My Invisalign - United Kingdom, GB

So I've had my Invisalign trays in for 9 days now,...

So I've had my Invisalign trays in for 9 days now, and I've gotta say that so far I am loving them!
My journey started in April when I went for a free consultation to find out more about Invisalign. I didn't particularly like the dentist I saw at first but I went away armed with information on the process and decided to go ahead. So booked in for my photo-taking appointment.
Worst Pain So Far - having the evil 'lip-stretchers' put in for the photos! Oh My God, that hurt! But I felt a better rapport with the dentist by now - I think maybe a lot of people go for the FREE consultation and never have the intention to follow through which must make dentists feel like their time is being wasted.
There was a bit of concern over my bleeding gums at this point - the dentist said he wasn't happy going ahead with treatment as it looked like I may have the beginnings of gum disease (EEK!) To be honest I had never flossed up to this point and never understood how badly I was treating my teeth/gums! I paid extra to see a hygienist who gave me excellent advice and some amaaaazing floss harps, and my gums haven't bled since I started taking proper care of my teeth! A massive pro that has already come from starting the Invisalign process.
Anyway, my photos/expectations were sent off to my dentist's contact at Invisalign and I got a call saying I could definitely benefit from the treatment. So I went to have moulds taken.
Didn't find that too bad as have had it done loads of times before (I have had 3 sets of braces in the past).
My invisalign trays were ready by 15th October! So from the starting point of researching Invisalign, it took a while to actually get them - good job I'm patient :)

I spent about 8 years of my life in different types of braces/retainers and so I kinda like the familiar 'pressure' that comes with the trays. For the 5-7 days my tongue felt ripped to shreds from a sharp edge on the bottom tray but either my tongue has learnt to avoid it or has toughened up! I have also got used to talking with the trays in and can say most things without a problem - in fact it's actually harder to talk now when I take the trays out!
I think the main thing I've noticed is that my teeth already feel and look straighter to me as the trays have 'evened' out the length of my teeth if that makes sense. I also think my teeth look much whiter when the trays are in!
Another happy 'side effect' from the trays is that I no longer snack - I am too lazy to keep brushing my teeth so it's much easier to stick to just meals! I also can't bite my nails which is a bonus.
There are two things I am currently struggling with - one is not being able to drink coffee whenever I like (I used to always have a coffee on the go)...the other thing is cracked lips, but I'm hoping that will get better over time.

So far so good....HOWEVER, I am having some attachments put on on the 12th November so I might decide I hate Invisalign then :P The trays at the moment are definitely invisible - none of my colleagues knew I'd got my braces, but I have read terrible things about attachments. I can't remember exactly, but I do think I need them on most of my front teeth.
It will be worth it if I get straight teeth eventually though!

Had these trays for 24 days now!

...and the plastic is definitely not coping with the extended time frame! They aren't very clean any more even though I have followed all my dentists' recommendations, plus it would seem I am grinding/biting with them in as I have worn off the part of the tray where the top and bottom back molars meet!
So I am REALLY looking forward to Tuesday and getting my next set of trays, even if that does mean the dreaded attachments :(

One weird thing I have noticed is a strange sporadic 'crampy' feeling in the muscle that runs underneath my jawline and down my neck - probably due to unusual/different grinding.

I've got to say I am already bored of flossing/brushing so often, but it's good for me really so I'll keep it up. Even thought I might lose a little weight from not snacking all day but I just binge eat when I take the trays out instead lol :)
Think the bit I miss most is sitting around after a meal with the taste of yummy food still in your mouth, maybe having a leisurely chat and coffee etc, but no, straight to mint flavour cleanliness for me!

Will update on Tuesday when I have my new trays/attachments! Eek!

Got the attachments!

I must say that when they were first done I was horrified - I honestly think that if they were on my front teeth I would've cried. I couldn't care less about the bottom ones (I think there's 8 on the bottom), but the ones on my eye teeth are pretty noticeable. They make my eye teeth look a really weird shape and I'm so aware of them when I smile. HOWEVER, even after only 2 days I'm not too bothered any more - it's a means to an end and everyone I've spoken to says that yes, they are a bit visible, but they look very obviously like temporary dental treatment as opposed to just completely bizarre natural teeth!

