A Different Perspective to BR..7 Weeks Post-Op - United Kingdom, GB

I've been coming onto this wonderful site since...

I've been coming onto this wonderful site since before my surgery, and have found it hugely insightful as well as encouraging, it made me more excited for the procedure. I'm 21 years old, originally from Australia, but currently reside in London with my family. I was a rather late developer but eventually came into an unwanted ample chest. Previously I was a 32DDD, occasionally wearing E and F cups. UK sizing might be different to the states, but you know how bra companies all have such different sizes!! I've been wanting the surgery since I was 16, and was forever told it could become a reality when I turned 21, finally, it happened! In the hands of a fantastic surgeon I was ready to start this new chapter, which in turn has had a rather bumpy road throughout.

I don't want to dwell, but long story cut short, I had a pretty horrific time in hospital with the nurses, and my body has just had an unfortunate delayed healing response. There was fear of infection, but I've been cleared of it now. I had a hematoma blood clot which made my left breast feel like a stone, I've lost feeling in my right nipple (that may come back though!) I had persistent unusual swelling, intial bad bruising. I know I must be patience, and wait 6 months, but I really cannot get over the feeling of unhappiness. I'm glad I don't have what I had before, but nor am I loving what I am now. They still look so saggy and horrid to me, the distance of space between the nipple and areola is uneven. I feel like my breasts are nothing like the wonderful photos I see on here. I was in a lot of pain for about 4 straight weeks and I wish I had prepared myself to the idea that this can be a really emotionally draining experience..I know I probably sound a little neurotic but I really am trying to be as stoic and positive as I can be. I just wanted to come on here and give a different story, but try to exemplify patience, because this is a significant surgery to undergo, and all women who brave it should feel it was worth it.

Just wanted to share something, not sure if others...

Just wanted to share something, not sure if others have heard about this, but I recently purchased this bad boy called Heal Gel (http://www.healgelshop.com/, http://www.cultbeauty.co.uk/healgel/healgel-healgel.php) It is a little more on the expensive side, but I think totally worth the money! Essentially it is what it proclaims, and was created by 5 different plastic surgeons. It has a really nice consistency and texture, and dries super fast, which is far superior to the bio oil, especially when you have to wear a bra 24/7.

As for me, no changes, I have a pretty icky open wound on the underneath incision of my right breast (my left being the hematoma swollen one) and I'm permanently placing bed sheet strips over it, its causing a little bit of discomfort and tenderness. Seeing PS in 2 weeks, just trying to truck on!

I cannot fault my surgeon's gentle and kind nature. He was an absolute gem of a personality, I had 4 consultations over the period of 10 months where he made me feel absolutely sure about my decision, and he felt this was an appropriate move for my body and well being. Although there are things I wish he had done differently, I do not lay the entire blame on him for my opinion.

Ellie, I'm so sorry that you are unhappy with your results. I know my breasts were mis-shapen and hard during the first several weeks. It may take awhile for them to softenand settle. Maybe when you go back to see your PS you should take someone who isn't quite so shy and they could help give you the confidence to speak up and say something to him. You could potentially let his office staff know that you are going to need more of his time at your next appointment and could they please schedule more time with him. I'm hoping that as a little more time passes you will come to see your breasts in a more positive light. I can see the hematoma in the breast on the right (my right when I'm looking at the picture) but the breast on the left looks absolutely beautiful! Hopefully the right one will take that shape as you continue to heal. Thank you so much for sharing your story. I hope you will keep us updated on your progress.
Ellie,thank you for sharing and I want to say I admire your patience, perseverance and bravery! You must be proud of yourself !BTW I am sure your breasts look amazing in a beautiful bra and there are heaps of awesome bras to choose from in the UK - I buy mines from there :)
I miss underwire bras!! My PS said I had to spend 8 weeks in the given sports bra. Strangely (and a little sadly) I think I can still fit into some of my old, but nice, ones! Just can't wait to go and shop for a new size!
Ellie, Thank you for sharing your experience on here. I hope that your breasts become more attractive to you as the swelling goes down. I have heard/seen pictures of others whose breasts looked or seemed uneven due to swelling. Or seemed too big to them. Keep talking about it on here and to the PS. I hope that once the hematoid is taken care of things go more smoothly for you.
Hi serene! Thanks for taking the time to read and comment, its lovely hearing other peoples thoughts and support. I'm definitely trying to keep positive, keep up the massaging on the swollen areas and clot. As for that pesky hematoid, it would be ideal for it to go away naturally instead of having a rather painful injection! But if it continues looking the way it does, I'll have to go with the latter. I just can't get over the feeling of them being saggy, which was one of my primary problems pre op.
Ellie-thank you for sharing your story. What has your PS said during follow-ups? I've heard other stories that corrections can be made at about a year post-op.
I've been told I need to wait for swelling to go down, etc-but I feel really lopsided and pointing in different directions and just odd. Best wishes on the future.
Mazie Lou thanks for reading! To be honest, whenever I saw my PS during follow-ups it would be a split second, I really spent the most of my time with the nurses. He and them all agreed that my healing was slow and a bit unusual, but I have been to shy to voice my opinions as I suppose it is still "early days". I see him again in a few weeks, and intend on letting him know my thoughts. I spoke to my GP who said its always an option to go back under the knife, like you said, a year down the track, but I'm not sure I'd want to go through it all again :P How are you getting on?