerves along the labia have been damaged so it is natural to feel some pains as they are repairing themselves. I was still very swollen at 7 days and was told at my post op check that it is totally normal. If you haven't tried ice yet I would do so as it really helped me. I'm 4 weeks post op and still have a bit of swelling to go down yet, so I wouldn't worry. Good luck and I'm sure as the weeks go on you will become happier :) x