Unhappy with Off-center Belly Button After Tummy Tuck

I had a full tummy tuck and breast augmentation...

i had a full tummy tuck and breast augmentation three weeks ago abroad in Cyprus. After having two children and loosing my baby weight my body was a mess i had badly damaged skin from the belly button downwards and saggy smaller breasts. it made me deeply unhappy and effected my relationship with my husband as i had lost all confidence in myself, i had tried to loose weight to solve my baggy stomach but it only looked worse and also i lost all shape and fullness to my breasts. so after much research i came to the conclusion that surgery was my only option.

It has taken 4 years but it has finally happened and i am thrilled with the results, apart from an off center belly button (Which i am hoping can be fixed) everything looks fantastic and i still have a little swelling so it will get even better when the swelling goes down.

The recovery was admittedly quite tough in the first week as i had two procedures together, i had little to no use of my arms for the first three days as i had my implantsplaced under under the muscle i was able to use them to feed myself and to drink but to move my body around to get comfortable forget it also due to the muscle tightening in my tummy i was unable to use these as well so it was very difficult i had to use my legs a lot to push myself into more comfortable positions. the pain for the implants was more severe than the tummy which i found surprising. Also i was not expecting to be bent over and not able to stand up straight after the tummy tuck, a failure on my part in not asking the correct questions. However after leaving the hospital after three days i was off pain meds during the day and only continued for two more nights. three weeks on and i am nearly upright and and getting stronger with each day.

I would deff recommend this surgery to any one who is considering having it, just be prepared, the first week i did wonder why i did it as pain was bad, BUT it did not last LONG and is now a distant memory and was deff worth it.

If you are miserable as i was i know how it affects your life, i used to think about it every day and could not escape the feelings of disgust about myself but now i have a new found confidence and i feel free.

i am three weeks post tummy tuck surgery i am very happy with the overall results however and i have an off center belly button by about 1cm which i am unhappy about, is this normal due to swelling (mine is fairly minimal) or will my belly button stay like this, if so is there anything that be done to correct this and if so what is involved.thank you in advance for your time.

UPDATE - I have found by far the best thing for stretching out /rounding out the belly button is foam ear plugs you can roll them as small as you need and they slowly expand once placed inside the belly button you will need to keep them in place with tape and lots of patience. good luck

I had a full tummy tuck in June. I was told beforehand that I might have a vertical scar below my new navel because my tummy was not so big to start with. So, I was not surprised by that once I woke up. I do however have more bulgy looser skin on one side of the bellybutton and it makes me think that the bellybutton is off center. Also, the scar on the hip of one side is fatter. The skin seems to hang over the scar slightly. I am going back in October to have the bulge on the hip lipoed, but I am not sure whether the bulge next to the bellybutton can be fixed. The surgeon told me he wanted to augment the vertical scar of the old navel because he did not like the looks of it that much. On the whole, I do probably look much better, but I am also a little disappointed in my surgeon.

I had my tummy tuck a month ago, I am so unhappy. I had a bad smart lipo procedure that left me damaged. I had to have a tummy tuck to remove the damaged areas. I asked if there was enough skin and was told yes but when I woke up I still had my old belly button sewn up under my new one. My new belly button is off center and it is very apparent. How in the world do you screw this up? You are supposed to be professional people yet you lie when we ask you simple forward questions? I have more scars than I ever signed up for and am so sick of being hurt and lied to. I wanted a low scar but not at the risk of having two belly buttons. So 3 inches below my off center button I have a vertical scar and he acts like I shoukd be so grateful he gave me another scar and glosses over the ugly off center one. Hw said he will do an in office procedire to TRY to fix it but do I let him do this? Clearly there was enough upper tummy skin he could have pulled down 2 more inches but I think I am destimed to have poor doctors and procedures. This time cost me $10,000 and the smart lipo cost me $7000 plus they kept the remaining money they did not use for two other areas they never got to. I have been ripped off and ruined. Thanks a lot NuUMedspa(Elyse Fisher) in IL and Dr Cook.

I was told that they don't make the tummy that tight as they used to. So, maybe you, like myself, just did not have soo much skin to pull down. My vertical scar is about 2 inches long and scew, but it is mostly covered by bikinis or underwear.
My bellybutton is off centered,and I can tell this by a bulge on one side of it. Is your scar not low? Mine is covered by underwear. I am also a little disappointed as for example the sides where the scar ends are uneven. One side bulges the other side is smooth. When I went back for post op they did not take pictures of my body, which made me think the doctor might like not his own work. But I insisted that he fix what he can to make it look better. I also had a breast augmented. It looks better, but it does not look exactly as the other one. I also had liposuction of my hips, but that turned out fine. Just like you, I also paid ten thousand dollars and I am slightly disappointed. Have you had anything else done after your experience? I mean, did Dr. Cook offer to fix anything or make it better?

