Reaction to Perlane - United Kingdom

I had perlane injected into my face over a year...

I had perlane injected into my face over a year ago. Where it was injected I now have lumps. I live in the UK and am now being treated at a Hospital every two months and have been told that this will continue for another year. The plastic surgeon said that although uncommon to have this reaction it is by no means rare. Please beware, an allergic reaction IS POSSIBLE, I am living proof.

If you have no infection, you can try hylaluronidase, an enzyme which breaks down the main ingredient in perlane. I would start there. How long ago did you have this done?
I first had it about two years ago and then in August of this year I noticed my first lump. I thought that it was a sign that it was gone and I needed another injection so in Sept. of 2012, I went in for another injection. By the first of November I started looking so bad and it has only gotten worse. Do you have to have a prescription for hylaluronidase or is something the doctor has to inject?
It is an injection that the doctor administers. At this point what does the doctor say? It is supposed to last about a year, so if it is getting worse, maybe it's an sensitivity reaction. I would ask about the hylaluronidase and maybe a steroid treatment to get swelling down. If no luck, try a different physician; someone who is highly recommended. I have had lumps before, but they usually don't show.
What did your doctor tell you to do? I am afraid I am making it worse by all of the massaging and ice packs. I look like I have two pockets of water on my cheek bones and swelling under both eyes. I live in a small town and I can't even go to the grocery store. I don't know who to ask or how to find another doctor. I am afraid to trust anybody.

Oh, I feel so sorry for you. I have had many injections to try and reduce the lumps but they haven't worked and before Xmas had some lumps layered. This did work but there is now a scar. I have to go back to the Doctor next week. It is ongoing and as I had it done three years ago originally it is all very depressing. The Doctor thinks that cheap Chinese product was to blame but there's nothing I can do. I wish you well and hope it will get better for you.