Having the attachments put on was fairly brutal - the second one stuck a bit too well but stuck the tray onto it as well so the dentist had to struggle quite a bit to get it off - that was painful enough to produce a bloody gum and a few tears!
There were times where I had water (at least I guess that's what it was) running down my face/back of my neck due to the dental nurse being a bit useless (she is a temp and seems to be new to the whole 'saliva needs to be sucked away' thing). And at one point I swallowed something that tasted very bitter, not sure what that was.
All in all, I'm glad I've got them all done and sorted now and don't have to have more put on.

When I took the trays out for the first time there were more tears (and I'm not a crier, honest!), and I had a brief moment where I really thought I wasn't going to be able to remove the top tray at all! I've now learnt that to take the trays out I have to pretty much put my whole hand inside my mouth to loosen the trays from the inside edge, while my other hand pulls the tray over the attachments at the front. Not the prettiest look in the world! Also quite painful when it finally pings off. I have tried the retainer remover thing that the dentist gave me but it's useless, just slides over the plastic.

Eating with the attachments on isn't great either - food gets left around them so at the moment I am avoiding eating in front of anyone and rushing off to brush my teeth as soon as I've finished my meal.

Staying positive though, I have got a nice gentle pressure from the trays themselves, I can tell they are doing their job and feel which teeth are being moved which is good. I've got the next 2 sets (3&4) so am all set up for the next 6 weeks,

I also got my clincheck emailed to me which is motivating - I have uploaded a screenshot of the before/after clincheck, although from the front-on view there isn't that much difference as most of my issues is how my teeth are from a side-on view.

Oh, and I also had a bit of 'filing' between the teeth done (can't remember the proper name!)...anyway that was something I was a bit worried about but that was so easy, quick and painless!

3 Months in...

And still going strong! Had a bit of a difficult time around Christmas - lots of eating out, going out where there were snacks etc...so probably wore the trays less than the recommended 22hrs a day, but have got back on track now.
The teeth that bother me most are my front four teeth at the top and I'm now starting to notice movement in that area. I think the previous trays have been more focussed on my bottom teeth.
Went to the dentist about 3 weeks ago and he says it's all tracking nicely so I'll take his word for it! He did have to do more 'filing' between my bottom teeth though.

Only problem I am having at the moment is one really sensitive tooth along the bottom - not pain due to movement but proper sensitivity to cold and even brushing it is a bit ouchie. It's where I needed the most filing but dentist assured me that filing doesn't take off so much enamel as to cause sensitivity! I'm not convinced though as it has started since my last appointment. I even have to wear a scarf covering my mouth if there's a cold wind as breathing in cold air is so painful! Hopefully it will pass as my teeth go where they are supposed to...I will be a bit disappointed if I get left with 24/7 sensitivity at the end of my treatment :(

I must say that I don't even notice the attachments any more - I think they have been slightly stained by coffee and match my teeth better now!

Had to update!!!

A colleague (who knows I'm wearing the braces) said to me today 'I never really saw a problem with your teeth but I have definitely noticed a change in them recently - your front teeth don't look so sticky-outy as they were'....yay! Means it's working lol :D
Also I had a check up 27th Jan and got my next set of trays - have already taken a sneaky peak at tray 11 (I am on 7 now) and they look great!
Had to have some more IPR at my appointment and think I will probably have to go back for more in a couple of weeks - my bottom teeth are quite crowded.

Mentioned the sensitivity to my dentist and he was slightly concerned at the length it's been going on but said it's probably due to the fact that the IPR spaces them apart and then they are touching again as they move so it's an unusual situation for teeth to be in. He recommended leaving sensitive toothpaste on the affected teeth for longer than usual but other than that he thinks it's temporary and I need to wait it out. I can deal with that, and tbh they are already feeling slightly better since the new lot of IPR.

Hit the halfway point!

Well I'm halfway there, not got much time to do an in depth review tonight but just wanted to post a pic of the beginning next to tray 10 of 20.
Gotta mention before I forget though, tray 8 did not feel right at all - it wasn't at all painful when I first changed but gradually got worse over the fortnight of wearing it. Hurt all my bottom teeth and I've got this weird feeling that it's actually moved some of the teeth that were actually straight already (!) Definitely gonna mention it to dentist when I go on 24/3, but didn't feel it was enough to make an extra appointment for as pain receded when I moved on to tray 9.