Hi, it sound's like he gave you a mini tuck, which is what i considered about before the full tuck. If you still have enough skin to be stretched down to get rid of the old belly button hole, it's most likely that it can be fixed. Definately seek a professional plastic surgeon and i strongly advice that you see photos of his work, if you like what you see do it if not stay away!
Hi everyone,i was sent to see a normal surgeon because after having my three kids by section,i had developed the flap of skin on my tummy,but because the surgeon was not a plastic surgeon,he had to put the operation done as the removal of the abdominal wall,same idea.He told me the morning of my op what would happen and moving my belly button would be one of them,but he didnt move it,and as u could imagine,after strecting all the skin down and belly button moved,its now only 2 inches above my private parts,and it makes me look and feel very weird,they are now sending me to see a proper plastic surgeon,my only worry is being told that i will just have to live with it,but if anyone can put me straight on do they actually have to fix it or not i would be very greatful for all ur advice,thanks in advance
i had a tummy tuck 2 years ago in cyprus and i had the exact same problem. i was terrified when i saw my belly button off center. i can now say that even now after 2 years it's still off center, but after the swelling goes down it's not so drastic. it's also changed shape and size. i'm also left with a bulge in my lower abdomen on either side. was it worth it? i guess to what i had before, yes.
Did you try the marble thing? My belly button looks weird and I'm hoping it will change. I tried sticking a little marble in there but it won't stay in...here is a link to my page....http://www.realself.com/review/Tummy-tuck-Question-about-my-belly-button
hi i haven't tried the marble thing yet but you need to tape the marble into your belly button you can find exact instructions on how to do this on tuck that tummy .com. Good luck
Yeah, that is actually where I got the idea from. I tried sticking a marble in there and then taping it but it still popped out. So then I tried a cotton ball....neither of these worked very well. I have another appointment in 2 weeks...I might see if it needs a revision. I had an overall great experience, I just am really unhappy with my belly button. Did anyone else's belly button look like mine and then it looked better as an end result?? I would REALLY appreciate any answers to this question. http://www.realself.com/review/Tummy-tuck-Question-about-my-belly-button
i am now and three and a half weeks post op i fear i have been to quick to judge my results it is hard not to as you look at yourself every day impatient to see the results. However my belly button already looks different to how it did when i posted my first comment, it has changed shape and is a little more rounded and although it still looks a little off center to me it is not as bad as it was before. heres hoping it will sort its self out. for all others with similar complaints or those unhappy with the shape of your belly button there is a useful trick which involves stretching out your belly button with a marble you can find instruction on - tuck that tummy .com
Are you still posting? I am 4 days postop and had my dressings removed. I noticed right away that the lines that were drawn preop had stretched out and did not line up at the midline. This makes my blly button slightly off center. I wasn't able to see my ps today, so I wasn't able to get reassurance about it. The nurse stated that it was due to swelling and that he has never had to revise a belly button. Did yours get better?
Hi I am now 1 1/2 yrs post op i have to say my belly button issues did resolve them selves over time i do think swelling has a lot to do with it but also i think the amount of scrutiny we put ourselves under just after the op doesn't help, think about it did you study your belly button before the op i doubt it the fact is its quite common to have an off centre belly button but we just don't notice it, when you have a surgery such as a tummy tuck everything is pulled tighter and therefore an off centre belly button becomes more noticeable. My advice, you should definitely discuss your concerns with your PS but you must also be patient i know its hard but its so true you can not see proper results from a tummy tuck until about 6 month to a year afterwards. If you are still unhappy with the way it looks at this point you can discuss options with your PS. My belly button was very small even at six months and had developed a small Keloid scar so i had a steroid injection which helped the belly button to open up and got rid of the scar i also had to wear a something in my belly button to stretch it out some more which took some months. But now i am finally happy with it the whole process took 1yr for it to look how i wanted it. Good Luck and if you have any more questions you need answering don't hesitate to post again and i'll try to answer them. :-)
the easiest way to find out of one side is bigger than the other is to simply just look down at your stomach. you'll be able to see if there is a difference between each side.
Thanks Sharon for your comment. my husband said the same thing the problem is neither of us can tell if i am more swollen on one side it looks fairly even.
It might seem odd to ask, but are you swollen evenly, or is one side bigger than the other? That might account for the off-centre appearance.