You know, if I were you, I'd give the massaging a break because sometimes it can cause more inflammation. What I would do when searching for new doctors is try and find reviews through google. First I would find the local doctors, then google their name + reviews. Sometimes you will find some good information... but don't go by one review because I often wonder if some are planted. There are a few options for you: you can try a regular dermatologist or skin specialist or a plastic surgeon that does injections. You know it's always been hit or miss for me, and even well known and respected physicians can have below par techniques in one area of expertise, yet be good in another. You can always get a consultation and not actually DO anything. If it's ruining your life... get two opinions and then make a decision. GOOD luck.... I've had other health issues that just really had to get bad before anything showed up clinically (pain came first), so I hear ya.
Thanks for responding, it is ruining my life. I can't even go to the grocery store because I look horrible. I have two pockets of water on my cheek bones and under my eyes I have large pockets of what I call the Perlane. I too have other health issues as I have severe rheumatoid arthritis. I have such thin skin because of the prednisone that I have to take. I am probably 150 miles from another plastic surgeon but I guess that will have to be my next step, since the lady who injected told me to buy a cute pair of reading glasses because she was not going to touch my face again. How long did it take for yours to get better and did you have the pockets of what I think is called festoons? Thanks for your help.
I only had "festoons" for a very short while that went away on their own, and was probably due to trauma of injection. For you, this is not the case obviously. As you already know, you have an abnormal immune response because of the type of arthritis you have, so I wonder if your body is more sensitive? Please note that I am not a medical provider, and you need to follow up with someone, even a physician to rule out infection (which is possible) if you haven't already. If it were me, I'd drive the 150 miles. Please let us know how you make out. One thing I did have and still do is a lump under my eye after the injections and I think its scar tissue because it would have gone away in 3 years. Thankfully it's not swollen and doesn't hurt. Take care.
Thank you for your advice. I think I am going to stop the massaging altogether because it has only gotten worse since I started it. I will also look into trying to find a doctor to look at me and hopefully tell me what to do. One other question, did they warn you this could happen? Thanks again, I will keep you posted.
No, I think it really is rare. But I also think they used to tell people with autoimmune diseases that these injections are not advised. Not so much I think anymore.
My doctor had just finished building a new building and it has everything from a Spa to a Chef on staff. I feel like all she wanted was the $1,260.00 that I paid her. When I went back to show her my face, she walked in and said "you look so good", I said no I don't and she said it again and I was in tears saying look at my face and that is when she said just go buy you some really cute readers and that will do until it goes away. I asked how long and said about two months. I asked if there was anything she could do and she said "oh I won't ever touch your face again." I think I am going to start taking pictures each day and if it does not go away I will at least have a record of how long I have been going through this. I think she should be accountable for the mess I am in even though I would never let her do any kind of surgery. I have to go to my Rheumatologist on the 24th. and he is in Dallas TX and maybe he can send me to a qualified doctor as his office is across from Baylor hospital full of all kinds of doctors. Thanks again for your support.
Wow, she's really insensitive. No matter what, she should have offered you a solution. Yes, it's a good idea to talk to your Rheumatologist but I doubt he'll have any expertise in cosmetic applications, he could advise or recommend your next step. If anything, you could see if there is a healthcare advocate in Dallas. We have one here and they take complaints. Even if you don't get anywhere, it will make you feel better and the more people that report unresolved problems with her, the more likely she will worry about how she treats people. You can also write reviews on yelp, yahoo or here as long as they are factual and unemotional, for example: After going back, my concerns were not addressed satisfactorily. Your problem may or may not a be a result of technique, but it certainly needs to be addressed and resolved!
That sounds like a good idea. I think I am going to call her office on Monday and just ask about the hylaluronidase. I feel sure she will not want to do it and will probably give me a reason since she is afraid to touch my face now. Thanks for all your help.
I thought it was supposed to go away on its on after about a year. Sounds like you are having more problems than I am. Does your lumps look like they are little sacks of water? The two I have on my cheekbones look like they are just filled with water and I am so tempted to put a needle in them and see if I can get whatever it is out. I have two under my eyes as well and they just look swollen. Did you know you were getting a cheap Chinese product? I hope I did not get that but I guess you never know. Please let me know how bad the scar is because I would rather have a scar than what I have now. I have decided to quit massaging because it is not helping. I am still doing the ice which will reduce the amount for a little while but it comes right back. What all did they tell you to do? I so hope you get better as three years is a very long time to have to deal with this.
That's true, they are supposed to go away after a year. How long has it been? If it's gone, massage won't help. That's why your whole situation is very rare. Could it still be there? Maybe within 1.5 years. But the doc would know more (I hope) than us. Like I said, I have scar tissue or a knot which I know started with a Perlane type prodcut (restylane), and it's still there, but I know it's not left over restylane, but from it. In that case of course, the enzyme won't work.
I got my first Perlane about 3 years ago and when I started getting this weird looking place on one of my cheeks I thought it was because the Perlane was gone so I went back to her in Sept of 2012 and had Perlane injected again. It has been 4 months since the last injection. When I just put ice on it, it will go down some but as the day wears on it fills right back up. I don't understand how all of it can be FDA approved and how it can stay on the market. I know that when one or two children get hurt from a product they have a total recall so why is this being allowed? I am surprised that someone has not started a class action suite against Perlane.
There are many variables.... injector, health of patient, etc. That's why you need another opinion. People die from stomach bleeding due to motrin and they won't take that off the market!
I am living your nightmare right now and my doctor told me she would not touch my face again. She told me to massage but it is not helping. I won't leave my home as it looks so bad. I don't know where to turn or who to see. I had it done in Sept. Can anyone help?
Hi, the Doctor at the Hospital is using that I think but because it can thin the skin he says that he has to do it in small doses. Hence the fact that I will have to go and see him every two months for a year ¬!!!!!! Thanks for your posting. Cheryl x
No, you're not vain.

Have you tried the enzyme hylaluronidase? It should break down the main component in perlane.

They were large enough to be very noticeable. Very distressing. I had the perlane put in over a year ago and they are still there. Either side of my mouth, under my lip above the chin where there was a line, above my mouth in two lines that I wanted filled and between my eyebrows where there were small lines. My fault for being so vain.
I get lumps and it is not unheard of. The key is if they are visible and how much?

How large are they?

Hi cheryl,

Oh my, hospital treatment for the allergy, I'm so sorry. I have heard other community members having allergic reactions to Botox or Dysport, but not yet for Perlane. Can they not just dissolve it or take it out? Please keep us updated.

-Britt